[REMOVE ADS]

Whats your favourite Marvin Gaye song?

...mine has to be "Soon I'll Be Loving You" from the I Want You deluxe sessions..that singing sends chills down my spine..he starts off sort of delicate and soft and by the end of the track hes soaring and weaving through notes and patterns,,I think this was Marvin at his true genius..love Whats Goin On LP but "Soon I'll Be Loving You" is the one for me..right gotta play it now..

Quote Originally Posted by nomis View Post
    ...mine has to be "Soon I'll Be Loving You" from the I Want You deluxe sessions..that singing sends chills down my spine..he starts off sort of delicate and soft and by the end of the track hes soaring and weaving through notes and patterns,,I think this was Marvin at his true genius..love Whats Goin On LP but "Soon I'll Be Loving You" is the one for me..right gotta play it now..

You just got that Marvin rarities CD. There are too many MPG favorites to list. But a few I really like are Mojo Hanna from On Stage: Reccorded Live; So Long from MPG; One of These Days from How Sweet It Is and Ain't That Peculiar [[the mix included on Rhino's Top R&B Hits from 1965.
    I also like Baby, I'm Glad Things Worked Out So Well, both the reggae mix and the original version on Lost & Found.
    Last edited by Kamasu_Jr; 01-08-2011 at 11:44 AM.

"Where are we headed" is becoming a fast favorite of mine and I just love the instrumental of God Is Love" [[the longer version) and his vocals there.

^ You mean "Where Are We Going".

But yeah I love that one.

Right now my favorite MG song [[and there's A LOT) is "All the Way 'Round".

Lets get it on
    Got to give it up

I Want You 'Round

Quote Originally Posted by midnightman View Post
    ^ You mean "Where Are We Going".

But yeah I love that one.

Right now my favorite MG song [[and there's A LOT) is "All the Way 'Round".
    That was the song I meant *embarrassed* I just did'nt know what the actual title was. Thanks for correcting me.

Here's a little sample right off the top, Marvin is one of my favorite artists :

All The Way Around / nice blend of old & new Marvin

One that I rarely play and in truth it had to grow on me was "Distant Lover Live!" which like Got to Give It Up was so overplayed it almost became redundant

If I Should Die Tonight/ very poignant

Come Get To This & I Want You

My Last Chance/ Til Tomorrow Comes :vintage Marvin

Although it was one of Marvin's biggest sellers Sexual Healing to me was just so, so.......

I have a lot of favorite Marvin Gaye songs, but if I had to pick just one it would be "Pride and Joy". It just has a great bounce/rhythm to it, lyrics and superb vocals. It also holds a lot of memories of family parties, the park all those fun things that went on as kids. I could play it now for a room full of neighborhood people and get a reaction!

God is Love and I Want You

Baby Don't You Do It
    Little Darlin' [[I Need You)
    It Don't Take Much To Keep Me
    Loving You Is Sweeter Than Ever
    Try My True Love
    What's Happening Brother
    Too Busy Thinking About My Baby
    God Is Love
    Only A Lonely Man Would Know
    This Love Starved Heart Of Mine

Quote Originally Posted by candykamaine View Post
    That was the song I meant *embarrassed* I just did'nt know what the actual title was. Thanks for correcting me.
    You're welcome.

All The Way round from the deluxe sessions is pretty unbeatable to...

Sanctified Lady
    Whats Going On
    Lets Get It On
    Your Precious Love with Tammi
    Special Part Of Me with Diana

Sorry its Marvin ....how can I have just one favorite song

Any one who tells you they have a favorite Marvin Gaye song is LYING!!! But my favorite album is "What's Going On"!

Can I Get A Witness
    Ain't That Peculiar
    One More Heartache
    That's The Way Love Is

Four is as close as I could get to one!

miss_lish Guest
    My Mistake [[Was to Love You)

Pledging My Love

I Wish It Would Rain
    That's The Way Love Is [[from MPG)

I can see young Brad likes the MPG album too. Good boy!

Quote Originally Posted by jboy88 View Post
    Any one who tells you they have a favorite Marvin Gaye song is LYING!!! But my favorite album is "What's Going On"!
    There's too many songs to be called favorites. The guy had like 60 hits and some 60 other great album tracks! LMAO!

Name:  av-5.jpg
Views: 625
Size:  21.1 KB
    Stubborn Kind of Fellow

I agree with midnightman but right now I am listening to "Ain't That Peculiar" a lot.

It would be like choosing my favorite day of my life. There are so many to choose from that were beautiful that I cannot deny that I loved the others. Can you pick a favorite sunset? Sunrise?

jtf1972 and Midnightman - no one is picking tracks from Here My Dear or The CBS years so all his work is not as popular as other eras - If you cant pick a song you like you can leave this thread alone - Midnightman Im not impressed with your post and your attitude in it I dont write smarmy comments on your threads so give me the common courtesy in return asking what song you like the most of Marvins was a reasonable question..if people want to list their favourite few thats fine I just wanted to discuss Marvins music so you go and sneer at some thing else...

I LOVE "Take This Heart of Mine."

It makes me wanna holler throw up both my hands! Inner City Blues I can listen to this way more than Lets get it On. Second favorite the theme from Trouble Man.

Hitchhike
    Mercy Mercy Me
    What's Happening Brother

I Want You

Toss up: You're a Wonderful One & Take This Heart of Mine. I guess I prefer vintage Marvin.

Quote Originally Posted by mike_sku View Post
    Toss up: You're a Wonderful One & Take This Heart of Mine. I guess I prefer vintage Marvin.

Great choices Mike. I almost selected "You're A Wonderful One" as top favorite.

