[REMOVE ADS]

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Superior Motown Covers By Non Motown Artists

Of the Motown songs covered by non Motown artists that you've heard, are there any that are superior to your taste to the original Motown cut?

For example, "Stop In the Name of Love" is supposed to be one of the quintessential Supremes songs but it's never been a favorite of mine. Margie Joseph took that song in a whole other direction and killed it. I definitely prefer Margie's version to the Supremes.

Interesting question, RanRan!! I had a long think and actually couldn't come up with any proper covers that I preferred to the originals.....

..... except for, that is, Shalamar's "Uptown Festival", an extended disco medley of ten classic Motown songs, which doesn't really count, but is one of my all-time favourite songs and one of the greatest things ever recorded IMO!!!!

As much as I like the originals two spring to mind Luther Vandross's cover of ‘Reflections’ and his duet with Mariah Carey ‘Hello’

Quote Originally Posted by TomatoTom123 View Post
    Interesting question, RanRan!! I had a long think and actually couldn't come up with any proper covers that I preferred to the originals.....

..... except for, that is, Shalamar's "Uptown Festival", an extended disco medley of ten classic Motown songs, which doesn't really count, but is one of my all-time favourite songs and one of the greatest things ever recorded IMO!!!!
    "Uptown Festival" is great, but I wouldn't count it because it wasn't exactly a full cover of any one song. Think harder Tom.

Quote Originally Posted by McMotown View Post
    As much as I like the originals two spring to mind Luther Vandross's cover of ‘Reflections’ and his duet with Mariah Carey ‘Hello’
    Do you mean his duet on "Endless Love" with Mariah? I couldn't find "Hello" with her on it. His version of "Reflections" is very good, but i prefer the original. I'm surprised at how good his "Hello" is. I really, really like it, but I still prefer the original. I always hated the cover of "Endless Love". I prefer the original, but that aint saying much because I don't particular care for it either.

Joan Osborne -"What Becomes of the Broken Hearted"

I agree about Luther Vandross' cover of 'Reflections.' It's compares very well to the original.

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    Joan Osborne -"What Becomes of the Broken Hearted"
    Okay, she killed it. I can't go so far as to say superior to Jimmy's version, but I really love the way she kicks it up several notches toward the end.

Quote Originally Posted by RanRan79 View Post
    Okay, she killed it. I can't go so far as to say superior to Jimmy's version, but I really love the way she kicks it up several notches toward the end.
    I should have qualified my comment and anything else I might post in this particular thread.
    I am of the mindset that if I liked something in it's original form, then it is very rare that I am going to like a remake better. I am not saying Joan did a better job than Jimmy. I am saying she did a great cover of a Motown classic. Others have tried and failed miserably. For example, I much more prefer Marvin's "How Sweet It Is...." to James Taylor's cover. I think Jr. Walker & the Allstars did a great cover of the song, but Marvin's original is the best in my opinion.

Blood, Sweat and Tears version of "You've Made Me So Very Happy". I like Brenda Holloway's version too, but BSAT is my favorite of the 2.

There was the mid-seventies cover of eddie's[can i]i think it was val allen?

Quote Originally Posted by lockhartgary View Post
    Blood, Sweat and Tears version of "You've Made Me So Very Happy". I like Brenda Holloway's version too, but BSAT is my favorite of the 2.
    I was just getting ready to post that! LOL! I agree.

Quote Originally Posted by arr&bee View Post
    There was the mid-seventies cover of eddie's[can i]i think it was val allen?
    I don't remember that one JAI.

I remember David Peaston's cover of "Can I?"; that was outstanding.

I should have qualified my comment and anything else I might post in this particular thread.
    I am of the mindset that if I liked something in it's original form, then it is very rare that I am going to like a remake better. I am not saying Joan did a better job than Jimmy. I am saying she did a great cover of a Motown classic. Others have tried and failed miserably. For example, I much more prefer Marvin's "How Sweet It Is...." to James Taylor's cover. I think Jr. Walker & the Allstars did a great cover of the song, but Marvin's original is the best in my opinion.
    I like James Taylor, but if there was ever a recording that could be considered souless, his version of "How Sweet It Is" is that one.

I prefer Brenda's vocal but I might have to give the BST arrangement the edge.

Quote Originally Posted by sansradio View Post
    I remember David Peaston's cover of "Can I?"; that was outstanding.
    That dude was a beast. His "Introducing" album got a lot of play with the adults when I was a kid.

