[REMOVE ADS]

Rare Mary Wells Image

Hi guys,

Classic Motown have dug out a rare photo of Mary Wells and revealed the story behind it. It makes for an interesting read:

http://classic.motown.com/story/story-behind-image-3/

Hope you enjoy!

Great article. That picture makes her look older than she was at the time.

Haven't we seen that photo on the Lost & Found set, or maybe on the Ace 2-fer? Perhaps it was just a different pose from the same photo session.

Yes, the way she is styled definitely makes her look older. She must have been, what, 16 at the time?

But that's true for many of the ladies from that era. Tina Turner looks older on her Sue albums than she does in the "Proud Mary" era. Martha Reeves looked younger in the 70s than I think she did when she was with the Vandellas. Even Mary Wilson looked younger in the second incarnation of the Supremes than during the Diane-led years!

Quote Originally Posted by kenneth View Post
    Haven't we seen that photo on the Lost & Found set, or maybe on the Ace 2-fer? Perhaps it was just a different pose from the same photo session.

Yes, the way she is styled definitely makes her look older. She must have been, what, 16 at the time?

But that's true for many of the ladies from that era. Tina Turner looks older on her Sue albums than she does in the "Proud Mary" era. Martha Reeves looked younger in the 70s than I think she did when she was with the Vandellas. Even Mary Wilson looked younger in the second incarnation of the Supremes than during the Diane-led years!
    Yes, we've seen that photo of Mary Wells on the front cover of her Lost & Found collection [[as well as on Page 26 of TCMS-1959/1961). It's nice to know the story behind that picture of her.

Excellent article! Thank you Hitsville Jazza

Thanks nice article.
    Thought the picture was from the lost and found collection.

Funny, I have been reading the Peter Benjaminson book and listened to Mary all day today [[Sings My Guy and Two Sides Of albums)! She's one of the greatest!

Quote Originally Posted by carlo View Post
    Funny, I have been reading the Peter Benjaminson book and listened to Mary all day today [[Sings My Guy and Two Sides Of albums)! She's one of the greatest!
    She really was one of the greatest! I heard most of her early songs as a very little kid. Mary was my Aunt Fannie's favorite singer and when she would come over to baby sit she would bring her Mary Wells records and would play them over and over and over.........LOL!

Quote Originally Posted by carlo View Post
    Without question, Carlo! I just finished the Benjaminson yesterday and loved it.