[REMOVE ADS]

Diana Ross: Newly released [[?) Lost and Found

I had seen a discussion on the MF regarding the newly released [[?) Diana Ross Lost and Found that a dealer from Denmark was offering for sale, but all his copies are sold.

What is the background on this CD? Was this issued here in the USA or how did it come about? I am confused over the total lack of publicity and information here in the states.

Any responses would be helpful to clarify this. Thank you.

I am not speaking about DR&Supremes L&F. Only DR.

Hi Bill, I'm not entirely sure on this but I believe the 'Diana Ross Lost & Found' CD was in fact a bootleg, created by the seller. It's not an 'official release' so that may explain the lack of info and promotion.

Quote Originally Posted by woodward View Post
    I had seen a discussion on the MF regarding the newly released [[?) Diana Ross Lost and Found that a dealer from Denmark was offering for sale, but all his copies are sold
    What is the background on this CD? Was this issued here in the USA or how did it come about? I am confused over the total lack of publicity and information here in the states.

Any responses would be helpful to clarify this. Thank you.

I am not speaking about DR&Supremes L&F. Only DR.
    It is a bootleg. Admittedly a very good bootleg but a bootleg nonetheless.

Thanks to both of you for confirming what I suspected from day one. What amazes me to no end is the similarities in the pictures I saw of the set that look very authentic, i. e. Tamla Motown, etc. These bootleggers should put their bogus talents into actual work for Motown.

Unfortunately, if the bootleggers put their talents into work for Motown this wonderful material would be buried for another 40 years, if not forever.

Not directly related to this thread but you may be interested to know that both "live at caesars palace" and "an evening with Diana Ross" are both being considered for expanded release , but not through Universal.. There is unused material to add to the original releases.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebrock View Post
    Not directly related to this thread but you may be interested to know that both "live at caesars palace" and "an evening with Diana Ross" are both being considered for expanded release , but not through Universal.. There is unused material to add to the original releases.
    This would be fantastic. I love both of these and have always wished we would get to hear the full concerts.

What is the track listing on this bootleg please?

Quote Originally Posted by copley View Post
    What is the track listing on this bootleg please?
    01. These Things Will Keep Me Loving You [[Alternate Version) 3:06
    02 Don't Explain [[Rubato Version) 3:28
    03 The Man I Love [[Alternate Version) 3:32
    04 Crazy He Calls Me 2:26
    05 What A Diff'rence A Day Makes [[Alternate Version) 3:22
    06 Young Mothers [[Alternate Version) 3:52
    07 You're A Special Part Of Me [[Alternate Version)
    Featuring – Marvin Gaye 4:37
    08 Just Say, Just Say [[Alternate Vocal Version) Featuring Marvin Gaye 3:25
    09 For Once In My Life 4:50
    10 You Build Me Up To Tear Me Down [[Alternate "Early" Mix) 4:36
    11 We Can Never Light That Old Flame Again [[Extended Single Mix) 5:11
    12 Tenderness [[Extended LP Version) 5:58
    13 If We Hold On Together [[Alternate Version with Spoken Intro) 4:43
    14 Bottom Line [[Extended LP Version) 5:54
    15 You've Made Me So Very Happy 4:09
    16 Soul Kiss 3:40
    17 I'm So Happy [[To See You Again) 4:47
    18 Too Many Nights 4:37
    19 Summertime/It Ain't Neccessarily So [[Diana Ross & The Supremes) [[Bonus Track) 2:35

Sounds interesting, as long as we are talking about CD releases. Thanks for the info.

