[REMOVE ADS]

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by floyjoy678 View Post
    Also is that Flo taking the lead on the early version of Love Is Like An Itchin'-the high parts after the first verse? It's one of those moments where she sounds like Diana or Diana sounds like Flo.
    I’d say that’s Florence. So great hearing these alternate versions!

The isolated backgrounds on what becomes of a broken hearted were quite revealing. Just Mary and Diana. I wonder what was going on with Florence during this period. I will say the songs with backgrounds by Mary and Diana/Marlene or the Andantes are missing that ingredient that is Florence.
    Where is this? I know it exists on a release but I've looked and can't find it.

Quote Originally Posted by mowest View Post
    I’d say that’s Florence. So great hearing these alternate versions!
    no its Diana singing in lower key

I've listened to many of the 30 second snippets on Amazon and am delirious with joy over this expanded project. Looking forward to my copy arriving in the mail soon!

Quote Originally Posted by daviddh View Post
    no its Diana singing in lower key
    Agreed, its Diana. But having not heard her sing in that low of a key, for a split second I thought they had found a take with Flo singing lead, aka the magic unicorn of magic unicorns.

Quote Originally Posted by thanxal View Post
    Agreed, its Diana. But having not heard her sing in that low of a key, for a split second I thought they had found a take with Flo singing lead, aka the magic unicorn of magic unicorns.
    Are you referring to “Keeps me sighing, keeps me crying, etc.?”

Are you referring to “Keeps me sighing, keeps me crying, etc.?”
    No that is VERY clearly Florence and Mary. Florence is actually very audible in that. I'm talking about lead on the first verse. That's Diana. Edit: but its in such a low key [[for her at that time) for a split second I though it was Flo.

I'm actually referring to the higher key parts. Didn't sound like Diana to me at first but after I listened to the full song I'm leaning towards it being Diana.

The isolated backgrounds on what becomes of a broken hearted were quite revealing. Just Mary and Diana. I wonder what was going on with Florence during this period. I will say the songs with backgrounds by Mary and Diana/Marlene or the Andantes are missing that ingredient that is Florence.
    I was glad to have this confirmed. I knew a couple of the tracks were rumored to be Mary and Marlene, but for eons I said "Brokenhearted" was Mary and Diana and I think they did a great job, though it would have been better if Florence had joined them.

I love what they did with "Mother Dear". This new version is even better than the one on the box set from 2000. Easily one of my favorite Supremes songs. Love "Heat Wave" and "It's the Same Old Song", the latter of which could have been mixed some more in 1965 and given the girls another hit, if it wasn't already going to be a 4 Tops staple. What a shame that HDH didn't continue to have Diana singing with Mary and Florence in the background as time went on. The only criticism I have about anything on the album is some of the lackluster background vocals by Flo and Mary. Some of it is a bit dull and we know the girls were anything but. I question whether that's the sound the producers were going for. All in all this set was worth the wait and I'm grateful to everyone who had a hand in putting it together.

Quote Originally Posted by RanRan79 View Post
    I love what they did with "Mother Dear". This new version is even better than the one on the box set from 2000. Easily one of my favorite Supremes songs. Love "Heat Wave" and "It's the Same Old Song", the latter of which could have been mixed some more in 1965 and given the girls another hit, if it wasn't already going to be a 4 Tops staple. What a shame that HDH didn't continue to have Diana singing with Mary and Florence in the background as time went on. The only criticism I have about anything on the album is some of the lackluster background vocals by Flo and Mary. Some of it is a bit dull and we know the girls were anything but. I question whether that's the sound the producers were going for. All in all this set was worth the wait and I'm grateful to everyone who had a hand in putting it together.
    I agree on some backing vocals. it sounds as if some are run thrus or demos.....yet on other recordings they sound great . or is this why they used the Andanntees??

I agree on some backing vocals. it sounds as if some are run thrus or demos.....yet on other recordings they sound great . or is this why they used the Andanntees??
    From the very first of their recordings it was obvious that Mary and Florence excelled at background vocals, with or without Diana. The harmonies were excellent. It would have indeed been better to continue having all three in that role. Why some of their background vocals began sounding “lackluster” seems to be a question for the producers. I’ve always thought that Mary and Florence sounded “brighter” and more appealing than the Andantes on Supremes recordings.

