[REMOVE ADS]

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Only Love Can Conquer All - Diana Ross

One of the best songs she has ever recorded - I truly wish this would have been included in her shows.

Quote Originally Posted by captainjames View Post
    One of the best songs she has ever recorded - I truly wish this would have been included in her shows.

This was Diana's personal favourite song from TMH, and i can well understand why. She did perform it on one of her UK shows , but i do not recall her performing it live ever again.

A big mistake from Motown not to release and move that song.

A big mistake from Motown not to release and move that song.
    We did consider it but i was overuled and we went with the beautiful but uncommercial "gone"

When I saw her in 1995 and 1996, ONLY LOVE... was part of the set list. I think it is a great song [[that whole cd is full of great songs), but I don't think of it as a single. Perhaps if it was a bit faster.

Quote Originally Posted by reese View Post
    When I saw her in 1995 and 1996, ONLY LOVE... was part of the set list. I think it is a great song [[that whole cd is full of great songs), but I don't think of it as a single. Perhaps if it was a bit faster.
    Yes when I saw her at the Universal Amphitheater in 1995 she performed this song.

I think that Take me higher was one of Diana Ross strongest 90's releases. That along with Force behind the power were big hits in the UK along with her number one collection One Woman

It amazing that even today the songs are still current. On this particular video Diana lets her background singer finish the song which brings it to a even better climax.

It amazing that even today the songs are still current. On this particular video Diana lets her background singer finish the song which brings it to a even better climax.
    Her name is Teresa Griffin. For quite a while, she sang background for Jerry Butler.

Take Me Higher should've been a better seller here than it was. Motown really dropped the ball on its promotion. It's one of the label's - and Miss Ross' - finest efforts to date, especially in the '90s.

It's interesting how fans musical tastes differ. This was always my least favourite song on the album. I don't dislike it by any means, just enjoy the other songs more.. I could never imagine this being a hit single.
    "Let Somebody Know" is a little gem to my ears and shouild never have been left off the UK version.
    I never really understood why the rap was removed on"Dont Stop" for the USA version. It really adds to the song. As regards promoting Diana, Motown really were clueless at this point in time.

In Detroit, she brought a local choir onstage to perform the song with her. It was the first encore of the show and the song lasted much longer than the length of the actual recording. The audience really responded to the lyric and it's message. The choir added to the overall emotion. A good concert memory. This was a month prior to the CD's release...

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyB View Post
    In Detroit, she brought a local choir onstage to perform the song with her. It was the first encore of the show and the song lasted much longer than the length of the actual recording. The audience really responded to the lyric and it's message. The choir added to the overall emotion. A good concert memory. This was a month prior to the CD's release...
    She did the same when I saw her in concert in 1995 and 1996. Both times, the set list was heavy on songs from TAKE ME HIGHER and they all got a great response.

In 1995, I saw Diana a month before the cd's release and loved all of the new songs she sang, particularly IF YOU'RE NOT GONNA LOVE ME RIGHT, VOICE OF THE HEART, and I THOUGHT THAT WE WERE STILL IN LOVE. But at the time, I thought it was a mistake to sing so many songs that the average concertgoer couldn't go right out and buy. I'm sure Diana tried to align touring dates with the release date from Motown, and commitments had to be made. But I think the cd might have done better if the tour dates had started a month or so later.

She did the same when I saw her in concert in 1995 and 1996. Both times, the set list was heavy on songs from TAKE ME HIGHER and they all got a great response.

In 1995, I saw Diana a month before the cd's release and loved all of the new songs she sang, particularly IF YOU'RE NOT GONNA LOVE ME RIGHT, VOICE OF THE HEART, and I THOUGHT THAT WE WERE STILL IN LOVE. But at the time, I thought it was a mistake to sing so many songs that the average concertgoer couldn't go right out and buy. I'm sure Diana tried to align touring dates with the release date from Motown, and commitments had to be made. But I think the cd might have done better if the tour dates had started a month or so later.
    I'm jealous; I had "Golden Circle" tickets to see her at The Meadows in Connecticut for this tour...and she cancelled. At least I got the money back. Those tickets were a pretty penny.

Quote Originally Posted by sansradio View Post
    I'm jealous; I had "Golden Circle" tickets to see her at The Meadows in Connecticut for this tour...and she cancelled. At least I got the money back. Those tickets were a pretty penny.
    That's too bad. In 1995, Diana was scheduled for one night in my town and due to overwhelming response, a second night was added. Of course, I went to both. In 1996, she came back for one show, which I went to. The next day, one of my best friends called and asked did I want to see her that night. It turned out that Diana was doing a benefit that evening for the Anti-Defamation League and my friend was given a pair of tickets. She thought of me, and I got to see Diana again.

