[REMOVE ADS]

Motown Spiritual and Gospel Tracks

In addition to several new spiritual tracks now available on MOTOWN UNRELEASED 1966, we have tracks from two previously released albums/CDs: IN LOVING MEMORY and KEYS TO THE KINGDOM. Are there other religious tracks by popular artists [[not choirs, sermons, testimonials, etc.) available on CD? Three that come to mind are WHAT A FRIEND WE HAVE IN JESUS and EVERYTIME I FEEL THE SPIRIT by The Supremes and AVE MARIA by Stevie Wonder. Put on your thinking caps! :-) Hmmmmm .... none by Brenda? Jimmy? p.s. I am not counting Christmas albums. Thanks!
    Last edited by longtimefan; 01-01-2017 at 04:09 AM.

There are at least three other gospel albums on the Motown labels. But why do you have to post in RED?

Having had a quick look at Motown's gospel output, not all would fit your criteria I suspect. One album that came later on may not always spring to mind - "Motown Comes Home" which has the following tracks.

1 Come by Here [[Kum Ba Ya) - Trey Harris / Howard Hewett / Smokey Robinson / Shanice / System Three / Stevie Wonder / Ali-Ollie Woodson 5:34
    2 Searching - Shanice / Crystal Wilson / Penni Wilson 5:19
    3 Gotta Hold On - Strate Vocalz 5:01
    4 Do They Know - Boyz II Men 3:27
    5 Spirit Control Me - Brent Jones 4:28
    6 Broken Pieces - The Temptations 5:51
    7 His Name Is Jesus - Strate Vocalz 5:19
    8 Just When You Think It's Over - Trey Harris 4:40
    9 I'll Keep My Light in My Window - Smokey Robinson 4:23
    10 I Know Where I Stand - Johnny Gill 5:41

A lot of the "What's Going On" LP has a spiritual dimension ... "God Is Love" being the most obvious example ... though personally I prefer the single version ...

Roger

And then there is also Eddie Kendicks "He's A Friend", which if you listen beyond the disco rhythm and the philly production you will find is a song about Eddie "finding Jesus" .....

Roger

There is also the Caston & Majors gospel-soul album, recorded by Leonard Caston Jr. with his wife Carolyn Majors. Released in 1974, it contained the original version of the BRILLIANT "I'll Keep My Light In My Window", which was later recorded by Diana Ross & Marvin Gaye and The Temptations.

And Eddie K continued the theme with the apocalyptic "Going Up In Smoke" .. though its doom-laden lyrics might sound out of place with the more joyous material that has been mentioned here already ....

Roger

Here's an album on the Motown Gospel label but you may already have all the relevant tracks in your collection?

Gospel's Best - The 60s
    1. Stevie Wonder - Swing Low Sweet Chariot 2:57
    2. The Sensational Nightingales - Working on the Building 1:38
    3. The Mighty Clouds of Joy - Two Wings 2:09
    4. Gladys Knight & the Pips - How Great Thou Art 4:50
    5. The Five Blind Boys / The Five Blind Boys of Mississippi - Old Ship of Zion [Single Version] 3:00
    6. Smokey Robinson & the Miracles - Rock of Ages 3:19
    7. The Dixie Hummingbirds - Christian Automobile 2:17
    8. Wright Specials - That's What He Is to Me [Single Version] 2:16
    9. Gospel Stars / The Gospel Stars - Have You Any Time for Jesus 2:34
    10. The Temptations - Lord's Prayer 2:46

Quote Originally Posted by roger View Post
    And then there is also Eddie Kendicks "He's A Friend", which if you listen beyond the disco rhythm and the philly production you will find is a song about Eddie "finding Jesus"
    Yes, I LOVE that song! A gospel-Philly-disco extravaganza!! There's also this one, "Goin' Up In Smoke", although the message is more apocalypse-based, lol

Quote Originally Posted by roger View Post
    And Eddie K continued the theme with the apocalyptic "Going Up In Smoke" .. though its doom-laden lyrics might sound out of place with the more joyous material that has been mentioned here already
    Quote Originally Posted by TomatoTom123 View Post
    Yes, I LOVE that song! A gospel-Philly-disco extravaganza!! There's also this one, "Goin' Up In Smoke", although the message is more apocalypse-based, lol
    Roger - SNAP!
    LOL
    Last edited by TomatoTom123; 01-01-2017 at 10:13 AM.

