[REMOVE ADS]

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    Oh yeah, I rememeber Arlans well. I was just telling my oldest nephew about it last week, along with Rinks' Bargain City. LOL
    I built my Motown collection of LPs from their cut out bins! I still remember, they were 88 cents. Found all the early Marvelettes, Miracles, those early "Motown Special" comps there. I always wonder what I might have passed over with my limited budget at the time!

The Supremes' "This Is Why I Believe in You" was a serious misfire. No hook, all over the place...how could this have made the cut when a lush, exquisite track like "Can We Love Again" languished in the vaults?

[QUOTE=TomatoTom123;387798]Lol... how many Debbie Dean fans actually are there?

Now, Paul, I am going to make you like, no, perhaps even love, a song by Debbie Dean. Hopefully you haven't heard it before.

Exactly Tom none I hope ha ha ha.
    Now I've listened to 'Why Am I Loving You' it should be renamed 'Why Did I Listen To It' please someone put that back in the vault.

agree Sans! Yuk. I hated When Can Briwn Begin...syrupy. Most of Webb album brilliant and ahead of its time!! You're My Driving Wheel ...really?? Shake Sherry, Twistin Postman, Do you know where you're going to...who cares? Yuk

Quote Originally Posted by arr&bee View Post
    The marvelettes are my girls,but[i'm gonna hold on as long as i can] shoulda been left in the can.
    I love "I'm Gonna Hold On As Long As I Can". Especially the longer intro. They kicked ass with that one.

Quote Originally Posted by sansradio View Post
    The Supremes' "This Is Why I Believe in You" was a serious misfire. No hook, all over the place...how could this have made the cut when a lush, exquisite track like "Can We Love Again" languished in the vaults?
    Agreed, although I dig the rehearsal recording. There are a couple of cuts on Supremes '75 I would have kicked off and replaced. "Can We Love Again" would have definitely made it.

Quote Originally Posted by luke View Post
    agree Sans! Yuk. I hated When Can Briwn Begin...syrupy. Most of Webb album brilliant and ahead of its time!! You're My Driving Wheel ...really?? Shake Sherry, Twistin Postman, Do you know where you're going to...who cares? Yuk
    I love "When Can Brown Begin" only because of Jean's vocal. The lyrics...Anyway, I love Scherrie's vocal on "Driving Wheel" but it really wasn't good enough to be a single. I love "Shake Sherry" but agree with you on "Twistin Postman" and "Do You Know Where You're Going To". I hate those two songs with a passion.

Quote Originally Posted by RanRan79 View Post
    Agreed, although I dig the rehearsal recording. There are a couple of cuts on Supremes '75 I would have kicked off and replaced. "Can We Love Again" would have definitely made it.
    I agree. TIWIBIY was an unholy mess and should have been binned along side the dreary "where is it i belong". They should have been replaced with "can we love again" and "bend a little". That would have made the Supremes75 album a minor gem.

Quote Originally Posted by RanRan79 View Post
    I love "When Can Brown Begin" only because of Jean's vocal. The lyrics...Anyway, I love Scherrie's vocal on "Driving Wheel" but it really wasn't good enough to be a single. I love "Shake Sherry" but agree with you on "Twistin Postman" and "Do You Know Where You're Going To". I hate those two songs with a passion.
    Driving Wheel was probably the weakest cut on the MSS album and never had a hope in hell of becoming a hit. Can i also admit to never liking Stevie's "fingertips"? I just do not get that song!

Caston and Majors LP, dont know why I bothered to get the cd.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebrock View Post
    Driving Wheel was probably the weakest cut on the MSS album and never had a hope in hell of becoming a hit.
    Agreed. I would have chosen either "Sweet Dream Machine" or "Love I Never Knew You Could Feel So Good" if Motown was hellbent on ending things on an uptempo note.

Quote Originally Posted by kenneth View Post
    I built my Motown collection of LPs from their cut out bins! I still remember, they were 88 cents. Found all the early Marvelettes, Miracles, those early "Motown Special" comps there. I always wonder what I might have passed over with my limited budget at the time!
    I built mine from Woolco's cut out bins LOL! Woolco was owned by Woolworths. They were a larger discount dept. store along the lines of Arlan's. I could get something like 10 albums for $12 there in 1974.

