[REMOVE ADS]

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    ...any Facebook members here may have seen in the... Motown From The Vaults ...group ...that we've featured 100s ...if not 1000s ...of Motown covers in recent years...!

...a guy ...not previously mentioned on this thread ...who had a few hits in the UK with Motown covers ...was Donnie Elbert ...here's a few of his best ...enjoy

...Where Did Our Love Go

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_BdbT1rzYyQ

...I Can't Help Myself

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d4oSceVa4Zw

...Love Is Here And Now You're Gone

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VK_xFr7xD1E

...This Old Heart Of Mine

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aOsqOxzzIPc

...Come See About Me

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uB91Rk8Hjb4

...Get Ready

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ohHJqb_uFJE

…also …check out Val Palmer’s Motown covers

…Back In My Arms Again

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ds8vE0TElTs

…When The Lovelight Starts Shining Through His Eyes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=08SlBgOXA5k

…the most unusual ‘finds’ were perhaps these …from Blondie

…Seven Rooms Of Gloom

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rauPQ49PvXY

…The Hunter Gets Captured By The Game

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YagpRkBx3R0

…my fave Motown cover must be this …from Ella Fitzgerald

...Get Ready

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3p1dvNjaPG4

Last edited by grapevine; 05-20-2017 at 12:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by splanky View Post
    I thought this was a quite interesting thread, though I really don't
    care much about ideas about "superiority"...I've heard a lot of the
    covers here and own a few of them. Wilson Pickett's You Keep Me
    Hanging On has long been a favorite. I'm just happy that so many
    folks have knocked down the erroneous notion that Motown music
    is somehow a sacred thing that "shouldn't " be covered by non
    Motown artists. As a fact that Motown music has long entered the
    jazz pantheon, with Stevie Wonder being the most covered artist,
    I've enjoyed this stuff for many years now. I'd be here all morning
    listing examples which I won't but as far as R&B/Soul is concerned
    I was quite fond of the Junie era Ohio Players cover of Marvin Gaye's
    What Goin' On...The nod was well understood and taken...
    Splanky my use of the word "superior" is all about one's personal taste and which version- if any- any one person prefers over the Motown original. It's all art, which means it's up to everyone's particular interpretation. No right or wrong. Not really even better or worse. But I suppose I should have used the word "prefer" instead of "superior". It might have made the thread a little more inviting.

Quote Originally Posted by sansradio View Post
    Donny Hathaway's "What's Going On" is also spectacular.
    Hell yeah.

Quote Originally Posted by grapevine View Post
    ...a guy ...not previously mentioned on this thread ...who had a few hits in the UK with Motown covers ...was Donnie Elbert ...

…also …check out Val Palmer’s Motown covers

…Back In My Arms Again

…When The Lovelight Starts Shining Through His Eyes

…the most unusual ‘finds’ were perhaps these …from Blondie

…Seven Rooms Of Gloom

…The Hunter Gets Captured By The Game

…my fave Motown cover must be this …from Ella Fitzgerald

...Get Ready

I have Donnie's "Where Did Our Love Go" on a compilation cd from years ago. I didn't like it. Val Palmer actually did a decent job with "Back In My Arms Again". Her "Lovelight" didn't do anything for me. I love almost anything Blondie does. Their version of "Hunter" is fantastic. Ella just proves she can do anything.

How about this . . . .

Quote Originally Posted by Jaap View Post
    Nona had come a long way from her Bluebelle days. Lol I was all prepared to hate this. I love Nona's voice but she often makes music that doesn't do anything for me. While this version of "Itchin" still isn't something I would play, it's much better than I thought it would be. It's a good cover.

My fave version of "Love Hangover" ...

Quote Originally Posted by jsmith View Post
    My fave version of "Love Hangover" ...
    I love the instrumental!

Quote Originally Posted by RanRan79 View Post
    I have Donnie's "Where Did Our Love Go" on a compilation cd from years ago. I didn't like it. Val Palmer actually did a decent job with "Back In My Arms Again". Her "Lovelight" didn't do anything for me. I love almost anything Blondie does. Their version of "Hunter" is fantastic. Ella just proves she can do anything.
    Yes to Donnie Elbert's "Where Did Our Love Go?"