Marv Johnson's "I Believe" album - [[largely?) recorded at Hitsville but not released by Motown.

A1 Let Every Living Creature Praise The Lord 2:30
    A2 Swing Low, Sweet Chariot 4:03
    A3 How Long Has It Been Since You Prayed 4:02
    A4 He's Got The Whole Words In Your Hands 2:59
    A5 I Believe 2:08
    A6 Ride The Chariot 2:12
    B1 He Gave Me You 2:34
    B2 You Better Mind 2:29
    B3 When I've Done The Best I Can 4:25
    B4 I'm Going To Work Until The Day Is Done 2:29
    B5 If I Can Help Somebody 3:50
    B6 Everytime I Feel The Spirit 2:15

The Motown Anthology by Chris Clark includes "He's Got The Whole World In His Hands".

Diana's take on "Ninety-Nine and a Half," though performed during her RCA years on her Red Hot Rhythm & Blues TV special of 1987, appears on the Forever Diana box set.

Also these from Táta Vega:
    "Try God" [Full Speed Ahead CD]
    "Come In Heaven Earth Is Calling [Totally Táta CD]
    "Jesus Takes Me Higher" [ditto]

POPS WE LOVE YOU...THE ALBUM contains previously released inspirational tracks such as Diana Ross' REACH OUT AND TOUCH, Marvin Gaye's GOD IS LOVE, and Tata Vega's COME IN HEAVEN alongside other songs like MOTHER'S SON by Smokey Robinson, YOU'LL NEVER ROCK ALONE by Jermaine Jackson and Tata Vega, and Diana and Marvin's I'LL KEEP MY LIGHT IN MY WINDOW.

Can't forget about Liz and her otherworldly soprano:
    Liz Lands- Whole World in His Hands:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AJKfSo957p4

May What He Lived For, Live:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kmOPmGBP51o

They may have come much later after the heyday of Motown, but 702 was a very talented part of the company's legacy. This was an inspirational album track that I loved during my college days.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JvviJSvp0_M

And possibly Stevie Wonder's "Heaven Help Us All" would fit in with the theme ....

Roger

I forgot about this but Motown had a gospel subsidiary label in its early days, Divinity Records! There were also a few gospel songs released on Motown and Tamla prior to Divinity. The artists who cut them are pretty obscure though, not familiar Motown names. There is also the entirety of the Motown Unreleased 1962: Gospel album!

I'm surprised no one has yet mentioned "The Great Gospel Stars" by the Gospel Stars. Although not the first album by catalogue number [[TM-222), this was the first album to be released by the Company on the Tamla label coming out in February 1961 some four months prior to "Hi, We're The Miracles" TM-220 and "The Soulful Moods Of Marvin Gaye" TM-221, both of which were released in June '61.

December 1962 also saw the release of an album on Tamla by Rev. Columbus Mann "They Shall Be Mine" TM-227.

A Motown gospel post without this Marvin gem?

Quote Originally Posted by motownjohnny View Post
    I'm surprised no one has yet mentioned "The Great Gospel Stars" by the Gospel Stars. Although not the first album by catalogue number [[TM-222), this was the first album to be released by the Company on the Tamla label coming out in February 1961 some four months prior to "Hi, We're The Miracles" TM-220 and "The Soulful Moods Of Marvin Gaye" TM-221, both of which were released in June '61.

December 1962 also saw the release of an album on Tamla by Rev. Columbus Mann "They Shall Be Mine" TM-227.
    Well if we're thinking outside of the "popular artists" [[which is what was specified by the original poster), there is also the Shades Of Gospel Soul album issued as Motown MS-701 - in 1970
    Give God A Chance - Gospel Stars
    Pilgrim Of Sorrow - Wright Specials
    Hush Children Hush - Columbus Mann
    Have You Any Time For Jesus - Gospel Stars
    Ninety-Nine And A Half - Wright Specials
    He Lifted Me - Gospel Stars
    I'll Never Turn Back No More - Columbus Mann
    I Won't Go Back - Wright Specials
    Lamb At The Altar - Gospel Stars
    [[They) Shall Be Mine - Columbus Mann

There are also a couple of Gospel leaning tracks on the "Save The Children" set, plus "We Shall Overcome" by Liz Lands from the Martin Luther King CD.

