[REMOVE ADS]

50 yrs ago The Supremes Sing Rodgers & Hart was released

Just four months after presenting an album of the songs of their Motown collaborators Holland-Dozier-Holland, the Supremes were back in stores with their 11th studio set on 22 May 1967. This time, in considerable contrast, they were visiting the musicals.

Their new release, their last before Diana Ross was given “name above the title” billing, was The Supremes Sing Rodgers & Hart. Produced by Berry Gordy and Gil Askey, it featured a dozen covers of the show tunes of the celebrated writing duo of Richard Rodgers and Lorenz Hart.... http://www.udiscovermusic.com/storie...o-the-musicals

love this album

I love it, too! Gil Askey was the master at arranging tunes in a jazzy style that perfectly suited Diana Ross as well as The Supremes. When it worked, it was Motown magic!

Add me to the list of those who love this album. It's one of my favourites of any album they did.

Diana Ross excels on this type of material and there is strong backup from Flo and Mary which makes this a great group effort.

It's an album I still play regularly today.

On iTunes, the original 12 track cd has be "remastered for iTunes."

However, the expanded iTunes edition has not been remastered. Any thoughts on this?

Quote Originally Posted by Philles/Motown Gary View Post
    I love it, too! Gil Askey was the master at arranging tunes in a jazzy style that perfectly suited Diana Ross as well as The Supremes. When it worked, it was Motown magic!
    Totally agree. This was my favourite left field Supremes album. I didn't much care for the sam cooke, Liverpool, funny girl, and c&w albums , but this one worked a treat. Diana rarely sounded better.

honest man Guest
    Love this set the vocals.production are excellent just funnily enough played expanded version on Saturday[been a long time] cheers.,

The original release isn't one of my favorites, though it has some great numbers on it. And I hate the album cover. The outtakes from the sessions are fantastic. I play those much more than I play most of the songs from the original album. But the girls sound great throughout and I love Askey's arrangements.

Quote Originally Posted by RanRan79 View Post
    The original release isn't one of my favorites, though it has some great numbers on it. And I hate the album cover. The outtakes from the sessions are fantastic. I play those much more than I play most of the songs from the original album. But the girls sound great throughout and I love Askey's arrangements.
    RanRan, I can't believe you hate the album cover! It's one of my favorites. My original cover is a little banged up but I'm looking for a nice clean copy so I can hang it on my wall.

Quote Originally Posted by thommg View Post
    RanRan, I can't believe you hate the album cover! It's one of my favorites. My original cover is a little banged up but I'm looking for a nice clean copy so I can hang it on my wall.
    It's mainly the fact that Motown used such a dated photo. There's an obvious difference visually between the Supremes of early 1965 and early 1967. They grew even more beautiful and definitely more glamorous. There were tons of photos they could have used. Even the back photo would have made a better cover. As far as the illustrations, I don't mind that part.

This is a good example of different individual tastes. I liked that album cover a lot. It was iconic looking and I always thought that it would make a nice framed poster. I didn't album inside so much as that is not my type of music.

Attachment 12963
    Last edited by marv2; 05-23-2017 at 05:19 PM.

I agree with the poster idea. I have my in a frame hanging up, one of my fav lp covers along with Greatest hits 67.
    I love Manhattan with Diana and Florence dueting. very nice indeed. love the entire lp

Another useless release. They can't do standards well. Berry Gordy was selling out anyway with all these CROSSOVER releases. Redicuious. He didn't release great songs that end up in the vault for years but he'll release many crossover releases. He should be in the nut barn.

Quote Originally Posted by biggestfourtops fan View Post
    Another useless release. They can't do standards well. Berry Gordy was selling out anyway with all these CROSSOVER releases. Redicuious. He didn't release great songs that end up in the vault for years but he'll release many crossover releases. He should be in the nut barn.
    hehehehehehehehe.........LOL!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by biggestfourtops fan View Post
    It is all a matter of personal opinion, but with the exception of r&h i didn't get much out of their versions of standards , so i guess i almost agree with you, but i do love their versions of "wonderful, wonderful" and "stranger in paradise".

