[REMOVE ADS]

Bette Midler in "The Rose"..what a performance

god its a good movie..Bette made a stunning movie debut..she was on fire..I was touched all over again by this wonderful performance so many great scenes..Harry Dean Stanton telling her shes trash then smashing the guy in the truck with the bottle..the diner scene which echoes that infamous time Diana Ross went to get pizza and faced the racists..you feel how drained she is by the lifestyle..returning to her corner store and the guy not realising shes a singer..the emotinal blackmail from the manager with spookily echoes her own relationship with manager Aaron Russo at the time...her waking up on the plane not knowing where she is and crying to the tragic end..god she should have got the Oscar for that film over Sally Field any day..its a tour de force

One of my favorite movie scenes of all time is from The Rose. Towards the end when she gets off the helicopter and then performs "Stay with me". That whole concert scene[[especially "Stay with me") gives me chills. "Mammas home, mammas home".

For years, the death scene in The Rose disturbed me. It was so tragic, but inevitable. The way her eyes just rolled back in her head and she collapsed. It was just horrifying, too real. Bette Mdler gave a great performance, but I can see why Sally Field beat her for the Oscar. Field's role in Norma Rae was more triumphant, Midler played a loser.Still some of my favorite quotes come from The Rose: ";Hey, ain't you Paul Newman? and "All these god damn clouds look alike."'
    Last edited by Motown_M_1056; 01-08-2011 at 05:11 PM.

The premiere of Bette's new show in Vegas was just aired on HBO. The Divine Ms. M is still a skilled, professional performer. The special will air again in about an hour, through out the month and on-demand [[Comcast). Anyone who can, catch it. It's 90 minutes well spent.

She has always been an exceptional live performer...

smark21 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by chidrummer View Post
    The premiere of Bette's new show in Vegas was just aired on HBO. The Divine Ms. M is still a skilled, professional performer. The special will air again in about an hour, through out the month and on-demand [[Comcast). Anyone who can, catch it. It's 90 minutes well spent.
    HOw's her voice? I remember seeing her sing on TV a couple of years ago and she sounded awful.

The Rose scared me. I can remember feeling exhausted after watching that film Bette was true to life in this one.

that exactly how i felt Steph...exhausted the only other movie that has done that to me is They Shoot Horses Dont They ?