Quote Originally Posted by longtimefan View Post
    01. These Things Will Keep Me Loving You [[Alternate Version) 3:06
    02 Don't Explain [[Rubato Version) 3:28
    03 The Man I Love [[Alternate Version) 3:32
    04 Crazy He Calls Me 2:26
    05 What A Diff'rence A Day Makes [[Alternate Version) 3:22
    06 Young Mothers [[Alternate Version) 3:52
    07 You're A Special Part Of Me [[Alternate Version)
    Featuring – Marvin Gaye 4:37
    08 Just Say, Just Say [[Alternate Vocal Version) Featuring Marvin Gaye 3:25
    09 For Once In My Life 4:50
    10 You Build Me Up To Tear Me Down [[Alternate "Early" Mix) 4:36
    11 We Can Never Light That Old Flame Again [[Extended Single Mix) 5:11
    12 Tenderness [[Extended LP Version) 5:58
    13 If We Hold On Together [[Alternate Version with Spoken Intro) 4:43
    14 Bottom Line [[Extended LP Version) 5:54
    15 You've Made Me So Very Happy 4:09
    16 Soul Kiss 3:40
    17 I'm So Happy [[To See You Again) 4:47
    18 Too Many Nights 4:37
    19 Summertime/It Ain't Neccessarily So [[Diana Ross & The Supremes) [[Bonus Track) 2:35
    Thanks. Just about all of these are previously available and have been doing the rounds for years! Bootlegs are all very well but none of the artists involved earn a penny! Just ask Andy & Harry

Thanks. Just about all of these are previously available and have been doing the rounds for years! Bootlegs are all very well but none of the artists involved earn a penny! Just ask Andy & Harry
    I know that's true but it's hard to care about that with artists who have been very well compensated over the years. I mean, I'd care more if it were the Vandellas or the Marvelettes being cheated out of royalties, than if it were Diana Ross or Prince.

I guess I fall into the "there's no stopping the music" camp. I remember back in the 80s, U2 did nothing to halt the stream of [[mostly live) bootlegs which were on the market and then would even extol their audiences at concerts to "start your taping now," according to some fans.

My local record store [[happy to say there's still a few in LA) is fully stocked with lots of bootlegs on Prince, and many classic rock groups such as Jimi Hendrix, Humble Pie, and others.

Back to the Motown bootlegs, I just purchased the Supremes C&W, Blues and Ballads, GIT on Broadway, Diana & Marvin, and Diana Live. I continue to be super impressed by the sound quality and packaging the seller lovingly puts into these releases. The Blues & Ballads doesn't contain much new to serious collectors but it's fun to have them all in one piece as it might have meant to be issued. The C&W sound seriously outpaces that of the long ago issued Motown CD [[which was Mono) and also includes the beautiful Stereo version as well, plus a couple bonus tracks.

I would be very excited to get an expanded Live At Caesar's Palace recording. I believe she did Happy [[Love Theme From Lady Sings The Blues) while there and also a few other songs that have never shown up anywhere else. I'm not sure what else could be added to An Evening. Did they cut any songs from that show for the recording?

This is very true. But, what is also true is that I would buy them again if they got a proper label release. [[And it appears that I already own most of these tracks!).

Quote Originally Posted by thommg View Post
    I would be very excited to get an expanded Live At Caesar's Palace recording. I believe she did Happy [[Love Theme From Lady Sings The Blues) while there and also a few other songs that have never shown up anywhere else. I'm not sure what else could be added to An Evening. Did they cut any songs from that show for the recording?
    I was wondering the same re AN EVENING WITH DIANA ROSS. I saw that show and the only song I recall not making the album was ONE LOVE IN MY LIFETIME. At the show I saw, she also performed GOD BLESS THE CHILD instead of I CRIED FOR YOU. In addition, The Jones Girls performed IF I EVER LOSE THIS HEAVEN before Diana did a reprise of AIN'T NO MOUNTAIN HIGH ENOUGH.

But maybe for an expanded edition, they can restore it to its natural order. They could have LOVE HANGOVER as it was originally done in the show. In the show, for the second verse, Diana started to drink a glass of water as her pre-recorded vocal continued to play. Then she ran off to change costumes before returning to finish the song. On the album, they fade into the studio version of the song and then fade back into Diana's live vocal. The track itself fades instead of coming to a natural ending. Unless you saw the show, most of this doesn't really come across on the album, although they did keep Diana's patter about "Did you think that was me? This is all pre-recorded."

