[REMOVE ADS]

Thread: The Staples

The Staples

This thread was inspired by a mention of Pops Staples in another thread. But the Staples- especially Mavis Staples - has to be one of the longest running acts in black music since Ron Isley. You don't hear much about Pervis and , Cleotha is ailing , but Mavis is still touring and recording.Any other fans?

I'm a big fan as well. While their Stax period is their most successful, I have all of their recordings, from the early years at VJ up through their last album on CBS/Priority I. Particular faves of mine are their recordings of WISH I HAD ANSWERED, CRYING IN THE CHAPEL, A WEDNESDAY IN YOUR GARDEN, LET'S DO IT AGAIN, and Mavis' stirring rendition of I HONESTLY LOVE YOU.

It's great to see the renewed attention that Mavis is now getting, via high-profile tv appearances and her recordings for Anti. Whenever she' s in my area, I make a point of going to see her.

Ron Isley has stayed relevant in the contemporary music scene. Younger generations know about "Mr Biggs", and maybe even what his legacy is, but they don't know about the Staples.

i loved that gospel/soul/funk sound."be altitude,respect yourself" lp is one of my all time favourite albums

Well soulster,that may be true to some extinct,but that's a shame if the younger generation may not know anything about the Staples. From their early gospel recordings,to their fight for civil rights,and popular recordings from the 70s with Stax Records,and their other hits like "Let's Do It Again," [[which was sampled by rapper Ice Cube for "It Was A Good Day") they are a important figure to gospel/soul music.

Here's one of my favorites,and I was surprised they covered this song. [[It's still a jam to me)

Two BIG thumbs up for their cover of "Slippery People" The song was already awesome, straight from the Talking Heads. But, the Staples took it to a whole 'nother level [[so to speak). I always loved their music, and I think it's great that Mavis is finally getting some more well-deserved exposure. Unfortunately [[and correct me, if I'm wrong), you won't hear any of her recent music on so-called "black" radio stations ...

Cat

You're right Cat, they are not playing her latest CD on black radio. I heard it only on a local rock station,that plays a variety of music.

The so-called "classic soul" stations in Chicago don't even play this song by Mavis anymore.

topdiva1 Guest
    What the Staples did on SLIPPERY PEOPLE is untouched to this day - they have the best version of this Talking Heads smash hit.

smark21 Guest
    She's getting a lot of love and airplay on Indie and Alt Rock radio. Pitchfork, which is a main net source for Indie fans, gave her last album a rave review.

http://pitchfork.com/reviews/albums/...are-not-alone/

Just picked up the third volume of the Complete Stax Soul Singles, and they're all over it...and I'm enjoying every minute of their songs and all the others!!

Yeah, smark, that's what's up with Mavis now - indie and alt rock radio. That's how Geetee, I and other interested people have kept up with her music, over the years. Here in Chicago, on WXRT, in particular, they give Mavis SO much well-deserved love...It's a beautiful thing, too Bettye gets love from them, too... As a matter of fact, *I* hear more real, soul music [[even amongst several newer, younger acts) these days on indie, college and/or alt rock radio than on these so-called "black" radio stations...But, that's another story, and I'm done with my rant, for now BTW, Geetee, thanks for posting that video of "Wrote A Song for You" here. That latest collaboration she has with Jeff Tweedy from Wilco works so well

Cat

You're welcome Cat.

slippery people,what a traack that was!thanks for reminding me

Respect Yourself is an anthem in my household.

Pops Staples did a version of "I Shall Not Be Moved", I believe Ry Cooder is on it...that I used to play for my girls years ago....and used as an example of how phrasing is used to add and/or change the meaning of the lyrics to a song.

I believe Mavis had a version of the song on her solo album from a few years ago. Haven't heard it since I picked it up from the library.

I will most def check Slippery People when I get home.

smark21 Guest
    So what do you all think of Mavis Staples most recent work? It's quite good and refreshing that she's putting out new music and she's not just an oldies act.

Mavis Staples was in Memphis on monday for the Martin Luther King day observances. She performed at a grizzlies game . She said the city is very special to her.