I agree. I always thought many of the songs with the Andantes sounded basic. Don't get me wrong it worked for many songs like Love Child. But I much prefer Mary and Flo's distinct vocals.

That's what I thought. It's hard to believe for a moment that HDH intended for Flo and Mary to sound the way that they do on "Can I Get a Witness" after the performance they did on the original. Although I guess in that case one could argue that on the original Diana was singing with them, but I still don't buy that this was going to be the final vocal. "What the World Needs Now" is another one. I like this mix better than what ended up on the Reflections album, for the record. But the reason why I never play the song is because I'm so disappointed by Flo and Mary's performance. I keep waiting for them to let loose and it never happens. And we know they can let loose because this set contains great Flo and Mary performances on "Itching", "Baby I Need Your Loving", "Come and Get These Memories", "Heat Wave", "I Can't Get No Satisfaction", among others.

From the very first of their recordings it was obvious that Mary and Florence excelled at background vocals, with or without Diana. The harmonies were excellent. It would have indeed been better to continue having all three in that role. Why some of their background vocals began sounding “lackluster” seems to be a question for the producers. I’ve always thought that Mary and Florence sounded “brighter” and more appealing than the Andantes on Supremes recordings.
    And that's why I'm a bit disappointed in some of the vocals because Flo and Mary were sooo good. Always have been. The instances I gave to David for just the A Go Go set alone proves the Andantes weren't necessary. Flo, Mary and Diana were capable without anyone else joining in. The Andantes were used at Motown because they were such a formulaic sound, which apparently Gordy was wild about. I love it too...on solo artists records. Flo and Mary had a certain charm and personality when they harmonized. No one else should have been needed.

Another thing I'm disappointed about is that someone years ago told me there was a version of "These Boots" that had background vocals. I was sorry to see that apparently that's not the case. I'm loving the mashup of "Shake Me, Wake Me". I was curious how it would turn out and it's fantastic. I wonder if Gordy ever toyed with the idea of the Tops and the Diana Supremes doing a duet. I'm ticked at myself for having waited this long to get a mono copy of A Go Go, as there are some mono versions of songs that I prefer over the stereo version, most notably "I Can't Help Myself", which I never cared for on the stereo album but I actually dig in mono. Go figure.

I have a question in regards to the duet version of "Shake Me Wake Me [[When It's Over)" by The Supremes and Four Tops.

Is this a version that was sitting in the vaults unreleased until now or was it newly created in the studio especially for this release?

Just heard from my local record shop here in Amsterdam that the European release is planned for last week of may with a planned price of 18 Euros.
    I noticed it is already on Spotify but so far I can only play select songs from the album.

Quote Originally Posted by jack020 View Post
    Just heard from my local record shop here in Amsterdam that the European release is planned for last week of may with a planned price of 18 Euros.
    I noticed it is already on Spotify but so far I can only play select songs from the album.
    According to the website of Concerto, the Dutch release is 19 May and the price Euro 22,99--so in any way, we'll have to wait ;-)
    PS. And thank you for getting that one copy of the vinyl Record Store Day edition of diana just before me ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by LoveSupreme View Post
    I have a question in regards to the duet version of "Shake Me Wake Me [[When It's Over)" by The Supremes and Four Tops.

Is this a version that was sitting in the vaults unreleased until now or was it newly created in the studio especially for this release?
    It was created specifically for this set and the producers did a fantastic job of it.

I love the mixes of LILAIIMH so much I made a ringtone from 2:07 - 2:37 of disc 2, track 24. Its that rocking sax... gets me every time.

He Jaap: Diana vinyl is now 30,63 at Amazon DE with free shipping, worth every euro for its a great pressing.
    Last edited by jack020; 04-27-2017 at 03:02 AM.

I love the mixes of LILAIIMH so much I made a ringtone from 2:07 - 2:37 of disc 2, track 24. Its that rocking sax... gets me every time.
    I'm not a big fan of Itchin but that early version, as raw as it is, is great. I've been playing it like crazy.

On some of the cuts, Florence's voice sounds too raw, too street, for the elegant Supremes' sound. Thus, I prefer the Andantes. [[Mary's voice makes no impact either way.)

Right now on Amazon this CD set is #557 in "CDs & Vinyl." Let's watch it over the next few weeks. I wonder if "Amazon: includes just the American sales data [[vs. inclusion of other countries' sales). Hmmmmm....

