[REMOVE ADS]

What was your favourite live concert/gig/show.

As it’s almost Stevie Wonder’s birthday I remember his 40th birthday and I liked to think I was invited to his private birthday party ha ha ha ha. In fact I paid for the privilege to be at his concert at Wembley Arena and wow what a show he put on. He was on for almost 4 hours non stop with hit after hit and the BBC was there recording every minute. I also remember later that year BBC showed 2 hours of it on TV. I’ve since seen 2 hour clips on YouTube but none of it does it justice ,oh how I wish they would release the whole thing on Blue Ray/DVD.
    Another concert was, seeing the Temps at Hammersmith Odeon mid 80s with Dennis Edwards being back in the Temps. Anyway they went into Ol’ Man River and well Melvin just blew me away with his bass voice which the vibration of it shook the chair I was sitting in and had goose bumps all over. It was absolutely amazing I have never witnessed anything like it since.

What was your favourite live concert/gig/show.
    Sorry if it’s been a thread before

I'm lucky enough to be a child of the sixties[greatest decade of music ever]and got to witness the greatest five man soul group ever on stage[the classic temps-eddie-paul-otis-melvin-david]it don't get no better!!!

This a hard one,but McMotown you made me remember. My favorite concert was New Year's Even 1994-95, The Fox Theater in Detroit and Stevie Wonder did a 3 hour concert with Carolyn Crawford performing in the main lobby on this huge, elevated stage during the intermission! There are several more concerts that I would easily rank as my favorites. Smokey at the Fox in 1990 was very memorable to me be because of his jokes. LOL!

2 concerts....
    1971...Ohio Theater, Columbus, Ohio....The Supremes....Jean, Mary and Cindy with Faith, Hope and Charity opening the show. And yes,
    it was as fabulous as it sounded.

1976....Bachelor's III, Fort Lauderdale....The Supremes being
    Mary, Scherrie and Susaye with full orchestra. Mary did a stunning
    tribute to Florence as she had just passed. I remember she stopped
    the show with "How Lucky Can You Get".

Ike & Tina at Carnegie Hall in April 1971, Labelle Reunion, Apollo, Dec 2008, Diana Ross NJPAC summer 2014, Tina solo Ritz NYC 1984, Ashford & Simpson Bottom Line NYC '75 ish, Diana Ross Waldorf Sept 1970 ...

Mary Wilson with opening act Eddie Kendricks , The Premier Center, Sterling Heights, Michigan December 31,1984. What a show! It's even been written about in books. This night every song Mary an her ladies performed was right on the mark! They did an encore of Donna Summer's "She Works hard for the Money" that had people dancing. But one of the other highlights of this concert was during Eddie's set. All of a sudden and out of the blue this tall skinny man walks right past us, down the aisle towards the stage and joined Eddie Kendricks. It was none other than David Ruffin! For the finale, Eddie and David joined Mary onstage to sing Auld Lang Syne. This was the night that Eddie and David decided to team up as a performing act.

Quote Originally Posted by arr&bee View Post
    I'm lucky enough to be a child of the sixties[greatest decade of music ever]and got to witness the greatest five man soul group ever on stage[the classic temps-eddie-paul-otis-melvin-david]it don't get no better!!!
    arr&bee yes I can imagine they were brilliant I would have loved to have seen the classic 5. I consider myself lucky enough just to see Otis, Melvin, Richard, Dennis & Ron especially Melvin and that amazing Bass voice.

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    Mary Wilson with opening act Eddie Kendricks , The Premier Center, Sterling Heights, Michigan December 31,1984. What a show! It's even been written about in books. This night every song Mary an her ladies performed was right on the mark! They did an encore of Donna Summer's "She Works hard for the Money" that had people dancing. But one of the other highlights of this concert was during Eddie's set. All of a sudden and out of the blue this tall skinny man walks right past us, down the aisle towards the stage and joined Eddie Kendricks. It was none other than David Ruffin! For the finale, Eddie and David joined Mary onstage to sing Auld Lang Syne. This was the night that Eddie and David decided to team up as a performing act.
    Marv2 how I would have loved to seen Eddie and David live even doing there solo stuff.

