[REMOVE ADS]

Thread: Bloodstone

Bloodstone

Hello, does anyone know how history of Bloodstone at Motown I'm assuming it was around 1976 -78 as they released the 'Don't Stop' album in78 then they seemed to disappear till 1982 where they turned up on T-Neck.

They had another name before becoming Bloodstone . . . . BUT as BLOODSTONE . ....
    they had a couple of 45s out on London in the US in 72 but then relocated to the UK, cutting in a rural Oxfordshire studio for Decca in 73 [[though still on London in US). Stayed with Decca / London with last release coming in summer 76. London contract expired, signed to Motown sometime in 78 with 45 & album being released [[45 escaping early in 79). I THINK a 2nd album was cut for Motown but not released. That contract lapsed eventually when T Neck signed them in 82.

Quote Originally Posted by McMotown View Post
    Hello, does anyone know how history of Bloodstone at Motown I'm assuming it was around 1976 -78 as they released the 'Don't Stop' album in78 then they seemed to disappear till 1982 where they turned up on T-Neck.
    Can't believe I had never heard of this group before! Thanks for bringing them to my attention, McMotown!! I shall research further right now...
    Last edited by TomatoTom123; 04-29-2017 at 07:47 PM.

As jsmith said, Bloodstone were signed to Decca in the early/mid-'70s and their last album for the label was entitled Train Ride To Hollywood, released in 1976. They had one album on Motown, Don't Stop, released in January 1979, and one single, "Just Wanna Get The Feel Of It" b/w "It's Been A Long Time" came out in April of the same year.

Here's the track listing for Don't Stop [[M7 909R1):

SIDE ONE
    Don't Stop [[3:53)
    I'm Just Doing My Job [[5:09)
    Throw A Little Loving My Way [[4:24)
    It's All Been Said Before [[6:29)

SIDE TWO
    She Wants To Hear The Words [[3:34)
    Just Wanna Get The Feel Of It [[6:23)
    You Bring Out The Best In Me [[4:14)
    It's Been A Long Time [[3:50)

All tracks were produced by Winston Monseque, who was also Táta Vega's manager I believe.

Furthermore... It would seem that Don't Stop was reissued on CD in 2009 by the Japanese label 'Surfer Soul Around 1980' and then again by [[Japanese) Motown in 2013.

Anyways, after Bloodstone's brief stint at Motown, you're right, McMotown, they signed with The Isleys' T-Neck label and released two more albums!
    Last edited by TomatoTom123; 04-30-2017 at 05:00 AM.

It appears that "It's All Been Said Before" is the same song as The Supremes.

https://youtu.be/THP6tsq0ZJY

Thanks. That might be interesting if they cut another album for Motown. I have a greatest hits album but sadly no Motown tracks appear on. Just found the whole album someone posted on youtube have to give that a listen. Thanks again for your help/knowledge.

Thanks. That might be interesting if they cut another album for Motown. I have a greatest hits album but sadly no Motown tracks appear on. Just found the whole album someone posted on youtube have to give that a listen. Thanks again for your help/knowledge.
    McMotown, I have to say, this group are simply BRILLIANT! Thank you for this thread. Their Motown album is excellent too!!! I love "Don't Stop" and just adore "Just Wanna Get The Feel Of It"...

Thanks Tom, glad you enjoying them. Yes and like you really enjoying 'Just Wanna Get The Feel Of It' too. I wonder if jsmith is right about an unreleased album in the vaults.

Just bought the album, had to have this in my collection.

Decca UK cut .... recorded just up the road from where I live ....

Chipping Norton Studios ... now closed, stripped out & long gone. The studio was in a small rural town where the last UK PM [[David Cameron) lives ... a very posh location.
    When the studio closed, they sold on any equipment that wasn't obsolete BUT they just took the contents of the tape library & dumped everything in a skip that went to the tip.
    A friend of mine got wind of what was happening & went by each night to rescue the acetates from being destroyed. I believe he eventually sold them on via Evilbay ...

Attachment 12864
    Last edited by jsmith; 04-30-2017 at 02:42 PM.

I remember seeing Bloodstone on their first appearance in the UK. They were part of a package night put on by Blues & Soul magazine starring Al Green, Rufus Thomas and Philip Mitchell amongst others. Bloodstone opened the second half as unknowns and blew everyone away. They started with a version of 'Family Affair' which was new and hot at the time and for many of us were the stars of the night. As a result they got signed to Decca. Their 'Natural High' album is still one of my favourites.

Quote Originally Posted by TomatoTom123 View Post
    Can't believe I had never heard of this group before! Thanks for bringing them to my attention, McMotown!! I shall research further right now...
    This is one of the classic groups even prior to Motown. I have Don't Stop on a cd ripped from vinyl. My favs were "I'm Just Doing My Job" and "Just Wanna Get the Feel of It".

Thanks Tom, glad you enjoying them. Yes and like you really enjoying 'Just Wanna Get The Feel Of It' too. I wonder if jsmith is right about an unreleased album in the vaults.
    Yea, really love that track. A Motown-Modern Soul-Funk-Disco gem!!