It was hearing The Supremes sing standards on television that drew my parents to liking them. After that, they gave the pop songs a chance and loved those as well. But, the standards gave the group a sophistication that other pop groups just didn't have in my parents eyes.

The Supremes' recordings of standards and show tunes broadened my musical tastes during that era. I still enjoy the Rodgers and Hart album, and I also felt the cover art was very good and appropriate for that time and genre.

Of course our opinions are based on personal tastes, but IMO the Supremes soared above their fellow girl groups not only because of their great hits, but also because they sang a lot of standards and they sung them very well. I prefer the regular Motown sound stuff to the standards, but the Supremes were outstanding when they sung this kind of stuff.

sensational album, iconic cover art of the group in all their glory,probably my longest lasting favorite start to finish Supremes album...period..

This is my favorite Supremes album and I think their best 60's album. Top notch across the board - production, arrangements, vocals, etc. Even the 13 unreleased tracks from the proposed 2-LP set are equally outstanding. This album proved why they were so special and it set them a part from just about every other group of that era.

It should be noted that even though Motown had their artists do these standards for a broader, crossover appeal, Mary Wilson has stated they loved singing these songs.

Quote Originally Posted by bradsupremes View Post
    This is my favorite Supremes album and I think their best 60's album. Top notch across the board - production, arrangements, vocals, etc. Even the 13 unreleased tracks from the proposed 2-LP set are equally outstanding. This album proved why they were so special and it set them a part from just about every other group of that era.

It should be noted that even though Motown had their artists do these standards for a broader, crossover appeal, Mary Wilson has stated they loved singing these songs.
    I cannot speak for Mary, Flo and Cindy but Diana certainly loved performing these songs, and rarely objected to Berry's insistence on recording them and including them in their live shows.

I was very disappointed with the album cover as soon as I saw it because it was so obvious that the lead singer was being separated out from the other members of the group.

honest man Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by MrBlues View Post
    I was very disappointed with the album cover as soon as I saw it because it was so obvious that the lead singer was being separated out from the other members of the group.
    Yes i love the cover have it on display on my wall,find it interesting that from an album cover you really thought Diana was being singled out,maybe your inner conscience really told you that was the plan because of her star quality,not starting anything with Mary- Flo just think you had great taste,cheers.

oh please... boo hoo.. that's why it's called the'lead' singer... the 'front' person'... ask Martha, Smokey, or the young Michael Jackson,all about it [[to name a few) and then there's the matter of being the 'front person' of the biggest U.S. recording group of the 1960's..her head should have gotten much bigger than it actually did..another type of person , being subjected to such hate, might not have saved someone from losing their house with an interest free loan, or paid the hospital expense bills of a deceased group member's children..there are some silly folks here! and none of the still living members care one bit about all this snip and snipe..but whatever makes you happy, have at it!

Really? I guess Diana is separated from the other two in the photo but I've never thought there was a point to it. I think that it might be more happenstance than purposeful. I just wish the photo had been a current photo.

Oh good grief! If it's not one member going off because someone [[me) says they don't think Mary is on a certain song, now it's someone else going off because someone was disappointed that Diana seemed to be singled out from her group mates in a photo. What the everlasting f**k is wrong with you people?? This is a serious question. What in the world has Diana Ross and Mary Wilson ever done for anyone on Soulful Detroit [[other than give you great music) that causes such fierce defending of them, even when they haven't been attacked? This is another serious question. Anyone who can answer either one shall receive my eternal gratitude. I would reward you with cash but it aint that serious.

Haa... hey, RanRan, I don't think the answers to your questions actually exist. If they did the world would be a better place... lol

Oh good grief! If it's not one member going off because someone [[me) says they don't think Mary is on a certain song, now it's someone else going off because someone was disappointed that Diana seemed to be singled out from her group mates in a photo. What the everlasting f**k is wrong with you people?? This is a serious question. What in the world has Diana Ross and Mary Wilson ever done for anyone on Soulful Detroit [[other than give you great music) that causes such fierce defending of them, even when they haven't been attacked? This is another serious question. Anyone who can answer either one shall receive my eternal gratitude. I would reward you with cash but it aint that serious.
    RanRan79 Even psychiatrists will say that most people who are constantly negative actually have some deep seated anger/emotional issues. They are 'good people', however, feel the need to validate themselves or their "favorite" by putting someone else down.