The one I enjoyed the most was The Motortown Revue aka The Tamla Motown Show at the Astoria, London in 1965.

I probably give a different answer every time I respond to this question, but off the top of my head.

1977 AN EVENING WITH DIANA ROSS

1979 DIANA ROSS: TOUR '79

1993 WHAT'S LOVE? tour - Tina Turner

2000 Nina Simone

2006 Tempts, O'Jays, Four Tops, and the Whispers at Radio City.

2008 DIVAS WITH HEART concert with Diana, Gladys, Patti, and Chaka at Radio City

2008 Labelle reunion concert at the Apollo

2009 Aretha at Radio City

Patti Labelle ..1980s ..Massachusetts
    Mary Wilson...Feinsteins 2002 est
    Labelle...Apollo ...2008
    Supremes...1970..Atlantic City Steel Pier
    Four Tops ...1971 est. Lambertville Music theater NJ

Quote Originally Posted by 144man View Post
    The one I enjoyed the most was The Motortown Revue aka The Tamla Motown Show at the Astoria, London in 1965.
    144man you were there! Now that would have been something seeing it live.

Great thread, McMotown, and great stories! Wish I coulda been there [[to all of 'em!)

*Della Reese and Chita Rivera were awesome in concert. Saw both many times in the 1970's.
    *Tina Turner before she became a superstar was incredible in concert. Saw her many times in the 1980's.
    *The Fifth Dimension were rocking it in concert.
    *Diana Ross' HBO's Las Vegas concert. Over-the-top mind-blowing. "Check it. Don't wear it." hahahaha
    Last edited by Circa 1824; 05-10-2017 at 02:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by McMotown View Post
    Marv2 how I would have loved to seen Eddie and David live even doing there solo stuff.
    Oh it was awesome! Eddie led off his set with "Intimate Friends", he and David did a run of classic Temptation songs, but none of David's solo work since it was Eddie's gig and David showed up as a surprise. For the finale, they all lined up onstage just as they did on the TV special "TCB with David and Eddie on each side of Mary Wilson and Mary's singers Robin Alexander and Karen Jackson on each end to sing Auld Lang Syne and I believe they sang "Someday We'll Be Together". It has been over 30 years now, gulp! LOL!

Quote Originally Posted by reese View Post
    I probably give a different answer every time I respond to this question, but off the top of my head.

1977 AN EVENING WITH DIANA ROSS

1979 DIANA ROSS: TOUR '79

1993 WHAT'S LOVE? tour - Tina Turner

2000 Nina Simone

2006 Tempts, O'Jays, Four Tops, and the Whispers at Radio City.

2008 DIVAS WITH HEART concert with Diana, Gladys, Patti, and Chaka at Radio City

2008 Labelle reunion concert at the Apollo

2009 Aretha at Radio City
    Apparently we've been to a few of the same shows!

If i may also give mention to the great[temptations reunion]concert-1982...gene chandler with the chi-lites.

If i may also give mention to the great[temptations reunion]concert-1982...gene chandler with the chi-lites.
    Yeah! I was in college when they came through Denver on the reunion tour and could go! I saw the Tempts and the Tops the next year out there.

In the early 80's I saw The Staples Singers at Harbourfront in Toronto and Mavis tore up "I'll Take You There" with a crowd that went nuts.

Also loved seeing The Tempts and O'Jays together one afternoon at the Ontario Place Forum and then that night in a small club called the Network, The Chi-Lites. The O'Jays and Tempts came to the show and went up on stage with The Chi-Lites to all sing together.

Oh it was awesome! Eddie led off his set with "Intimate Friends", he and David did a run of classic Temptation songs, but none of David's solo work since it was Eddie's gig and David showed up as a surprise. For the finale, they all lined up onstage just as they did on the TV special "TCB with David and Eddie on each side of Mary Wilson and Mary's singers Robin Alexander and Karen Jackson on each end to sing Auld Lang Syne and I believe they sang "Someday We'll Be Together". It has been over 30 years now, gulp! LOL!
    Hi Marv it might have been ahmm years ago but you remember it like yesterday and it does sound absolutely awesome.

at another Temps gig in the late 80s when Melvin was not well he had to keep going off for oxygen, which was sad.
    On a lighter note at yet another Temps gig earlier 80s Richard Street sang Heavenly and it was I could not believe I have never heard until then.

