[REMOVE ADS]

The Supremes on Bing Crosby Special Promo LP?!

Hi,

I have found the interesting Promo LP called "The Bing Crosby Special" from 1968 with Diana Ross and The Supremes on the net [[the price is much to high 200$).

Does anyone knows the track list and if the versions on the LP are the ones overdubbed with applause from the TV-Special or the original studio versions without applause??

Name:  41yip5Y-pwL-1.jpg
Views: 693
Size:  26.0 KB

This special aired on GETtv about a year and half ago. If i remember correctly, the do a song with Bing entitled Making Movies. Solo they do a Paint Your Wagon Medley. Later with Bing and Jose Feliciano they do a Hits Medley. Can't remember, but I believe they did Reflections and In And Out Of Love and other hits of the day Like This Guy's In Love With You, Do You Know The Way To San Jose, etc. Could be wrong on their hits in the medley. The special was filmed on Paramount's back lot, if memory serves. Bing was always big on pre-recording musical numbers and then miming. So this is probably the soundtrack of what was recorded. Suspect that it will be in monaural since TV was mono.
    Last edited by greg jones; 05-11-2017 at 03:28 AM.

Hi,
    I know that they performed
    - and Intro-Song [[Making Movies)
    - Don't Forsake Me, oh My Darling
    - Paint Your Wagon [[with Bing Crosby)
    and a wonderful
    - Medley of Hits [[with Bing Crosby and Jose Feliciano)

But as mentioned before, the songs are all overdubbed with applause on the special.
    There are several clips on YouTube of this special.

This just aired again on GetTV this past Monday night. I'm surprised this promo release LP has never been discussed amongst the Supremes fans, but maybe it being a promo has a lot to do with that? It'd bed great to include in a collection, but I'll admit it's nothing very exciting. The "Paint Your Wagon" medley is kind of dull and includes heavy sweetening from male and female background singers. Probably the best parts were DMC's solo performance of "Don't Forsake Me" [[also from "Paint Your Wagon") and the massive soundstage hits medley with Bing and Jose Feliciano. You get to hear Mary and Cindy more clearly than probably at any time else in the special.

Hope you win the auction! You'll definitely own something rare in the Supremes career!

Dan, first off, I had never heard of this recording and never knew it existed, though I saw the show on TV, of course! [[I watched everything Supremes on television.) It would be great to get these tracks on a deluxe edition in the future. If they were pre-recorded then they must be in a vault somewhere. I bet they are owned by NBC, though, as they were the producing company.

The show aired twice in the past 2 weeks. I love the last 10 minutes of the show.

I checked on the copyright for this show. I thought it was going to be Bing's Company Konigsberg [[sp?), but it turns out that it is NBC Productions. I have feeling those masters were not kept because during those years they considered the audio sort of inferior because it was Monaural and they couldn't TV audio Stereo until the '90's. So they probably don't exist. I doubt whether was stereo being shipped out to mono radio stations to promote the special.

Now on the other hand, since it is material that they didn't normally perform in their stage act... I would love to get the track list of this promotional album.