[REMOVE ADS]

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by daviddh View Post
    wonder if there was any thought to do a new mix on Baby I Need Your Lovin.
    am I the only one who likes IN MY Lonely Room,kinda got the wall of sound working for it.
    These Boots ,I was never fond of but now it sparks. great mix.
    What The World Needs,...got what it needed with Kevin Reeves new mix. so nice.
    Hes All I Got. could been a single.
    with these new mixes I actually like A GO GO. you all converted me. I am a believer.
    thank you all again.
    Wow, I can't wait to hear what they did with Boots. I was always thought that was an uninspired, insipid arrangement.

am I the only one who likes IN MY Lonely Room,kinda got the wall of sound working for it.
    It's okay. I definitely prefer Martha and the Vandellas' version, which I love, and to me this one pales in comparison. I do think that it has a Wall of Sound thing going, but all the versions I've heard it seems the vocals [[both lead and background) aren't loud enough for my taste.

No, David, you’re not the only one who loves "In My Lonely Room". I love it, too. It will never replace Martha’s version, but, to me, it’s equally as good. When I wrote my first "Supremes A’ Go-Go" review [[under an existing thread titled, "It's Here, It's Glorious, I'm Speechless", I was so excited about the amazing sound quality and the energy level on CD 2, I had temporarily forgotten about the Bonus tracks tucked in at the end of CD 1. I’ve since corrected that in my follow-up review. Here’s what I said:

"In my above review, I forgot to mention that The "Supremes A' Go-Go" is one of the best Expanded issues that Motown has ever released. Every Bonus track has a higher-than-usual energy about it that keeps the pacing at an exciting level. It's almost as if the tracks were remixed [[although I'm sure they weren't). I also forgot to mention that The Supremes' version of Martha's "In My Lonely Room" sounds better than ever. I don't remember it ever sounding this good! I'm surprised that Motown didn't release it as a single. In closing, the two booklets make the set a treasure that every Motown fan should have in his/her prized Motown collection."
    Last edited by Philles/Motown Gary; 04-30-2017 at 04:22 PM.

I have held off downloading this set. I was holding out for a physical copy since it's been so long since we've gotten one...and I've found a local store with a copy in stock! Heading over within the hour. Watch this space!

Hey George... any possibility of A Go Go on [pink] vinyl? UMe seems to like it a lot these days.
    Last edited by thanxal; 04-30-2017 at 05:49 PM. Reason: pink vinyl...oooooh.

Quote Originally Posted by sansradio View Post
    I have held off downloading this set. I was holding out for a physical copy since it's been so long since we've gotten one...and I've found a local store with a copy in stock! Heading over within the hour. Watch this space!
    I got mine yesterday at a local record store. I was so excited.

Quote Originally Posted by vgalindo View Post
    I got mine yesterday at a local record store. I was so excited.
    I am now another proud owner of a physical copy!!! I am beside myself with excitement about the packaging, the photos, the musical content...just everything. Can't wait to immerse myself! Yippee!!! A hearty thanks to George, Andy, Kevin and all our friends at Universal for this true labor of love.

Quote Originally Posted by George Solomon View Post
    Wow, Luke, it would be great to do a single release of "Itching". I wonder if Universal would have any interest? I wish someone would use it in a movie.
    I forgot to mention the stereo unedited mix of "You Can't Hurry Love" that is on the reel to reel master of A Go-Go. I wish we had used it in place of the stereo mix on the album since the edited mix has been out there so much. We planned on doing a brand new YCHL but ran out of space and time ... and heaven forbid we should delay the project any further! Plus, there was a new mix on the #1's and an alternate vocal mix on Lost & Found. We also found an alternate mono single mix that included the edited piece but it fades much sooner than the version we know. I think they made the right choice making the edit.
    George and Andy...
    As far doing a brand new mix of YCHL and running out of time and space on A GO Go, I'm not surprised in the least. With all the outtakes and everything they recorded around this time, there was just so much to fit in on this one. Maybe doing a remix of YCHL could be in the cards for a latter expanded edition. Have been thinking that there are only 2 studio hits albums that will have different mono and stereo mixes [[H/D/H and Reflections). After that the last studio albums [[Love Child, Let The Sunshine In and Cream of The Crop) are all just stereo, so if you are still doing 2 disc sets for those, there might be room there for some other remixes. Plus when getting to Love Child era and later, there isn't much left in live recordings either. So have wondered if those expanded editions would be 2 discs or just 1 disc each. Since those albums didn't fare as well, maybe some remixes of something like YCHL would help boost the sales of those. Just an idea to consider.

a limited edition pink vinyl release would be well timed! I was proud to see the "first #1 album by a girl group"as the first thing in the promo video; that is one of the facts that I brought to the table..the other fact, which went unused, was that A Go Go was the first album to go to #1 on Billboard's mainstream 200 albums chart on the Motown label; the first Motown Corp. album to go to #1 on the mainstream chart was by Stevie Wonder on Tamla, "Fingertips" era, but Go Go was the first national pop #1 album on the Motown LABEL imprint...
    Last edited by Jimi LaLumia; 05-01-2017 at 05:12 AM.

