[REMOVE ADS]

Thread: A song survey

A song survey

I started a survey on Facebook and I wanted to share it here as well. What are your top five favorite songs that were made before you were born?
    Last edited by timmyfunk; 06-16-2013 at 08:04 AM.

Name:  av-6.jpg
Views: 341
Size:  19.6 KB
    Do you mean favourite song that was written before we were born, or favourite recording made before we were born?

I think he means recordings made, robb...
    Good Lord, Tim, I could be here all day long listing but since I don't have that kind of time
    today I'll leave you with one right now:
    He Beeped When He Should Have Bopped- Dizzy Gillespie featuring Alice Roberts.
    Incidentally I may be one of the few people in the world who loved Alice's performance
    of that tune as over the years I've read hundreds of reviews that attacked it. Literally.
    Louis Armstrong, Ella Fitzgerald, Duke Ellington [[with featured vocalists) and Billie Holiday
    recorded dozens of favorites of mine, hell I'll even have to throw in Fred Astaire's Slap That Bass!...

Definitely recordings Robb_k.

The original post has been edited. I would like your top five.

Timmy, mine would include:

It' All In the Game - Tommy Edwards
    Fever - Little Willie John
    Don't Let Go - Roy Hamilton
    Lonely Teardrops - Jackie Wilson
    There Goes My Baby - The Drifters.

This was harder than I thought it would be. There are so many recordings I like that were around before I was.......

As always this list is subject to change every hour but I'm going to give it a try...

All That Meat And No Potatoes- Fats Waller
    Let's Do It- Ella Fitzgerald
    Caldonia- Louis Jordan
    Fine And Mellow- Billie Holliday
    Do You Know What It Means To Miss New Orleans- Louie Armstrong

then again in my head it's changing right now because my internal radio just started up
    Louie Prima's Just A Gigalo....this is too hard, lol....

There are lots of recordings made before I was born. I'd have to think about it.

"Stardust" - Hoagy Carmichael
    "My Reverie" - varous artists
    "Body & Soul" - Louis Armstrong
    "All The Things You Are" - Artie Shaw
    "Shine" - Louis Armstrong

This was easy for me since I posted these favorites on my Facebook page last week after discussing the early jazz era with Eugene Pitt.

~~Mary~~

"You'll Never Know" ~ Alice Faye
    "When Did You Leave Heaven" ~ Bing Crosby
    "Stardust" ~ Hoagy Carmichael
    "I'm Afraid The Masquerade Is Over" ~ Lil Green
    "Good Morning Heartache" ~ Billie Holiday

S.S.

Could be an interesting list depending on the age of each respondent. 'Thriller' by Michael Jackson, for example, might be 'before they were born' for some people. So far it may be the more mature members replying For me [[assuming classical music is allowed):

On The Sunny Side Of The Street - Tommy Dorsey
    Choo Choo Ch'boogie - Louis Jordan
    Skyliner - Charlie Barnet
    Rachmaninov's Piano Concerto No 2
    Joaquin Rodrigo's Concerto de Aranjuez [[often known as the 'Guitar Concerto')

The only song that I am certain would be on my list is "Goodbye Pork Pie Hat". I have to seriously think about the other four. There are an incredible amount of songs to consider.

"If I Didn't Care" - The Ink Spots - 1939. This was a tremendously influential record that set the wheels in motion for a music style that eventually evolved into doo wop.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9QeOTzExXT8

"Caledonia" - Louis Jordan - 1946. This song has been covered by many artists, including two of the most acclaimed blues artists of all time, Muddy Waters and B.B. King.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5LxmxVFoyOc

"Stormy Monday" - T-Bone Walker - 1948. This song has been covered by everyone, black or white, who has ever attempted to play the blues during the last 65 years.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uz1sm3emUnQ

"Rocket 88" - Jackie Brenston and His Delta Cats- 1951. This song, regarded by many as the first rock and roll record, was the first national hit to come out of Sam Phillips' Sun Studios in Memphis [[several years before Elvis set foot in the place). Although credited to Brenston, this was actually recorded by Ike Turner and his Kings of Rhythm, of which Brenston was a member.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gbfnh1oVTk0

"Sixty Minute Man" - Billy Ward and the Dominos - 1951. During a tribute to newsman Ed Bradley after his death, fellow journalist Steve Kroft noted that Bradley liked to sit in with Jimmy Buffett and his band to perform "Sixty Minute Man." Kroft pointed out that the song has nothing to do with journalism. It's also impossible for any mortal man.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OpQuNY3XFI0
    Last edited by Nothing But Soul; 06-16-2013 at 03:56 PM.

I can't do just five.

I can't do it either. I'm also not certain if Tim meant jazz or standards or rhythm & blues and rock n roll recordings made before my birth year 1977.

