[REMOVE ADS]

Rochelles on Spacey Records-1964-Is it a Detroit record?

Name:  av-5.jpg
Views: 328
Size:  21.1 KB
    I think Spacey Records were pressed in New York. But, I'd like to know if this was the same Detroit female group that backed Gino Washington on his 1964 Amon and Wand releases on sessions recorded in Detroit. The record label design is similar to Harry Balk's Twirl Records design from 1964, and his writers and artists home town was Detroit, although he often took his artists to New York to record them, and had the records pressed there. I'd still refer to Twirl as a Detroit label. I wonder if "Spacey" had a similar situation.

Was there a different "Rochelles" female group in New York, at the very same time? It's really not possible to determine by their sound, as the Spacey cuts have a distinctive lead singer, but all The Rochelles sang in the background on Gino's cuts.

Any help would be appreciated.

Views: 362
    Here's a scan of the Spacey Record:

J. Sharpton and Osbia don't tell me it's Detroit. Robinson could be Detroit's Rudy Robinson.

Views: 307
    failed upload
    Last edited by robb_k; 10-28-2013 at 03:21 AM.

Views: 310
    Where are all the members who were going to high school hops and collecting records in Detroit in 1964-who can tell me if they remember The Rochelles appearing locally in Detroit?

Views: 312
    Bump up. Does anyone remember The Rochelles appearing in Detroit as a local group?

Robb,
    The R&B Indies has it listed as:
    Spacey [[logo)
    Los Angeles, CA [[?)

201 Rochells Please Hear My Plea SP-70-201
    Teardrops SP-70-202

No other releases are listed for this label.

Sorry I couldn't be more help [['cos I owe you bigtime--I haven't forgotten!).

Quote Originally Posted by robb_k View Post
Views: 328
    I think Spacey Records were pressed in New York. But, I'd like to know if this was the same Detroit female group that backed Gino Washington on his 1964 Amon and Wand releases on sessions recorded in Detroit. The record label design is similar to Harry Balk's Twirl Records design from 1964, and his writers and artists home town was Detroit, although he often took his artists to New York to record them, and had the records pressed there. I'd still refer to Twirl as a Detroit label. I wonder if "Spacey" had a similar situation.

Was there a different "Rochelles" female group in New York, at the very same time? It's really not possible to determine by their sound, as the Spacey cuts have a distinctive lead singer, but all The Rochelles sang in the background on Gino's cuts.

Any help would be appreciated.
    I doubt very much it is a Detroit label for the following reasons:

1. Keith Rylatt's Groovesville USA, the Detroit Soul & R&B Index does not include it in their publication; and

2, The now defunct M.I.C.C. publication issued an alphabetical listing of Detroit, MI record labels and it is not included in the 212 label listing.l

Quote Originally Posted by mrclemma View Post
    Robb,
    The R&B Indies has it listed as:
    Spacey [[logo)
    Los Angeles, CA [[?)

201 Rochells Please Hear My Plea SP-70-201
    Teardrops SP-70-202

No other releases are listed for this label.

Sorry I couldn't be more help [['cos I owe you bigtime--I haven't forgotten!).
Views: 301
    The Spacey Records pressing above is clearly NOT an L.A. pressing. It is certainly NOT from 1970. And the music was clearly recorded in the early/mid 1960s [[I'd guess 1964, or 1963). It is most likely a New York pressing. NO L.A. labels look like that.

As I stated above, I think it was pressed in New York. The recordings might have even been made in New York. But the group could still be a Detroit group despite all that [[as i stated above about Harry Balk's artists. Even ed Wingate and JoAnne Bratton recorded their Golden World and Ric Tic artists in New York from 1962 through early 1964, using New York songwriters, producers and session musicians.

Quote Originally Posted by woodward View Post
    I doubt very much it is a Detroit label for the following reasons:

1. Keith Rylatt's Groovesville USA, the Detroit Soul & R&B Index does not include it in their publication; and

2, The now defunct M.I.C.C. publication issued an alphabetical listing of Detroit, MI record labels and it is not included in the 212 label listing.l
Views: 320
    I have been a contributor to Keith Rylatt's database over the years. And that record's not being on his list does not exclude the possibility that Spacey was a Detroit-based company, and that it's artists were located in Detroit.

I'm still hoping that some of our over 65 -aged Detroiters, who were involved in Detroit's music scene in 1964, will comment here. It seems to me that during 1964, Gino Washington was backed by The Atlantics [[band) on his live appearances, and also that The Rochelles accompanied him, singing backgrounds for him on those appearances. Can any Detroiters confirm or deny that? If so, Id also like to know if they remember The Rochelles appearing on their own. Any help will be appreciated.

Views: 257
    Bump up for new onlookers.

Views: 251
    Bump up. No one knows anything about this label? Graham?