[REMOVE ADS]

Sad News,Brenda Jones of The Jones Girls,has passed.

Very sad News,Brenda Jones of The Jones Girls has passed,her sister Shirley Jones, gave the Sad News on her Facebook page today,my heart goes out to The Jones Family. R.I.P Brenda Jones.

Wow!

Only Shirley Jones is alive now, 1/3 of this fantastic vocal group...
    I don't know the ones where Brenda sang lead but the harmonies by the three sisters were amazing and "Nights Over Egypt" is an ANTHEM.

R.I.P. Brenda and also Valerie and true condolences to their entire family...

I am beyond sad. Another loss to the Philadelphia music family. Brenda and Valorie can now spend Nights Over Egypt together in Heaven.

The news that I got indicated that she was hit by a car, which makes it even more tragic, since it tells us that she left before her time.

The harmonies these girls could produce were amazing. Other groups might have produced more danceable or more soulful music, but when it came to harmonizing, the Jones Girls and the Three Degrees were tops in my book.

I saw that Tom Moulton posted that she had passed. Very sad.

Thank you for the music Brenda

This is terrible news. God rest her soul. My prayers go out to Shirley and the family.

Quote Originally Posted by manny View Post
    Wow!

Only Shirley Jones is alive now, 1/3 of this fantastic vocal group...
    I don't know the ones where Brenda sang lead but the harmonies by the three sisters were amazing and "Nights Over Egypt" is an ANTHEM.

R.I.P. Brenda and also Valerie and true condolences to their entire family...
    On the first album Brenda & Valerie sing the lead on the opening cut "This Feeling Killing Me" other cuts that Brenda sing lead are I Close My Eyes, I Can Make A Difference, When I'm Gone, Let's Be Friends First, and several other co-leads. Brenda had a very wide vocal range where she would sing the low notes and then the very top soprano. Hope this helps Manny.
    R.I.Paradise Brenda Jones.

Many thanks for your good explainations, Rod_rick. I only can recognize when is Shirley on lead [[In fact, I got her LP "Always In The Mood" and I'm in love with "She Knew About Me" from the first time I hear it!). As for the three sisters, much before I hear their PIR and Invictus or Curtom stuff, I also was immediately in love with their chorus on Curtis Mayfield's "Never Say You Can't Survive" and "Do It All Night" albums.
    Cheers to a ll.

Darn, I was just looking at their videos the other day hoping to find a live performance from when they were at their peak and found this music video:

Quote Originally Posted by JimBagley View Post
    I am beyond sad. Another loss to the Philadelphia music family. Brenda and Valorie can now spend Nights Over Egypt together in Heaven.
    They were from Detroit. They use to back up Diana Ross on tour back in the mid 70s before being signed to Philly International. I remember the first time I saw them on TV once they left Diane. They appeared on "Dance Fever" performing their hit, "You're Gonna Make Me Love Somebody Else" and they were exquisite! They had great harmonies and made some outstanding recordings. Rest in peace Brenda. Thank you and Valerie for some awesome music. Peace

Marv
    Last edited by marv2; 04-04-2017 at 09:35 PM.

RIP Brenda Jones. You and your sisters were a class act.

David Lasley and The Jones Girls record released under the name of David's first group The Utopias on Fortune Records in 1966. Brenda was around 8 years old at the time.

So tragic. Along with The Emotions, the Jones Girls provided some of the best female harmonies ever.

Yes, indeed, glencro. You just can't beat the vocal blending of siblings, IMO...especially if their voices are as heavenly as The Joneses, The Hutchinsons or The Sledges.

Quote Originally Posted by sansradio View Post
    Yes, indeed, glencro. You just can't beat the vocal blending of siblings, IMO...especially if their voices are as heavenly as The Joneses, The Hutchinsons or The Sledges.
    add the Pointers to that list.

How sad. what vocals the Jones Girls came up with, some great Philly tunes.

Thank You Valerie may you Rest in Peace! xx

How could I forget The Pointers? Absolutely right, marv2.

I am so surprised that many of you know the individual names of group members who were part of groups who had marginal popularity. I would not be able to name individual members of most groups who had only one or two "hits."

Well it helps when they use their names in some of their hit songs. Such as "How can Mary tell me what to do" and "Flo, she don't know."

Or in this case "Now what do you want Brenda?" and "Look Shirley, we're not trying to get in your business."

Quote Originally Posted by Circa 1824 View Post
    I am so surprised that many of you know the individual names of group members who were part of groups who had marginal popularity. I would not be able to name individual members of most groups who had only one or two "hits."
    I've never based my musical taste or favorites on "hits". These ladies were among the best and could've easily sang a lot of more popular groups under a table.

Quote Originally Posted by sansradio View Post
    something about sibling harmonies. Also have to add Clark Sisters to that list.

No doubt, glencro.

God, I am so very sorry to hear this. I love The Jones Girls. Thanks to records like "Get As Much Love As You Can", "Let's Be Friends First [[Then Lovers)", "Dance Turned Into Romance", "Life Goes On", "You're Breaking My Heart" and "The World Will Sing Our Song", Philly Soul will never be the same. Sing it real pretty up there, Brenda.

WOW you learn something new everyday..
    Never new they sung this first
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=vPa-5PPjYNI
    the remake is just abt the same

Quote Originally Posted by abfan View Post
    WOW you learn something new everyday..
    Never new they sung this first
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=vPa-5PPjYNI
    the remake is just abt the same
    This is a classic by them but I must say vocally Xscape couldn't hold a stick to the Jones Girls

Rare track with Isaac Hayes featuring The Jones Girls with Brenda Jones on lead

https://www.mixcloud.com/garyspence7...-of-the-jones/

Features an exclusive unreleased Philly track

Quote Originally Posted by theboyfromxtown View Post
    https://www.mixcloud.com/garyspence7...-of-the-jones/

Features an exclusive unreleased Philly track
    Thank you for posting. That was a great heart felt tribute coming from someone that knew her. The added bonus was hearing unreleased Jones Girls tracks and solo work by Brenda. She was a great vocalist. So sad to hear that she was once homeless and that she and Shirley were at one time not speaking. I always wondered why she and Shirley were not singing together because Shirley's recent version of "The Jones Girls" was not up to par.