[REMOVE ADS]

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Quote Originally Posted by BigAl View Post
    Well, any time a '60s-Supremes-related item is posted, highlighting only one or two group members, not all three, we can then expect a firestorm to ensue. All the business of, "My Supreme's better than your Supreme…nyaah nyaah nyaah!" would annoy me if it weren't so hugely entertaining!
    We don't have to expect that. People need to just grow up!

Quote Originally Posted by jobeterob View Post
    The honey bee stings a little bit harder when Diana gets Presidential Medals of Freedom and Grammy Lifetime Achievement Awards.

But the group ended in 1966 - the guys at Universal have always said that. They just don't want to post it publicly on here and send anyone over the deep end because Diana rode the limo alone after 66.

But she did get Mary and Florence mentioned by President Obama during the presentation.
    As Diana and Obama appear to be good friends, i wonder if she asked him if he would possibly mind briefly mentioningf her old backing singers from 47 years ago. It seems likely.
    If so what a warm and thoughtful gesture by M's Ross. ...Just lovely.

Hmmmmm. Was it her or was it obamas knowledge of her early history as a supreme.

Quote Originally Posted by franjoy56 View Post
    Hmmmmm. Was it her or was it obamas knowledge of her early history as a supreme.
    Obama and I are the same age. He knows who was in the Supremes. He also knows their story........

Quote Originally Posted by franjoy56 View Post
    Who knows for sure franjoy. In my heart i feel the fact that he took the time to briefly mention two women who Diana had not worked with for nearly fifty years at an event where she was receiving one of the highest accolades any civillian can be awarded might have been prompted by the lady herself. If so what a kind and noble thing for her to have done............ Reach out and touch Diana.

I'm certain the President's reference to The Supremes was expected and no doubt approved by Diane. Granted, there have been times when she has intimated that the role of the group represented little more to her than a footnote in her career, but it would have been remiss if no mention had been made of that period in her deverlopment, because, despite her phenomenal successes as a solo performer, it was truly the most important music she ever made. Even she is bound to be aware of this.

Quote Originally Posted by Ollie9 View Post
    Who knows for sure franjoy. In my heart i feel the fact that he took the time to briefly mention two women who Diana had not worked with for nearly fifty years at an event where she was receiving one of the highest accolades any civillian can be awarded might have been prompted by the lady herself. If so what a kind and noble thing for her to have done............ Reach out and touch Diana.

He read her history prior to awarding the medal [[which really is for the Supremes btw) as he did for the real "Boss" Bruce Springsteen who did not acknowledge her at all.

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    He read her history prior to awarding the medal [[which really is for the Supremes btw) as he did for the real "Boss" Bruce Springsteen who did not acknowledge her at all.
    Such bitterness. You really do need to follow your own advice and grow up and show some humility.

Although diana has had a successful solo career it does not matter how many yrs go by since diana was a supreme it will forever be linked to her as an artist it was her most significant work 12 number ones no matter who sang w her it was a part of diana ross as a member of the supremes. Her work as a solo artist is certainly worthy as her $tardom as an artist took flight but it had been developed when she was pushed out front during her years as a supreme and that period can never be ignored.

An eyewitness account from Marv who was in the room before and during and after the awards and at the lunch after the awards. Lol. You really need to get a life and stop obesssing over Diane Ross. Lol

Alright kids stop being childish

I guess, while reading her history, he studied her moves too, including her shoulder moves, which he mimicked while hugging her. You could tell from watching this clip, that he really has no love or affection for her

https://www.facebook.com/PassaicReco...2352764338232/

That is really cute. It's like he forgot where he was for just a split moment.

Quote Originally Posted by milven View Post
    I guess, while reading her history, he studied her moves too, including her shoulder moves, which he mimicked while hugging her. You could tell from watching this clip, that he really has no love or affection for her

Now why would he hate her? Diana Ross?

Quote Originally Posted by blackguy69 View Post
    Alright kids stop being childish
    Yes children, please grow up! This is a great recording. I love the rhythm track and the beautiful voices......................

Once again ...................Congratulations Diana !!!!
    The 60's did not hold you back neither will the narrow thinking in 2016.

Quote Originally Posted by captainjames View Post
    Once again ...................Congratulations Diana !!!!
    The 60's did not hold you back neither will the narrow thinking in 2016.
    link to video of Obama showing some love to Diana

Last edited by milven; 11-27-2016 at 07:24 PM.

Yes children, please grow up! This is a great recording. I love the rhythm track and the beautiful voices......................

I know this is probably going to sound blasphemous or something but for some reason I actually don't like this song. I don't really like it with the lead vocals, and I like it even less without them. I mean, it's alright, and I'll probably warm to it, but not one of my faves, I can say that. Also, probably not worth arguing over, lol!!

When Obama talked about the Supremes Diana . Mary and Florence and called them iconic you could tell how much he loved them.

Quote Originally Posted by luke View Post
    When Obama talked about the Supremes Diana . Mary and Florence and called them iconic you could tell how much he loved them.
    Based on what ?
    He didn't give the award to The Supremes it was Diana and neither was the E Street Band given the award but Bruce Springsteen. I saw it and I heard it.

