[REMOVE ADS]

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Halle berry respectfully declines aretha franklin role

http://bossip.com/332173/halle-berry...c-movie-73373/

This is the only article that I can find stating it. Seems to be a "messy" gossip column but I never could see Halle playing Aretha

She gone get beat up! LOL!!!

The article I read said she would definitely consider it but couldnt sing it.

topdiva1 Guest
    Halle would not make a good RERE try Queen Latifa who is a great actress and good singer.

Halle made a great call playing Dorothy Dandridge. I think she's quite right not to try Aretha. topdiva, that's a good call as well, Dana could do the role justice. Jill Scott might be another singer/actress who could get the job done well.

topdiva1 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by chidrummer View Post
    Halle made a great call playing Dorothy Dandridge. I think she's quite right not to try Aretha. topdiva, that's a good call as well, Dana could do the role justice. Jill Scott might be another singer/actress who could get the job done well.
    Jill Scott is a sensational suggestion. Wow!!!!!!!!!!!

But Aretha wanted Halle. She could have done it just to make Aretha happy!

topdiva1 Guest
    Halle likely really said HELL NO!!!

Quote Originally Posted by topdiva1 View Post
    Halle likely really said HELL NO!!!
    That's why she'll likely get beat up! LOL!!!!

Halle would not make a good RERE try Queen Latifa who is a great actress and good singer.
    Topdiva1, I really want Latifah to play Pearl Bailey.

I'm sitting here looking at an early seventies picture of the queen and i see,another queen[latifah]in that role!!

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    But Aretha wanted Halle. She could have done it just to make Aretha happy!
    and if she fails at it, it's her career on the line...I think Halle did the right thing declining. Honestly, other than being too pretty for the role, I don't think she's a good enough actress to pull it off

Safe to say I'm glad Halle said "no". Of course she has to give Aretha r-e-s-p-e-c-t. No way she would be disrespectful. If she had replied "hell naw I ain't playing that woman!" That would've deserve a smack but Halle does have some class. Like I said, this film won't be released. It'll be delayed for another year.

What I think is more interesting is 'how Aretha sees herself'. I heard her say this 'Halle' thing on Wendy Williams show the other day when she called in and I though, 'she cant be serious'. For vocal abilities and a few acting clues, the following in my opinion are the call for this bio-pic...[[since, no harm intended , Aretha plans on being alive and seeing this through to the end...classic Aretha ego...lol...)

Kelly Price, who sounds A LOT like the young Aretha...
    Jill Scott came to mind...the stage presence is very similar...
    and dare I say it...Jennifer Hudson.

Jennifer Hudson or Jill Scott are both right physically to portray Aretha. The young Aretha was cute, but she was not Halle Berry. What about Beyonce?

MissLish Guest
    Some of y'all get too hung up on the superficial. There are countless of great performances where the actor looks nothing like the character they are portraying. It's about bring Aretha's spirit to life peeps. Come on now.

Quote Originally Posted by MissLish View Post
    Some of y'all get too hung up on the superficial. There are countless of great performances where the actor looks nothing like the character they are portraying. It's about bring Aretha's spirit to life peeps. Come on now.
    OK, but Halle Berry as Aretha? C'MON.

Quote Originally Posted by misslish View Post
    some of y'all get too hung up on the superficial. There are countless of great performances where the actor looks nothing like the character they are portraying. It's about bring aretha's spirit to life peeps. Come on now.
    if you gonna do a movie about someone's life then the actor should look something like the person they're portraying[yes lady sings the blues was good but diana as billie??no]and tell me why does beyonce's name always pop up,i guess if they do the[moms mabley story]they'll want beyonce for that role too...queen latifah as aretha.

MissLish Guest
    Again, there are countless roles where the actor looked nothing like the character portrayed.

Jennifer Hudson would be a perfect candidate IMO. Have you guys heard her version of "Respect"? She's got no problem with the singing part and she's an Academy Award winner.
    Last edited by carlo; 01-19-2011 at 05:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by misslish View Post
    again, there are countless roles where the actor looked nothing like the character portrayed.
    yep,and if they ever do the diana ross story we'll get...whoopi goldberg..sounds like a winner to me!!

