[REMOVE ADS]

The Supremes - Unknown Radio Interview '71

Great interview here :

I was just going to post this. Just finished listening to this. Love it

This was with DJ Dick Biondi who at the time I think was in Chicago or NYC. This interview is telling and among the most candid where Jean broke from protocol and let her feelings about racism be known

They were in Chicago

Quote Originally Posted by blackguy69 View Post
    I was just going to post this. Just finished listening to this. Love it
    Me, too! Man, what a hard-hitting interview. No softballs to be found...or is that powder puffs?

Thanks Marv! I will need to check this out.

Quote Originally Posted by Luciano View Post
    Thanks Marv! I will need to check this out.
    You are welcome Luciano.

This was a great great interview. Thanks much Marv. So articulate and honest. A possible Supremes Tv show was mentioned again. Was this a serious possibility?

Quote Originally Posted by luke View Post
    This was a great great interview. Thanks much Marv. So articulate and honest. A possible Supremes Tv show was mentioned again. Was this a serious possibility?
    It was talked about again when Scherrie Payne joined the group.

Quote Originally Posted by sansradio View Post
    Me, too! Man, what a hard-hitting interview. No softballs to be found...or is that powder puffs?
    You ain't joking. I was surprised by some of the topics.

You ain't joking. I was surprised by some of the topics.
    Remember this was 1971 and they spoke about legalizing marijuana. It was also 2 years before Rowe vs Wade and they discussed legalizing abortions. I was surprised they did not mention [[unless I missed it) Chicago being Jean's hometown. I was in Chicago that year visiting relatives for about a week.

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    Remember this was 1971 and they spoke about legalizing marijuana. It was also 2 years before Rowe vs Wade and they discussed legalizing abortions. I was surprised they did not mention [[unless I missed it) Chicago being Jean's hometown. I was in Chicago that year visiting relatives for about a week.
    Good point Marv! I was just surprised they were asking The Supremes these questions. I am guessing they knew before hand.

I didn't hear about Jean being from Chicago but about them not getting airplay on R&B radio in Chicago.

Good point Marv! I was just surprised they were asking The Supremes these questions. I am guessing they knew before hand.

I didn't hear about Jean being from Chicago but about them not getting airplay on R&B radio in Chicago.
    I do remember hearing "Stoned Love" almost all the time when we were over there back then. "Nathan Jones" no so much on Soul stations though.

Mary said something about being to Jeans mothers house .

Jean was actually born in Belzoni, Mississippi. I think she moved to Chicago aged 6 or 7?? Will catch this interview later when I have time to enjoy..

Quote Originally Posted by waynesville View Post
    Jean was actually born in Belzoni, Mississippi. I think she moved to Chicago aged 6 or 7?? Will catch this interview later when I have time to enjoy..
    Yeah she will tell you that Chicago is her hometown. Mary was born in Greenville, MS but grew up in Detroit and it is her hometown.

Quote Originally Posted by luke View Post
    Mary said something about being to Jeans mothers house .
    Yes Ms. Annie. She passed away not long before I met Jean in Detroit. I remember her Detroit relatives speaking about it with her.

Yeah she will tell you that Chicago is her hometown. Mary was born in Greenville, MS but grew up in Detroit and it is her hometown.
    I
    interesting...I didn't know Mary was a Mississippi girl by birth

absolutely remarkable stuff - thanks Marv so much for finding and posting

I
    interesting...I didn't know Mary was a Mississippi girl by birth
    Yes! Mary's family was like many, many African American families that were part of the great migration North from Mississippi and other places in the South during the early to mid 20th Century.

absolutely remarkable stuff - thanks Marv so much for finding and posting
    Waynesville, you are most welcome!

listening to this again.....and checking against what Mary wrote...
    "true to her word, Jean Terrell maintained her individuality and was completely honest and forthright with the press. Motown had abandoned its policy of overseeing press access and so we were free to say what was really on her mind. and Jean did."
    and..to me a fantastic compliment..."Like Flo, Jean was incapable of pretending to believe in something she didn't. She felt very strongly that entertainers should address social and political issues."
    But....
    "Jean knew that joining the group meant conforming to our image both on and off the stage. Being a Supreme really was a 24 hour a day job."

Did this interview prompt those observations??