[REMOVE ADS]

The guitar of curtis mayfield

This is something i've wondered about for some time now,we all know that curtis played guitar as well as sing and write,but just how good was he besides his playing on his songs and others?is there anything written about his guitar playing prowess??

topdiva1 Guest
    When you say Curtis Mayfield - you have spoken of a genuis.

Quote Originally Posted by topdiva1 View Post
    when you say curtis mayfield - you have spoken of a genuis.
    that doesn't answer my question!

topdiva1 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by arrr&bee View Post
    This is something i've wondered about for some time now,we all know that curtis played guitar as well as sing and write,but just how good was he besides his playing on his songs and others?is there anything written about his guitar playing prowess??

Let me do some research on this - sorry I did not answer your questions.

I read something about Curtis Mayfield starting out playing acoustic guitar, which led to his early strumming or understated chording on many Impressions hits. Curtis used open tuning on his guitar, which I think involves tuning the strings of a guitar so that chords can be played without fretting. He tuned or played guitar in F Sharp. cURTIS' PLAYING WAS QUITE SIMILAR TO pOPS STAPLES'. Somehow, i think Pops was an influence on Curtis. I'm not a muscian so maybe one might explain it better than I. But curtis played a lot of simple chords in the Impressions. His playing grew more free or experimental after 1968--noticeably after Jimi Hendrix took rock music by storm and Dennis Coffey unleashed his wah wah effects on Cloud Nine. Curtis' guitar playing was not flashy, but he was an influence on guitarists like Eric Clapton and Bob Marley.
    Last edited by Motown_M_1056; 01-11-2011 at 10:11 PM.

Motown M, I hadn't thought of the line you drew between Pops & Curtis but I think you're on to something.

Quote Originally Posted by motown_m_1056 View Post
    i read something about curtis mayfield starting out playing acoustic guitar, which led to his early strumming or understated style of playing. Curtis used open tuning on his guitar, which i think involves playing certain notes or keys--like only the black keys on a piano. He tuned or played guitar in f sharp. Curtis' playing was quite similar to pops staples'. Somehow, i think pops was an influence on curtis. I'm not a muscian so maybe one might explain it better than i. But curtis played a lot of simple chords in the impressions. His playing grew more free or experimental after 1968--noticeably after jimi hendrix took rock music by storm and dennis coffey unleashed his wah wah effects on cloud nine. Curtis' guitar playing was not flashy, but he was an influence on guitarists like eric clapton and bob marley.
    good info motown_m thanks,keep it coming more!!!

Open tuning, as opposed to standard tuning, is when the guitar is tuned to a specific chord, so if you strum the strings without fretting that chord will sound. Chording shapes in general are easier. This usually creates a more distinct style if a person uses a certain open tuning all the time. Slide players almost always use open tunings.

One of the well known uses of open chord tuning is Keith Richard's use of open G on songs like Honky Tonk Women and Start Me Up, which you cannot play correctly in standard tuning.

Quote Originally Posted by john_c View Post
    Open tuning, as opposed to standard tuning, is when the guitar is tuned to a specific chord, so if you strum the strings without fretting that chord will sound. Chording shapes in general are easier. This usually creates a more distinct style if a person uses a certain open tuning all the time. Slide players almost always use open tunings.

One of the well known uses of open chord tuning is Keith Richard's use of open G on songs like Honky Tonk Women and Start Me Up, which you cannot play correctly in standard tuning.
    Thanks John C. I WAS CLOSE BUT COULDN'T EXPLAIN IT LIKE YOU DID. It explains why some of Curtis' earliest songs used the same chords or had the same sound. I can see the relation between Curtis & Pop Staples. BOTH used open tuning. And Pops and the Staples were from chicago. I would bet he and curtis crossed paths very early on.

topdiva1 Guest
    Great and informative post - THANKS!!!!!

On the subject of Curtis Mayfield, his song, UM UM UM UM UM UM by Major Lance is being used in a current TV commercial for Kraft. It's always nice when this happens. It lets you know his music is still alive. Regarding his guitar playing, did Curtis play on some of early Impressions' hits like Gypsy WOMAN and It's All Right?

Curtis is playing guitar on both "Gypsy Woman" and It's Alright."

Here's one of my favorite songs from Curtis Mayfield. [[Listen very carefully to his guitar playing. )

Last edited by GeeTee(HPK); 01-12-2011 at 06:02 PM.

If nobody ever wrote about Curtis method or playing ,you would still know when you heard it ,that that was Curtis. The same applies to Jimi , Ernie Isley ,Wes Montgomery ,George Benson ,B.B. King , Waters ,Watson ,James , Robert Johnson ,Clapton , Tarplin ,etc etc. I know I didn't respond to the question as it was intended ,but my mind just went there. :d

Here's another great example of Curtis's guitar playing influence.