[REMOVE ADS]

Martha & Vandellas Albums Mono vs. Stereo??

Hi,

a few weeks back I discovered Martha Reeves and The Vandellas. I'm a huge fan of The Supremes/Diana Ross and didn't noticed the Vandellas with Martha in the past. Now after I saw the thread here about the Black Magic album I listend to these one, and that is fantastic.
    Than I wanted to find some infos about all there other work and find out that there aren't many albums they recorded [[compared with the Supremes).

Now, we all know that the Supremes albums are different between Stereo and Mono [[until 1967).
    Does anyone has some infos about these for Martha and The Vandellas albums.

Come and Get These Memories:
    I only can find the LP in Mono on the net. Was there a Stereo LP?
    Are there Stereo Versions on the released CD from 1994?

Heat Wave, Dance Party, Watchout:
    Diffrences in Stereo and Mono??

Where there differences in the the albums Riding High, Sugar and Spice and Natural Resources. Thou there are made after 1967 I think there were only released in stereo and from the stereo version they made the Mono versions for the UK. Is that correct???

Thanks for any help!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by mrbfly View Post
    Watchout:
    There's a most notable difference on this album — specifically on "Jimmy Mack." The mono and stereo versions sound almost like different songs altogether. The tempos are slightly different and the arrangements are totally different. Martha said that the mono version was recorded long before the stereo version. She likes both and is loath to choose a favorite, but the mono is definitely my preference. The intro on the stereo version lacks the stomps and handclaps, and has what sounds like an oboe added. In its defense, there are some little nice piano riffs added, but, to me, the song just sort of plods along and lacks the energy of the mono version.

Re the COME AND GET THESE MEMORIES album, I believe there was a stereo version released later. If I'm not mistaken, the recent Vandellas 2fer including MEMORIES and HEAT WAVE contains the stereo version of the MEMORIES album.

Off the top of my head, one difference is in the track THIS IS WHEN I NEED YOU MOST. The mono version is slightly edited in parts.

As written above, there are differences in the mono and stereo WATCHOUT! as well. I bought one version back in the 70s, but honestly don't know if it was mono or stereo. I do know that in the middle of I'M READY FOR LOVE, the girls sing

"I'm ready, I'm ready. Right now. Right now.
    I'm ready, right now. I'm ready, right now."

Whereas the more familiar version just has the girls singing

"I'm ready, right now. I'm ready, right now."

Quote Originally Posted by BigAl View Post
    There's a most notable difference on this album — specifically on "Jimmy Mack." The mono and stereo versions sound almost like different songs altogether. The tempos are slightly different and the arrangements are totally different. Martha said that the mono version was recorded long before the stereo version. She likes both and is loath to choose a favorite, but the mono is definitely my preference. The intro on the stereo version lacks the stomps and handclaps, and has what sounds like an oboe added. In its defense, there are some little nice piano riffs added, but, to me, the song just sort of plods along and lacks the energy of the mono version.
    For years, I didn't know there were two versions of JIMMY MACK. The copies I had [[WATCHOUT! and THE 64 MOTOWN HITS 70s tv collection) featured the version which starts right in with the girls singing JIMMY MACK, and has that bluesy piano playing throughout. It wasn't until I bought their ANTHOLOGY album that I heard the hit single version that starts off with a drum roll, then has the girls singing.

Ridin' High was issued to radio stations on rare white label. Some subtle differences. The begging verse of I Promise To Wait My Love is an alternate Martha vocal. We've Got Honey Love is a different mix in mono and there is some chatter at the very end. I Say A Little Prayer is extended in mono.

Quote Originally Posted by BigAl View Post
    There are 2 different versions of jimmy Mack. The original 64 version and the 67 hit version

Hi,

a few weeks back I discovered Martha Reeves and The Vandellas. I'm a huge fan of The Supremes/Diana Ross and didn't noticed the Vandellas with Martha in the past. Now after I saw the thread here about the Black Magic album I listend to these one, and that is fantastic.
    Than I wanted to find some infos about all there other work and find out that there aren't many albums they recorded [[compared with the Supremes).

Now, we all know that the Supremes albums are different between Stereo and Mono [[until 1967).
    Does anyone has some infos about these for Martha and The Vandellas albums.

Come and Get These Memories:
    I only can find the LP in Mono on the net. Was there a Stereo LP?
    Are there Stereo Versions on the released CD from 1994?

Heat Wave, Dance Party, Watchout:

Where there differences in the the albums Riding High, Sugar and Spice and Natural Resources. Thou there are made after 1967 I think there were only released in stereo and from the stereo version they made the Mono versions for the UK. Is that correct???

Thanks for any help!!!!
    About Martha & the Vandellas' Come And Get These Memories, the 1994 release is in mono and the 2002 UK 2fer release [[with Heat Wave) is in stereo. Riding High was the last album by the Vandellas to be released in mono in the US [[and only as a radio promo release). Not sure if the later albums came out in UK in mono. Other posts have noted the differences on "Jimmy Mack" & "I'm Ready For Love". And with '60s Motown, the mono mixes of the early albums [[thru at least 1967) are better.