Agreed! If the audience could have purchased the CD the day after the shows, while the songs were still in their minds, it may have done better. Only Love, Voice Of The Heart and I Thought We Were got such good responses, and I WIll Survive had the entire house dancing in the aisles.

I adore "only love" , one of her best "message song" like she says. the only problem is that it is rather similar in theme as "let somebody know", another great song.

Quote Originally Posted by Albator View Post
    I adore "only love" , one of her best "message song" like she says. the only problem is that it is rather similar in theme as "let somebody know", another great song.
    TMH had many wonderful outtakes and remixes. I reckon the expanded version will be a double cd if we are to do the album full justice.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebrock View Post
    TMH had many wonderful outtakes and remixes. I reckon the expanded version will be a double cd if we are to do the album full justice.
    Bluebrock, you've mentioned a potential expanded edition of TMH several times. Are you teasing us or throwing hints? You've piqued my curiosity...

Was that an actual release?

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    Was that an actual release?
    Yes . It was on TAKE ME HIGHER.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyB View Post
    Bluebrock, you've mentioned a potential expanded edition of TMH several times. Are you teasing us or throwing hints? You've piqued my curiosity...
    All i shall say is watch this space, and make sure that space is sufficient for three other possible expanded editions.........

Wow ............

Quote Originally Posted by bluebrock View Post
    all i shall say is watch this space, and make sure that space is sufficient for three other possible expanded editions.........

Wow ............
    That would be awesome!!

Quote Originally Posted by vgalindo View Post
    That would be awesome!!
    Wouldn't it just?

You now have Diana fans chomping at the bit Bluebrock.
    If such a thing could, might or did happen, would you surmise that there could or perhaps be a physical release of these cd's or would it be download only.

All i shall say is watch this space, and make sure that space is sufficient for three other possible expanded editions.........
    Yes please!!

Quote Originally Posted by Ollie9 View Post
    It's interesting how fans musical tastes differ. This was always my least favourite song on the album. I don't dislike it by any means, just enjoy the other songs more.. I could never imagine this being a hit single.
    "Let Somebody Know" is a little gem to my ears and shouild never have been left off the UK version.
    I never really understood why the rap was removed on"Dont Stop" for the USA version. It really adds to the song. As regards promoting Diana, Motown really were clueless at this point in time.
    I'd have to agree with everything Ollie says.

I can't see that Only Love Can Conquer All could have been a hit single.

Let Somebody know is better than most of the other tracks and it's somewhat puzzling why it was decided to leave it off the UK release.

There does seem to be a lot of love for this album amongst the fans here but it's not one of my favourites even though Diana is in good shape vocally. It's certainly not a bad album, solid and there's not a duff track on it but most of the songs - the ballads in particular - lack that killer punch.

Diana does a storming version of I Will Survive but unfortunately it's just a fact of life that the song will forever be associated with Gloria Gaynor. Familiarity plus a strategic plug on the UK's National Lottery Show gave the record a modicum of success.

To me the one chance of being a hit UK single was Voice Of The Heart.

Looking at the statistics you would think this was a big UK hit album reaching #10 in the charts but this rather misleading. It actually didn't sell that well. Most of Diana's fans went out and bought it in the first week of release which enabled the high position but it then dropped very quickly only charting for 3 weeks in total and is one of only a few of Diana's albums which didn't reach at least Silver status in the UK. It was outsold by To Love Again and did less than half of Baby It's Me which some how failed toeven make the top 50 Album Chart at all - go figure.

Have to say I loved "Gone", it really took me back to the "Touch Me In The Morning" years. I was pretty sure it would be massive in the UK.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xAVkHXEBG7c

My partner loved "Only Love Can Conquer All" but it was definitely "Gone" for me. Although "Voice Of The Heart" was great too.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1735972560001093/

Wayne

PS - The expanded editions sound great...

Diana's fans say so that this album is great that in the end, they are convinced by that. In spite of a strong promo this album didn't do well in the USA, but also in UK and Japan. There must be something wrong with it. What ? I don't know.
    Last edited by Albator; 09-24-2016 at 02:48 PM.

You now have Diana fans chomping at the bit Bluebrock.
    If such a thing could, might or did happen, would you surmise that there could or perhaps be a physical release of these cd's or would it be download only.
    Most definately physical Ollie!

