[REMOVE ADS]

Motown Remembers Marvin Gaye

They may remember but I don't - hence this question.
    It looks to me [[and correct me if I'm wrong) that in 1986 and after Marvin's death Motown released this tribute containing a batch of hitherto unreleased tracks.
    The LP jacket states that additional overdubs have been added to several tracks [[now although it doesn't actually say this in so many words) I assume they were modern overdubs added that year, obviously vocal overdubs by then current artists Monalisa Young and Oma Drake were bolted on to older recordings.
    My question is which if any of these have been released [[and where) in their actual original form? No messing about straight from the master tapes since.

Quote Originally Posted by paul_nixon View Post
    They may remember but I don't - hence this question.
    It looks to me [[and correct me if I'm wrong) that in 1986 and after Marvin's death Motown released this tribute containing a batch of hitherto unreleased tracks.
    The LP jacket states that additional overdubs have been added to several tracks [[now although it doesn't actually say this in so many words) I assume they were modern overdubs added that year, obviously vocal overdubs by then current artists Monalisa Young and Oma Drake were bolted on to older recordings.
    My question is which if any of these have been released [[and where) in their actual original form? No messing about straight from the master tapes since.
    "Lonely Lover", was released in it's original mix on The Master box set from 1995. And "The World Is Rated X" was released in it's original session version [[with different mixes) on Anthology in 1995 and the deluxe edition on Let's Get It On from 2001.

Paul,

I do believe that all tracks [[but maybe only one) have been released on its original form on cd some time or another.

I don't have the album handy at the moment as I'm in a train, but from memory some tracks are on :

THE MASTER boxset [["Just Like A Man", "Lonely Lover", "I'm Going Home")

THE BEST OF... ANTHOLOGY SERIES [["World is rated X")

Kim Weston GREATEST HITS AND RARE CLASSICS [["Baby Don't You Leave Me")

LOVE STARVED HEART "LOST AND FOUND" [[expanded) [["I'm in love with you", "Baby I'm Glad that things Worked Out So Well", "Dark Side Of The World")

I can try and find, and then post here, the complete list a bit later today if you wish

"No Greater Love" wasn't released in its original form I think

JB

"Loving and Affection" is on LOVE STARVED HEART [[Expanded)

I must be forgetting a track or two but I can't remember which ones...

JB

"I Gotta have your Loving" is another one I'm not sure was released undubbed...

Same for "That's the way it goes". That would make 3 tracks unavailable elsewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by jbpintus View Post
    Same for "That's the way it goes". That would make 3 tracks unavailable elsewhere.
    And Dark Side Of The World?

Quote Originally Posted by paul_nixon View Post
    And Dark Side Of The World?
    That appears on his Lost and Found set from 1999.

I see the list is complete.
    For the record, a few of the MRMG remixed lp first appeared on the A MUSICAL TESTAMENT cd - albeit the bloody 1986 remixed versions.

I can imagine a MG which would present us the 'unmixed' MOTOWN REMEMBERS MARVIN GAYE with, as bonus tracks, some of the Columbia tracks that were remixed too for inclusion on DREAM OF OUR LIFETIME. I believe a few of them were licensed by Motown when they appeared on the Columbia posthumous album.
    Again, some of those unmixed tracks have appeared on recent MOTOWN expanded MG albums.
    "Symphony" [[written with Smokey) and "Get Down" are particularly good songs.

And, I know I'm going OT here but... I'd really like to hear the untouched "Sanctified Pussy". Nowadays it shouldn't be THAT shocking, uh?

JB