M-800R2 - Save the Children [[Soundtrack) - 1974]
    Dialogue - Rev. Jesse Jackson
    Narration - Matt Robinson
    Save The Children - Marvin Gaye
    Papa Was A Rollin Stone - Temptations
    Everybody Plays The Fool - Main Ingredient
    Sunshine - O'Jays
    This Child Of Mine - Zulema
    Country Preacher - Cannonball Adderley
    Praise Him With A Stringed Instrument - Rev. James Cleveland & Push Expo Choir
    Lean on Me - Bill Withers
    What's Happening Brother - Marvin Gaye
    Give Me Your Love - Curtis Mayfield
    I've Gotta Be Me - Sammy Davis Jr.
    On A Clear Day [[You Can See Forever)-Killer Joe - Roberta Flack & Quincy Jones
    I Heard It Through The Grapevine - Gladys Knight & Pips
    [[They Long to Be) Close To You - Jerry Butler & Brenda Lee Eager
    People Make The World Go Round - Ramsey Lewis Trio
    The Greatest Performance Of My Life - Nancy Wilson
    I Wanna Be Where You Are - Jackson 5
    What's Going On - Marvin Gaye
    Dialogue - Rev. Jesse Jackson
    I'm Too Close To Heaven To Turn Around - Jackie Verdell & Push Expo Choir

The film Save the Children is wayyyyyyy overdue for a DVD release. I understand some hairy copyright issues are the culprit. What a shame.

The Four Tops NOBODY KNOWS THE TROUBLE I'VE SEEN from IN LOVING MEMORY is a stand out track. Wish there was stereo mix that album.

The Temptations "Broken Pieces"

In 1961, Motown released an LP byThe Gospel Stars titled "The Great Gospel Stars" on Tamla 222. The tracks were as follows:

Side A:
    1) He Lifted Me
    2) Jacob Wrestled With The Angels
    3) He Knows It All
    4) Make Everything Alright
    5) If Any Man

Side B:
    1) Swing Low
    2) Behold The Saints Of God
    3) Lamb On The Altar
    4) He's Using Me
    5) Sweet Bye And Bye

This album was also reissued on CD on the budget Hallmark label back in 2012. Here's a copy of the CD cover:

https://a.co/d/4E2NCKv

And here's a sample of "Behold The Saints Of God" from the album. I've always liked this track because it's shuffle beat really swings!

https://youtu.be/XZBgvonM40w

As I have been going through the Supremes 1970's albums, I came up on Thank Him For Today. I only just realized the religious sentiments of the song. I have no idea why I never realized it before.

Hear is three Gospel 45's that belonged to Berry Gordy from his Detroit Mansion basement, from Harvey Fuqua & his Sister Gwen Gordy. From 1962. All Three are on YouTube if you are interested in the others.

Last edited by Graham Jarvis; 06-26-2023 at 02:27 PM.

Whilst strictly not a gospel song, David Ruffin's "World Of Darkness" from his My Whole World Ended album has a distinct gospel feel to it.

Quote Originally Posted by thommg View Post
    As I have been going through the Supremes 1970's albums, I came up on Thank Him For Today. I only just realized the religious sentiments of the song. I have no idea why I never realized it before.
    There was also the Supremes track “May His Love Shine Forever”. I forget which album it was from but I know it was a various artists LP. I believe the first time it showed up in a Supremes set was the “This is the Story” box set.

Quote Originally Posted by kenneth View Post
    There was also the Supremes track “May His Love Shine Forever”. I forget which album it was from but I know it was a various artists LP. I believe the first time it showed up in a Supremes set was the “This is the Story” box set.
    It was released on the compilation ROCK GOSPEL: THE KEY TO THE KINGDOM.

Marvin Gaye: Wholy Holy may have been included above in the unavailable videos

Here's a couple of songs from Stevie Wonder that deal with sprituality-

And one from Rare Earth-