[REMOVE ADS]

Winter NAMM aka Fun in the Sun!

Alright campers, it's time for another chidrummer travelogue. Last time we were daytripping in the Big D. This time we're trading Sweat Home Chicago for the Left Coast. In other words were exchanging this winter scene for something a little more scenic.
    Attached Images Attached Images    

So 4 hours and a 757 later, I found myself in Sunny Anaheim California. Home of the famous winter convention of the National Association of Musical Merchants aka NAMM

I was there at the request of inventor/CEO of Essential Sound Products Inc, Michael Griffin. Our booth was right down main street in the Convention Center. We had a perfect view of the opening ceremonies and the parade.

Of course, this being NAMM there were tons of cool gear; guitars, basses, keyboards, recording equipment, etc. etc.

Oh, did I mention there were drums too?

My buddy, Victor Salazar brought his custom GMS set all the way from Chitown by car. Two and a half days down and back. I couldn't have done it.

Speaking of friends, quite a few homies turned up. Bill [[not-so-budda) Dickens, Greg Potter along with Matt Sorum, Cathy Rich, Christian Welter and a handful of others gave Chicago great representation.

Of course, there were celeb sightings all over the place. Marcus Miller, Jonathan Moffett, Jim Keltner, Danny Gottlieb, James Gadson, Glen Campbell, Bootsy, Larry Graham, Lee Sklar, Giovanni Hidalgo, Kenny G, Brian Bromberg, Richie Garcia and Verdine White just to name a bunch.

The highlight of the four days arrived on Saturday. Legendary guitarist, Phil Upchuch stopped by to check out our product. Loved it, and recommended it to a friend of his...Stevie Wonder.

Well we were all blown away by that. We don't remember what happened on Sunday except all good things must come to an end. So The Musician's Disneyland was dismantled and put away for another year. A week of very successful business was done under sunny 80 degree skies and warm starry nights. There were some incredible jams. Some planned, some just broke out. I may add some more photos to this thread a little later. There are a few surprises that belong to other folks I'm working with and they need to have the first look. Hope this was fun to see. Who knows where we'll end up next?

Great, great pictures ChiDrummer. Next time, come and get me! LOL!!

Holy Crap Chi, I'm not even a drummer and found myself drooling. Did they have to give you oxygen to catch your breath? LOL

Snow cap mountains in the desert....awww dayum, now you're making me miss "home." sigh

Glad you had fun at such a prestigious event. Go head wit cha bad self.

Represent Bro....Represent!

My 12-year old is claiming the "red" set....with the clock....

Any pics of Hildalgo? That's one Conga playing fool.

How's the writing these days? Any chance these will be in Modern Drummer?

You lucky man. [[and I'm being nice) LOL ! Nice photos,and I'm glad you had a nice time at the NAMM.

Marv2 save ya pennies. We'll do it all again, same time next year.

What's up D? You know, I was too busy trying to steal some GH licks to take his picture [[dummy). There was also a jam I jumped into with Charlie Chavez, Jamal Mohamed and Nina Rodriguez. Michael Wimberly gave me a quicky djembe and djun lesson. So my head exploded. Modern Drummer is publishing a review of mine in either the April or May issue and some of my NAMM photos may turn up there as well.

Ms. M, I really tried not to make a fool of myself. I remained calm, kept an even kiel and tried not to laugh hysterically until I got back to my brother's house at night.

Gee, dude you've got to go to this next year just for the networking alone [[yikes!).