[REMOVE ADS]

The supremes chart trivia question

I've been going over the Billboard and Cash Box charts gauging Supremes singles for a project and noticed some interesting details.

After the wild success of Where Did Our Love Go, each subsequent Supremes single would debut high on the Billboard charts. Back in the 1960s, a record company wanted its records in the Top 40 to get the preferred airplay in the medium and larger markets.

Usually a Supremes single, in the 1960s, wound up in the Top 40 no more than three weeks after its debut; most wound up in the Top 40 in its second week on the charts and one song, I Hear A Symphony, debuted in the Top 40.

My trivia challenge is, can anyone name the first Supremes single to take more than three weeks to enter the Billboard Pop Top 40?

"The Composer" ?

From 'Where Did Our Love Go' the first single to take more than 3 weeks to enter the Top 40 was the underrated 'Forever Came Today' which took 4 weeks.

As I recall the Composer started very big and then quickly stalled.

Quote Originally Posted by luke View Post
    As I recall the Composer started very big and then quickly stalled.
    Interesting trivia!

I can understand the financial department at Motown needing to be aware of the units shipped, sold or returned of each release, for their own accounting purposes, even if not all of that information was then submitted for certification.

I've also often wondered if anyone at Motown had the time to actually informally note, as did the fans, the positions of the Company's releases on various US and world charts, when the information was made available each week.

If indeed they did, those notes would make for interesting reading.

While we can obtain some of the information from the internet, does anyone know if there is a current reference which contains US chart history [[date in, highest position, weeks on chart, date out) which lists only releases on the Motown labels?