[REMOVE ADS]

Remembering samuel "sammy" davis, jr. [[december 8, 1925 - may 16, 1990) [05/16/2017]

Thanks for posting this. We sometimes tend to overlook the 'pioneer' artists like Sammy. He was a real triple threat with great singing, dancing and acting skills.

He was very popular here in Australia and performed here many times over the years.

It's a pity his stay at Motown was so brief. Wouldn't it have been great to have heard an album by him produced by someone like Smokey or Stevie!

I love Sammy. He is my favorite male singer of all time. His autobiographies are great reading, too. I think during his lifetime he was too often thought of as a "sellout" because he let himself be the butt of many jokes to the Rat Pack and others, but he was truly a crusader who lived a very difficult life, especially early on in the army, on the vaudeville circuit with the Will Mastin Trio, and his marriage to May Britt. I think the one thing no one disputed was that he had an enormous talent. I don't think he ever turned in a mediocre performance.

God bless Sammy. Kenneth, you're absolutely right about his memoirs; they are required reading. Sammy is such a complex and fascinating figure. It's a shame that his prodigious talents were sometimes obscured by unfortunate political choices. He deserves to be remembered as much more than the caricature he's often reduced to.

@sansradio, do you prefer his earlier recordings on Decca or his later Reprise? I like them both, but I think the Decca stuff he just seemed to be working harder. His "Birth of the Blues" is a classic. Of course, his buddy Sinatra's Reprise label really let him stretch out. His album of impersonations and the one honoring the stars of the London Palladium are both really excellent.

Quote Originally Posted by kenneth View Post
    I love Sammy. He is my favorite male singer of all time. His autobiographies are great reading, too. I think during his lifetime he was too often thought of as a "sellout" because he let himself be the butt of many jokes to the Rat Pack and others, but he was truly a crusader who lived a very difficult life, especially early on in the army, on the vaudeville circuit with the Will Mastin Trio, and his marriage to May Britt. I think the one thing no one disputed was that he had an enormous talent. I don't think he ever turned in a mediocre performance.
    Totally agree Kenneth. Such a brilliant all round entertainer but it his singing that i will ultimately remember him for. Such a warm rich and versatile voice, and i totally agree about his autobiographies. essential reading.

@bluebrock, I'll ask you the same question. Do you prefer his earlier Decca or later Reprise recordings? [[Of course, if you're in the UK, I guess these might have been on different labels. I think Decca is London in the UK, maybe?)

Quote Originally Posted by Ozmo View Post
    Thanks for posting this. We sometimes tend to overlook the 'pioneer' artists like Sammy. He was a real triple threat with great singing, dancing and acting skills.

He was very popular here in Australia and performed here many times over the years.

It's a pity his stay at Motown was so brief. Wouldn't it have been great to have heard an album by him produced by someone like Smokey or Stevie!
    A Sammy Davis Jr album produced by Smokey would have no doubt been a winner!

To me, he was really "Mr. Entertainment" because he could do it all. Sing, dance, comedy, dramatic acting or just hosting his own talk show. Sammy could do it all!

@sansradio, do you prefer his earlier recordings on Decca or his later Reprise? I like them both, but I think the Decca stuff he just seemed to be working harder. His "Birth of the Blues" is a classic. Of course, his buddy Sinatra's Reprise label really let him stretch out. His album of impersonations and the one honoring the stars of the London Palladium are both really excellent.
    For me, the Decca years have the edge. He was in his vocal prime, hungry and earnest. Of course, his Reprise era holds plenty of treasures as well, but I lean Decca.

@bluebrock, I'll ask you the same question. Do you prefer his earlier Decca or later Reprise recordings? [[Of course, if you're in the UK, I guess these might have been on different labels. I think Decca is London in the UK, maybe?)
    I have to say the Decca years. Whilst i also love the reprise years too, i do think he was treading water at times probably due to feeling more relaxed. His decca vocals have more depth and clarity and are edgier than the later recordings. He probably felt like he had to prove himself more so i have to go for the decca years.

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    To me, he was really "Mr. Entertainment" because he could do it all. Sing, dance, comedy, dramatic acting or just hosting his own talk show. Sammy could do it all!
    Absolutely. His enormous talent could hardly be contained in one field of pursuit. He puts to shame [[as do many of the all around performers from that era) the singers today who have all the technical wizardry available to them and still barely manage to eek out a single and stay on key.

@sansradio and @bluebrock, thanks for your opinions. I too prefer the earlier Decca catalogue. His phrasing, his diction, his energy all seemed to be on all cylinders, whereas during the Reprise years he sometimes seemed to be on auto pilot. He still did make some great albums, though, like the ones I mentioned above, the one with Sam Butera & the Witnesses, and I think the live albums are also great. How fortunate that he was so prolific.

Does anyone know if Motown has anything in the vaults on him? It seems it would have come out by now, but one never stops hoping. Wouldn't a "Sammy Lost and Found" be wonderful?

One of the greatest entertainers of all times. Broke down many doors for others that got overlooked.

I never cared much for sammy's records,now as an actor he was cool,his western appearances were top notch[sammy was noted as the fastest draw among all western actors with ben murphy second]for me his greatest role was as a soul singer in[the name of the game]he should've gotten an emmy for that one.

Quote Originally Posted by Encyclopedia Mack View Post
    One of the greatest entertainers of all times. Broke down many doors for others that got overlooked.
    Sammy is still under recognized in my opinion.

Several interviews and books mention an album Marvin wrote for Sammy. Was anything ever recorded? Now THAT would be worth unearthing!

Quote Originally Posted by BritishTony View Post
    Several interviews and books mention an album Marvin wrote for Sammy. Was anything ever recorded? Now THAT would be worth unearthing!
    I would love to hear that.