[REMOVE ADS]

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Unreleased 70s Supremes Informations?!

Hi everyone,

I have heard of the following, still unreleased 70s Supremes tracks. Does anyone knows more about these songs, especially when they were recorded and who produced them:

1. That's How Much [[January 1970)
    2. [[You Went) And Stepped On My Dreams [[January 1970)
    3. Traveling Light
    4. Soft Days
    5. Remote Control
    6. Can’t You Hear Me Knocking
    7. How Long Has That Evening Train Been Gone
    8. Loneliness Is A Lonely Feeling
    9. Mind, Body & Soul
    10. You Only Miss Me When You See Me

The only ones I have found out are 1 and 2 being recorded in January 1970, I think by Frank Wilson!?

Thanks
    mrbfly

Hi mrbfly,

These are rare songs indeed! I believe they are all as yet officially unreleased. I don't think any of them are listed on DFTMC.

Interestingly some of the songs are actually available on YouTube!

"That's How Much" is likely from the Right On sessions: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5JzE6ZywfwA&app=desktop

"Travelin' Light": https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W9BRVqMK_z8

"Soft Days" is from the same sessions as the Stevie Wonder-produced "Bad Weather": https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lSxS86eF_RI&app=desktop

"Remote Control" was written and produced by Frank Wilson I believe: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JSefPjAurGQ&app=desktop

"Can't You Hear Me Knocking?": https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SYMa8OGvOsM&app=desktop

"How Long Has That Evening Train Been Gone?" was recorded by the Diana-led Supremes in 1968 but this features Jean Terrell on lead instead: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SiPqy-6gEu0

"Loneliness Is A Lonely Feeling" is a cover of the 1969 Martha Reeves & The Vandellas song: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ToYvFCQBii0

"You Only Miss Me When You See Me": https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PFJ5eG0I778
    Last edited by TomatoTom123; 05-18-2017 at 06:44 AM.

Sadly I do not believe "[[You Went) And Stepped On My Dreams" nor "Mind, Body And Soul" are available on YouTube. I should say, most of the tracks that are available have been posted by theSUPREMEscene, so, whoever you are theSUPREMEscene, thank you!!!

Also, I'm pretty sure all the songs are Jobete originals. Not sure about "Travelin' Light" or "Can't You Hear Me Knocking?" [[but neither sound like, respectively, the Cliff Richard or Rolling Stones songs so...?)
    Last edited by TomatoTom123; 05-18-2017 at 11:32 AM.

Interesting news [[mrB), and thanks [[Tom) for the links. I don't read every post here so this may have already been answered, but how do we find out that these tracks exist? Is there a comprehensive journal of recording sessions of M'twns?

I know that these sets are floating around on some older bootlegs. But I don't have any info about them

Quote Originally Posted by mrbfly View Post
    I know that these sets are floating around on some older bootlegs. But I don't have any info about them
    I think that perhaps to M'town's recording methods [[ie: instrumental cuts being used for different groups, etc) there are most likely not complete session info as we have for, say, Dylan. I'll remain happy that posters such as you & Tom id the material and find places to hear it!

We may all have the 70s bootlegs, but I do wish Universal would let George, Andy and co plunder the vaults for a "70's Supremes: Lost And Found" set. As much as I am loving "A' Go-Go" and hope the series continues, it seems the 60s has been exhausted as far as new songs goes: I'd rather have the unreleased 70s..."I'm longing for Soft Days"!

Just FYI, the one song is called, "Steppin' On A Dream," and was recorded around the same time frame [[different music track) by Jimmy and David Ruffin [[duet) and it even was released by them as a single. I'd love to have a clean, remastered copy of the JMC version!

Also, I've since discovered that "Can't You Hear Me Knockin'" by The Supremes apparently uses the same music track as the unreleased 1966 version by Brenda Holloway that was released at the end of 2016. Both were likely produced by Frank Wilson [[definitely the former), so either he reused the track on The Sups or recut it for them in an almost identical arrangement.

