[REMOVE ADS]

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Quote Originally Posted by RanRan79 View Post
    I know they had one but that was a few years before I was born.
    Ohhhhhh.....ouch! LOL!

Quote Originally Posted by bradsupremes View Post
    I love TCB. GIT...not so much. The whole Broadway concept ruined GIT. The songs, the skits, the awful set, etc. It's so dated whereas TCB holds up. It's clear GIT was used as a showcase for Diana's talent at the expense of both groups; however Motown should have stuck to the TCB concept and built it around their duet LPs. It would have been a perfect showcase to see the groups perform "I'm Gonna Make You Love Me" and "I'll Try Something New" since we have no footage of them doing it together. They could have done "The Weight." A performance could have helped bump the song up the charts. GIT was a missed opportunity.
    I think I'm going to agree here. The Broadway concept was mostly a poor idea, although I think Diana was brilliant in her leading lady medley. Your idea about the second special being built around the duet albums is spot on. For all of Motown's perfect decisions they sure did some stupid shit sometimes. Why in the world would they not take a moment to have these two groups do their huge hit record "I'm Gonna Make You Love Me"? Why weren't they even booked on Sullivan for that joint performance?

Quote Originally Posted by TheMotownManiac View Post
    I really wish Jean Terrel had given her solo act a real chance plus had been much easier to work with. We have missed out on a lot by not having a succession of Jean Terrel albums.
    Agreed. Jean was so fantastic. It's disappointing that her post Supremes recording career is relegated to one underrated album and a handful of demos[[?). Could you imagine what would have happened had she hooked up with Michael Masser in the early 80s, doing the type of stuff he was producing on Diana Ross and Dionne Warwick? Jean had the goods but the bull apparently got in the way.

Quote Originally Posted by johnny_raven View Post
    Why should that offend anyone? It's your opinion. I agree with you somewhat, but the Sups and Tops had some interesting tracks. They managed to get a #10 hit with River Deep-Mountain High. That's higher than Tina Turner ... pun intended
    The real sad thing is that someone felt the need to apologize for possibly offending someone with an opinion about music. Anyway, I definitely prefer the Supremes and Tempts pairing as they are my two favorite groups, period. But I think the Supremes and Tops had some great moments together. It was just too ambitious to think that the duets were worth three albums instead of one. I wonder if it had been a better idea to pair the 70s Supremes with the 70s Temptations.

Red face

Quote Originally Posted by jobeterob View Post
    They were in decline. You just can't cope with the thought 50 years later. After this time, they had virtually no hits - especially your Supremes. That is called in decline.

It's the kind of thing about Mary Wilson having no hits; you don't like it but that's what happened.

Your Diane became a STAR STAR STAR. Your Mary became an afterthought or footnote to Diane's STARDOM. Mary copes with it but it's hard for you.
    say it, say it, say it, say it again.....

I really liked TCB album and special. but my complaint was the supremes segment was the same songs they did on the recent TALK OF THE TOWN.......Somewhere.....With a Song In My Heart. nothing new. the Funny Girl would have been nice,imo, although I liked these songs it was a bit SOS...and some new material would have been nice. I think including songs from Join would have been a great idea.didnt need the Diana dance routine.imo but it was 1968 and overall a good special.
    I agree on TOGETHER, some good tracks and some ok.
    1970 I thought the supremes were doing just fine but the hits were becoming more infrequent but by no means was either group finished. all groups go into decline.lol
    GIT was visually cool looking but album wise.omg. cant believe they even released this as an album.just my opinion.
    been listening to You Move Me and But I Love You More a lot lately, beautiful songs

honest man Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by honest man View Post
    Myself thinks River Deep was the worst track from M7 era although i love the Supremes-4 tops pairings and tend to play these more than DRATS-Tempts albums, M7 Together we can make....-For your love-Taste of honey etc are on par with Why must ...- i second that emotion-i'll try something new i reckon all these duets albums where a success Audio wise for me,i love them all ,im going to pull my M7 complete duets out right now,.Bluebrock good to see you back here cheers.
    Back to this have played complete duets twice in 2 days i just love these albums,don't know why they are n't popular with some folks how can you not love the infectious Bigger you love [j Jackson also done a crackin version of this song]I'll promise not to cry- It's impossible and beautiful sultry ballad Lets make love now Call me i could go on yes a couple of duff songs but 90 percent songs quality especially the people invoved in projects Ashford-Simpson,Clay Mcmurray-Frank Wilson etc i could go on forever about these albums got to be in my top 20 Motown Albums along DRATS Join Tempts ,cheers.

Back to this have played complete duets twice in 2 days i just love these albums,don't know why they are n't popular with some folks how can you not love the infectious Bigger you love [j Jackson also done a crackin version of this song]I'll promise not to cry- It's impossible and beautiful sultry ballad Lets make love now Call me i could go on yes a couple of duff songs but 90 percent songs quality especially the people invoved in projects Ashford-Simpson,Clay Mcmurray-Frank Wilson etc i could go on forever about these albums got to be in my top 20 Motown Albums along DRATS Join Tempts ,cheers.

I agree. I love these albums. I think the second one [["Return") suffers a bit from having too many originals and not enough covers. It was really fun to hear their take on songs like "You've Got What it Takes" [[where it sounds like they were having so much fun), "River Deep, Mountain High," and one of my favorites "Without the One You Love." But the 2nd album eventually grew on me as well.

The "Magnificent" set is a great piece. I play it a lot too, Honest Man.

honest man Guest
    You are so right Kenneth forgot to mention Without the one i put it right on par, if not better than the original,cheers.

There are some great tunes the two groups recorded together. My favs are "Knock On My Door", "Without the One You Love", "Where Would I Be Without You", "Hello Stranger" "What Do You Have to Do", "Call Me" "Hold On to Me", "When I'm With You", "Do You Love Me Just a Little", "I'm Glad About It" and "I Can't Believe You Love Me". I actually prefer their version of "I Can't Believe" to Tammi's.

You are so right Kenneth forgot to mention Without the one i put it right on par, if not better than the original,cheers.
    I agree. I love both versions but I think there's a chance that I might love the duet version just a tiny bit more.

i thought Function and the junction was really good.surprised it was left off the Dynamite lp. could of been a single.
    there were some good songs on the Duets cd

Quote Originally Posted by BayouMotownMan View Post
    I loved TCB, even though it was a little glossy. Loved the orchestra and plexiglass stage. Diana was in her element during I Hear A Symphony and The Impossible Dream.

My only complaint was Diana's "hiccup." She did it after virtually every line of You Keep Me Hangin' On. What cute at first [[Love Is Here) became annoying.
    LOL...I thought I was the only one who was irritated by Diana's "hiccup" phase.

It is so unprofessional and the fact that Berry allowed it is confusing. He should have pulled her to the side and told her to knock it off. I can't listen to "Talk of the Town" because of it.