If I exclude the Velvelettes because I am totally biased towards them, then it is...

The Originals - Manchester Ritz

I have never ever witnessed such an outpouring of love like I did that day.

Hi Marv it might have been ahmm years ago but you remember it like yesterday and it does sound absolutely awesome.
    Oh it was! I remember it rained so hard that night and my date was getting scared everytime I hit a massive puddle in the road LOL! I remember them playing Tina Turner's album "
    Private Dancer" and Paul Hardcastle's "Rainforest" in the theater before the show started. It was New Year's Eve and it was Detroit so everyone was dressed in their finest. Mary performed "Reflections" in silhouette which was different and very nice.

Quote Originally Posted by theboyfromxtown View Post
    If I exclude the Velvelettes because I am totally biased towards them, then it is...

The Originals - Manchester Ritz

I have never ever witnessed such an outpouring of love like I did that day.
    theboyfromxtown, I have been communicating with Annette McMillan's son this past week. He is very excited about seeing some of the old videoclips of his mom. Would you have any information on her time with the Velvelettes to share with him?

Let me say too,that eddie kendricks solo in his prime in concert was a joy to behold.

Let me say too,that eddie kendricks solo in his prime in concert was a joy to behold.
    Man, he was so smooth. I saw him several times in concert and when he performed in Detroit he was at home and joked and kidded a lot with the audience. He'd come out to your table and have a drink with you. LOL!

Man, he was so smooth. I saw him several times in concert and when he performed in Detroit he was at home and joked and kidded a lot with the audience. He'd come out to your table and have a drink with you. LOL!
    marv2 so Eddie's been at your table just chatting and drinking?
    I've Never been to a gig like that.

marv2 so Eddie's been at your table just chatting and drinking?
    I've Never been to a gig like that.
    Yes! Eddie's youngest son is buddies with my nephew. They grew up together.

When the Funk Brothers toured after their movie. I got to meet them during intermission and after their shows. They were great musicians and people.
    And they played the songs at the correct tempo as the original songs.

edafan

I saw Mary Wilson about 7 or 8 years ago. Front row, center stage. I was in awe of her. She graciously signed my "Touch" CD and chatted with me about her charity work afterward. I've seen Ella, I've seen Aretha, I've seen Diana, and I've seen many, many others. Mary took the time to ask about me as a fan. For that reason, I will always love and respect her. I hate how people on this forum turn it into a "this-versus-that" contest. I loved seeing Mary and was thrilled to see Diana. Ella was too frail to do an after-event. Aretha, well... I also saw Dionne. Holy, wow. One of the best was Natalie Cole. What a magnificent performance she gave. Top notch. I just can't decide my favorite. But Mary has a special place.

Quote Originally Posted by edafan View Post
    When the Funk Brothers toured after their movie. I got to meet them during intermission and after their shows. They were great musicians and people.
    And they played the songs at the correct tempo as the original songs.

edafan
    I got to meet Bob Babbitt and what was left of the Funk Brothers in 2005 when backed Mary Wilson up in Riverhead Long Island, NY. Joan Osborne was there and Jimmy Buffet who lives on L.I. appeared as a surprised guest.

I got to meet Bob Babbitt and what was left of the Funk Brothers in 2005 when backed Mary Wilson up in Riverhead Long Island, NY. Joan Osborne was there and Jimmy Buffet who lives on L.I. appeared as a surprised guest.
    Amazing, I suppose that just how lucky you are living in the US. I would have loved going to some of those gigs in the US.
    Well it was this time ...... years ago I was off to Wembley Arena to see Stevie.
    Got to see Smokey a couple of times and Gladys a few times. However the venues I've been seem a bit to big not up close and personal.