I must agree with MarkDTiller and say that while I love "A' Go-Go: Expanded Edition," but I am eager for the '70s Supremes to finally get another release with a proper Lost & Found set. All the bootlegs need clean, official releases and we need the other rare stuff like the alternate versions of "Up The Ladder" and the like...PLUS releasing "Sing H-D-H: Expanded Edition," TOO!
    Last edited by danman869; 05-18-2017 at 11:28 AM. Reason: Changed emoticon at end of post to website-visible kind

I HAVE ALL OF THOSE SONGS!!! Just a few examples of missed opportunities by Motown

Quote Originally Posted by markdtiller View Post
    We may all have the 70s bootlegs, but I do wish Universal would let George, Andy and co plunder the vaults for a "70's Supremes: Lost And Found" set. As much as I am loving "A' Go-Go" and hope the series continues, it seems the 60s has been exhausted as far as new songs goes: I'd rather have the unreleased 70s..."I'm longing for Soft Days"!
    I have been saying this for years. There is sufficient material to warrant a 2 cd set, and virtually all of these are from the Jean Terrell years. Very little unreleased material from the later Supremes line ups exist in the vault, but there is so much Jean led songs that are begging for release. Jean said she recorded literally dozens of songs [[often alone in the studio) that currently languish in the vaults.

Quote Originally Posted by danman869 View Post

Also, I've since discovered that "Can't You Hear Me Knockin'" by The Supremes apparently uses the same music track as the unreleased 1966 version by Brenda Holloway that was released at the end of 2016. Both were likely produced by Frank Wilson [[definitely the former), so either he reused the track on The Sups or recut it for them in an almost identical arrangement.

I must agree with MarkDTiller and say that while I love "A' Go-Go: Expanded Edition," but I am eager for the '70s Supremes to finally get another release with a proper Lost & Found set. All the bootlegs need clean, official releases and we need the other rare stuff like the alternate versions of "Up The Ladder" and the like...PLUS releasing "Sing H-D-H: Expanded Edition," TOO!
    Danman I think you're right about "Can't You Hear Me Knocking". I think the Supremes' version just has a different mix of the track that Brenda cut, but it's basically the same base.

I'm all for a 70s lost and found set, and I know one of the guys said expanded editions for the 70s albums is unlikely, but I'm holding out hope that someone will greenlight Right On expanded, New Ways expanded, Touch expanded, Floy Joy expanded. It's my understanding that the Jean years boxset was very successful, so it would seem that there's a nice size market out there for these albums. I'd rather get the unreleased tracks with the corresponding album and I'd rather have the unreleased tracks trickle out a bit instead of releasing them all at once. Kind of sad to think about the day when there just isn't anything new coming out.

When you put it like that, RanRan, I think I might agree with you!! Just knowing there are still unreleased gems waiting to be discovered and loved makes me happy. Releasing them all at once might be disappointing in the long-term.

Just FYI, the one song is called, "Steppin' On A Dream," and was recorded around the same time frame [[different music track) by Jimmy and David Ruffin [[duet) and it even was released by them as a single. I'd love to have a clean, remastered copy of the JMC version!
    Ah, OK, thanks danman! In that case, having just checked, the song is available to listen to on YouTube:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Z_gv9KKdRs&app=desktop

Ahh, so, "Can't You Hear Me Knocking?" is indeed an original Jobete tune, not the 1971 Rolling Stones song! Thanks danman. Didn't know about the Brenda Holloway version either, so will have to check that out.

It seems to me that in this 'day-and-age' this material can and should be officially available to fans, at least by download and for a fair price. The none of us are getting any younger and demand for the material will not last forever. Today I read an interesting/sad/sobering article about the dwindling interest in vintage Elvis material and collectibles. It is what it is. Make the material officially available now, I say. No one's career will suffer by us ur-fans being able to have this material officially available.

I think there is 1 out take from Floy Joy.
    also a few with Mary on lead from New Ways and a lot of outtakes from Right On.
    I think one is a cover of the Miracles Standing Ovation.