Quote Originally Posted by captainjames View Post
    Based on what ?
    He didn't give the award to The Supremes it was Diana and neither was the E Street Band given the award but Bruce Springsteen. I saw it and I heard it.
    It was for the Supremes. Diane's not busy which is why they had her accept.

Wasn't the medal awarded to Diana, for Diana? Isn't it for her work both with The Supremes and without them? I don't know.

Also, what's up with "Diane"? Is that her real name? I have always thought it ended in an "a" - my mind is yet again being blown, lol

She was named Diane. Her birth certificate was Diana due to a clerical error. She always went by Diane both as her personal name and her stage name. Early on in the Supremes success however, she decided to go by Diana. Mary writes about how she didn't like it because Diana never told her or Florence, they found out in the middle
    Of a press interview. Now it is understood friends and family call her Diane, as well as people who don't want to give her respect.

Quote Originally Posted by imakicola View Post
    She was named Diane. Her birth certificate was Diana due to a clerical error. She always went by Diane both as her personal name and her stage name. Early on in the Supremes success however, she decided to go by Diana. Mary writes about how she didn't like it because Diana never told her or Florence, they found out in the middle
    Of a press interview. Now it is understood friends and family call her Diane, as well as people who don't want to give her respect.
    When i initially worked with her i called her Miss Ross, but after a few months she asked me to call her Diana. I asked her if she wanted me to call her Diane instead but she said she prefered Diana, and that is how i have refered to her ever since.

Diana is as busy as she wants to be. If Mary is busier then it is because she NEEDS to be for whatever reason. If this award was for the Supremes then why did Mary not attend? She would normally attend the opening of an envelope, and there is no way on earth she would pass up on such a high profile opportunity. The award was for Diana honouring her work as a Supreme, and as a solo artist.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebrock View Post
    Diana is as busy as she wants to be. If Mary is busier then it is because she NEEDS to be for whatever reason. If this award was for the Supremes then why did Mary not attend? She would normally attend the opening of an envelope, and there is no way on earth she would pass up on such a high profile opportunity. The award was for Diana honouring her work as a Supreme, and as a solo artist.

Lol Mary would attend the opening of an envelope lol.

Mary was always my favorite but gosh that's totally accurate.

Honest and to the point Bluebrock.
    This very special award for outstanding achievements was for Diana and Diana alone.

You are right Bluerock, the award was for Diana Ross - There are some fans you have to just....well you know. I will admit the opening of the envelope bit was funny.

Flo is on My World Is Empty. You can hear her just before the instrumental break. Flo is on You Can't Hurry Love. I'll admit Reflections is questionable, either way the backgrounds sound horrible on that one. A lot of the songs around '66/'67 have Mary up front with Flo singing softly beneath her. Flo and Mary and the Andantes are on Stop, TOGETHER, as Louvaine pointed out twice.

I believe it was Andy who said a couple of years ago, the Andantes thing has been blown out of proportion.

Quote Originally Posted by luke View Post
    You have to remember Luke, Obama grew up with their music just like many of us. He is the same age as me.

Quote Originally Posted by imakicola View Post
    I love this old chestnut!

Her legal name is Diana because of the birth certificate mix-up. In her high school yearbook she was called Diana, as she was on Meet The Supremes, considerably before she hit the big time.

When referring to her in topics of a professional context I call her Diana Ross. In topics of a more personal context I usually refer to her as Diane. When I first heard her introduce herself as Diane on the Copa album I just got the impression that she went by that name, using Diana only for professional purposes. [[You must admit it has a more profession/glamorous ring to it.)

Having followed her career and personal life almost since the beginning, I tend to think of her as an old, familiar friend, even though she's not, my having actually met her only twice. For me, referring to her as Diane is not a term of derision, but of endearment. I see no difference between that and the fact that my most of oldest friends invariably call me Al, but others call me Allan. [[I just let people call me whatever they're comfortable with, so this is always flexible. Some people don't like to use diminutives.) If I were to introduce myself to Diana Ross, I would introduce myself as Al, merely because of my long history as a fan, and, by extension, a kind of friend.

I agree with you -[[I am not sure when she was known as Diane,,,,,perhaps elementary school) I think it was made into more than what it really is for publicity reasons.

Quote Originally Posted by BigAl View Post
    I love this old chestnut!

Her legal name is Diana because of the birth certificate mix-up. In her high school yearbook she was called Diana, as she was on Meet The Supremes, considerably before she hit the big time.

When referring to her in topics of a professional context I call her Diana Ross. In topics of a more personal context I usually refer to her as Diane. When I first heard her introduce herself as Diane on the Copa album I just got the impression that she went by that name, using Diana only for professional purposes. [[You must admit it has a more profession/glamorous ring to it.)

Having followed her career and personal life almost since the beginning, I tend to think of her as an old, familiar friend, even though she's not, my having actually met her only twice. For me, referring to her as Diane is not a term of derision, but of endearment. I see no difference between that and the fact that my most of oldest friends invariably call me Al, but others call me Allan. [[I just let people call me whatever they're comfortable with, so this is always flexible. Some people don't like to use diminutives.) If I were to introduce myself to Diana Ross, I would introduce myself as Al, merely because of my long history as a fan, and, by extension, a kind of friend.