This has probably been answered already, but I wonder - is this an open-edition release or has the number of copies been limited?

love A GO GO , also but do we need 5 different threads about it instead of posting all in the same right here.
    but thank you Andy,George ,Kevin and everyone for a grand slam home run

love A GO GO , also but do we need 5 different threads about it instead of posting all in the same right here.
    but thank you Andy,George ,Kevin and everyone for a grand slam home run
    You're probably correct, but we get these releases so infrequently it's hard not to get overly excited. It will die down [[too) soon.

You're probably correct, but we get these releases so infrequently it's hard not to get overly excited. It will die down [[too) soon.
    hope so . I just don't want a war to break out like the last time with ,well some who may not be fans of the ladies.
    but I do understand the excitement.
    with no new material from any of the ladies this is the next best thing. believe me I get it

April 29, 2017
    Amazon Best Sellers Rank
    #11 in CDs & Vinyl > R&B
    #75 in CDs & Vinyl > Rock
    #135 in CDs & Vinyl > Pop

Quote Originally Posted by longtimefan View Post
    April 29, 2017
    Amazon Best Sellers Rank
    #11 in CDs & Vinyl > R&B
    #75 in CDs & Vinyl > Rock
    #135 in CDs & Vinyl > Pop
    Wonder if it can make a billboard chart

Quote Originally Posted by jobeterob View Post
    Wonder if it can make a billboard chart
    Me, too. I have no idea how they "do" charting anymore with physical CDs and downloads. Of course, what I posted is just the "American" Amazon and we know that there are other outlets including overseas. iTunes downloads would be interesting to know about! How and who would consolidate all of these data would be interesting to know -- even if it is actually done [[Universal, I guess). In any case, it was fun to see this, however and hopefully be able to watch it GROW! :-)
    Last edited by longtimefan; 04-29-2017 at 01:54 PM.

A funny thing happened on the way to A Go Go.....

Shipping confirmation for release day delivery led to a curious e-mail on Friday saying that the package was damaged during shipment and would not be arriving . A real downer!

After contacting Customer Services, they worked quickly to offer free over-night delivery so that A Go Go arrived this afternoon. Yipee!

Now for the [[I suppose) expected questions....

July4-July5..Mary records backgrounds with Marlene Barrow for songs listed AND OTHERS.
    Will The Supremes Sing HDH Expanded Edition contain all of the remaining 'OTHERS'?

Brenda Holloway recorded demo vocals for which other tracks intended for A Go Go? Do
    these also contain background vocals whether by Mary/Flo; Mary/Diana;Mary/Marlene as 'Going To A Go Go' contained backgrounds by Flo & Mary when released on "A Cellarful of Motown-3?

Have you ever considered putting together a photo book of larger prints of the rare photos [[akin to the oft mentioned coffee table book of Mary Wilson) found in the 1st booklet of this cd and others? It would be wonderful to have larger copies of the photos such as those on page 3, 4, 9[[Bottom) , 13 w[[Bottom) , 14, 15,17,19?

Like many others, I'm loving everything about this new treasure. Thanks a million and then some.
    Last edited by carole cucumber; 04-29-2017 at 02:47 PM.

Could anyone post a picture of the booklets. I would LOVE to see the tour program reproduction... I wonder which one this could be

I think Mickey's Monkey and It's Not Unusual are possibly supposed to be the same versions from the Lost and Found set but when I play them back to back they are slightly different. I definitely hear more of an echo on the Go-Go versions. Listening more to see if there is anything else.

Hmmh.... too bad that erasing of vocals [[lead and/or background) took place. Thank God for what was retained.

Quote Originally Posted by aarondillon2011@gmail.com View Post
    I think Mickey's Monkey and It's Not Unusual are possibly supposed to be the same versions from the Lost and Found set but when I play them back to back they are slightly different. I definitely hear more of an echo on the Go-Go versions. Listening more to see if there is anything else.
    The booklet does mention that Disc 1 tracks 25-29 were mixed by Kevin Reeves at 4th Floor Studios, New York City which may explain why these two selections sound slightly different from their appearance on the Lost & Found.