It's similar to saying something like, "I sure do like Singer X" and follow it by saying, "She's not like Singer Y who can't even come in from the rain." You know, dishing out an underhanded compliment in order to put down someone else.

I'll cease this posting with my words, "My Supreme is better than your Supreme, and that's a fact" LOL
    Last edited by jobucats; 05-25-2017 at 12:20 PM.

Really? I guess Diana is separated from the other two in the photo but I've never thought there was a point to it. I think that it might be more happenstance than purposeful. I just wish the photo had been a current photo.
    I don't think Diana was purposefully separated from the group members in that photo.

The photo used was taken at a live performance and the way the ladies were usually situated on stage was that Diana was always off to the side and downstage left while Mary and Cindy were upstage right.

Name:  supremes.jpg
Views: 432
Size:  99.5 KB

Name:  74001242.jpg
Views: 396
Size:  34.7 KB

Sing R&H is one of my favorite albums and album covers. Besides being great graphics and art it fits the theme of the album. I think using an older picture of the group shown performing blended perfectly with the album art.

As for thinking that this album cover singled-out the lead singer from the group, I didn't sense that at all with this album. Well not any more than Meet [[Mary and Flo in shadow behind Diana [on second cover]), Liverpool & Merry Christmas [[Mary and Flo behind Diana), & Sam Cooke [[Diana in front and appearing more prominent).
    Last edited by johnjeb; 05-25-2017 at 03:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by TomatoTom123 View Post
    Haa... hey, RanRan, I don't think the answers to your questions actually exist. If they did the world would be a better place... lol
    Tom there's surely an answer. Whether the people my comment pertained to will be honest enough to answer it, will be the interesting thing to watch.

Quote Originally Posted by jobucats View Post
    RanRan79 Even psychiatrists will say that most people who are constantly negative actually have some deep seated anger/emotional issues. They are 'good people', however, feel the need to validate themselves or their "favorite" by putting someone else down.

It's similar to saying something like, "I sure do like Singer X" and follow it by saying, "She's not like Singer Y who can't even come in from the rain." You know, dishing out an underhanded compliment in order to put down someone else.

I'll cease this posting with my words, "My Supreme is better than your Supreme, and that's a fact" LOL
    You summed it up well Jobucats. That's so sad. That mentality brings down the atmosphere of the forum. Let's be clear, folks can come at me from every which way in response to anything I have to say in this group. If you can dish it, I can take it and throw it back at yo ass even harder, keep it moving, no hard feelings. But others who might otherwise want to contribute might feel like they have to tip toe or avoid certain subjects altogether because they don't want to be attacked. This forum should be better than that.

Quote Originally Posted by LoveSupreme View Post
    I don't think Diana was purposefully separated from the group members in that photo.

The photo used was taken at a live performance and the way the ladies were usually situated on stage was that Diana was always off to the side and downstage left while Mary and Cindy were upstage right.
    I believe the photo was taken from the Motown episode of Ready, Steady, Go.

Quote Originally Posted by johnjeb View Post
    As for thinking that this album cover singled-out the lead singer from the group, I didn't sense that at all with this album. Well not any more than Meet [[Mary and Flo in shadow behind Diana [on second cover]), Liverpool & Merry Christmas [[Mary and Flo behind Diana), & Sam Cooke [[Diana in front and appearing more prominent).
    Agreed. I don't think Ross was ever really singled out on the covers at all during the Flo era. The only thing that comes close in my mind is the More Hits cover with Diana's photo being the only one looking at the camera while Flo and Mary seem to look at her. Whether that was really by design or just the way things shaped up, I have no idea, since the subsequent albums [[during the Flo era) didn't single her out on the cover again.

Tom there's surely an answer. Whether the people my comment pertained to will be honest enough to answer it, will be the interesting thing to watch.
    Hopefully there is an answer, RanRan! As to those people giving you it, hmm, unfortunately, I doubt it. The simple fact that they engage in the type of behaviour you described likely means they won't admit to it or explain why they do it. I don't really understand it myself!