No it is about the look AND the vocal ability ...Aretha is larger than life in her circles...And really, Im still not over LEON doing LITTLE RICHARD when MIGUEL NUNEZ JR who can sing, dance and looks closer to LITTLE RICHARD played him in the Why DO Fools Fall In Love Movie as young Richard, but not in the bio-pic. A big WTH...Larenz Tate as Frankie Lymon was questionable too...but it worked. AND BEYONCE should NOT play Aretha in ANY aspect. Enough of her already...

Quote Originally Posted by ladyvanaye View Post
    No it is about the look AND the vocal ability ...Aretha is larger than life in her circles...And really, Im still not over LEON doing LITTLE RICHARD when MIGUEL NUNEZ JR who can sing, dance and looks closer to LITTLE RICHARD played him in the Why DO Fools Fall In Love Movie as young Richard, but not in the bio-pic. A big WTH...Larenz Tate as Frankie Lymon was questionable too...but it worked. AND BEYONCE should NOT play Aretha in ANY aspect. Enough of her already...
    LadyV, I mentioned Beyonce because Aretha is obviously thinking of someone glamourous and light complexioned. BEYONCE might EVEN PUT ON A LITTLE WEIGHT.

Quote Originally Posted by carlo View Post
    Jennifer Hudson would be a perfect candidate IMO. Have you guys heard her version of "Respect"? She's got no problem with the singing part and she's an Academy Award winner.

Makes sense to me.

Quote Originally Posted by arrr&bee View Post
    yep,and if they ever do the diana ross story we'll get...whoopi goldberg..sounds like a winner to me!!

I always vote for Buster Rhymes to do the role of Diana! Whoopi could be his under study or stunt double for the film! hehehehehehehe!

Quote Originally Posted by ladyvanaye View Post
    Beyonce? Oh heck no! Aretha is on the outs with her. Beyonce never made an Act of Contrition satisfiable to our Queen! Beyonce, in an abominable act of treason once referred to Tina Turner as "The Queen" ........in public! Now she cannot be trusted or worthy to be in the company of Aretha! She had better be glad this is not the Middle Ages or it would be off with her head! LOL!!!!!

@Ladvanaye

Nuff said on both counts

I believe that Leon is very convincing portraying singers, but his portrayal of Little Richard was an example of horrible miscasting.
    Last edited by juicefree20; 01-19-2011 at 06:41 PM.

I hereby renounce & repudiate anyone who requests that I portray the following...

Sam Cooke
    Otis Redding
    Marvin Gaye
    James Brown
    Wilson Pickett
    Little Richard
    Eddie King Jr.
    Choirboy
    Duck Matthews
    J.T. Matthews
    Dresser
    Flash & ANY of The Five Horsemen
    Bird or ANY of The Midnight Falcons
    Big Red
    The Supremes
    and

Bobby Fuller!

Producers, please remove my name from your lists!

For pure chops & similarity in look at that age, I'd go with Jennifer Hudson because that girl has similar incendiary vocal qualities of 'The Queen". I could also see Jill Scott in this role. I love Latifah, but she doesn't quite have the vocal power, shading or nuances that Aretha possesed at such a young age. As I hate the idea of EVERYTHING having to be lip-synched, as regards this particular role, Latifah drops down a notch for me.

I believe that Jennifer has all of the ingredients necessary to knock this role out of the park.

Quote Originally Posted by juicefree20 View Post
    I hereby renounce & repudiate anyone who requests that I portray the following...

Sam Cooke
    Otis Redding
    Marvin Gaye
    James Brown
    Wilson Pickett
    Little Richard
    Eddie King Jr.
    Choirboy
    Duck Matthews
    J.T. Matthews
    Dresser
    Flash & ANY of The Five Horsemen
    Bird or ANY of The Midnight Falcons
    Big Red
    The Supremes
    and

Bobby Fuller!

Producers, please remove my name from your lists!
    AWwww! LOL!!!!

This is the sweet, young and tender Aretha........

topdiva1 Guest
    For pure chops & similarity in look at that age, I'd go with Jennifer Hudson because that girl has similar incendiary vocal qualities of 'The Queen". I could also see Jill Scott in this role. I love Latifah, but she doesn't quite have the vocal power, shading or nuances that Aretha possesed at such a young age. As I hate the idea of EVERYTHING having to be lip-synched, as regards this particular role, Latifah drops down a notch for me.