Quote Originally Posted by aarondillon2011@gmail.com View Post
    It's called REVERB. An expert pointed that out to me

supremes a go go has not charted on ITunes ,..yet but Diana ross greatest hits from 1981 has charted at 149

supremes a go go has not charted on ITunes ,..yet but Diana ross greatest hits from 1981 has charted at 149
    Actually, daviddh, A' GO-GO charted a couple of days after its release; the peak position I noted was #79 R&B and it's fallen off their chart.

Quote Originally Posted by sansradio View Post
    Actually, daviddh, A' GO-GO charted a couple of days after its release; the peak position I noted was #79 R&B and it's fallen off their chart.
    Also, sansradio, no one who downloadeded the tracks from iTunes posted a review.

A result of touring

Quote Originally Posted by sansradio View Post
    thank you for mentioning it. I missed it . happy it charted, hopefully it will pick up more speed with the cd release

Hi everyone, I checked in here and wanted to say how much I [[we) appreciate all the great comments on several of these threads. Andy and I will talk about the CD on John's Nightflight radio show on Tuesday the 2nd but I thought I'd answer a few questions I've seen here and elsewhere.
    Kevin Reeves did re-EQ and make some minor changes to "Mickey's Monkey" and "It's Not Unusual" so they aren't exactly the same as on the Lost & Found set.
    As we said in the liner notes, it's no secret that Florence missed recording sessions. We listed some of the tracks that are Mary and Marlene and it's obvious that "What Becomes Of The Broken Hearted" is Mary and Diana. Some are Mary and Marlene with additional Andantes added but Mary recorded all of the tracks on this set except the few that contain no back up vocals. The background vocals are a touchy subject and sometimes it's best to say less.
    Honestly, we'd have to check again to see which tracks still have a Brenda Holloway demo lead. I know her vocal was erased on some of them. Probably most of them. We could check but the line "Brenda A Go-Go anyone" in the liner notes was just for fun.
    The photos are really great and I wish they could all be full page pics. Yes, it would be nice to do a book and we've talked about it. The digital download of the booklet is much bigger ... about eight and a half by eleven. [[not trying to make you buy both ... just letting you know. :-)
    The tour book is from 1966. The latest single listed in the book is "Love Is Like An Itching In My Heart." Many of you know there is another from 1967 and another from 1968 from the Diana Ross era. I hope we are able to use those as well.
    I'm sure there are a few questions I've overlooked but a million thanks again to everyone. We can't believe it's really here after all these years. I hope it's a huge success so we can move on to the next!

Thanks George. It's already Amazon # 15 r & b cds but I don't see it listed yet on top 100 tho someone said it was there. It's already a success!! Any plans to release Itching as a single?
    Last edited by luke; 04-30-2017 at 10:35 AM.

Great to see there's already 6 reviews posted on Amazon, from Philles/Gary and others from SDF. Keep it up, guys. Those reviews will spur sales, I am sure.

Mine just shipped yesterday but I'll definitely post a review as well.

It's great that this has the feeling of an "event." Can't wait to hear the show on Tuesday.

Wow, Luke, it would be great to do a single release of "Itching". I wonder if Universal would have any interest? I wish someone would use it in a movie.
    I forgot to mention the stereo unedited mix of "You Can't Hurry Love" that is on the reel to reel master of A Go-Go. I wish we had used it in place of the stereo mix on the album since the edited mix has been out there so much. We planned on doing a brand new YCHL but ran out of space and time ... and heaven forbid we should delay the project any further! Plus, there was a new mix on the #1's and an alternate vocal mix on Lost & Found. We also found an alternate mono single mix that included the edited piece but it fades much sooner than the version we know. I think they made the right choice making the edit.

George,
    thank you for stopping in as it is much appreciated. the entire team did great job and I cant wait until I get mine. I downloaded a copy as I couldn't wait. I know in the past these have been listed as either 5000 pr 10000 copies each. is this going to be the same.only a limited amount or has this changed.
    I love the time line. thnanks for the info.

wonder if there was any thought to do a new mix on Baby I Need Your Lovin.
    am I the only one who likes IN MY Lonely Room,kinda got the wall of sound working for it.
    These Boots ,I was never fond of but now it sparks. great mix.
    What The World Needs,...got what it needed with Kevin Reeves new mix. so nice.
    Hes All I Got. could been a single.
    with these new mixes I actually like A GO GO. you all converted me. I am a believer.
    thank you all again.

let us know when this is SOLD OUT..time to start work on H/D/H