[REMOVE ADS]

Please return your love to me-a temps classic of course...but...?

We all know and love this classic and one of eddie's best leads,now this is my question,this song from the summer of[1968]which is when david got fired...had david stayed would this song have been released or did berry put it out while they were getting dennis ready?give me your feedback on it.

I think it's probable that the song was being readied as a single already because it's just that good. It probably worked to their advantage to be able to release such a top notch cut during the Ruffin-Edwards transition with a lead voice that the public was already comfortable with.

Quote Originally Posted by arr&bee View Post
    We all know and love this classic and one of eddie's best leads,now this is my question,this song from the summer of[1968]which is when david got fired...had david stayed would this song have been released or did berry put it out while they were getting dennis ready?give me your feedback on it.
    Totally correct observation. The past run of big hits were off of Ruffin's voice with a couple of exceptions. Motown was trying to minimize his departure by putting out a Kendricks lead. It's a gorgeous song that should have done better but it had already gotten lots of FM play so it wasn't really "new" anymore. Because of Ruffin, when Dennis joined Otis and the fellas did not want another full "lead" singer which is why most releases featured all of the Tempts on lead.

Quote Originally Posted by BayouMotownMan View Post
    Totally correct observation. The past run of big hits were off of Ruffin's voice with a couple of exceptions. Motown was trying to minimize his departure by putting out a Kendricks lead. It's a gorgeous song that should have done better but it had already gotten lots of FM play so it wasn't really "new" anymore. Because of Ruffin, when Dennis joined Otis and the fellas did not want another full "lead" singer which is why most releases featured all of the Tempts on lead.
    Makes total sense.

I don't think it had to do with any of it. By the way, this song is always in my Motown Top 10, possibly Top 5 favorites. I have to check, but I think "Please Return Your Love to Me" may have been recorded before 1968.

You're half right Marv, the band-track was recorded in late '67 and The Temps laid down their vocals in early '68. It was originally on the "Wish It Would Rain" album and I'm pretty sure that David had already officially left the group before that album's release, which is probably why Eddie sang lead.

Quote Originally Posted by motownjohnny View Post
    You're half right Marv, the band-track was recorded in late '67 and The Temps laid down their vocals in early '68. It was originally on the "Wish It Would Rain" album and I'm pretty sure that David had already officially left the group before that album's release, which is probably why Eddie sang lead.
    Thanks MotownJohnny. Do you remember the video tape of the photo session for the cover of "I Wish It Would Rain"? It look like part of a "Laugh-In" skit. It use to be up on Youtube.

This track was not released in the UK...Tamla Motown issued "Why did you leave darling" instead.
    At the time, The Temptations were not that well known to the general 'pop' buying public.
    David Ruffin would not be really known at that time....Jimmy was of course.

So the EK/DR issue wasn't relevant here.

I just found out my memory hasn't failed me! The Temptations did appear on Laugh-In on February 26,1968 which was Season 1 Episode 6

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0062601/epcast

Quote Originally Posted by motownjohnny View Post
    Yes, that was Motown doing damage control and easing the public into a big shakeup. Flo was out of the group a couple months before the 1967 Greatest Hits package came out and she was prominent throughout the package, even an 8 X 10 of her. Likewise when Vernessa Mitchell left High Inergy in 1979 their third lp had no group shot on it. But we weren't stupid, we all knew these people were gone

This song is... sublime! Quiet, low-key, unassuming... yet wonderful!!!

That 1:24 mark just gets me every time...

If that was Motown doing damage limitation then it was great move. Just another amazing Eddie lead.

According to the 50th anniversary singles collection the vocals were recorded on February 16 and 20th 1968. David is on the background according to it as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Encyclopedia Mack View Post
    According to the 50th anniversary singles collection the vocals were recorded on February 16 and 20th 1968. David is on the background according to it as well.
    It's just a great song and one of my all time favorites. Everyone I knew then loved it.

I now wonder all of these years later about how much did the producers of this particular song direct Eddie on how it should be sung or did they give him the lyrics and let him work his magic.

Well he was called[one take eddie]so i guess once he got the song down,that was it.

Well he was called[one take eddie]so i guess once he got the song down,that was it.
    I don't ever remember Eddie making a bad song.....period. He was an extremely talented guy that deserves more recognition for his body of work.

To me-the greatest first tenor in the history of soul music.

To me-the greatest first tenor in the history of soul music.
    I'll agree with you there arr&bee, what fantastic voice.

I'm sure you recall his[1979]arista lp-something more with the excellent-i just want to be the one in your life..pleasure man..something more-i never used to dance,as good as his[motown]work but not a big seller,but one of his best.

Eddie was the best! He sang background better the a lot of his contemporaries could lead at first tenor. Plus, he transitions from his natural to falsetto and back were seamless! He raised the bar that still appears unreachable to most first tenors since! He's probably sitting at God's feet singing right now.

Quote Originally Posted by Detroitspride View Post
    Eddie was the best! He sang background better the a lot of his contemporaries could lead at first tenor. Plus, he transitions from his natural to falsetto and back were seamless! He raised the bar that still appears unreachable to most first tenors since! He's probably sitting at God's feet singing right now.
    You always heard Eddie's distinctive voice when he was in the background. I learned that Eddie was mostly responsible for working out the harmonies on the early Temptations records.