[REMOVE ADS]

Thread: Van McCoy

Van McCoy

I love the Van McCoy produced David Ruffin albums, did he produce any albums/singles for other Motown artists?

Hi masterblaster, I have to get in here before Gary does [[haha) but, yes, he DID! Only a few though.

He produced three songs on Thelma Houston: "Don't Pity Me" and "Find A Way" from 1978's Two To One [[a 'duet' album with Jerry Butler containing solo tracks from each artist) and "You Were Never My Friend" which was released belatedly on Thelma's 1982 album Reachin' All Around [[an LP of old Motown recordings released to cash in on Thelma's success at RCA I believe). "Don't Pity Me" was also released as a single [[TMG 1117) in the UK, in September 1978. There might be a few more tracks in the vaults but these are the ones that definitely exist.

Van McCoy also wrote -- specifically for Joe Frazier and therefore specifically for Motown -- a song entitled "First Round Knockout", but he didn't produce it! The song was released as a single on Motown [[M 1378F) in September 1975. Of course, Van did produce a version of the song by David Ruffin, for his 1976 album Everything's Coming Up Love.
    Last edited by TomatoTom123; 05-29-2017 at 09:41 PM.

Sorry, I forgot to say, I LOVE those David Ruffin albums too!!! The Thelma Houston tracks with Van McCoy tracks are also fantastic... "Don't Pity Me" is mellow and groovy and "You Were Never My Friend" is a rather catchy disco number.

Quote Originally Posted by TomatoTom123 View Post
    Hi masterblaster, I have to get in here before Gary does [[haha) but, yes, he DID! Only a few though.
    Tom, you took the words right out of my mouth! HaHa!

He worked with Gladys Knight and the Pips after they left Motown. He produced their album "Still Together". One of my favorites

Quote Originally Posted by vgalindo View Post
    He worked with Gladys Knight and the Pips after they left Motown. He produced their album "Still Together". One of my favorites
    I love the Van McCoy-produced tracks from that album, too, vgalindo. "Home Is Where The Heart Is" will always be one of my favorites.

He worked with Gladys Knight before Motown too and there were some great tracks which later appeared on their Tastiest Hits album which significantly included "Giving Up". He has done more work with other artists at Motown I think too I saw some the other day I'm sure so let me think now...

Name:  av-5.jpg
Views: 254
Size:  21.1 KB
    Speaking of Van McCoy working for Motown, Van also worked for Ed Wingate's Golden World Records in 1962. He ran a session recording Cleveland's Leroy Smalley, which had one single Golden World 45 release.
    Last edited by robb_k; 05-30-2017 at 09:22 AM.

While Motown alumni Robert Bateman produced it, Van McCoy wrote Flo Ballard's second single "Love Aint Love".