I believe that Jennifer has all of the ingredients necessary to knock this role out of the park.
    That is a more sensible choice - but - RERE- wants to be seen as beautiful, thin, and light, and believes she looks just like Halle.

That is a more sensible choice - but - RERE- wants to be seen as beautiful, thin, and light, and believes she looks just like Halle.
    That's right and Halle is suppose to do whatever Aretha says! I cannot even believe she is contemplating turning down Aretha? Halle, think it over!

As regards the issue as to whether the actor should bear SOME similarity to the individual being portrayed, run this potential movie marquee through your mind...

STEPHANIE MILLS IS DIANA ROSS IN 'THE DIANA ROSS STORY'!!

Now, I wouldn't care if this happened, as Stephanie can sing her behind off. But, how would most fans view this selection?

I believe that folks should bear a resemblance to the person that they're portraying. When I watch a biography, I want to believe it. If, as is being suggested, looks mean nothing, why not let Celine Dion have the role? Would you pick Shaquille O'Neal to portray the life of Mickey Rooney, or Brad Pitt to portray Babe Ruth? There's absolutely NOTHING superficial about imagery. If that were really true, then people would select the BEST actor/actress/performer, as opposed to one whom is more marketable or has a CERTAIN look.

Then too, have often have I read here about how someone LOOKS? How often have I read words such as 'glamorous' spoken more than anything else about these folks? How many fans choose & deify their idols based upon how they LOOK, the glamorous things that they WEAR/WORE & less about the more ordinary things about them?

It seems to me as though Webster's describes THAT as behavior that's somewhat 'superficial'.

I believe that certain choices in these situations speaks volumes & can lead to a discussion that I have ZERO interest in entertaining here. In some situations, there is indeed a message which is FAR from 'superficial'.

Those who understand, understand. Those who don't, don't, won't & likely never will, or simply choose not to.
    Last edited by juicefree20; 01-19-2011 at 07:10 PM.

Well at one time, Aretha was beautiful, thin, and "light".

MissLish Guest

How do you know what Aretha's thoughts are?

"Shaquille O'Neal to portray the life of Mickey Rooney"... OMG! LOL! I do understand your point though.

topdiva1 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by skooldem1 View Post
    And we now have to deal with the remains if that time. If a film is ecer made in her life time - it will be of little substance. You know how the Queen do!!!

Topdiva said...[[sorry...haven't quite figured out this quote thingy)...

Personally, I believe that Jennifer Hudson is quite attractive & has nothing to feel ashamed of. I doubt that many men would run away screaming from Jennifer. In fact, I hope that she doesn't try to lose anymore weight & stays right where she is presently. There's no shame in having Jennifer portray anyone & for some, Jennifer is a marked step-up.

Also to be considered, if you compare both ladies at a similar age, physically, there's not very much that separates Jennifer & Aretha. For comparasion, break out a few of those old Columbia or Atlantic LPs from the early-to-mid 60's.

But, Re-Re was definitely a BAAADDDD Mama Jama, which leads me to the second consideration. One of the things that spun the mainstream on its collective ear, was the power & authority that Aretha exercised when she sang Respect. That young lady wasn't merely ASKING for respect, she was DEMANDING it.

Which is to say that that young woman had fire & a spark. I get that same energy from Jennifer. For as much as I like & appreciate her, not so much from Halle.

Jennifer would be my choice.
    Last edited by juicefree20; 01-19-2011 at 07:22 PM.

topdiva1 Guest
    Topdiva said...[[sorry...haven't quite figured out this quote thingy)...

Personally, I believe that Jennifer Hudson is quite attractive & has nothing to feel ashamed of. I doubt that many men would run away screaming from Jennifer. In fact, I hope that she doesn't try to lose anymore weight & stays right where she is presently. There's no shame in having Jennifer portray anyone & for some, Jennifer is a marked step-up.

Also to be considered, if you compare both ladies at a similar age, physically, there's not very much that separates Jennifer & Aretha. For comparasion, break out a few of those old Columbia or Atlantic LPs from the early-to-mid 60's.