And I sure hope jsmith is right about a second unreleased LP in those Motown vaults, I would love to hear it.

Quote Originally Posted by jsmith View Post
    Chipping Norton Studios ... now closed, stripped out & long gone. The studio was in a small rural town where the last UK PM [[David Cameron) lives ... a very posh location.
    When the studio closed, they sold on any equipment that wasn't obsolete BUT they just took the contents of the tape library & dumped everything in a skip that went to the tip.
    A friend of mine got wind of what was happening & went by each night to rescue the acetates from being destroyed. I believe he eventually sold them on via Evilbay ...

Attachment 12864
    Thanks for the info jsmith!

Quote Originally Posted by alanh View Post
    I remember seeing Bloodstone on their first appearance in the UK. They were part of a package night put on by Blues & Soul magazine starring Al Green, Rufus Thomas and Philip Mitchell amongst others. Bloodstone opened the second half as unknowns and blew everyone away. They started with a version of 'Family Affair' which was new and hot at the time and for many of us were the stars of the night. As a result they got signed to Decca. Their 'Natural High' album is still one of my favourites.
    So great to hear, alan! They were clearly a great group and very talented. Not very well known today sadly.
    Last edited by TomatoTom123; 04-30-2017 at 09:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by RanRan79 View Post
    This is one of the classic groups even prior to Motown. I have Don't Stop on a cd ripped from vinyl. My favs were "I'm Just Doing My Job" and "Just Wanna Get the Feel of It".
    Yes, they certainly are, RanRan! Can't believe I hadn't heard of them [[at all) before. I have checked some out of their Decca and T-Neck stuff and it's equally excellent.

Also, I believe their Don't Stop album has been reissued on CD, if you're interested in getting a copy, RanRan.

Here's the cheapest copy I could find: https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00DY...P6L&ref=plSrch

Last edited by TomatoTom123; 04-30-2017 at 09:12 PM.

some great tracks 'Outside Woman' and 'Natural High'. I have the CD ' We Go along Way Back' ripped from vinyl. Bought the The Very Best of Bloodstone few years back and listening tothe CD in the car and 'Let Me Ride' track come on frightened the daylights out of me with a motor bike. , thought one was actually ovetaking me and I hadn't seen it in my mirrors ha ha ha.

I will never understand the appeal of Its All Been Said Before. Too frenetic for me. Though I like this version better. To me it sounded like Scherrie was almost screaming on the Supremes one.

Quote Originally Posted by luke View Post
    I will never understand the appeal of Its All Been Said Before. Too frenetic for me. Though I like this version better. To me it sounded like Scherrie was almost screaming on the Supremes one.
    I agree, luke. Though I like the Supremes version of the song, Scherries voice gets a bit shrill in a couple of places. The Bloodstone version starts off okay for me but then it disintegrates into something unrecognizable to me. You don't really get the melody of the song. I like it, but it doesn't sound like It's All Been Said Before to me.

This was my introduction to Bloodstone, on the otherwise rock/progressive dominated BBC show The Old Grey Whistle Test. Needless to say, it blew me away

And this. As JSmith says, the very British town of Chipping Norton was home to this amazing soulful performance

What the studio building looked like [[it's still standing but no longer a studio) ....Attachment 12879

thanks for finding that clip Soulwally. Love that track.

Quote Originally Posted by jsmith View Post
    What the studio building looked like [[it's still standing but no longer a studio) ....Attachment 12879
    Didn't the Olympic Runners, Gonzalez and Pete Wingfield record there too? His Eighteen With A Bullet featured some very clever wordplay but also a real understanding of doo wop/soul, and it came out in the grooves

Yes, lots of soul / BES artists cut there .... mainly produced by Mike Vernon who initially had the place set up for his Blue Horizon acts to use. A track on Freddie King's 'Larger Than Life' LP [[75) was also cut there as were tracks by the likes of Stevie Winwood, Level 42, Shakatak, Chris Farlowe, Climax Blues Band, Mezzoforte, Wet Wet Wet and many more.
    FOR MORE INFO ... see here .........
    http://www.philsbook.com/chipping-norton.html

.... an extract .... If you visit Chipping Norton village in Oxfordshire in search of the old studio, one things stands out about its location that at first seems odd. For such a small village, it must have been strange to suddenly have this major studio complex open on the main road, right in its heart, for all to see. And yet talking to the locals about days gone by you get the idea of an integration and acceptance, as if the studio was just another friendly local pub or shop that was part and parcel of the village life.
    Last edited by jsmith; 05-03-2017 at 02:29 AM.

I never knew about Chipping Norton. What ever happened to the likes of Mezzoforte, Level 42? Shakatak went to pasture new Japan. Remember seeing Wet Wet Wet as Lionel Richie's warm up act for his Dancing on the Ceiling tour back in the 80s, I thought they were awful live.

A more recent outing from the group ....

Thanks J - lovely track, what album is that from? as the wife is going to love that. I'm still waiting for 'Don't stop' to come through the post.

I have a couple of Bloodstone albums. I'll have to dig them out. I have always loved "Natural High". Wasn't it a big hit?