This is a little off point as it doesn't address a full album, as far as Mono vs. Stereo, but "I'll Have to Let Him Go," was rerecorded for the Stereo issue of "16 Big Motown Hits Vol 2," which was the only release of the 11 volume series to come out on Tamla instead of Motown in the US, and which didn't get a Stereo issue until much later than the others, I think as late as '68 or even a bit later. The Stereo version was a much fuller orchestrated arrangement with much more embellished background vocals. I didn't like the song much before that, but loved it when it came out on the Stereo issue of Big Hits Vol. 2.

Quote Originally Posted by Motown Eddie View Post
    About Martha & the Vandellas' Come And Get These Memories, the 1994 release is in mono and the 2002 UK 2fer release [[with Heat Wave) is in stereo. Riding High was the last album by the Vandellas to be released in mono in the US [[and only as a radio promo release). Not sure if the later albums came out in UK in mono. Other posts have noted the differences on "Jimmy Mack" & "I'm Ready For Love". And with '60s Motown, the mono mixes of the early albums [[thru at least 1967) are better.
    I would tend to agree with you except I think the Stereo LP of "Dance Party" is much better than the Mono issue. The backgrounds are fuller, the vocals, even the background vocals, are more up front, and the sound is much more dynamic, IMHO.

Quote Originally Posted by kenneth View Post
    This is a little off point as it doesn't address a full album, as far as Mono vs. Stereo, but "I'll Have to Let Him Go," was rerecorded for the Stereo issue of "16 Big Motown Hits Vol 2," which was the only release of the 11 volume series to come out on Tamla instead of Motown in the US, and which didn't get a Stereo issue until much later than the others, I think as late as '68 or even a bit later. The Stereo version was a much fuller orchestrated arrangement with much more embellished background vocals. I didn't like the song much before that, but loved it when it came out on the Stereo issue of Big Hits Vol. 2.
    Thanks for bringing this up Kenneth because I've been confused about it. The Martha and Vandellas Anthology from the 70s was one of the first M&V albums in my collection in the 90s, so for the longest time the version of "I'll Have to Let Him Go" that I had and was used to was the one on the Anthology. To me it was a basic track, sounds like Martha, Annette and Rosalind, no frills, nothing that knocked my socks off. It's the other version which sounds to me like there's more voices in the background other than Vandellas, and the track itself has more punch, as does Martha's vocal. But I've never been sure which version is which. Is the basic version the single version? Which version is on the CAGTMemories album? [[I'm too lazy to search for my cd to find out.)

Quote Originally Posted by RanRan79 View Post
    Thanks for bringing this up Kenneth because I've been confused about it. The Martha and Vandellas Anthology from the 70s was one of the first M&V albums in my collection in the 90s, so for the longest time the version of "I'll Have to Let Him Go" that I had and was used to was the one on the Anthology. To me it was a basic track, sounds like Martha, Annette and Rosalind, no frills, nothing that knocked my socks off. It's the other version which sounds to me like there's more voices in the background other than Vandellas, and the track itself has more punch, as does Martha's vocal. But I've never been sure which version is which. Is the basic version the single version? Which version is on the CAGTMemories album? [[I'm too lazy to search for my cd to find out.)
    I think what you call the "no frills" version is the one on the Memories album and on the single, but I'm not at home presently so I can't confirm.

After the story that Martha has told about the recording being done because Mary Wells didn't show up for a session and union rules meant a singer had to be on the mike, I think the "no frills" version is probably this one, with Roz & Annette added on later.

I Should Be Proud Mono has the usual fade, but Stereo has the "evils of society" fade

Quote Originally Posted by reese View Post
    I think what you call the "no frills" version is the one on the Memories album and on the single, but I'm not at home presently so I can't confirm.

After the story that Martha has told about the recording being done because Mary Wells didn't show up for a session and union rules meant a singer had to be on the mike, I think the "no frills" version is probably this one, with Roz & Annette added on later.
    Reese, you are correct about the 2 versions.

I'm not sure the Stereo amped-up version was ever on any other US album except for "16 Big Hits Vol. 2," though it may have been on something else in the UK.

That "Vol. 2" comp also had a few other rerecordings on it, or perhaps just a few different mixes. I think the Kim Weston "Just Loving You" was on that album and the Stereo version was extended compared to the earlier Mono version of the album. It was an interesting piece and I played it to death.

I think the Kim Weston "Just Loving You" was on that album and the Stereo version was extended compared to the earlier Mono version of the album. It was an interesting piece and I played it to death.
    Not to take attention away from Martha and the Vandellas, but since you brought up Kim's JUST LOVING YOU, I heard a version where the drums on the backing track sounded very modern, not like the 60s at all. I don't remember where I heard it, it might have been on her GREATEST HITS AND RARE CLASSICS cd. But it always sounded peculiar to me.

Also, I think the recent UK 2fer of COME AND GET THESE MEMORIES and HEAT WAVE, contained my least favorite version of HEAT WAVE.

The sax break is longer, the girls sing the last chorus in full [[as opposed to just the title), and the song fades just as they start singing "Don't pass up this chance..."

