[REMOVE ADS]

Stevie Wonder 1972

In light of da uda fred on Stevie's 70's albums, thought I'd post this up. Been doing some delving into Stevie's work in 1972.
    He kicked his main live work off with a tour of the UK but unfortunately, I can't seem to find details on which cities / venues he played. He had recruited a new set of singers / musicians for that tour & had christened them Wonderlove. They included big time guys such as Jim Gilstrap and David Sandborn. The UK tour kicked off in late January and entailed the ensemble playing 14 UK cities over a 21 day period. Back in the US, he did TV and then a show in Canada before starting a US tour in NY at the beginning of March.
    Then, to widen his fan base, he signed up for a 50 date US tour as support act to the Rolling Stones which kicked off in early June. This tour ended up with big gigs @ Madison Sq Gardens NY but Stevie wasn't too happy with the way things had gone.
    On many dates, he wasn't even advertised as playing and so his contribution was missed by many rock fans who didn't turn up at the advertised gig start time.
    Anyway, he need'nt have worried as his new records sold really well anyway and they did cross over to get pop / rock radio plays.
    2/ 3 of the live Stones tour shows were recorded but a planned live joint album with his & the Stones tracks being featured never materialised.
    Talking Book came out in November so the tracks were obviously cut that summer. Innervisions escaped in June 73, so I guess he must have been writing songs that were used on the LP late in 72 . . .
    He played the Newport Jazz Fest [[West) around July 73 & was then badly injured in a car crash down south. His injuries required him to spend some time in hospital & then further time taking things easy.

. . QUESTIONS . .
    I'd like to know who the members of Wonderlove were that year as the group's line-up was evolving & always changing ? . . . Jim Gilstrap has already confirmed that he quit Wonderlove on returning from the UK as Lani Groves [[also a singer in the group) dumped him on their return to NY. Others say Shirley Brewer was in the group at that time.
    Which UK cities did he play ?
    I guess his UK shows still included lots of his 60's hits as these were by far his most popular tracks with UK audiences at the time.
    Did he get to do radio stn visits during the US tour with the Stones ?
    Did his Stones tour shows still include his old 60's hits or was he just showcasing his new sound ?
    Anyone know if those Stones tour shows ever appeared on bootleg releases ?
    ANY other interesting facts surrounding his work that year ...

Attachment 12776
    Attachment 12775
    Last edited by jsmith; 04-06-2017 at 02:55 PM.

The likes of Denice Williams, Gloria Barley, Debra Wilson & Loris Haven are listed along with Jim Gilstrap, Lani Groves & Shirley Brewer as backing singers on TALKING BOOK, so I guess it's safe to say that they toured some as members of Wonderlove that year.