Also, they took the show's closing number, REACH OUT AND TOUCH, and moved it to the end of side 3, because it wouldn't fit on side 4. Even so, it still seems to be edited heavily, ringing in at 2:49.

As a result, side 4 just sort of ends after a really nice rendition of AIN'T NO MOUNTAIN HIGH ENOUGH. But no goodbyes or exit music.

@reese, is that the incident that's written about in "Call Her Miss Ross?" How much of the performance was lip-synced? Oh, say it ain't so!

Quote Originally Posted by kenneth View Post
    I know that's true but it's hard to care about that with artists who have been very well compensated over the years. I mean, I'd care more if it were the Vandellas or the Marvelettes being cheated out of royalties, than if it were Diana Ross or Prince.

I guess I fall into the "there's no stopping the music" camp. I remember back in the 80s, U2 did nothing to halt the stream of [[mostly live) bootlegs which were on the market and then would even extol their audiences at concerts to "start your taping now," according to some fans.

My local record store [[happy to say there's still a few in LA) is fully stocked with lots of bootlegs on Prince, and many classic rock groups such as Jimi Hendrix, Humble Pie, and others.

Back to the Motown bootlegs, I just purchased the Supremes C&W, Blues and Ballads, GIT on Broadway, Diana & Marvin, and Diana Live. I continue to be super impressed by the sound quality and packaging the seller lovingly puts into these releases. The Blues & Ballads doesn't contain much new to serious collectors but it's fun to have them all in one piece as it might have meant to be issued. The C&W sound seriously outpaces that of the long ago issued Motown CD [[which was Mono) and also includes the beautiful Stereo version as well, plus a couple bonus tracks.
    I wasn't just referring to the likes of Ross & Gaye but to the back room artists like the Funks, Andantes etc who have been cheated all along the line The only person making money is the bootlegger! I know how I would feel if it was my work that had been stolen

@reese, is that the incident that's written about in "Call Her Miss Ross?" How much of the performance was lip-synced? Oh, say it ain't so!
    I don't recall it being mentioned in any of the books, probably because it was just a cute part of the act.

Diana started singing the song live. Then one of her mimes brought her a glass a water and she drank it as her vocal continued uninterrupted. The mimes then brought a life-sized cut-out of her on stage as she went to change clothes. When she was ready, the mimes carried the cut-out offstage and came back carrying Diana, now wearing a different gown. Diana then brought up some people to dance with her while she sang the rest of the song, live.

I wasn't just referring to the likes of Ross & Gaye but to the back room artists like the Funks, Andantes etc who have been cheated all along the line The only person making money is the bootlegger! I know how I would feel if it was my work that had been stolen
    I can understand and appreciate that. In the case of the Ross CDs though, I doubt he's making much money as he puts so much time and attention into the transfers and the packaging. I guess I just don't see the harm if no one else is putting out the material anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by reese View Post
    I don't recall it being mentioned in any of the books, probably because it was just a cute part of the act.

Diana started singing the song live. Then one of her mimes brought her a glass a water and she drank it as her vocal continued uninterrupted. The mimes then brought a life-sized cut-out of her on stage as she went to change clothes. When she was ready, the mimes carried the cut-out offstage and came back carrying Diana, now wearing a different gown. Diana then brought up some people to dance with her while she sang the rest of the song, live.
    Oh...that's different. in the "Miss Ross" book, the author paints it as an example of great artifice on her part, a way of deceiving her audience. I guess that book had more than a few axes to grind.

Quote Originally Posted by djessie View Post
    Sounds interesting, as long as we are talking about CD releases. Thanks for the info.
    We are indeed talking about physical releases djessie.

Quote Originally Posted by thommg View Post
    I think she tinkered slightly with the set list on occasional days. Several shows were recorded and i do believe she did "one love in my lifetime" at a couple of shows. Not sure what else may be in the can.