Not a proper cover, since the original wasn't released first, but I prefer Aretha's "Until You Come Back to Me" to Stevie's, even though I think his is great. And I guess I can add Miki Howard's version, which I also prefer to Stevie's.

The Doobie Brothers did a good job with Kim Weston's "Take Me in Your Arms.....".

I like James Taylor, but if there was ever a recording that could be considered souless, his version of "How Sweet It Is" is that one.
    It reminded me of when Pat Boone covered Little Richard's "Tutti Frutti" LOL!

Not a proper cover, since the original wasn't released first, but I prefer Aretha's "Until You Come Back to Me" to Stevie's, even though I think his is great. And I guess I can add Miki Howard's version, which I also prefer to Stevie's.
    Aretha's version is the perfect example of a Motown cover being better than the original. Aretha has a knack of taking a song, improving it and making it her own......"Respect"?

To me the genius of Motown is apparent in this thread, as it's so hard for me to think of covers that were better. Marv you are now banned from Motown!!lol. Heresy per Brenda! I love her performance. Much more powerful to me as she sings it with more feeling to me as opposed to David's blubderbust!! Nothing by Phil Collins!!

Do you mean his duet on "Endless Love" with Mariah? I couldn't find "Hello" with her on it. His version of "Reflections" is very good, but i prefer the original. I'm surprised at how good his "Hello" is. I really, really like it, but I still prefer the original. I always hated the cover of "Endless Love". I prefer the original, but that aint saying much because I don't particular care for it either.
    Tom - brain freeze sorry of course 'Endless Love' but now you've pointed out the errors of my ways there is Luther's version of 'Hello' which is up there too.

Quote Originally Posted by luke View Post
    To me the genius of Motown is apparent in this thread, as it's so hard for me to think of covers that were better. Marv you are now banned from Motown!!lol. Heresy per Brenda! I love her performance. Much more powerful to me as she sings it with more feeling to me as opposed to David's blubderbust!! Nothing by Phil Collins!!
    Well ok then fine! I'm taking my toys and going home! LOL! Read my disclaimer above. I am not saying these cover versions are better than the Motown originals. In my case, I am saying that these were decent to good covers of the classics. Phil Collins did a good job with "You Can't Hurry Love". He did not change it at all and the rhythm track smoked.

"Uptown Festival" is great, but I wouldn't count it because it wasn't exactly a full cover of any one song. Think harder Tom.
    LOL

Ok, RanRan, I'll have another think and get back to you......

Aretha's version is the perfect example of a Motown cover being better than the original. Aretha has a knack of taking a song, improving it and making it her own......"Respect"?
    That's why she's the Queen of Soul. She and Ray Charles are the two artists IMO who could consistently take another artist's previously recorded song and make you forget about the original.

Hey luke, I think I agree with you on the genius of Motown. It really is hard to beat the original Motown classics.

Tom - brain freeze sorry of course 'Endless Love' but now you've pointed out the errors of my ways there is Luther's version of 'Hello' which is up there too.
    Hey, McMotown, this ain't my thread for once! Lol

It's RanRan you are talking to, my friend

Well ok then fine! I'm taking my toys and going home! LOL! Read my disclaimer above. I am not saying these cover versions are better than the Motown originals. In my case, I am saying that these were decent to good covers of the classics. Phil Collins did a good job with "You Can't Hurry Love". He did not change it at all and the rhythm track smoked.
    Yeah I prefer the Supremes YCHL, but Phil did the song justice.

To me the genius of Motown is apparent in this thread, as it's so hard for me to think of covers that were better.
    So very true.

Yeah I prefer the Supremes YCHL, but Phil did the song justice.
    He was even thoughtful enough to have two "Supreme men" singing the background in his video for the song. LOL!!!

That's why she's the Queen of Soul. She and Ray Charles are the two artists IMO who could consistently take another artist's previously recorded song and make you forget about the original.
    I think Junior Walker was also particularly excellent at doing that! Of course his covers of Motown songs were also Motown songs, so they don't count either...

I think Junior Walker was also particularly excellent at doing that! Of course his covers of Motown songs were also Motown songs, so they don't count either...
    Yeah, but that sax had a lot to do with that. No disrespect to Mr. Walker's vocal skills but there isn't a song he recorded that I play because of his voice. But he doesn't count either Tom because, as you point out, his Motown covers were Motown songs also. Back to the drawing board Tom. Geez, would you follow the rules?

