[REMOVE ADS]

Where are the shirelles??

This may have been discussed but i'm wondering are the remaining members of the shirelles still singing at all and what are the chances if them being reunited,everyone if hollering about the supremes let's not forget the first superstar girl group with longevity[dedicated to the one i love-1959-what is love-1967]just curious thanks!

Check the " Jersey Girls" thread.

Shirley Alston-Reeves continues to work! She's been on her own since the late '70s. Still sounds and looks great.
    Beverley Lee still has a group, the Shirelles. They both were awarded a few years ago in their hometown, Pasaaic,
    NJ, when a portion of a street was renamed Shirelles Blvd.

Randy

Is that together or not together and what was was all that separation about?

Even the Bee Gees got over their differences in later years.

Not together. They do not seem to want to perform together. I read a recent interview with Shirley where she said she wanted to rejoin the Shirelles in the 70s -I believe after she had a child- and she was not allowed back in by the rest.

Quote Originally Posted by luke View Post
    Not together. They do not seem to want to perform together. I read a recent interview with Shirley where she said she wanted to rejoin the Shirelles in the 70s -I believe after she had a child- and she was not allowed back in by the rest.

It's 2011, two original Shirelles are deceased.
    What and who is stopping Shirley from touring as the Shirelles?

smark21 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Motown_M_1056 View Post
    Economics? There may not be much of a market for a group who had a brief hey day a half century ago.

Also the Shirelles weren't the first superstar girl group. The Andrews Sisters got there first in the 40's.

Quote Originally Posted by Motown_M_1056 View Post
    I believe Beverly owns the Shirelles name, and Shirley can't use it. I've been with Shirley backstage when she has mentioned that she makes a point of telling venue owners not to bill her as "The Shirelles".

This is true what reese has posted above. And it IS economics because they make more money individually by not
    working together. If they worked together they'd have to split 50/50.

It is also true that when Shirley went on leave to have her second child, Amber, she called Doris to replace her.
    Doris had left around '69. When she was ready to return the feeling was she wasn't wanted anymore and they
    wanted to keep Doris.
    Then Randy Irwin, the group's manager, left and called Shirley to sing again. Eventually Ronnie Evans, the Shirelles'
    comic mc for years, left the group to join Shirley too.

Quote Originally Posted by smark21 View Post
    economics? There may not be much of a market for a group who had a brief hey day a half century ago.

Also the shirelles weren't the first superstar girl group. The andrews sisters got there first in the 40's.
    ok let me be more specific...the first black girl group of longevity.

Yep--if they toured together theyd probably make more money-Ladies and gentlemen the Original Shirelles! If not then all groups would break up and tour separately! Id much rather see the originals.

I really don't consider the Andrew Sisters to be part of the "Rock Era". In my mind, and factually I may not be correct, but the Shirelles are the mother of all girl groups, the first female super group of the Rock era.

Weren't the Chantels and the Bobbettes, the first girl groups of the Rock 'N' Roll era to have major hit records?
    Last edited by Motown_M_1056; 01-20-2011 at 10:54 PM.

What about the Clickettes and Shirley Gunter and the Queens?

Here's some trivia: La La Brooks was also called on to replace Micki Harris when she was sick and Shirley and Bev needed
    a third girl.

Quote Originally Posted by randy_russi View Post
    Here's some trivia: La La Brooks was also called on to replace Micki Harris when she was sick and Shirley and Bev needed
    a third girl.
    I found out there has always been internal stuggles and infighting among girl groups- going all the way back to The Andrews Sisters, who were blood related, yet they still allowed men, petty jealousies, issues over money and featured status within the group come between them. The Supremes aren't the only ones with a legacy of dischordant and strife. they just inherited the curse.
    Last edited by Motown_M_1056; 01-21-2011 at 08:23 PM.