Quote Originally Posted by theboyfromxtown View Post
    I Wish It Would Rain
    That's The Way Love Is [[from MPG)

I can see young Brad likes the MPG album too. Good boy!
    Thanks John, it reminds me of the soaring backing section in the break of IWIWR.
    TTWLI is imo a better, more adult production than Grapevine. Prefer the stereo version on MPG to the mono mix on th album TTWLI.

I prefer to seperate Marvin before and after What's Goin On.
    In my terms: Marvin with The Motown Sound and Marvin with Marvin Sound.

Before: Ain't That Peculiar
    After: ["...It's too late for you and I..."] from Let's Get It On... forgot the title!

Hi Marv:
    "Wonderful One" certainly has that early Motown sound filled with emotion; backgrounds are good too! Are the Supremes or Vandellas on background?
    jon
    Last edited by detmotownguy; 01-10-2011 at 01:57 PM. Reason: spelling

Take This Heart Of Mine......does it to me EVERY time..His so cool vocal... Also Abraham, Martin & John....SOUL ....Paulo xxx

Try It Baby

I can't say I'm surprised that no one's gone for "Grapevine"

smark21 Guest
    Hard to pick one, but I'll go with "Right On", but "Trouble Man", "Distant Lover [[live)", "Can I Get a Witness" and "If I Could Build My World Around You" [[w/Tammi) as very close runner ups.

As some stated it's hard to pick just one but for me the cool mellow gem from[66] [pretty little baby] does it for me,followed very closely by[you] just good singing from the marvelous one!!

There are far too many great ones to have a favorite. One of my favorite moments was hearing what I considered to be an obscurity, You're the One For Me from Moods of Marvin Gaye, as filler on a television show. Until then, I thought I was the only one who had a thing for this song.

topdiva1 Guest
    Ain't That Peculiar and Chained.

And the list cannot end there - because it is MARVIN!!!

too many but...

I've been obsessing over "Just To Keep You Satisfied". Never realized that song went so far back.

I knew that Marvin had produced two Originals singles but didn't realize there were 4 other tracks until recently when I bought an Originals comp that included Just To Keep You Satisfied. I love their version of this song. Which made me go back to Marvin's. The deluxe Let's Get It On has three versions of it! So, in my obsession, I decided to make a sequence of the various versions starting with the Monitors [[from 68), progressing to the great version of the Originals [[from 70) on the Very Best Of comp. Then followed it with the original Let's Get It On version [[from 73). And finally the acapella version on the deluxe edition.

It's an amazing sequence and in a weird way it chronicles the dissolution of the Marvin/Anna [[who has a co-writing credit on the tune) marriage in 4 tracks. The Monitors version is so full of young[[ish) love and energy. The Originals - so burning with the intensity of love; beautiful interplay of voices [[and I swear Marvin is in there, too). The "official" Get It On version where the bloom is clealy off the rose and the acapella version which is so desolate. Excuse me for going on about this but I find it such a moving track and love the way Marvin kept tinkering with it over the course of 5 years.

But nobody can have one favorite Marvin Gaye song so on other days it may be:

Can I Get A Witness - I was 12 when this came out and it drove me crazy! And it still does.

One More Heartache - really unusual song, really unusual sound and great smoldering record

When Did You Stop Loving Me When Did I Stop Loving You - this track is a masterpiece; the song just keeps on unfolding like a mobius strip until he hits you with the title on the last line. It hits on both an emotional and musical level.
    Last edited by treborij; 01-12-2011 at 11:20 AM. Reason: a couple of typos

Quote Originally Posted by robbert View Post
    I prefer to seperate Marvin before and after What's Goin On.
    In my terms: Marvin with The Motown Sound and Marvin with Marvin Sound.

Before: Ain't That Peculiar
    After: ["...It's too late for you and I..."] from Let's Get It On... forgot the title!
    Of course, Just To Keep You Satisfied... how can I forget?

Marvin made so many great tracks it's hard to pick one, but if pushed I'd plump for Inner City Blues.

Wink Re: Whats your favourite Marvin Gaye song?

Mine are "Got to Give it Up" and "Trouble Man." I always wondered if that question would be asked on the Forum.

Quote Originally Posted by detmotownguy View Post
    Hi Marv:
    "Wonderful One" certainly has that early Motown sound filled with emotion; backgrounds are good too! Are the Supremes or Vandellas on background?
    jon
    I think this question may have got missed.

That was the souper duper Supremes on that one.....see if you can hear Florence sing "one" in "Wonderful ONE".

Quote Originally Posted by robbert View Post
    Of course, Just To Keep You Satisfied... how can I forget?
    You're confusing me now Robbert....Is it "Just to Keep You Satisfeed" or "How Can I Forget"

BTW, there is a third version of "That's The Way Love Is" and it's on that Marvin Gaye blue box collection. It's more akin to the remix of the US 45 with that heavy guitar. The UK went for the wonderful MPG album version.

My fave album is "What's Goin' On?"My favorite songs are "Stubborn Kind of Fella" and "How Sweet It Is[[To Be Loved By You)".

You're What's Happening in the World Today. Most underrated Marvin song by a long distance and his best. Its got everything- the gospel, the motown sound, the production and man can you dance to it. Wonderful song.

Stubborn Kind Of Fellow
    Can I get A Witness
    It Takes Two [[With Kim Weston)
    Too Busy THinking About My Baby
    The entire first side/half of the "What's Going On" album, both the original Detroit mix and released version + "Inner City Blues"
    Trouble Man
    Let's Get It On
    I Want You
    After The Dance
    Got To Give It Up
    the entire "Here My Dear" album