LOLololol

This is way harder than I thought...

I was about to suggest songs that sample Motown tracks [[like Amy Winehouse's "Tears Dry On Their Own" and Robin Thicke's "Blurred Lines") and just say 'well, I couldn't think of any proper covers and these songs are good' but that's even more irrelevant...

... but then again, RanRan, I ain't posting by no rules...

Like most of the other posters here, I find it hard to think of versions which surpass the Motown originals.

However, can I give an honourable mention to Laura Nyro, who with the mighty assistance of Labelle on her 'Gonna Take A Miracle' album delivers spirited versions of the Motown classics 'The Bells, Dancing In The Street, You've Really Got A Hold On Me, Jimmy Mack and Nowhere To Run'.

I still get great enjoyment from this album to this day.

And as for me, more often than not the 1st version of a song that I hear that I like tends to grow on me more than another version, even if the other version is recorded and released first. Like the song I mentioned above, "You've Made Me So Very Happy", I like both versions, but I heard BSTs' version LONG before I heard Brenda Hollaway's original version.

And as for me, more often than not the 1st version of a song that I hear that I like tends to grow on me more than another version, even if the other version is recorded and released first. Like the song I mentioned above, "You've Made Me So Very Happy", I like both versions, but I heard BSTs' version LONG before I heard Brenda Hollaway's original version.
    I totally understand. That kind of happened to me with "Don't Leave Me this Way". I am pretty sure I heard Harold Melvin & the Blue Notes first, but I had forgotten about it by the time I heard Thelma's version. I was like" this song sounds familiar, where have I heard it? I like Thelma's version more although it is not the original version of the song.

This is a great thread! Here's another "honorable mention":

I love Jr walkers voice on what does it take...

... but then again, RanRan, I ain't posting by no rules...
    That will get you in trouble around here.

Quote Originally Posted by Ozmo View Post
    Like most of the other posters here, I find it hard to think of versions which surpass the Motown originals.

However, can I give an honourable mention to Laura Nyro, who with the mighty assistance of Labelle on her 'Gonna Take A Miracle' album delivers spirited versions of the Motown classics 'The Bells, Dancing In The Street, You've Really Got A Hold On Me, Jimmy Mack and Nowhere To Run'.

I still get great enjoyment from this album to this day.
    That's a fantastic album. This is how a covers album should be done.

This is really good. I've always loved her voice.

Cool. His voice doesn't do anything for me. I actually love the backing vocals though. He could play the hell out of sax though.

He does a great job on that one and on the Guess Who's "These Eyes" which is in my Top 20 favorite non-Motown songs.

She can sing the label on a can of sardines and make you melt. I tell everyone that the last voices I want playing at my journey's end here on Earth are hers, Patti Austin's and Minnie Riperton's.

Cool. His voice doesn't do anything for me. I actually love the backing vocals though. He could play the hell out of sax though.
    Jr. Walker was not a singer. He could carry a tune, but it was rough, gut bucket stull like the kind you would hear back in the sixties at Midwest Union Halls or BYOB Caberets LOL! Still, he was effective because you couldn't tell him to his face he couldn't sing, hehehehehehe!

Yes, Dianne is a true vocalist and stylist. Listen to how she weaves in and out of the lyrics giving them her own feel. I loved her "Better Days" recording.

A few years ago I was lucky enough to see Dianne Reeves in concert at the Sydney Opera House. She performed 'Just My Imagination' with a full symphony orchestra. A memorable evening!

Quote Originally Posted by Ozmo View Post
    A few years ago I was lucky enough to see Dianne Reeves in concert at the Sydney Opera House. She performed 'Just My Imagination' with a full symphony orchestra. A memorable evening!
    Lucky duck, indeed! I haven't had the pleasure as of yet; definitely bucket list!

Name:  av-5.jpg
Views: 1117
Size:  21.1 KB
    There have been hundreds of non-Motown remakes of Motown songs. The only two I can think of are: "Angel Baby" by Darrell Banks, better than Stevie Wonder's, and "California Soul" by Marlena Shaw, better than The Messengers' original. But, a better Motown singer singing to The Messengers' super Funk Brothers instrumental would have been better than any non-Motown version. Also, "My Heart Is Calling You" by The Magnificents might be slightly better than The Four Tops' version.
    Last edited by robb_k; 05-16-2017 at 02:54 AM.