O.k...o.k..i give in...ive had no choice but to give in to temptation and listen to the tracks posted on youtube as us folks here in the U.K have to wait a bit longer...O...M..G..where did those strings and everything else come from...this album was one of my least favourite by The Supremes but listening to the tracks posted im absolutely gobsmacked...its like im listening to a completely diff album...you guys Andy,George &Keith etc have certainly surpassed yourselves with this one ...if we never get another expanded edition in our lives we sure got the best from you guys..im just totally blown away.

"As we said in the liner notes, it's no secret that Florence missed recording sessions. We listed some of the tracks that are Mary and Marlene and it's obvious that "What Becomes Of The Broken Hearted" is Mary and Diana. Some are Mary and Marlene with additional Andantes added but Mary recorded all of the tracks on this set except the few that contain no back up vocals. The background vocals are a touchy subject and sometimes it's best to say less."

George, we all know that for all intents and purposes, Diana Ross was the act. We also all know that different backup singers were used throughout the Supremes years. Thus, it is NOT a big leap to document who sang backup on each of the songs. If a certain fan does not like the truth, and I cannot imagine why they wouldn't, at least the truth was historically documented.

I was hoping Diana or Berry would have done this in their autobiographies. They did not, and it is now the world needs historians to set the record straight.

I've been pretty disappointed with Amazon with this process so far. It has said preparing to ship for almost a week now. I broke down and just listened to a lot of the tracks on YouTube. Can't wait for Sing Hdh which I love and like even more than a go go. How about a fully unedited mix of You Keep Me Hanging including Flo's [[and Mary's) awesome backing vocals reinserted during the first verse?

Diana or Berry didn't have to clarify anything...The Supremes as an enity was DMF and Diana Ross & The Supremes was DMC..period! who was or wasn't on what record does not change who and what THE GROUP was at any given time.. "Michelle" and "Yesterday" was just Paul McCartney but the record went out as The Beatles..the top ten "Ballad Of john And Yoko" was just John and Paul in the studio but the record went out as The Beatles.. the hit B side "Old Brown Shoe" was just George Harrison but the record went out as The Beatles...the list goes on , and applies to other groups as well, but studio is studio and the existing group that actually performs for the public is just that; THE GROUP! everyone needs to get a grip on the realities of the music business, then, now and forever..

it always makes me laugh. I saw Fleetwood mac about 4 years ago and Christine mcvie did not do the tour ,for whatever reason. none said anything. no biggie.
    but when it happens with the supremes ,it is headlines.
    how many temptations has there been?
    how many 4 seasons has franki valli sang with.
    now I get it. I love the group myself but it is old news.

FYI. the supremes #1s is at #25 on ITunes while DR All The Great Hits drops to #173. NO A GO Go yet.darn

Quote Originally Posted by Jimi LaLumia View Post
    everyone needs to get a grip on the realities of the music business, then, now and forever..
    Good luck with that. And anyway, what would they do with all their misdirected anger???

Quote Originally Posted by thanxal View Post
    Good luck with that. And anyway, what would they do with all their misdirected anger???
    Bring up more crap in other non-related threads, just as they always do. Unfortunately.

Quote Originally Posted by DJMoch View Post
    Bring up more crap in other non-related threads, just as they always do. Unfortunately.
    I saw that. Pathetic.

It makes me wonder why I should even bother sharing anything, at least Supremes-related. I know I shouldn't give in to such childishness, but I can't help feeling disheartened when I see things unnecessarily go down the plughole for no real reason at all.

It makes me wonder why I should even bother sharing anything, at least Supremes-related. I know I shouldn't give in to such childishness, but I can't help feeling disheartened when I see things unnecessarily go down the plughole for no real reason at all.
    Your mixes are great. Ignore the imbeciles.

My copy arrived today and no time was wasted! I played both discs in their full entirety and read both booklets and pored over all of the photos and detailed information as well! [[It would be silly not to immediately do so, considering how much we've complained about how long it was taking to come out!) It was worth the wait though, I'm so grateful it got to come out as a full tactile physical release on CD! And they didn't spare any expense in the packaging either, it matches the same quality as the previous deluxe expanded editions! I'm probably using too many "!'s" in this post--Haha!