I think it's been stated there is enough songs to fill a 2-CD set.

I know we have TITS: the Jean Terrell Years, but I feel expanded editions on the Jean-led albums would provide us with more tracks. Not only unreleased tracks, but also alternate versions, different versions, alternate mixes, etc. of tracks we already know.

Quote Originally Posted by RanRan79 View Post
    Danman I think you're right about "Can't You Hear Me Knocking". I think the Supremes' version just has a different mix of the track that Brenda cut, but it's basically the same base.

I'm all for a 70s lost and found set, and I know one of the guys said expanded editions for the 70s albums is unlikely, but I'm holding out hope that someone will greenlight Right On expanded, New Ways expanded, Touch expanded, Floy Joy expanded. It's my understanding that the Jean years boxset was very successful, so it would seem that there's a nice size market out there for these albums. I'd rather get the unreleased tracks with the corresponding album and I'd rather have the unreleased tracks trickle out a bit instead of releasing them all at once. Kind of sad to think about the day when there just isn't anything new coming out.
    Sounds like a mighty fine idea RanRan79 but much as i would love to see each of the albums get the expanded treatment i don't think the idea has even been discussed in any great detail, but i think the possibility of a 70's lost and found has been briefly mentioned. That would be the cheaper option and remains the likelier option,

Thats right...the longer the companies sit on all these unreleased recordings the interest is going to get less and less by future generations...they have the potential to make make money on these now while theres still enough of us who ARE interested around to buy them.

Even if they are never released it would be nice to have the annotations completed on dontforgetthemortorcity :-)

Quote Originally Posted by bradsupremes View Post
    I think it's been stated there is enough songs to fill a 2-CD set.

I know we have TITS: the Jean Terrell Years, but I feel expanded editions on the Jean-led albums would provide us with more tracks. Not only unreleased tracks, but also alternate versions, different versions, alternate mixes, etc. of tracks we already know.
    Methinks some acronyms should be avoided...LOL...!

I would much prefer to have a Lost & Found set with the unreleased recordings. I don't really want to buy more expanded editions of albums that have been recently released - that doesn't make my wallet very happy. It's one thing if the album hasn't been remastered since the 80's or 90's since technology has advanced so much. But, the Jean Terrell years was not that long ago and sounded pretty damn great. Just the songs I don't already have will be enough for me.

If I'm correct, the Mary lead songs were to be given their own cd

In addition to these tracks, are there others on YouTube that are still unreleased? If so, can you provide the links? Please???

Quote Originally Posted by kenneth View Post
    Indeed. Some titular iterations can end up a bust; we'll need to keep abreast of this in the future; this one, for sure, is a hooter!

Quote Originally Posted by mrbfly View Post
    Hi everyone,

I have heard of the following, still unreleased 70s Supremes tracks. Does anyone knows more about these songs, especially when they were recorded and who produced them:

1. That's How Much [[January 1970)
    2. [[You Went) And Stepped On My Dreams [[January 1970)
    3. Traveling Light
    4. Soft Days
    5. Remote Control
    6. Can’t You Hear Me Knocking
    7. How Long Has That Evening Train Been Gone
    8. Loneliness Is A Lonely Feeling
    9. Mind, Body & Soul
    10. You Only Miss Me When You See Me

The only ones I have found out are 1 and 2 being recorded in January 1970, I think by Frank Wilson!?

Thanks
    mrbfly

"Soft Days" was recorded in '73 I believe.

Quote Originally Posted by PeaceNHarmony View Post
    Indeed. Some titular iterations can end up a bust; we'll need to keep abreast of this in the future; this one, for sure, is a hooter!
    We better quit before we get shut down!