I built mine from Woolco's cut out bins LOL! Woolco was owned by Woolworths. They were a larger discount dept. store along the lines of Arlan's. I could get something like 10 albums for $12 there in 1974.
    I remember Woolco but don't think there were any near where I lived. I remember at Arlan's, after a while the albums would be reduced to three for $1! And they had just rows and rows of them. I was the proverbial kid in the candy store.

I remember Woolco but don't think there were any near where I lived. I remember at Arlan's, after a while the albums would be reduced to three for $1! And they had just rows and rows of them. I was the proverbial kid in the candy store.
    The Arlans we use to shop at in the sixties and just into the early seventies was losing ground and eventually close because of stores like Woolco, Meijer's Thrifty Acres, K-Mart and in a way Montgomery Wards. Still I have great memories of Arlans with the best popcorn on Earth and the little rides for kids right in front of the store. Remember? Arlans did have a pretty deep record section. I bought that first Supremes and Four Tops album there during Christmas 1970.

Quote Originally Posted by McMotown View Post
    Exactly Tom none I hope ha ha ha.
    Now I've listened to 'Why Am I Loving You' it should be renamed 'Why Did I Listen To It' please someone put that back in the vault.
    Oh dear... I failed! LOL

I have to say I love "Why Am I Lovin' You?"...! I'm not a massive fan of Debbie Dean's voice but she gives it a good go and the backing track has an almighty KICK! The song is a cracking uptempo Northern BANGER!
    Last edited by TomatoTom123; 05-23-2017 at 08:16 PM.

the Supremes ...,Run Run Run.....hate it.
    ........................Your My Driving Wheel....yep the weakest track
    ........................Everybodys Got The Right To Love.....not a single
    ........................I Guess Ill Miss The Man....syrupy
    ........................The Composer.....nope....Livin in Shame syrupy lyrics.....

Diana ......Sleepin
    ...............Work That Body
    ...............Workin Overtime

Quote Originally Posted by mowest View Post
    “Laughing Boy” by Mary Wells was a poor follow up to “Two Lovers.” Surprising it made R&B top ten and Pop top 20.
    Name:  av-5.jpg
Views: 559
Size:  21.1 KB
    I like “Laughing Boy” a lot, and I liked "In My Lonely Room", "Wild One", "Live Wire" and "Quicksand". So, maybe I don't have good taste.

Thanks for the support for "I Tried." Always nice to know you are not alone in this world.

Quote Originally Posted by robb_k View Post
    I like “Laughing Boy” a lot, and I liked "In My Lonely Room", "Wild One", "Live Wire" and "Quicksand". So, maybe I don't have good taste.
    Thumbs up to all of the Vandellas' hits mentioned here except for Live Wire; it’s just too frantic. I think “In My Lonely Room” would have done better if it followed “Quicksand."

Oh yeah, I rememeber Arlans well. I was just telling my oldest nephew about it last week, along with Rinks' Bargain City. LOL
    Kenneth and Marv: you guys remember Spartans on Michigan Ave just east of Inkster? I got most of my Motown collection there at around $1.00 per album. They carried a lot of Diane's and Stevie's music in the cut out bins, in addition to a healthy supply of basic top forty pop music. I unloaded nearly all my physical music a while back in an effort to "spartonise" my life - no pun intended! I can still remember when I bought a certain album cause not too much money when I was a young kid! Great memories.

Quote Originally Posted by detmotownguy View Post
    Kenneth and Marv: you guys remember Spartans on Michigan Ave just east of Inkster? I got most of my Motown collection there at around $1.00 per album. They carried a lot of Diane's and Stevie's music in the cut out bins, in addition to a healthy supply of basic top forty pop music. I unloaded nearly all my physical music a while back in an effort to "spartonise" my life - no pun intended! I can still remember when I bought a certain album cause not too much money when I was a young kid! Great memories.
    DET, I remember Spartan's but the one I remember I think was a supermarket. I remember Deluxe Records on Linwood Ave., Kendricks and some other Detroit Stores.