There are so many fun alternate versions too. "Just A Little Misunderstanding" was the one Supremes song that I thought had the worst mastering previously [[the first released version from 25th Anniversary sounded like someone recorded it off of an old demagnatized Betamax video cassette!) I was waiting for a clearer version to come out, and now we finally have it--also with a fun cold ending [[those new extended/cold endings are always part of the fun of all of the Motown expanded editions!) And I also love the studio banter. It's always funny when a song goes on long and they're like "Okay, shouldn't this song be over by now?"--Haha!

Oh, yeah the only thing missing is an alternate "You Can't Hurry Love." Thanks George Solomon for mentioning the reason there wasn't one. That would've been cool having the unedited version in place of the edited version on the stereo album, but then you know people would complain it wasn't the original album configuration. I was imagining finally getting a new extended stereo version with the bass dropping out like it does in the beginning of the mono version--I'm sure you guys can find an excuse to include that on a future release...
    Last edited by Buttered Popcorn and so forth; 05-01-2017 at 11:21 PM.

Does anyone have any information about the digital booklet that comes with the digital version of this release? Does it have the reproduction of the tour program as well, or just the liner notes?

Quote Originally Posted by Brian W. View Post
    Does anyone have any information about the digital booklet that comes with the digital version of this release? Does it have the reproduction of the tour program as well, or just the liner notes?
    It has both!

Hi
    Don't feed the trolls literally or even metaphorically - starving them from attention and even mental energy is the only thing that works...keep sharing your interests!

I can't get enough of this set. I first purchased A Go Go in 1993 and it was instantly one of my favorite Supremes' albums. As the years wore on and my Supremes/Motown album collection grew, A Go Go moved way down the ladder. I have found in recent years that I didn't appreciate the album the way I did when I first got it. The new release has rejuvenated my love for it. I'm not even about to begin to demand an HDH expanded so soon, but after listening to this it's going to be hard to keep my patience in check in the hopes that HDH comes sooner rather than later. A Go Go Expanded is the best overall original Supremes expanded edition in terms of what the producers were able to do with it. I can't imagine that Sing HDH Expanded won't be as good or better.

The Supremes Coke jingle "It's the Little Things" always sounded like it was recorded during the A Go Go timeline. Is that correct? And if so, I wonder why it wasn't included like the Coke jingles on More Hits.

I'm thinking it was more from the Reflections era. The one line "it's the little things that make difference" sounds pretty similar to the chorus of Reflections. But I really don't know.

I'm thinking it was more from the Reflections era. The one line "it's the little things that make difference" sounds pretty similar to the chorus of Reflections. But I really don't know.
    When I first read your comparison to the chorus of "Reflections" I was like "what?". Lol But I played it and you're right. I can hear the similarity in the two. Maybe it was 1967.

Quote Originally Posted by RanRan79 View Post
    When I first read your comparison to the chorus of "Reflections" I was like "what?". Lol But I played it and you're right. I can hear the similarity in the two. Maybe it was 1967.
    No it was 65

Quote Originally Posted by ejluther View Post
    It has both!
    Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by blackguy69 View Post
    No it was 65
    Ah, okay, the similarities must have just been a coincidence, I suppose. I remember stumbling over these particular Coke ads online a few years back, and had no idea where or when they were made.

For the record, this is the particular ad I was talking about. Listening to it, you can definitely hear the similarity in the melody of the line "It's the little things that make the difference" to the chorus of Reflections. That's why I thought it was from that particular era.

Interesting. So I wonder when it was recorded, during the Symphony sessions maybe?

The backing track definitely screams later than 1965 to my ears. It sounds like the stuff coming out of Motown in at least 1967. But like I said, I have no idea.

Quote Originally Posted by ejluther View Post
    It has both!
    Eesh, I'm disappointed in the quality of the digital booklet. Not hi-rez images... looks like jpegs saved at medium quality, and not especially large images. Kind of wish I would have bought the physical version now.

The backing track definitely screams later than 1965 to my ears. It sounds like the stuff coming out of Motown in at least 1967. But like I said, I have no idea.
    I'm with you DJ, but as I was not around to hear the jingle in it's original airing, I'll have to defer to those who might know better.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian W. View Post
    Eesh, I'm disappointed in the quality of the digital booklet. Not hi-rez images... looks like jpegs saved at medium quality, and not especially large images. Kind of wish I would have bought the physical version now.
    I don't know where you downloaded your copy from, but my digital booklet for this set is EXACTLY the same quality as my physical expanded edition booklets from other sets. That would suck if the digital booklet were less quality. Sorry to hear that yours isn't.

I received my cds from Amazon on Monday, and although I had already listened to many of the songs via iTunes samples and on YouTube, I am just floored as to how good this is.

