[REMOVE ADS]

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Any "Blue Eyed Soul " Fans ?

If the answer is yes, I invite you to tune in tomorrow night. 9pm-midnight [[cst) on http://whpk.org and iTunes. Plus, I will be featuring the music of Teena Marie.

Podcast link will be posted on Friday,in case you're unable to listen tomorrow night.

Thanks

Teena Marie was a great singer! Ronnie Milsap was good too! His original recordings were R&B on Scepter--Never Had It
    So Good was great.

Oh no question,the work of-frankie valli&the four seasons..the beachboys..the rolling stones..the association..three dog night..the everly bros..the rightous bros..chicago..and the later work of the beatles will all stand the test of time and i'm glad to have alot of their work in my collection!!

Yes, but "blue eyed soul" refers to artists who are white, but sing R&B music. Wayne Cochran, Tommy Good, Linda
    Lyndell recorded R&B and the Righteous Brothers actually did on the Moonglow label. However, I have nothing against
    all the groups named above, I just don't consider them R&B/Soul artists.

Quote Originally Posted by randy_russi View Post
    yes, but "blue eyed soul" refers to artists who are white, but sing r&b music. Wayne cochran, tommy good, linda
    lyndell recorded r&b and the righteous brothers actually did on the moonglow label. However, i have nothing against
    all the groups named above, i just don't consider them r&b/soul artists.
    hey randy,good point i might have gotten a little carried away[hehe]but listen to[sherry]and tell me it's not r&b!!

Oh, I agree! Several of their songs in the early '60s received R&B airplay. But then I never really considered groups
    like the Crystals, Ronettes, or Chiffons to be R&B either.
    Have you ever heard "Sixteen Reasons" by Connie Stevens? It hit #1 on the Billboard R&B chart!

Bottom line is that soul music is soul music, no matter who does it, be they White, Black, Brown, or Martian.
    Last edited by soulster; 01-19-2011 at 11:20 PM. Reason: typo

Roy Head. What a singer, what a dancer.

But while Im on the thought - Lee Michaels...Doobie Brothers...Hall and Oates...[[if you play any of their stuff PLEASE play Say It Isnt SO or One on One)...Blood Sweat and Tears...Kenny Loggins....Van Morrison...Boz Scaggs....Lou Reed....Edgar Winters...Elton John...

I could go on for days, but in some cases its the song you found funky by them Have great show Gee Tee.

More later....
    Last edited by ladyvanaye; 01-19-2011 at 03:53 PM.

Great show idea, G. You know who I want to hear, first and foremost [[Gino Vanelli) But, there is a wealth of music that came under that category, years ago. Looking forward to listening. @Ladyvanaye-Roy Head-Yes!

Quote Originally Posted by randy_russi View Post
    Yes, but "blue eyed soul" refers to artists who are white, but sing R&B music. Wayne Cochran, Tommy Good, Linda
    Lyndell recorded R&B and the Righteous Brothers actually did on the Moonglow label. However, I have nothing against
    all the groups named above, I just don't consider them R&B/Soul artists.
    I agree. To me blue- eyed soul is Dusty Springfield, Michael Mc Donald, people like that. The Four Seasons, Tom Jones, Three Dog Night were pop artists whose music had crossover appeal, but they weren't blue-eyed soul. Before I forget, Duane Allman, a white boy who played some funky guitar.
    Last edited by Kamasu_Jr; 01-19-2011 at 04:13 PM.

My blue-eyed soul favorites [[if there is really such a thing) are Pete Rivera & Rare Earth, Guess Who, Tom Jones, Len Barry, Hall & Oates, The Rascals, Teena Marie, The Reflections [[Tony Micale). Shades of Blue, Flaming Ember, Timi Yuro, Bobby Caldwell, Gino Vanelli, AWB, Robert Palmer, Joss Stone, Stevie Winwood[[sometimes), and Robin Thicke just to name a few........

I see that there are some fans here. [[very good)

All I can say is that we have our own opinion as to what "blue eyed soul" can be considered. What you will hear tomorrow is music that was played on black radio that crossed over back in the day,or what was played in my neighborhood.