Quote Originally Posted by detmotownguy View Post
    I don't remember Spartan's. But what a place it was to find records, that city. Amazing number of music and record stores.

I still remember going to Grinnell's downtown [[or later I think they also had a store at Northland) and seeing all the beautiful instruments. I loved Raynoma's book because she talked about buying the Ondioline [[that early version of a synthesizer which was all over the Marvelettes' first album and other early Motown tracks) at Grinnell's.

If I had known about Spartans at the time, I definitely would have been there.

And Marv, I do remember the popcorn at Arlan's but not the kiddie rides. I was probably in too much of a hurry to get in and go through the record cut-out bins!

I don't remember Spartan's. But what a place it was to find records, that city. Amazing number of music and record stores.

I still remember going to Grinnell's downtown [[or later I think they also had a store at Northland) and seeing all the beautiful instruments. I loved Raynoma's book because she talked about buying the Ondioline [[that early version of a synthesizer which was all over the Marvelettes' first album and other early Motown tracks) at Grinnell's.

If I had known about Spartans at the time, I definitely would have been there.

And Marv, I do remember the popcorn at Arlan's but not the kiddie rides. I was probably in too much of a hurry to get in and go through the record cut-out bins!
    the kiddie rides amounted to not much more than one of those coin operated horses LOL! To kid that was big deal. Anyway. I remember Grinnell's. There are 2-3 new yuppie type record stores that opened in Detroit in the last few years where they have listening rooms etc. I have been to them yet but read an article on them. I remember reading the Michigan Chroncle and Steve Hosley's column to find out what the latest records were sometimes.

Attachment 12952
    "Custer's Last Man" IS an abomination, - one of the worst Motown releases. But not as bad as "Randy The Newspaper Boy" by Ray Oddis, or "Summit Chanted Meeting", an awful novelty "break-in record" on Mel-o-dy Records. But, "He's A Good Guy [[Yes He Is)"- by The Marvelettes is a song I like a lot.
    Hi Robb; I forgot all about "Summit Chanted Meeting" & "Randy, the Newspaper Boy"/"Happy Ghoul Tide". Those are among the worst Motown releases.

I love "Laughing Boy" too, as well as the other cuts except "Live Wire". It's cool, but not one of my favorites.

As much as I dislike Norman Whitfield's protest music...actually I HATE it..I can accept it has a place in the world.
    But as for Tom Clay...that vinyl lp was just a waste of the earths resources.
    Berry let his cronyism blind him to any sense with that one.

Tiggi Clay - Flashes

As much as i love the temps-masterpiece ain't one of my favs.

If you've got bad taste robb_k then I have too.

"Who's Johnny" by El DeBarge

The Marvelettes are my favorite Motown group, but "He's a Good Guy" one of my least favorite songs of theirs.
    Just turn the record over, kenneth. 53 years on, but when Wanda goes into the middle eight the hairs on the back of my neck still stand up. [[I know, more information than you need.)
    Last edited by keith_hughes; 05-24-2017 at 07:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by keith_hughes View Post
    Just turn the record over, kenneth. 53 years on, but when Wanda goes into the middle eight the hairs on the back of my neck still stand up. [[I know, more information than you need.)
    I was reading about the record "He's a Good Guy" on Motown Junkies which goes into detail that the part where it changes tempo is from some old folk song. That guy sure knows his stuff...!

PS That's Gladys though, not Wanda I think. Sometimes I have to listen hard to tell who's who but I'm pretty sure that one's all Gladys.

Or maybe you were talking about "Goddess of Love," which most definitely is Wanda. And are you saying your hair stands up on end, in a good way or a bad way?

The witness shall please clarify his answer. [[Sorry, it's hard not to be a lawyer sometimes.)
    Last edited by kenneth; 05-24-2017 at 08:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by daviddh View Post
    ........................The Composer.....nope....Livin in Shame syrupy lyrics.....

