[REMOVE ADS]

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Quote Originally Posted by vgalindo View Post
    Jealousy is a very ugly thing! Most female singers were so jealous of the huge success of the great Diana Ross!
    I can promise you, they're not jealous now. LOL!!!! RCA is still looking for their return on investment!

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    I can promise you, they're not jealous now. LOL!!!! RCA is still looking for their return on investment!
    Yes Marv2. You know them all personally. LOL

Yes Marv2. You know them all personally. LOL
    I know enough!

I believe it was said at the time it was the biggest recording contract up to that point. Who wouldn't be jealous of that. When she was probably struggling just to get a contract. I am so happy for Tina's success. She is one of my favorites.
    Yes, it was during that time-frame that Tina had some starts and stops with a new recording contract that ultimately yielded PD, the defining smash she always deserved. As a fan from the I&T days I was also in 7th heaven to see her career snowball. I was at Tina's show at the Ritz in NYC the very day that WLGTDWI became #1 and she announced it from the stage, utterly beaming with joy - a great memory to file along with many similar memories of Diana performances.

Quote Originally Posted by PeaceNHarmony View Post
    Yes, it was during that time-frame that Tina had some starts and stops with a new recording contract that ultimately yielded PD, the defining smash she always deserved. As a fan from the I&T days I was also in 7th heaven to see her career snowball. I was at Tina's show at the Ritz in NYC the very day that WLGTDWI became #1 and she announced it from the stage, utterly beaming with joy - a great memory to file along with many similar memories of Diana performances.
    Tina always gives credit to Ann-Margret for helping her get her solo career off the ground.

That was really a good time. I had always been a Tina fan, but didn't see her often as she wasn't on tv all that much in the US. I remember she did a local engagement around the time she recorded the Beatles' song HELP. I thought it was nice, but I wasn't expecting it to be a hit.

Not long after that, she did an interview with a local paper and mentioned that she had a new recording, LET'S STAY TOGETHER. When I finally heard it, I really liked it, but again, I wasn't expecting it to be a hit. I was totally surprised but very happy when it took off. And then with the subsequent success of WHAT'S LOVE and the PRIVATE DANCER album, it was nice to see Tina finally rewarded for all of the years she worked hard and hung in there. Can't believe that has been over 30 years ago.

I have always Loved Tina Turner, the first time I met her was probably around 1968 or 69 with Ike. Tina never said two words the whole time. Ike did all the talking and never once looked at Tina. I am sure Tina and Diana are not the BEST of friends but I am also sure the bitterness that fans tend to say exist between them is not true.
    Name:  CtSsCoOWcAEqdPH.jpg
Views: 942
Size:  44.3 KBName:  4e5caedfada9025159bf6e6fb0ee3343 [[1).jpg
Views: 1290
Size:  68.6 KB

Quote Originally Posted by captainjames View Post
    I have always Loved Tina Turner, the first time I met her was probably around 1968 or 69 with Ike. Tina never said two words the whole time. Ike did all the talking and never once looked at Tina. I am sure Tina and Diana are not the BEST of friends but I am also sure the bitterness that fans tend to say exist between them is not true.
    Name:  CtSsCoOWcAEqdPH.jpg
Views: 942
Size:  44.3 KBName:  4e5caedfada9025159bf6e6fb0ee3343 [[1).jpg
Views: 1290
Size:  68.6 KB
    I agree Captainjames. I have also always been a huge fan of Tina Turner's. Looking at the pictures Tina doesn't look like she hates Diana to me! I wouldn't be in the same room with someone I hated. Let alone sitting with them smiling and posing for pictures!!

Quote Originally Posted by reese View Post
    That was really a good time. I had always been a Tina fan, but didn't see her often as she wasn't on tv all that much in the US. I remember she did a local engagement around the time she recorded the Beatles' song HELP. I thought it was nice, but I wasn't expecting it to be a hit.

Not long after that, she did an interview with a local paper and mentioned that she had a new recording, LET'S STAY TOGETHER. When I finally heard it, I really liked it, but again, I wasn't expecting it to be a hit. I was totally surprised but very happy when it took off. And then with the subsequent success of WHAT'S LOVE and the PRIVATE DANCER album, it was nice to see Tina finally rewarded for all of the years she worked hard and hung in there. Can't believe that has been over 30 years ago.
    I agree, Reese. I can remember having the radio tuned to a NYC FM R&B station in January '83 and the swirl of syth intro to LST began. Then THE VOICE. I know that voice, I thought ... 'Let me say that since ...' can it be? No, it can't! TINA being played on the radio?? But it was indeed the single of LST, a few months in advance of PD, and the next day I went looking for the 12", found it, and played it to death. The rest is herstory. And, being 34 years ago, I was only 2 at the time, so it's amazing I remember it so well!

I agree Captainjames. I have also always been a huge fan of Tina Turner's. Looking at the pictures Tina doesn't look like she hates Diana to me! I wouldn't be in the same room with someone I hated. Let alone sitting with them smiling and posing for pictures!!
    What a great picture. And, no, no hate there. That's made up by the polluters.