Didn't[rod stewart]do a nice version of[girl why you wanna make me blue]?

How could I forget Jodeci's cover of "Lately"? I dig Stevie's version. Love it. But Jodeci's version is my absolute favorite.

At the risk of being denounced as a heretic, banished from SDF and forced to live out my days on a remote desert island listening to nothing but the "best" of Mrs Miller I have to go on record that my favourite version of "Ain't No Mountain High Enough" is the version by Inner Life that came out on Salsoul circa 1981.

Those vocals by Jocelyn Brown, that production by Patrick Adams, those swirling strings and those kettle drums [[not to mention the freaky "moog" instrumental break) I find totally irresistible. Mind you it HAS to be the original LP version for me, rather than some of those attempts to "improve" it that have occurred over the years.

Here it is in all its 8 minute glory ..........

Roger

Hey roger, this is probably similarly blasphemic but I do love The Whispers' 1979 disco cover of "My Girl"...

"She's my girl, she's so fine
    She's my girl, she's fine as wine!"

Quote Originally Posted by TomatoTom123 View Post
    Hey roger, this is probably similarly blasphemic but I do love The Whispers' 1979 disco cover of "My Girl"...
    Well TomatoTom, just about anything by The Whispers is worth a listen, and their take on "My Girl" is no exception, though for me their best "Cover" was their version of "Make It With You".

Best not shout it too loud around here, but the big hit version of "My Girl" in The UK back in the 1960s wasn't by The Temptations at all but by Otis Redding!!

Roger

Quote Originally Posted by roger View Post
    At the risk of being denounced as a heretic, banished from SDF and forced to live out my days on a remote desert island listening to nothing but the "best" of Mrs Miller I have to go on record that my favourite version of "Ain't No Mountain High Enough" is the version by Inner Life that came out on Salsoul circa 1981.

Those vocals by Jocelyn Brown, that production by Patrick Adams, those swirling strings and those kettle drums [[not to mention the freaky "moog" instrumental break) I find totally irresistible. Mind you it HAS to be the original LP version for me, rather than some of those attempts to "improve" it that have occurred over the years.

Roger
    Everyone has their favorites. My fav version of this is Diana Ross'. The version by Inner Life isn't bad. I really love Jocelyn's voice. It's an interesting cover. I had never heard it before.

"She's my girl, she's so fine
    She's my girl, she's fine as wine!"
    Tom I think I'd listen to this version over the Tempts. I've never been a fan of "My Girl" by anyone really, although I kind of like Marvin Gaye's version.

Roger
    Roger you have a right to your opinion just like everyone else! I like Jocelyn Brown's voice and the instrumental track is very nice.

Well TomatoTom, just about anything by The Whispers is worth a listen, and their take on "My Girl" is no exception, though for me their best "Cover" was their version of "Make It With You".

Best not shout it too loud around here, but the big hit version of "My Girl" in The UK back in the 1960s wasn't by The Temptations at all but by Otis Redding!!

Roger
    Yea, roger, you're right! The Temptations' didn't even crack the Top 40 I believe.

Of course thanks to its inclusion on the 1991 film of the same name, The Tempts' original version of "My Girl" would hit #2, where it rightly belonged!

Roger
    BTW, roger, I had never heard this version before. It is a fascinating take on what is a great song! It'll grow on me...
    Last edited by TomatoTom123; 05-25-2017 at 11:37 AM.

Tom I think I'd listen to this version over the Tempts. I've never been a fan of "My Girl" by anyone really, although I kind of like Marvin Gaye's version.
    Oh... Wow! You don't really like The Tempts' original version? Admittedly it is overplayed [[it gets a bit boring because of this) but it really is an amazing song. A little masterpiece...

Ah, now, RanRan, you would like the Marvin Gaye version, because [[I remember!) Marvin is your favourite male singer. And David Ruffin is mine so I have to go with The Tempts at the end of the day. The Whispers' rendition is excellent though... it sticks close the original arrangement but adds a bit of their own style into the song.

I'm not a bit British New Wave fan, but the 1982 cover version of Love Hangover by The Associates is quite an interesting interpretation.

Oh... Wow! You don't really like The Tempts' original version? Admittedly it is overplayed [[it gets a bit boring because of this) but it really is an amazing song. A little masterpiece...