I read that LIVE AT CEASARS PALACE was originally a 2 lp set trimmed to one lp

I think she tinkered slightly with the set list on occasional days. Several shows were recorded and i do believe she did "one love in my lifetime" at a couple of shows. Not sure what else may be in the can.
    Voila!

I saw 'An Evening ...' at the Palace Theatre in NYC from a second row seat and only that part of 'LH" was synched; the aural sound of Diana's spectacular voice was markedly different on that song.

Oh...that's different. in the "Miss Ross" book, the author paints it as an example of great artifice on her part, a way of deceiving her audience. I guess that book had more than a few axes to grind.
    Of course it did! And more than a few ... errors ... such at this one.

I can understand and appreciate that. In the case of the Ross CDs though, I doubt he's making much money as he puts so much time and attention into the transfers and the packaging. I guess I just don't see the harm if no one else is putting out the material anyway.
    I have to agree, Kenneth. If the studios are not smart enough to release this half-century-plus old material, so be it. Even on official re-releases I doubt if everyone involved gets any measurable royalties anyway, though that's not a 'reason' to condone bootlegs in itself. And many fans who access and post/repost from YouTube on a daily basis either don't understand or don't want to understand that most YT content is also bootlegged and nobody calls YT out ...

Quote Originally Posted by sansradio View Post
    Voila!

Not sure. But this sounds like it was taken from her AN EVENING WITH DIANA ROSS tv special that aired on NBC in 1977.

Quote Originally Posted by PeaceNHarmony View Post
    I have to agree, Kenneth. If the studios are not smart enough to release this half-century-plus old material, so be it. Even on official re-releases I doubt if everyone involved gets any measurable royalties anyway, though that's not a 'reason' to condone bootlegs in itself. And many fans who access and post/repost from YouTube on a daily basis either don't understand or don't want to understand that most YT content is also bootlegged and nobody calls YT out ...
    I just refuse to feel guilty about it!

Quote Originally Posted by daviddh View Post
    I read that LIVE AT CEASARS PALACE was originally a 2 lp set trimmed to one lp
    I have heard the same thing David. I shall try to find out more. Please note these proposed releases are just being considered at the moment. I am still awaiting the green light.

Not sure. But this sounds like it was taken from her AN EVENING WITH DIANA ROSS tv special that aired on NBC in 1977.
    You are correct, Reese. This is not audio cut from the LP release; it is, indeed, from the television special. This was posted on another site along with a "studio" version of Corner Of The Sky. I was excited to hear the studio recording, only to discover it was the live performance from Live At Caesar's Palace with Diana's intro and the applause removed.

We are indeed talking about physical releases djessie.
    Cool, thanks! I already have several issues of these albums on CD but I will gladly buy these as well.

As for those talks about the bootlegs: some of the material is half a century old. Most of it has been released in some form or leaked. If the owners of the recordings do not want to do anything more with them or release them on physical formats then I am glad someone is collecting these recordings and making them available to fans. If these ever get official releases I will of course buy them as well. I don't see the harm, especially since these bootlegs are very limited and I suspect only die-hard fans/collectors are buying them.

@djessie, my feelings as well.

I was just looking at the Ace/Kent monthly newsletter. Of course I love Ace and am so happy they have released all they have. But they do release some pretty obscure stuff. Peggy March recordings in German? Shel Talmy? Reggie Young? Talented persons all, I am sure, but as much as I've been a music fan all my life, have never heard of them except for March's "I Will Follow Him," an early Lesley Gore-type anthem.

My point is, since obviously Ace and Motown/Universal know there's a market for all of these recordings, then I guess we have to figure they may feel the Motown market has already been tapped to its fullest with many "unreleased" or expanded packages already. Hopefully, sales of "A Go Go" and the other items which come out will convince them this market is far from saturated. I think us Motown fans are a special breed who enjoy hearing the also-rans and unreleased stuff as much [[maybe more) than the hits which we've already heard for so long!