Either way, it's good music no matter what color of the artist.

Thanks,and I hope you enjoy what you hear tomorrow night.

Quote Originally Posted by GeeTee[[HPK) View Post
    I see that there are some fans here. [[very good)

All I can say is that we have our own opinion as to what "blue eyed soul" can be considered. What you will hear tomorrow is music that was played on black radio that crossed over back in the day,or what was played in my neighborhood.

Either way, it's good music no matter what color of the artist.

Thanks,and I hope you enjoy what you hear tomorrow night.
    I liked Frank Sinatra a lot . He put out some really great music.

kokomo,paul young,level 42,[[early) simply red,kiki dee,long john baldry,joe cocker,dusty springfield,early lulu and lisa stansfield,stretch?

How about Cilla Black....Heatwave, Dancing In The Street?

I found this clip of YouTube,and I think there's a nice selection of artist here. Some you may or may not be familiar with.

great Philly Blue Eyed Soul from The Destinations.. I have a clip of them singing this on Hy-Lit and its amazing how soulful these guys were!

The Magnificent Men featuring the soulful lead voice of Dave Bupp [[former lead singer for The Del-Chords)

Walter Scott: also was lead singer for Bob Kuban & The In Men

Mr.Tommy Good: a good [[pun intended) friend of mine also a member here on SDF!

the late great Johnny Maestro! had a lot of Soul...

The Bees are actually a new UK band that have Soul.

Billy Vera & The Contrasts another blue eyed group with Soul!

bob brady and the concords

Billy Vera did a record on Atlantic with Judy Clay, I think it was called Country Girl-City Man. They had an lp together
    too.
    Isn't this the same Billy Vera that plays guitar? In recent years he's been a musician rather than a singer, right?

As somebody said when you hear it you know it--regardless of race...Now how the hell did Connie Stevens hit number 1 on R&B--I KNOW i didnt hear soul there. The Righteous Bros on Philles were r&b too.

David Lasley [[solo artist and lead singer for The Utopias, Rosie and background singer on countless sessions) gets my vote not only is he a very soulful but he has written songs for the likes of Aretha Franklin, Luther Vandross, Patti LaBelle, Whitney Houston, Donnie Warwick, Anita Baker, Chaka Khan, Tina Turner, Dusty Springfield, Natalie Cole, The Poniter Sisters, Bonnie Raitt, Boz Scaggs, Jennifer Holliday, Patti Austin and Randy Crawford just to name a few.

Well, obviously, the Connie Stevens record was very popular with teenage girls of all races. It really wasn't a guy's
    record, but girls are the majority of record buyers anyway.

It's just not r and b--Dodie Stevens popular too and Debby Boone.

It's showtime !

http://whpk.org and iTunes

Hey, folks...I hope that y'all are checking out this show tonight. DJ Geetee is taking folks to school ...

Thanks Cat ! I'll have the podcast link available later today. Time for some Zzzzzzzzzzzzz .......... Later ...

Here's the podcast from last night. I got a lot great feedback, [[calls,messages on Facebook) and I will do a follow up show in the month of March. I had a great time,but 3 hours goes so fast. I hope you enjoy the podcast. Thanks !

http://whpk.org/temp/201101202100.mp3

Hey, no mention of The Soul Survivors! Check out their Atco album.

I meant to play some Soul Survivors on my show,but I will make sure to play them next time. Great group !

ok gee, i'm about to check out the podcast now!

Well ..

I'm surprised no-one has mentioned THE BOX TOPS before in this thread ..

Back in the late '60s/early '70s there did seem to me to be a genre of music called "Blue Eyed Soul", where white acts ignored the trends to "Progressive Rock" or "Heavy Metal" and made music that fitted in with Motown/Soul, acts like FLAMING EMBERS and THE RASCALS are already mentioned .. I'd put THE BOX TOPS in the same bag ..

