[REMOVE ADS]

Help with a semi-forgotten musical style, please......

Anyone remember Bossa Nova? I'm looking for the name of an American guitar player from the early/mid 60's who made a name for himself as a Bossa Nova style guitar player. Can't think of his name for the life of me, but I believe he recorded on Riverside, and his playing [[in my memory) reminds me a bit of Bole Sete.

Thanks in advance.....

Notable Bossa Nova Players -

Chico Buarque
    Gal Costa
    Gilberto Gil
    Astrud Gilberto
    Bebel Gilberto
    Joao Gilberto
    Antonio Carlos Jobim
    Edu Lobo
    Nava Leao
    Carlos Lyra
    Maysa Matarazzo
    Roberto Menescal
    Vinicius de Moraes
    Paula Morelenbaum
    Hermeto Pascoal
    Rosa Passos
    Quarteto Em Cy
    Elza Soares
    Baden Powell de Aquino
    Sylvia Telles
    Marcos Valle

Saw that list, too and he's not on it. A little research [[and a call to my mother in law) came up with the name.

Charlie Byrd.

He recorded the lp "Jazz Samba" with Stan Getx in 1962, helping kick off the bossa nova craze in the U.S.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bSZAuCqN3_M

Stupid things tend to kick in my brain. I was watching an episode of "It Takes A Thief" and Walter Wanderly's "Summer Samba" was playing in the backround. So it'll be bossa nova music around the house for the next couple of days.....

I just picked up the Getz/Byrd LP not too long ago at a garage sale...guess I should listen to it now...LOL!!

Best,

Mark

In a way I was a little suprised that Brazilian style music didn't make a bit of a comeback when "Smooth Jazz" came into vogue. It might have added a little legitimity [[sp.?) to the genre.....

Quote Originally Posted by doug-morgan View Post
    saw that list, too and he's not on it. A little research [[and a call to my mother in law) came up with the name.

Charlie byrd.

He recorded the lp "jazz samba" with stan getx in 1962, helping kick off the bossa nova craze in the u.s.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bszaucqn3_m

stupid things tend to kick in my brain. I was watching an episode of "it takes a thief" and walter wanderly's "summer samba" was playing in the backround. So it'll be bossa nova music around the house for the next couple of days.....
    hey doug,nothing stupid about liking the bossa nova,heck i think i may have some in my collection it's a cool sound and i'm a charlie byrd fan too.

Agreed. The genre is not stupid, it's being kicked back into it by a song played on a 40 year old TV series that was weird.

The only thing I know about this is Edie Gorme.

The Frank Sinatra/ Antonio Carlos Jobim album from 1967 is exceptional.

Stephanie.....
    .....the problem with my little music blog is I write for poeple who don't know anything about certain segments of the musical universe from my position of not knowing a heck of alot about certain segments of the musical universe myself. Maybe this will help, though.....

http://www.wenatcheeworld.com/weblog...he-bossa-nova/

Gary, you're right about the Frank Sinatra lp. I had forgotten about it.

smark21 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by gary_james View Post
    The Frank Sinatra/ Antonio Carlos Jobim album from 1967 is exceptional.
    ONe of the best albums Sinatra ever recorded. Here's a performance he did with Jobin on one of his 60's TV specials Sinatra + Ella + Jobim.