Quote Originally Posted by vgalindo View Post
    I have a couple of Bloodstone albums. I'll have to dig them out. I have always loved "Natural High". Wasn't it a big hit?
    Hi vgalindo I've been looking to see if it was a big hit, but not that I can find.

Hi vgalindo I've been looking to see if it was a big hit, but not that I can find.
    Hey McMotown and vgalindo, according to Wikipedia, the song made it to #10 on the US Pop Charts and #4 on the R&B Charts, which is pretty good. It also reached #40 on the UK Singles Chart. It was Bloodstone's first chart entry and proved to be their biggest hit! Here's the link to their Wikipedia page: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bloodstone_[[band)

Hey McMotown and vgalindo, according to Wikipedia, the song made it to #10 on the US Pop Charts and #4 on the R&B Charts, which is pretty good. It also reached #40 on the UK Singles Chart. It was Bloodstone's first chart entry and proved to be their biggest hit! Here's the link to their Wikipedia page: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bloodstone_[[band)
    Many thanks Tom

Many thanks Tom
    Yes thanks Tom for the information!

You're very welcome

Quote Originally Posted by alanh View Post
    I saw that tour and, you're right, Bloodstone nearly stole the show. Wasn't Tami Lynn on the bill as well?

Quote Originally Posted by 144man View Post
    I saw that tour and, you're right, Bloodstone nearly stole the show. Wasn't Tami Lynn on the bill as well?
    You lucky people, getting Bloodstone! I saw the show when it played the New Century Hall in Manchester. I think the tour was promoted by Blues and Soul magazine. We got Tami Lynn, Rufus Thomas, Philip Mitchell, Al Green and I'm sure one or two more.

I've never had the chance to see them. Finally received the 'Don't Stop album' just put it on so far so good. Give the album a good listen too over the weekend.

I've never had the chance to see them. Finally received the 'Don't Stop album' just put it on so far so good. Give the album a good listen too over the weekend.
    Nice, McMotown! I'm thinking of putting it [[and other CDs) on my birthday list, but then I'll have to explain who they are and why I like them [[and bla bla bla) to my ignorant family... hmmmmm... LOL

Nice, McMotown! I'm thinking of putting it [[and other CDs) on my birthday list, but then I'll have to explain who they are and why I like them [[and bla bla bla) to my ignorant family... hmmmmm... LOL
    Tom - it's a good album and fortunately Mrs McM is a bit of a Bloodstone fan and has got her seal of approval too . Still got to win her round with all the other lesser known members of the Motown family though so I know how you feel.

Tom - it's a good album and fortunately Mrs McM is a bit of a Bloodstone fan and has got her seal of approval too . Still got to win her round with all the other lesser known members of the Motown family though so I know how you feel.
    Hehe, great to hear! I've got to find me a wife like that. [[Lol... forgive me)

And, yea, I want to get that Hearts Of Stone CD too but they're even rarer! Decisions, decisions....

Actually, McMotown, there are two tracks from Bloodstone's Don't Stop album that I haven't been able to listen to on YouTube: "She Wants To Hear The Words" and "You Bring Out The Best In Me"... can I ask what they're like?

Hehe, great to hear! I've got to find me a wife like that. [[Lol... forgive me)

And, yea, I want to get that Hearts Of Stone CD too but they're even rarer! Decisions, decisions....
    Nothing to forgive
    Yes I know what you mean there is so much out there waiting to be discovered but having to prioritise it all is a problem.

Nothing to forgive
    Yes I know what you mean there is so much out there waiting to be discovered but having to prioritise it all is a problem.
    Mmm, indeed, McMotown. I guess I'll just have to get both

Mmm, indeed, McMotown. I guess I'll just have to get both
    Tom, been listening to Bloodstone over and over and I can't fault it. incidentally it was produced by Winston Monseque who produced Tata Vega and few others. Love Tata's 'Give it Up For Love' unfortunately I've got no album of hers.

Tom, been listening to Bloodstone over and over and I can't fault it. incidentally it was produced by Winston Monseque who produced Tata Vega and few others. Love Tata's 'Give it Up For Love' unfortunately I've got no album of hers.
    Nice. Actually, can I ask, what's the sound quality like on the CD?

And, yea, Winston Monseque did some fantastic work at Motown! I believe he was Tata's manager as well as producer.

Hey, McMotown, Tata's first two Motown albums Full Speed Ahead [[1976) and Totally Tata [[1977) have been reissued as expanded CD editions by soulmusic.com! Unfortunately 1978's Try My Love and 1980's Givin' All My Love have not been, but they are available on iTunes. Unfortunately only on the US iTunes Store, not the UK one, for some unknown reason!!!

[QUOTE=TomatoTom123;386191]Nice. Actually, can I ask, what's the sound quality like on the CD?

Hi Tom I'm not sure if my ears are as finally tuned as yours, but I would say the quality is as good as any other CD and not recorded from vinyl.

Hi Tom I'm not sure if my ears are as finally tuned as yours, but I would say the quality is as good as any other CD and not recorded from vinyl.
    Thanks McMotown.