Quote Originally Posted by daviddh View Post
    I think there is 1 out take from Floy Joy.
    also a few with Mary on lead from New Ways and a lot of outtakes from Right On.
    I think one is a cover of the Miracles Standing Ovation.
    I think you're confusing The Miracles' "Special Occasion" with "Standing Ovation." IIRC, the track was assigned to The Supremes and background vocals were recorded, but then Martha Reeves was brought in to lay down a lead on the track. I'm not certain whether Jean ever got a shot or not. Martha's version was released on her Lost & Found.

Last edited by danman869; 05-19-2017 at 01:30 PM.

I agree; there may be some boobs here with no sense of humor so let's nip it in the bud.

I agree; there may be some boobs here with no sense of humor so let's nip it in the bud.
    Hey, thanks for the mammaries anyway!

It seems to me that in this 'day-and-age' this material can and should be officially available to fans, at least by download and for a fair price. The none of us are getting any younger and demand for the material will not last forever. Today I read an interesting/sad/sobering article about the dwindling interest in vintage Elvis material and collectibles. It is what it is. Make the material officially available now, I say. No one's career will suffer by us ur-fans being able to have this material officially available.
    I like the anticipation of something new being released, but I understand the desire of some to get it all out as soon as possible.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebrock View Post
    Sounds like a mighty fine idea RanRan79 but much as i would love to see each of the albums get the expanded treatment i don't think the idea has even been discussed in any great detail, but i think the possibility of a 70's lost and found has been briefly mentioned. That would be the cheaper option and remains the likelier option,
    I posed this idea a short time ago and I think it was Andy who popped in to say that it was highly unlikely.

I had to laugh out loud at this. Lol

Hey, thanks for the mammaries anyway!
    LOVE IT!!! [[I think we've milked this for all it's worth ...)

Hey! Don't knocker it till you try it! Sorry, I had to get that out of my system. Carry on....

Quote Originally Posted by DJMoch View Post
    Hey! Don't knocker it till you try it! Sorry, I had to get that out of my system. Carry on....
    ... I think you meant to say you had to get it off your chest ...

honest man Guest
    How Long has that evening train been gone ,terrible mess ,whats all the wailing and shrieiking about had heard this version years ago but forgotten about it,now i remember why, although their version of Jimmy's and David's Stepping on my dream Is'nt too bad,cheers

I totally agree with you PeaceNHarmony and I feel the same way. Not just The Supremes but also for many of the Motown artists, I have found that some of the songs that were left in the vaults I have really enjoyed and become favorites.

I posed this idea a short time ago and I think it was Andy who popped in to say that it was highly unlikely.
    I fear you are correct my friend but we must live in hope, however remote the possibility is.

Quote Originally Posted by mistercarter2u View Post
    In addition to these tracks, are there others on YouTube that are still unreleased? If so, can you provide the links? Please???
    Hi mistercaster, I had a check and I'm not sure if there are any more unreleased Supreme songs available on YouTube...? theSUPREMEscene uploaded most of the rare cuts previously posted so I'd check that account out: https://www.youtube.com/user/theSUPR...ne?app=desktop
    Last edited by TomatoTom123; 05-20-2017 at 09:47 AM.

I think this 70s supremes lost and found set would sell out in a minute if it were released as I think there are some gems left with Jean. not crazy about the How Long Has The Evening Train Been Gone. Remote Control is , I think , could been a single,..Traveling Light is also nice treat .

with all these gems , it amazes me Motown didn't jump in the vaults and pull some of these out to fill in the gaps. I would have released Life Beats in summer of 70 after EGTRTL as there seems to be a gap and , that song wasn't a huge hit. and 1971 kicked off good but the second half needed some new supremes material. and 1973 was a dud of a year other than BW but I think BG only cared about making movies by this time and deserted all the artists over the next few years.

... but it was supposedly Smokey running Motown at this time, right? If Smokey was in charge of the records division I think these may have been more his decisions.

Luciano - Yes, I agree with the general high quality and release-ability of this material. If nothing else 'the label' could release it to I-tunes for fans to buy on a song-by-song basis. All the links Tom listed here are terrific material; the YT version of 'Promises Kept' that I posted a link to a while back is also superb. WAAYYY to much great material deteriorating in vaults ...