Here is their best known single "The Letter" .. which made the Billboard R&B charts .. mind you looking at the audience on the video I can't help but think that some of them are struggling to find some connection between what they are listening to and such things as Walruses and White Rabbits!!

THE BOX TOPS :- THE LETTER

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2gRpgL90vBU&feature=fvst

Here is one that was a big hit in the U.K. .. "Soul Deep" .. even includes the "S" word in the title ..

THE BOX TOPS :- SOUL DEEP

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pP8mzQZFNQA

And my own personal favourite .. "Cry Like A Baby ..

THE BOX TOPS - CRY LIKE A BABY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xzJQ4...eature=related

Roger

Oh, Roger..... Soul Deep has got to be my favorite of this genre... but sometimes I can't decide, between it and this one:

Since posting this thread a week ago, has anyone on the forum listened to the show ? I posted the link,and wanted to see you thoughts about the show. [[like, dislike, don't care, etc; ? )

Thanks

The Soul Survivors are sensational! I saw them about two years ago and they still sound great. Mitch Ryder was very
    good too.
    Genya Ravan who led Goldie & the Gingerbreads in the '60s can really sing too.

I think Genya is better known as the voice behind Cold Blood.

I thought that was Lydia Pense.

Genya Ravan sang with Ten Wheel Drive not Cold Blood and also recorded about eight solo projects.

Genya Ravan produced Ronnie Spector's first solo lp, Siren, on the Polish label in 1980.

Hi GeeTee ..

Having read your post I thought I'd listen to the show, it was interesting to see that the focus of the show was more on the '70s/early '80s jazz-fusion and disco-funk style material than on the '60s material I was expecting. Mind you, the show seemed to be also a tribute to the great TEENA MARIE, so it did fit the theme. And there were a few nice '60s surprises too.

Very enjoyable, I just wish I could get better sound quality out of my laptop.

One track I kept thinking of that would have fitted well musically with your selection was this little gem, that just crept into the UK Top 50 in 1979 .. "Feel The Real" by DAVID BENDETH .. I don't know how much exposure it got in the U.S. but I've loved it ever since I first heard it ..

DAVID BENDETH : "Feel The Real"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A5l4E...eature=related

See if you like it, could be a good addition to your next "Blue Eyed Soul" show.

Roger

Hi Roger,

I'm listening to the track you suggested. I like it ,and I think if would fit the format. [[thanks for the suggestion) I'm not if it received mush airplay in the states, but I can tell you that this my first time hearing it.

The follow up show in March, I will try to include more 60s material.

Thanks for replying back,and checking out the MP3.

So who was in Cold Blood?

oops. just saw the Lydia Pense answer. I get the 2 confused because I was never a big fan of either bands.

Great performance from P.J. Proby http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8oqCRQ6Pkgw

Eddie Hinton sounding a lot like his hero Otis Redding -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h9xUFfNN_jE

This is a good thread to ressurrect.... this is song that's not well known, but kicks ass:

I'm doing Part 2 of the "Blue Eyed Soul" show March 17th, 9pm-midnight [[cst) http://whpk.org and iTunes
    I'll try to play what I wasn't able to play last time.

Thanks

GeeTee, It would be nice if you could work in "French Blue Eyed Soul" , Pop singer Claude Francois for a little added diversity. Here he is , Claude Francois performing - "J'Attendrai" [["Reach Out I'll Be There") by the Four Tops:

You know, Marv..... the go-go dancers are fantabulous!!! The arrangement and production TOP NOTCH. his singing, not so much.

To think this woman is working at a Home Depot in St. Louis while Britney Spears has a record deal and millions of dollars makes me want to cry:

Quote Originally Posted by jillfoster View Post
    You know, Marv..... the go-go dancers are fantabulous!!! The arrangement and production TOP NOTCH. his singing, not so much.
    Jill, I'll take that. I give him credit for just even attempting to do this song in it's original arrangement the way Levi sang it. It is not an easy song to sing . Most American R&B singers would have to alter it to get through it. I give him a "C" for courage. hehehehehhee....!