[REMOVE ADS]

Martha Reeves "Queen For A Day" n Sweden

Martha was Queen of Sweden for the day when she performed at the historic Berns Concert Hall in Stockholm on Saturday, January 8.

Berns dates back to 1863. Everyone from Maurice Chevalier to Ella Fitzgerald to Aretha and even the Supremes [[1968) have played there.

The event was even covered on Swedish national television, and heavily photographed.

Some of the greatest photos are by Amun-Re Runninghorse, an old fan from the Bronx living in Stockholm. Re is a noted singer and photographer. you can just click here :http://runninghorse.cc/photos/Martha/.
    Last edited by loveblind; 01-11-2011 at 08:06 PM.

topdiva1 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by loveblind View Post

Martha was Queen of Sweden for the day when she performed at the historic Berns Concert Hall in Stockholm on Saturday, January 8.

Berns dates back to 1863. Everyone from Maurice Chevalier to Ella Fitzgerald to Aretha and even the Supremes [[1968) have played there.

The event was even covered on Swedish national television, and heavily photographed.

Some of the greatest photos are by Amun-Re Runninghorse, an old fan from the Bronx living in Stockholm. Re is a noted singer and photographer. you can just click here :http://runninghorse.cc/photos/Martha/.

Martha Reeves looks stunning in this picture - the best I have seen of her recently. Do you have any more of these photos to share?

Thanks for posting.

Martha is looking GREAT!

smark21 Guest
    Here's a clip of her performing in Sweden.

That's what's up.

topdiva1 Guest
    Still doin it - still Martha - still great!!!!

Not so great anymore... she should find herself an excellent voice tutor asap. Diana and Mary did a more sensible job on that point.
    To me Martha sounds like she's over the top for good. Doesn't even seem to care how shrill she sounds: her breathless singing hurts my ears.
    Last edited by robbert; 01-11-2011 at 10:55 PM.

One our true living legends! Thanks Smark21.

Martha Reeves looks stunning in this picture - the best I have seen of her recently. Do you have any more of these photos to share?

Thanks for posting.[/QUOTE] Here are her latest publicity stills...hope you enjoy!

Last edited by loveblind; 01-12-2011 at 01:15 AM.

Martha a Queen

I was one of the fans at the totally filled BERNS this great Saturday evening. A mix of all kinds of people from 20 and up to us fans from the 60íes.
    The show started 30 minutes late and Martha told us that this did happen due to that Lois was so delayed at the airport and arrived to Berns just 45 minutes before showtime.
    A wonderful Martha told us that she was going to sing all the hits and the songs we wanted to hear as this was her first visit in Sweden, and she did. Close to an 2 hour show she was dancing singing and talking. Fantastic to have this energy when turning 70 next year.
    I was amazed to hear all the younger people sing a long not only in Heatwave and Dancing...
    During saturday evening the TV news had Martha´s show as one of the headlines. And Monday TV did air a 10 minute interview with filmclips. The papers have GREAT reviews too.
    Thank you Martha for taking your time after the show to come out to talk to us fans, signing memorabilia we brought and giving us warm true MotownQueen hugs.

iconicpuff Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by smark21 View Post
    Here's a clip of her performing in Sweden.

Goodness gracious me! What a cacophonic, banshee-esque, shrieking, wailing, ear-splittingly-bad performance.
    My eyes bled, my ears bled and my grandchildren threw themselves out of the upstairs window.
    Poor Lois and Delphine! They are martyresses and must surely wear industrial strength ear-plugs!
    Again, Goodness gracious me!

LOL that's funny, but probably true. Looking good is one thing, Martha sounding good these days is something else. Martha and Yoko Ono have a lock on the banshee style of shriek rock.

topdiva1 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by iconicpuff View Post
    Goodness gracious me! What a cacophonic, banshee-esque, shrieking, wailing, ear-splittingly-bad performance.
    My eyes bled, my ears bled and my grandchildren threw themselves out of the upstairs window.
    Poor Lois and Delphine! They are martyresses and must surely wear industrial strength ear-plugs!
    Again, Goodness gracious me!

WOW! Your grandchildren threw themselves out of the upstairs window - what sacrifices we make.

Please stop the mad low - drama.

topdiva1 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by loveblind View Post

Thanks for posting.
    Here are her latest publicity stills...hope you enjoy!

Great photos - Martha at nearly 70 - looking fabulous!!!!!!

[/QUOTE]

Martha has not lost her voice my brother told me not too long ago he was on the bus with her to some gig they were going to play and he heard her singing with one of her records on the radio in her normal tone! He told me he doesnt understand why she uses this shrill voice when she can sound much better than some performers her age.

topdiva1 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by stephanie View Post
    Martha has not lost her voice my brother told me not too long ago he was on the bus with her to some gig they were going to play and he heard her singing with one of her records on the radio in her normal tone! He told me he doesnt understand why she uses this shrill voice when she can sound much better than some performers her age.
    Thanks for clarifing that!!! I am sure she is still great.

smark21 Guest
    When I saw her at BB Kings this summer her best vocal performance was My Baby Loves Me. She sang in her lower register and it was perfect for that song and I wish she would use it throughout her performance. At least her stage presence, the aura that history and the Motown legend have given her and her often humorous stage banter still make her an act worth catching.