Quote Originally Posted by daviddh View Post
    I think this 70s supremes lost and found set would sell out in a minute if it were released as I think there are some gems left with Jean. not crazy about the How Long Has The Evening Train Been Gone. Remote Control is , I think , could been a single,..Traveling Light is also nice treat .
    I'm not sure Evening Train was ever recorded to be released. I remember reading somewhere some years back that Evening Train was a part of a vaulted tape labeled simply "Jean Terrell". I believe it was this that gave speculation to Jean joining Motown originally as a single artist before it was decided she would take Diana's place. Of course Jean has since put that rumor to bed: she signed with Motown as a Supreme, not a solo act. So my belief is that Evening Train- and whatever else might have been recorded during that particular session- may have just been test runs to see how Jean sounded on record. I find it hard to believe that after DRATS recorded Evening Train that someone would think it a good idea to have the new Supremes do it too. [[Although I guess it is possible considering Diana covered "Keep An Eye" and it actually got released.)

But I agree David, "Remote Control", if mixed properly, might have been a hit. I also think "You Only Miss Me When You See Me" is great. The version I have is clearly bootleg so I would love to hear a professionally released version.

would be cool to have these tracks. but I am grateful to what we do have and for the individual who posted the lost gems. I used to have a cassette years ago but I think I bit the dust.
    I do recall the supremes recording with Frank Wilson in 1973 and I think Love train came from that session. and I think Remote Control,.i think a few other but I can not recall them.
    did frank Wilson ever give an interview regarding working with the supremes and why he stopped producing them

Luciano - Yes, I agree with the general high quality and release-ability of this material. If nothing else 'the label' could release it to I-tunes for fans to buy on a song-by-song basis. All the links Tom listed here are terrific material; the YT version of 'Promises Kept' that I posted a link to a while back is also superb. WAAYYY to much great material deteriorating in vaults ...
    Yes indeed PNH!! It's all fantastic, stuff, especially considering it's all from bootlegs. I forgot to say you are very welcome for all the links, it was great discovering them on YouTube.

I'm not sure Evening Train was ever recorded to be released. I remember reading somewhere some years back that Evening Train was a part of a vaulted tape labeled simply "Jean Terrell". I believe it was this that gave speculation to Jean joining Motown originally as a single artist before it was decided she would take Diana's place. Of course Jean has since put that rumor to bed: she signed with Motown as a Supreme, not a solo act. So my belief is that Evening Train- and whatever else might have been recorded during that particular session- may have just been test runs to see how Jean sounded on record. I find it hard to believe that after DRATS recorded Evening Train that someone would think it a good idea to have the new Supremes do it too. [[Although I guess it is possible considering Diana covered "Keep An Eye" and it actually got released.)
    Interesting RanRan. Motown were just checking out the new lead singer for their best-selling act of all time? Makes sense I guess!

But I agree David, "Remote Control", if mixed properly, might have been a hit. I also think "You Only Miss Me When You See Me" is great. The version I have is clearly bootleg so I would love to hear a professionally released version.
    I just love "Remote Control"...!! The sound quality of it on a bootleg, however, is not great. With an official, clean release and a proper, good mix the song would just be fantastic!

Quote Originally Posted by TomatoTom123 View Post
    I just love "Remote Control"...!! The sound quality of it on a bootleg, however, is not great. With an official, clean release and a proper, good mix the song would just be fantastic!
    I agree Tom. I think I'll listen to it right now. Lol

I agree Tom. I think I'll listen to it right now. Lol
    You go for it, RanRan. I might too...

Quote Originally Posted by TomatoTom123 View Post
    Sadly I do not believe "[[You Went) And Stepped On My Dreams" nor "Mind, Body And Soul" are available on YouTube.

Here's: "Mind, Body and Soul" for your listening pleasure, enjoy!
    Last edited by Weslley Francisco; 05-26-2017 at 04:05 PM.