Tim didn't specify a genre or format and even if he had I'm almost sure it wouldn't have
    been Rock and Roll unless it was the black roots. As I said prior to listing five off the top of my head favorites ,mine were subject to change every hour [[in fact they already have) but
    I participated to keep some interest in the forum active. He did say songs which I assume
    meant preferably with vocals, so as much as I too like Rachmaninov as well as Bach, Debussy, Handel,Shubert, Dvorak and epecially Chopin unless one of those cats stepped up
    to the front of a stage and let a song go out of the hearts, I wouldn't list them here.
    Kam, I keep forgetting how young you are because your online presence is very mature
    but if you were born in 1977 there are peak generation soul, R&B and funk acts who had
    success before you dropped on the scene. Hell, the roots of hip-hop are older than that!
    Dang!....

No need to get that cerebral about it, Kam. Your top five favorite songs regardless of genre. That's all she wrote.

Maybe I'll do albums next. That would really be a head scratcher.

I hope my favorites don't seem immature compared to everyone else's. But as Splank said those were peak years for soul & R&B. So here goes. My Guy - Mary Wells , There's Always Something There To Remind Me- Lou Johnson, My One and Only Love- Nancy Wilson or Johnny Hartman, Ain't that Peculiar - Marvin Gaye and Respect- Aretha Franklin. I'll hear some recording and my choices will change.
    Last edited by Kamasu_Jr; 06-16-2013 at 07:03 PM.

Top 5

Smile- Charlie Chaplin
    Iv'e Got You Under My Skin- Cole Porter
    Somewhere Over The Rainbow- Judy Garland
    Eternally- Theme From Limelight- Charlie Chaplin
    Some Enchanted Evening- Rodgers and Hammerstein

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    Timmy, mine would include:

It' All In the Game - Tommy Edwards
    Fever - Little Willie John
    Don't Let Go - Roy Hamilton
    Lonely Teardrops - Jackie Wilson
    There Goes My Baby - The Drifters.

This was harder than I thought it would be. There are so many recordings I like that were around before I was.......
    Name:  av-5.jpg
Views: 259
Size:  21.1 KB
    Gosh, Marv, I thought you were older than that! You're just a kid! those songs were out in my prime.

I'll have to list mostly pre-War [[WWII) songs to qualify. I can't even use my favourite songs from The '40s!!!

1) Stormy Monday Blues-T-Bone Walker
    2) Terraplane Blues-Robert Johnson
    3) Junker's Blues-Champion Jack Dupree
    4) Baby Please Don't Go-Big Bill Broonzy [[1935 version)
    5) Me and My Chauffeur-Memphis Minnie [[1934 version)

It's tough to choose-there's also a lot of Jazz I like an also Gospel from 1930-1945 [[and, of course, a lot more Blues as well)..
    2)

Robb, If Marv was born in 1960 or even 1963, that would make him around 50 years old. Some people do lie about their age. 50 Is considered a senior age in the US. You can get a membership in the AARP at 50. Lol. Nothing wrong with being 50. My dad turns 59 this year.
    Last edited by Kamasu_Jr; 06-17-2013 at 06:38 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kamasu_Jr View Post
    Robb, If Marv was born in 1960 or even 1963, that would make him around 50 years old. Some people do lie about their age. 50 Is considered a senior age in the US. You can get a membership in the AARP at 50. Lol. Nothing wrong with being 50. My dad turns 59 this year.
    Cut it out Kam! You heard him.........I am just a kid! LOL!!!!

Somehow, I knew this thread would touch upon the subject of age. LOL!

- Hittin' the Jug - Gene Ammons
    - Don't Go To Stangers - Etta JONES [[not James)
    - I Love Paris - Billie Holliday
    - Minnie the Moocher - Cab Calloway
    - Rock Around the Clock - Bill Haley and the Comets

1. Temptations - My Girl [[1964) 2. Mary Wells - My Guy [[1964) 3. Martha Reeves & the Vandellas - I'm Ready For Love [[1966) 4. Marvin Gaye & Tammi Terrell - If This World Were Mine [[1967) 5. Mary Wilson - Pick Up The Pieces [[1979). Myself, born in 85', meaning I could mention disco, funk, electro, or new wave, but am first and foremost a Motown maniac, and sing along to them often outta nowhere, just because they make me feel good, almost every day.
    Last edited by Ngroove; 06-18-2013 at 12:30 PM.

It's All In The Game-Tommy Edwards
    Tossin' and Turnin-Bobby Lewis
    Fever-Little Willie John
    What I'd Say-Ray Charles
    Harbor Lights-The Platters

Smoke Gets In Your Eyes - The Platters
    Lonesome Town - Rick Nelson
    You Send Me - Sam Cooke
    Stand By Me - Ben E King
    Will You Love Me Tomorrow - The Shirelles