I had posted prior to the release that I was most looking forward to the mono version of "Baby, I Need Your Lovin'" because I had not heard it since back in the day when I foolishly traded in my mono version of the album for stereo version. On Baby I Need You Lovin'", I always loved the upfront, dry mix and the extra tag lines Diana sang over a sparse bass guitar lick towards the end of the song. There is a very real quality to her voice especially on the low notes much like she is intimately singing this to her lover. Listening again to the mono version of the non-Motown hits, I was reminded of the feeling back in the 60s when I first listened to this album. I recall thinking how most of the songs seemed to sound [[in a good way) so unpolished and that the group probably just got together one night in the studio and just recorded a bunch of hits of the day.

Sonically, it's really something what reverb and stereo spread can to a recording, both good and bad. I, most of the time, prefer stereo over mono, however, I do see the importance and even understand the reason for the mono releases with the compression to give each song that extra punch.

Just as I was typing this response, I just noticed something included that I had not seen before. A second booklet; the reproduction of the mid 60s program, "A Night with the Supremes." That is probably the only program that I actually already had in my collection. I recall, back in the day, I wasn't afforded the opportunity to actually see the Supremes when they were in Raleigh, NC, however, a friend of mine who went gave me the program. I always loved the cover picture.

Although the songs imported fine into my iTunes along with the titles, the same is not true for when I loaded the CDs into my car's HDD. No titles were available. That's just a minor concern to me although I found it strange that I had just loaded my own personal cd project and the titles displayed fine.

Thank you, thank you, thank you to all of the many people responsible for putting this together. Yes, I did read your names from the booklet, however, there are too many to list here. Special thanks to Andrew, George, and Harry!!!

For the record, this is the particular ad I was talking about. Listening to it, you can definitely hear the similarity in the melody of the line "It's the little things that make the difference" to the chorus of Reflections. That's why I thought it was from that particular era.
    I thought I had replied to this about an hour ago,however, I don't see it. Briefly, I recall this being from either late 1965 or early 1966 well before Reflections. It was always a catchy song, both musically and lyrically. HDH production maybe?

Too bad they didn't use some of this coke jingle to turn it into a real song. Could have been good.

First and foremost,hello to all Soulful Detroit members.I haven't been here in about ten years, but it feels great to return.
    I would like to say that I really enjoyed this wonderful reissue of "A Go-Go" and learning various facts about what was committed to tape.I particularly got a kick out of the "Scratch it"mix of "Love Is Like An Itching In My Heart" because I got a chance to hear the take that was the personal favorite of Harold Keith Taylor.He apparently recorded the version that was considered too high for Diana to sing and that was the one that he considered to have the best energy.I'm glad Harry,Andrew,and George decided to use them for the fans because they almost didn't. Overall I am satisfied and I patiently wait for the deluxe treatment of "Sings Holland Dozier Holland".

My order for this CD from Amazon.com has been "preparing for dispatch" since release date! Very annoying!

For us Europeans:
    19.99 at Amazon.De

Amazon UK e mailed today saying out of stock has anyone in the UK received their physical copy yet ??

http://www.importcds.com/the-supreme...n/602557486704

I ordered mine [[US) from importcds. I've used importcd for years and have always been pleased. Good prices!

I ordered from importcds as well. I am also a long time customer of importcds, they almost always have the best price and ship promptly. My copy of "A' Go-Go" arrived yesterday. I listened to it all night long [[all night), and in a word: Magnificent!

Head to toe, you guys knocked this one way, way, way out of the park! Thank you Kevin, Andy, George and Harry! More than worth the wait.

Thank you Lakeside and Sophisticated Soul for the link. Just placed order it works out cheaper than Amazon UK .

Quote Originally Posted by dickiemint View Post
    Thank you Lakeside and Sophisticated Soul for the link.

Just placed order it works out cheaper than Amazon UK .
    This second placed an order for £21.18 UK inc delivery.

Order Summary

Item[[s) Subtotal:
    £19.92

Postage & Packing:
    £1.26

Total:
    £21.18

Grand Total:
    £21.18

Slightly concerned as there seem to be two expanded editions on sale on Amazon, a prior edition as well as the new release.... we shall see what arrives...

Mike, there is a "Collector's Edition" also listed on Amazon, which is a single disc reissue of the album, released last year by the same company that released Ross '78. The name of the company escapes me at the moment. Make sure you check the item details of the CD you ordered because it could be the wrong one. You'll want to order the Expanded Edition, which is listed as two discs.

got mine yesterday, the packaging is top notch, one of the best I've seen in all these years. they went above and beyond [[imo).
    very impressive. 'thanks to the team for brining this to us. I am hoping it does well just for them alone as reward. not sure how many copies it has to sell to be considered a success but I am hoping it hits #1 again.