But, Re-Re was definitely a BAAADDDD Mama Jama, which leads me to the second consideration. One of the things that spun the mainstream on its collective ear, was the power & authority that Aretha exercised when she sang Respect. That young lady wasn't merely ASKING for respect, she was DEMANDING it.

Which is to say that that young woman had fire & a spark. I get that same energy from Jennifer. For as much as I like & appreciate her, not so much from Halle.

Jennifer would be my choice.
    And she would be mine - for a number of reasons - Now I do not know - but I think RERE wants someone more like Halle in the looks dept to play her. ReRe may not be feeling anyone else - besides it may not got made - because RERE is very private - and so the film will have no Hollywood type stuff in it - no drunk, drugged out star - gone bad - just RERE being The Queen of Soul,

And she would be mine - for a number of reasons - Now I do not know - but I think RERE wants someone more like Halle in the looks dept to play her. ReRe may not be feeling anyone else - besides it may not got made - because RERE is very private - and so the film will have no Hollywood type stuff in it - no drunk, drugged out star - gone bad - just RERE being The Queen of Soul,
    Oh it can have a lot of compelling and controversial scenes in it beginning with her childhood and her mother separating from the family. Her "crush" on Sam Cooke. Her becoming a teenaged mom, TED WHITE, her involvement in the Civil Rights movement, her father's influence and his long term health condition, the Grammies, all the gospel great that were apart of her childhood years on the road with her Dad, etc,etc, etc

topdiva1 Guest
    Oh it can have a lot of compelling and controversial scenes in it beginning with her childhood and her mother separating from the family. Her "crush" on Sam Cooke. Her becoming a teenaged mom, TED WHITE, her involvement in the Civil Rights movement, her father's influence and his long term health condition, the Grammies, all the gospel great that were apart of her childhood years on the road with her Dad, etc,etc, etc
    Now that already sounds like a great movie - but how much will the Queen demand be whitewashed.

^ Aretha don't want NONE of those scenes in the film, the most dramatic stories she had will not be in the film so who knows?

Quote Originally Posted by skooldem1 View Post
    *nodding in approval* Going back to her very early years in Columbia... when she finally became successful, she went for the "natural" look which fit her too. She glammed it back up in the mid-to-late 1970s.

Now that already sounds like a great movie - but how much will the Queen demand be whitewashed.
    The part, the circumstances of her mom leaving. The part of whether or not she and Sam Cooke did the nasty and possibly Cecils' situation.

Quote Originally Posted by midnightman View Post
    ^ Aretha don't want NONE of those scenes in the film, the most dramatic stories she had will not be in the film so who knows?
    I think you may be right and she has had a ton of them!

MissLish Guest

Natalie Cole; Gladys Knight..

One of the great things about being in control of your life, you can decide what gets out and what doesn't.

Fans may not always like what Ree doesn't tell [[all) but it's Ree's business to tell or not and I applaud her for keeping some of it a mystery. In the end, it's really no ones business but her own. She's brought her talent to the table and dazzled us all, if that's not enough, I'm sure this Aries doesn't have to tell another Aries how to handle it.

smark21 Guest
    So is there a project in the works, like the one on Flo Ballard, or is this thread all just speculative debate?

It's more important to get someone who can act. The actress can always lipsynch to the real Aretha recordings if she's not able to sing.

Another factor to consider: What part of Aretha's life would the story focus on? If it's focussed on Aretha Franklin in her teens and 20's then both Halle Berry and Queen Latifah would be on the outs. They're both well over 40 now and may not pull off playing a woman 20 years younger.

Hudson might be a good choice. And she's slimmed down quite considerably in the past year if Aretha wants to be portrayed as thin.

smark21 it takes forever to get a project green lighted in Hollyweird. I'm sure the rights have already been purchased and this Halle Berry, who will play Ree thing may be simply a PR ploy to either see how much interest is out there, if there is any interest and who the public would like to see in the role.

It could also help the powers to be figure out whether it is a made for TV/cable flic or big screen project, who knows?

Speaking of Flo, wasn't there some talk about Faith Evans playing Flo Ballard?