Diana ......Sleepin
Views: 469
    The only 2 songs on your list that I know, i like a lot. "Run, Run, Run" is BY FAR my favourite Supremes' cut. And I like "Everybody's Got The Right To Love" enough for it to be one of the few 1970s Motown singles I liked.

Views: 469
    The only 2 songs on your list that I know, i like a lot. "Run, Run, Run" is BY FAR my favourite Supremes' cut. And I like "Everybody's Got The Right To Love" enough for it to be one of the few 1970s Motown singles I liked.
    I've always liked those two songs too. "Run, Run, Run" had a power, an urgency many of the Supremes singles lacked. "Everybody's Got the Right to Love" is just a great group and sing a long record.

The witness shall please clarify his answer. [[Sorry, it's hard not to be a lawyer sometimes.)
    "Goddess Of Love", me Lud. When the hairs on the back of your neck stand up, it's just a phenomenon, they don't do it in a good way or a bad way. But if you're asking whether I like it, then I love it.

Quote Originally Posted by keith_hughes View Post
    "Goddess Of Love", me Lud. When the hairs on the back of your neck stand up, it's just a phenomenon, they don't do it in a good way or a bad way. But if you're asking whether I like it, then I love it.
    She is my all time favorite singer, bar none. You have good taste! [[Of course, I always think that when people like what I like.)

Quote Originally Posted by McMotown View Post
    Don't Let Him Shop Around love the music and lyrics it's just Debbie Dean's voice. Come to think of it probably anything by Debbie her voice just does nothing for me. Sorry Debbie Dean fans.
    I find Debbie Dean's "A New Girl" quite charming, but [[excluding novelty records) I consider "I Cried All Night" by her to be the worst ever Motown release.

Quote Originally Posted by daviddh View Post

Diana ......Sleepin
    I quite like Run run run and i always had a soft spot for IGIMTM despite hating the Jimmy Webb album. No way should EGTRTL have been a single, Loving Country should have followed UTLTTR.
    Inbox has now been cleared David. Apologies for that.

I'm hardly a fan of "Custer's Last Man", Ray Oddis, "Muck-Arty Park", Captain Zapp etc. etc. but to me they are just silly novelty items that I can't take seriously.

I would have vaulted some of those MOR/Show-Tune recordings from the mid-60's that many of the Motown stars managed to record [[were they forced or did they record them voluntarily?), they were meant to be taken seriously but they could sound so "Un-Motowny" and were like blemishes on the face of the LPs they were included in. And this one would I would have sent straight to land-fill.

Roger

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebrock View Post
    I quite like Run run run and i always had a soft spot for IGIMTM despite hating the Jimmy Webb album. No way should EGTRTL have been a single, Loving Country should have followed UTLTTR.
    Inbox has now been cleared David. Apologies for that.
    I have to agree with shelving the dismal "I Guess I'll Miss the Man." I never knew until someone on this forum told me it was the only track on the Jimmy Webb album not produced by him. And what a weird choice for a single. The song had no chorus, only a verse, was totally downbeat and depressing. They sure missed an opportunity by not promoting "5:30 Plane," for example, which IMHO contains one of Jean's best performances as a Supreme.

I have to agree with shelving the dismal "I Guess I'll Miss the Man." I never knew until someone on this forum told me it was the only track on the Jimmy Webb album not produced by him. And what a weird choice for a single. The song had no chorus, only a verse, was totally downbeat and depressing. They sure missed an opportunity by not promoting "5:30 Plane," for example, which IMHO contains one of Jean's best performances as a Supreme.
    I used to hate "I'll Miss the Man" but have come to appreciate it over the years because of Jean's vocal. And live, she just sounds so beautiful on this. But I agree about "5:30 Plane". If I were going to lift a single from the album it would have been "Plane".

Although it's a soul classic,i never cared much for stevie's[signed sealed delivered].

Quote Originally Posted by arr&bee View Post
    Although it's a soul classic,i never cared much for stevie's[signed sealed delivered].
    Really? That one never fails to make me feel good.

I think that although I am very grateful that we are still finding Motown unreleased treasures I can appreciate why some of these tracks did not get past quality control !! But I will continue to support Motown related releases from universal, Ace and who ever can get the physical CD products