Ah, now, RanRan, you would like the Marvin Gaye version, because [[I remember!) Marvin is your favourite male singer. And David Ruffin is mine so I have to go with The Tempts at the end of the day. The Whispers' rendition is excellent though... it sticks close the original arrangement but adds a bit of their own style into the song.
    I've never been crazy about it, but my dislike might have something to do with the fact that it's so overplayed. I tend to get annoyed hearing "My Girl", "Baby Love", "Stop In the Name of Love", "I Can't Help Myself" because they are played SOOOO much.

Yes, Marvin is my favorite, so I tend to be a bit biased to his version of any song.

I've never been crazy about it, but my dislike might have something to do with the fact that it's so overplayed. I tend to get annoyed hearing "My Girl", "Baby Love", "Stop In the Name of Love", "I Can't Help Myself" because they are played SOOOO much.

Yes, Marvin is my favorite, so I tend to be a bit biased to his version of any song.
    RanRan, I get you. Same with Jimmy Ruffin's "What Becomes Of The Brokenhearted?" and Marvin's "I Hesrd It Through The Grapevine" for me. I hate how they overplay these wonderful songs so you fall out of love with them, and can't appreciate them for their true value anymore!

BTW, I always thought Marvin's version of the song was a bit MOR-ish; I believe it was partly recorded in New York. But it's still excellent of course

BTW, I always thought Marvin's version of the song was a bit MOR-ish; I believe it was partly recorded in New York. But it's still excellent of course
    Agreed. And I believe you're right about it being recorded in NY.

Quote Originally Posted by jsmith View Post
    How about this . . . .
    America's great loss to the UK...I friggin' loved those girls!..

I lost a friend yesterday [[Mr.T) and it brought this to mind ..

Sorry for your loss Jsmith. What an interesting retelling of "Neither One of Us". I actually like it.

I prefer The Dave Clark Five's remake of "You've Got What It Takes" to Marv Johnson's original.

I'm not sure why but I rather like this version of The Originals' "God Bless Whoever Sent You" by Reggae singer Hopeton Lewis...!!

Last edited by TomatoTom123; 05-31-2017 at 06:13 PM.

I really liked Roger & Zapp's version of "
    I Heard it Through the Grapevine"

The Brand New Heavies did a great job with this Stevie Wonder classic:

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post

This IS a good cover!

Quote Originally Posted by lockhartgary View Post
    This IS a good cover!
    I thought so too. different, but they kept the emotion in it.

I thought so too. different, but they kept the emotion in it.
    Without over emoting, which makes a huge difference for me.

I really liked Roger & Zapp's version of "
    I Heard it Through the Grapevine"
    So do I Marv. That track is always hot.

Yes! I've always loved N'dea Davenport's voice. And the band aint half steppin either.

So do I Marv. That track is always hot.
    It does what Roger was made to do......make you dance! I was lucky to be able to hang out with him several months before he passed. Great guy.

Here's a nice cover of the Supremes "Bad Weather" . The tempo is different:

Roger
    Well, Jocelyn Brown ain't no slouch! She could sing anything. She died quite young, I think. What a great singer.

Jocelyn Brown is still with us.

Quote Originally Posted by kenneth View Post
    Well, Jocelyn Brown ain't no slouch! She could sing anything. She died quite young, I think. What a great singer.
    Jocelyn Brown did not die. Could you be thinking of Loletta Holloway?

Nona had come a long way from her Bluebelle days. Lol I was all prepared to hate this. I love Nona's voice but she often makes music that doesn't do anything for me. While this version of "Itchin" still isn't something I would play, it's much better than I thought it would be. It's a good cover.
    Then there are some songs that Nona has sung that just blows me away.

then ther

Name:  av-5.jpg
Views: 318
Size:  21.1 KB
    Out of the hundreds of remakes of Motown songs, the only non-Motown remakes I think are better than the Motown originals are "Angel Baby" by Darrell Banks, and "My Heart Is Calling You" by The Magnificents better than "My Heart Is Calling" by The Four Tops.

Darrell Banks' "Someone, Somewhere needs You" and Mary Love's "Open The Door To Your Heart" MIGHT be better than any Motown originals of those songs, IF such were ever recorded. But, so far, to my knowledge, none have been found.