[REMOVE ADS]

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Mystery OF Supremes Vancouver Recording Session Finally Solved

Some years back, I posted a comment about Diana Ross & the Supremes having been credited with being the FIRST group to have recorded at the now defunct Mushroom Recording Studio in Vancouver, Canada. Such huge hits as "Dreamboat Annie" by Heart have been created here. When the studio was torn down due to the value of the real estate it was located on, a local reporter uncovered that before the heating system was in place, The Supremes who were performing a week engagement at the "Cave" were instructed to go the The studio to record over a track.

Evidently all the studio equipment was ready to go. No doubt the women wore their mink coats to the session to keep warm. Nobody seemed to recall what vocals were put down that fateful day. By fluke Rob Frith, the owner of the long standing Neptoon Records shop responded to my comment of a signed Supremes photo given to the owner of the Cave. I mentioned the Mushroom story and Rob was very kind to share the following:

"It was still called Aragon at the time and was owed by Al Reusch. [[He built the place ) He told me that The Supremes were guesting in one episode of the tv show Tarzan. They played Nuns and did a song in the show. I think something happened to, or something had to be changed in the recording in the show so they had to re record it while they were here in Vancouver.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eQscfb18kro

Plus there is also this clip from the Tarzan show:

https://youtu.be/MjxuEEyXSrI

Now the mystery of this urban myth has been solved, and I've just informed Andy Skurow.
    Name:  Supremes In Vancouver #5.jpg
Views: 911
Size:  47.8 KB
    Last edited by Mark Desjardines; 04-20-2017 at 12:58 AM.