This version was also used on the 1970 collection THE MOTOWN STORY.

Also, I think the recent UK 2fer of COME AND GET THESE MEMORIES and HEAT WAVE, contained my least favorite version of HEAT WAVE.

The sax break is longer, the girls sing the last chorus in full [[as opposed to just the title), and the song fades just as they start singing "Don't pass up this chance..."

I know! I hated when they cut off that ending. They did the same on some versions of "Please Mr. Postman," where they faded before you heard "Deliver De Letter De Sooner De Better...!" That's a sacrilege!

honest man Guest
    Forget me Not has two versions if i remember a spoken part,have not listened for long time but rings a bell with me,cheers.

You're right; the UK 2fer of Come And Get These Memories/Heat Wave does contain that edit of "Heat Wave" that fades out on the line "don't pass up this chance". For me, the best version is the one included on The Motown Box [[Shout! Factory-2005). This is the full length [[over 3 minutes) version with the complete sax break and the complete 'call & response' finale from Martha & Co. Check it out -

https://youtu.be/8wHTk8Ftmmk

I'm aware of the full-length "Forget me Not" with the monologue before the last chorus and I'm aware of the edited version without the monologue which we made a hit in the UK. One of several US Motown B-sides that the UK released as A-sides and turned into hits.

Thanks Reese. Makes sense.

Reese, you are correct about the 2 versions.

I'm not sure the Stereo amped-up version was ever on any other US album except for "16 Big Hits Vol. 2," though it may have been on something else in the UK.
    I can't even remember where I got the "amped-up" version. It's on my laptop as a single file, which I uploaded from something in my cd collection. Just can't remember what cd it came from.

Not to take attention away from Martha and the Vandellas, but since you brought up Kim's JUST LOVING YOU, I heard a version where the drums on the backing track sounded very modern, not like the 60s at all. I don't remember where I heard it, it might have been on her GREATEST HITS AND RARE CLASSICS cd. But it always sounded peculiar to me.
    Hi reese, now I'm not at all sure about this but that song with the 'modern backing track' sounds like it could be rerecording done at Motorcity Records? I believe Kim did quite a lot of work with Ian Levine including remakes of her Motown songs and new material. I haven't checked but she may have rerecorded "Just Loving You" for the Motorcity project.

Quote Originally Posted by TomatoTom123 View Post
    Hi reese, now I'm not at all sure about this but that song with the 'modern backing track' sounds like it could be rerecording done at Motorcity Records? I believe Kim did quite a lot of work with Ian Levine including remakes of her Motown songs and new material. I haven't checked but she may have rerecorded "Just Loving You" for the Motorcity project.
    NOPE! I'm wrong... just talkin' nonsense again. She did rerecord "Helpless" and "Take Me In Your Arms" but not "Just Loving You". There is, however, a live version of "Just Loving" that exists, so maybe it was this version you heard? But it was recorded live at one of Motown's Motortown Revues in the '60s, so that wouldn't explain the 'modern' backing track. Hmm...

NOPE!

There is, however, a live version of "Just Loving" that exists, so maybe it was this version you heard? But it was recorded live at one of Motown's Motortown Revues in the '60s, so that wouldn't explain the 'modern' backing track. Hmm...

NOPE! I'm wrong... just talkin' nonsense again. She did rerecord "Helpless" and "Take Me In Your Arms" but not "Just Loving You". There is, however, a live version of "Just Loving" that exists, so maybe it was this version you heard? But it was recorded live at one of Motown's Motortown Revues in the '60s, so that wouldn't explain the 'modern' backing track. Hmm...
    Thanks for the info, but like you concluded, it wasn't a Motorcity recording. I'll have to go through my cds again, but from the first time I heard it, I recall thinking that the drum sounded like it had been overdubbed in a different era.

Hi anyone,
    thanks for the great infos, so definitely worth buying the Mono-LPs ))

But I wasn't sure about the Riding High LP.
    On Discogs I see that there is also a US-Mono-LP [[not a Promo) the Label is white and not purple. Is that the White-Label-LP you are talking about???
    So this is different to the Stereo Version, than?!

Thanks

Hi anyone,
    thanks for the great infos, so definitely worth buying the Mono-LPs ))

But I wasn't sure about the Riding High LP.
    On Discogs I see that there is also a US-Mono-LP [[not a Promo) the Label is white and not purple. Is that the White-Label-LP you are talking about???
    So this is different to the Stereo Version, than?!

Thanks
    On Discogs, you'll notice the catalog number for that 'white label' copy of Ridin' High is GLP-926DJ meaning that it was sent to radio only. I've never heard it so I don't know if it's different from the stereo version. It's too bad we don't have a Complete Motown Albums collection for Martha & the Vandellas. The Marvelettes' great Forever More collection had both the mono & stereo versions of "The Pink Album" and Sophisticated Soul [[and the mono version of SS was another one that was only sent to DJs).

Side 1 of the Martha and The Vandellas LIVE! album is different in mono. It is a different performance.

Side 2 is the same on both the mono and stereo versions, however I have not listened closely enough to determine if there are any differences in sound quality.