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    Tina always gives credit to Ann-Margret for helping her get her solo career off the ground.
    Not really. What she does credit Ann-Margret with is saving her life. It wasn't documented in the Angela Bassett bio-pic but it was in fact Ann-Margret who took Tina in once she decided to leave Ike.

Here beginning at the 10:00 mark, Ann Margret presents Tina with her award and Tina thanks her in detail:

Again, there was never any suggestion that Ross did not like Tina. It was quite the opposite. Armani recounted that Ross flattered Tina and expressed sincere appreciation for Tina. Ross even offered to assist Tina and Armani believes that offer was rudely rebuffed by Tina -- due to Tina's jealousy in that moment. After her staggering comeback success and her life's blessings I can't believe that a woman of Tina's enlightenment would nurse any petty grudges or jealousy against anyone, especially someone who'd never wronged her. I think the picture of Ross and Tina at the Legends Ball is lovely and perhaps the truest expression of where they both are today -- happy and content.

I can listen to Tina everyday of the week, Diane I'll give a miss.

Quote Originally Posted by jsmith View Post
    Hear, hear!!!!!

We can say that about a lot of singers but, we will simply be glad they are still with us.

Don't you mean Ann?

We have a Tina Turner Appreciation thread over on the main forum:

https://soulfuldetroit.com/showthrea...r+Appreciation

Check this out:

https://soulfuldetroit.com/showthrea...r+Appreciation

The person fawning over Tina Turner in this thread is the one who called her a liar about Ike Turners abusie and then he went on to call her an alley cat and a rough neck. The negative one is only praising Tina now to make sure we know Tina doesnt like Diane. So weird and real warped imo.

Heres the thread and his true "views" on Tina are real clear for all to see.

https://soulfuldetroit.com/showthrea...ghlight=Turner

wow !!!
    That is a bit twisted and shady.

Quote Originally Posted by Roberta75 View Post
    The person fawning over Tina Turner in this thread is the one who called her a liar about Ike Turners abusie and then he went on to call her an alley cat and a rough neck. The negative one is only praising Tina now to make sure we know Tina doesnt like Diane. So weird and real warped imo.

Quote Originally Posted by captainjames View Post
    wow !!!
    That is a bit twisted and shady.
    Just a tad dear Captain.

Fondly,

Roberta

Just a tad dear Captain.

Fondly,

Roberta
    I remember that thread, Ms. Roberta! Here's a quote from Thomas Paine: 'Yet it is folly to argue against determined hardness; eloquence may strike the ear, and the language of sorrow draw forth the tear of compassion, but nothing can reach the heart that is steeled with predjudice'. Believe it or not I just read that about a half hour ago! You have a blessed and joyous weekend. I'm travelling to DC on Sunday for the March For Equality!

All I can say is wow! Thanks for the link Roberta75.

Quote Originally Posted by Guy View Post
    Again, there was never any suggestion that Ross did not like Tina. It was quite the opposite. Armani recounted that Ross flattered Tina and expressed sincere appreciation for Tina. Ross even offered to assist Tina and Armani believes that offer was rudely rebuffed by Tina -- due to Tina's jealousy in that moment. After her staggering comeback success and her life's blessings I can't believe that a woman of Tina's enlightenment would nurse any petty grudges or jealousy against anyone, especially someone who'd never wronged her. I think the picture of Ross and Tina at the Legends Ball is lovely and perhaps the truest expression of where they both are today -- happy and content.
    Great post, Guy. This is a stretch, to be sure, but when I saw the pics I thought of what is known as 'The ex: President's Club'. Diana, Tina, Oprah, Chaka can identify with each other in a way we never can. Like ex: presidents, even if they have had disagreements along the way ultimately they realize they are in a rare society that others can never understand!
    Last edited by PeaceNHarmony; 06-09-2017 at 08:27 PM.

PeaceNHarmony you are absolutely right !!!
    There is really no reason for negative trip.

Great post, Guy. This is a stretch, to be sure, but when I saw the pics I thought of what is known as 'The ex: President's Club'. Diana, Tina, Oprah, Chaka can identify with each other in a way we never can. Like ex: presidents, even if they have had disagreements along the way ultimately they realize they are in a rare society that others can never understand!

All I can say is wow! Thanks for the link Roberta75.
    It tells you all you need to know about the negative person dear. Just be real grateful and thank God there not in your personal life.

I remember that thread, Ms. Roberta! Here's a quote from Thomas Paine: 'Yet it is folly to argue against determined hardness; eloquence may strike the ear, and the language of sorrow draw forth the tear of compassion, but nothing can reach the heart that is steeled with predjudice'. Believe it or not I just read that about a half hour ago! You have a blessed and joyous weekend. I'm travelling to DC on Sunday for the March For Equality!
    March on my beautifull man and keep marching until equality is a realitty. Bless you.

i always think of this bible quote when im encountering hate and negativitty.

The tongue that brings healing is a tree of life, but a deceitful tongue crushes the spirit.

always go with the healthy and healing my dear.

Fondly,

Roberta