Diana's fans say so that this album is great that in the end, they are convinced by that. In spite of a strong promo this album didn't do well in the USA, but also in UK and Japan. There must be something wrong with it. What ? I don't know.
    Are you trying to say that if an album fails to sell then it must not be of a good quality? So many classic albums did not get the sales they warranted. DUSTY IN MEMPHIS immediately springs to mind, and on the other side of the coin look at [[or listen) to the quality of albums by the likes of Britney, Katy Perry. They sell by the bucketload, but are they good musically? Not to these ears the're not. TAKE ME HIGHER is one of Diana's best ever albums in my opinion. As to why it did not sell well we could speculate on all night, but it's not because of the lack of quality on display.

"The Force Behind The Power" and "Take Me Higher" remains some of the best work performed by Diana. They always end up on my player.

Are you trying to say that if an album fails to sell then it must not be of a good quality? So many classic albums did not get the sales they warranted. DUSTY IN MEMPHIS immediately springs to mind, and on the other side of the coin look at [[or listen) to the quality of albums by the likes of Britney, Katy Perry. They sell by the bucketload, but are they good musically? Not to these ears the're not. TAKE ME HIGHER is one of Diana's best ever albums in my opinion. As to why it did not sell well we could speculate on all night, but it's not because of the lack of quality on display.
    No ... But like Florence wrote :

There does seem to be a lot of love for this album amongst the fans here but it's not one of my favourites even though Diana is in good shape vocally. It's certainly not a bad album, solid and there's not a duff track on it but most of the songs - the ballads in particular - lack that killer punch.
    I also think "take me higher " and "I will survive" are good but nothing more.

I also remember being unhappy with her appearance at that time. There was something wild or aggressive in her make up and hair but she didn't push the concept far enough. She did no "sequins tv" in the video and US promo and it worked very well. Then, very soon she went for her usual stage persona and glamour and something was wrong.

This is very subjective but this is what I remember thinking at that time.

"The Force Behind The Power" and "Take Me Higher" remains some of the best work performed by Diana. They always end up on my player.
    Spot on Captainjames. Two of her finest albums in my opinion. I know i am biased because i was working with her at the time and i got to see the lady from all angles, much of which i cannot share here. Diana herself believed in these albums , i believed in these albums , and the hardcore fans certainly did.
    The expanded versions will be even better.

No ... But like Florence wrote :

I also think "take me higher " and "I will survive" are good but nothing more.

I also remember being unhappy with her appearance at that time. There was something wild or aggressive in her make up and hair but she didn't push the concept far enough. She did no "sequins tv" in the video and US promo and it worked very well. Then, very soon she went for her usual stage persona and glamour and something was wrong.

This is very subjective but this is what I remember thinking at that time.
    Diana was sporting a much shorter hair style at the time, but i really don't think anyone would consider that aggressive hair styling . Makeup wise i thought she went for a slightly more au naturale look on tv appearances to promote the album.
    I think the majority of fans see it as one of her better albums while reviews, at least in the UK were all positive As Bluebrock mentions, we could debate all day as to why it did not do better. It's just one of those things...One of those bells that now and then rings.
    Last edited by Ollie9; 09-25-2016 at 08:44 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by florence View Post
    I'd have to agree with everything Ollie says.

I can't see that Only Love Can Conquer All could have been a hit single.

Let Somebody know is better than most of the other tracks and it's somewhat puzzling why it was decided to leave it off the UK release.

Diana does a storming version of I Will Survive but unfortunately it's just a fact of life that the song will forever be associated with Gloria Gaynor. Familiarity plus a strategic plug on the UK's National Lottery Show gave the record a modicum of success.

To me the one chance of being a hit UK single was Voice Of The Heart.

Looking at the statistics you would think this was a big UK hit album reaching #10 in the charts but this rather misleading. It actually didn't sell that well. Most of Diana's fans went out and bought it in the first week of release which enabled the high position but it then dropped very quickly only charting for 3 weeks in total and is one of only a few of Diana's albums which didn't reach at least Silver status in the UK. It was outsold by To Love Again and did less than half of Baby It's Me which some how failed toeven make the top 50 Album Chart at all - go figure.
    Thanks for the stats Florence.... Interesting reading. I guess BIM has sold well over time.
    I do think TMH did really well to reach such a high position on the UK charts even if did fall away quite quickly. I never thought VOTH a possible hit but then again i thought TMH [[single) would go big. As most of us do realise, hit singles do not necessarily make for quality music which i think TMH contains in abundance.
    Last edited by Ollie9; 09-25-2016 at 08:40 AM.