It comes off better live in person. when your'e watching stuff taped on camcorders and such, the sound quality is a bit skewed. Haven't you all cringed at what your voices sound like on portable recording units? It makes you sound mid-rangey and strange.

iconicpuff Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by topdiva1 View Post
    WOW! Your grandchildren threw themselves out of the upstairs window - what sacrifices we make.

Please stop the mad low - drama.
    I live in a play-house, dear! It wasn't such a huge plummet for them!

I am very happy that Martha had so much success visiting Sweden last week. We've been good friends for many,
    many years and she is coming to Florida in May--Ocala at the Top of the World Communities Theatre.
    It's already posted on her calendar at www.marthareeves.com.

Well, I must admit she does look good here, the best I have seen in years.

I am thrilled to see the clip of her performance, but probably one of the few suggesting she sounded pretty good. She really can work that stage. Even after leaving Detroit, I always have the good luck of running into her in the Rennaissance Center. I was having a drink at with customers at Andiamos before the hockey game and out comes Martha with her staffers [[when she was serving on the city council) ! She is always very polite and such a good listener. It was interesting how her staffers immediatley backed off when she came over to talk, they certainly knew the routine. What I always admired is her wit, she is pretty darn smart.

As far as here voice is concerned, I thought the recent clip of her singing [[think it was I'll Be There) in the downtown restuarant when she was being interviewed was good. There is a link somewhere on this board.

Thanks so much Loveblind!!!!

jon

..I dont know how she sounds these days but she looks stunning in these pictures..a true survivor...whats her autobiography like? is it worth me searching out a copy? I would like to read her story..is it a good book?

I enjoyed reading her book, especially learning about her family and growing up in Detroit. She got down to business evidenced by discussing group issues and dealing with the Motown machine.
    jon

I will be seeing Martha tonight at the Rrazz Room in San Francisco. She played there last year and her show was excellent. Once her voice warmed up she sounded pretty good and she does sound much better in person that when you hear the clips on YouTube. There is a quality that is lost with those types of clips.

topdiva1 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by motownlover1964 View Post
    I will be seeing Martha tonight at the Rrazz Room in San Francisco. She played there last year and her show was excellent. Once her voice warmed up she sounded pretty good and she does sound much better in person that when you hear the clips on YouTube. There is a quality that is lost with those types of clips.
    Great can you please give us a review of her show. ENJOY!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by detmotownguy View Post
    I am thrilled to see the clip of her performance, but probably one of the few suggesting she sounded pretty good. She really can work that stage. Even after leaving Detroit, I always have the good luck of running into her in the Rennaissance Center. I was having a drink at with customers at Andiamos before the hockey game and out comes Martha with her staffers [[when she was serving on the city council) ! She is always very polite and such a good listener. It was interesting how her staffers immediatley backed off when she came over to talk, they certainly knew the routine. What I always admired is her wit, she is pretty darn smart.

As far as here voice is concerned, I thought the recent clip of her singing [[think it was I'll Be There) in the downtown restuarant when she was being interviewed was good. There is a link somewhere on this board.

Thanks so much Loveblind!!!!

jon
    Yankee? I thought that was you! I am going to beat you up! Where have you been? LOL!

Quote Originally Posted by nomis View Post
    ..I dont know how she sounds these days but she looks stunning in these pictures..a true survivor...whats her autobiography like? is it worth me searching out a copy? I would like to read her story..is it a good book?
    My mother, sister and brother saw Martha with the Vandellas this past summer and they all enjoyed it and said she sounded fine.

Hi Marv:
    Yes it is me and nice to see you! Running into Martha in the Ren Cen is what I miss most after leaving the Motor City. I hope Dave Bing can do great things for the city. But we all know, it is all about the money so i hpe he does not get caught up in that mess. Anyway, back to Martha. I still like that clip of her in that downtown restuarant where she sort of went after that guy-she was sharp as a tack! It was so damn funny. I would never mess with Miss Martha. Lastly, I thought she sounded really good considering in was an interview in that small cafe.

jon

Last edited by loveblind; 01-14-2011 at 01:40 PM.

topdiva1 Guest
    ^nice look

Martha is one of the few Motown acts that has not forgotten what Miss Powell and Cholly Atkins taught her. She can really work a stage and you can tell she is an old school performer who has her steps worked out.

Quote Originally Posted by detmotownguy View Post
    Hi Marv:
    Yes it is me and nice to see you! Running into Martha in the Ren Cen is what I miss most after leaving the Motor City. I hope Dave Bing can do great things for the city. But we all know, it is all about the money so i hpe he does not get caught up in that mess. Anyway, back to Martha. I still like that clip of her in that downtown restuarant where she sort of went after that guy-she was sharp as a tack! It was so damn funny. I would never mess with Miss Martha. Lastly, I thought she sounded really good considering in was an interview in that small cafe.

jon
    Good! I'm glad it's you. There are some really great things starting to happen in Detroit and people are going to be quite surprised at the rebirth of the Motor City!

Yeah that clip of Martha being interviewed by that character Charlie LeDuff. He thinks he is a real tough guy. He almost got beat up! LOL! She sounded great impromptu and darn near singing acapella.

topdiva1 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    Good! I'm glad it's you. There are some really great things starting to happen in Detroit and people are going to be quite surprised at the rebirth of the Motor City!

Yeah that clip of Martha being interviewed by that character Charlie LeDuff. He thinks he is a real tough guy. He almost got beat up! LOL! She sounded great impromptu and darn near singing acapella.
    I am hoping for a major rebirth for the Motor City - as it was once one of the best cities in the USA.