Diana was sporting a much shorter hair style at the time, but i really don't think anyone would consider that aggressive hair styling . Makeup wise i thought she went for a slightly more au naturale look on tv appearances to promote the album.
    I think the majority of fans see it as one of her better albums while reviews, at least in the UK were all positive As Bluebrock mentions, we could debate all day as to why it did not do better. It's just one of those things...One of those bells that now and then rings.
    She looked stunning at this time. I was with her when she embarked upon a promotional tour of the USA. She performed the title track on Letterman, and IF YOUR NOT GONNA LOVE ME RIGHT on Jay Leno. She did great performances of both , and i cannot understand where the "aggressive hair styling" comment came from. Having just watched the performances again this comment mystifies me.

Thanks for the stats Florence.... Interesting reading. I guess BIM has sold well over time.
    I do think TMH did really well to reach such a high position on the UK charts even if did fall away quite quickly. I never thought VOTH a possible hit but then again i thought TMH [[single) would go big. As most of us do realise, hit singles do not necessarily make for quality music which i think TMH contains in abundance.
    Ollie - I thought TMH the single would go top 10. I even considered releasing a slightly different mix as the follow up to I WILL SURVIVE in the hope we could finally get it into the top 10, but other commitments got in the way of that plan. It was a fine uplifting tune that deserved far better.

mpn1jco Guest
    Ollie - I thought TMH the single would go top 10. I even considered releasing a slightly different mix as the follow up to I WILL SURVIVE in the hope we could finally get it into the top 10, but other commitments got in the way of that plan. It was a fine uplifting tune that deserved far better.
    There would be no airplay for Ross or hit albums in the US regardless of what she put out.

There was a very strong backlash against Diana Ross starting in the mid to late eighties in the US. When Red, Hot Rhythm and Blues was released a friend of mine said, "No one cares about Miss Ross anymore. There are love goddesses out there like Anita Baker, Sade, and Whitney Houston that the public wants to hear not Ross. Indeed - with them selling millions and Ross struggling to sell over 100, 000 copies. Then someone else said, she gave us Dirty Looks, and we gave them right back!

I've noticed that she is finally come out of this dark cloud. I knew this when she received a standing ovation at the Grammys. She will be remembered as an amazing legend.

It does rather seem it was a waste of Diana's time and energy trying to promote the album in the USA. They were never going to bite. I guess she longed for recognition from her homeland.
    In hindsight [[which is easy) "I Will Survive" should have been the lead single on both sides of the pond to generate as much interest as possible. Having said, who would have thought TMH would fail as a single.
    I like the idea of repromoting TMH with a different mix after the success of IWS. It just might have worked.
    Perhaps the huge mistake in the UK was not airing the exciting promo video on TOTP. It's a video that lingers in the mind. Diana singing live from the motown museum or anywhere else would not have quite the same impact.
    Last edited by Ollie9; 09-25-2016 at 02:29 PM.

mpn1jco Guest
    It does rather seem it was a waste of Diana's time and energy trying to promote the album in the USA. They were never going to bite. I guess she longed for recognition from her homeland.
    In hindsight [[which is easy) "I Will Survive" should have been the lead single on both sides of the pond to generate as much interest as possible. Having said, who would have thought TMH would fail as a single.
    I like the idea of repromoting TMH with a different mix after the success of IWS. It just might have worked.
    Perhaps the huge mistake in the UK was not airing the exciting promo video on TOTP. It's a video that lingers in the mind. Diana singing live from the motown museum or anywhere else would not have quite the same impact.
    When Marvin Gaye, the Jacksons, and Stevie Wonder took creative control of their career they created masterpiece after masterpiece. When Ross took creative control of her career she trashed her recording career with mediocre and subpar product.

I remember reading that the ballads that Whitney Houston had success with in the eighties were meant for Diana Ross, but since Ross had to have control in the studio, Michael Masser would not work with her.

The planets were always aligned to get Ross back on track but she has proven herself to be her worst enemy. Luther wanted to produce RHRB but she refused. Clive Davis was the only one to bring her back to superstardom, but she had to have creative control, hence I Love You.
    Tyler Perry had written a movie for her, and there would be an accompanying soundtrack album. Ross refuses to take his calls.
    Ross said on the final Oprah show that she would like to be recording a new album but they won't let her. O.k, yeah.
    Last edited by mpn1jco; 09-25-2016 at 09:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mpn1jco View Post
    There would be no airplay for Ross or hit albums in the US regardless of what she put out.

There was a very strong backlash against Diana Ross starting in the mid to late eighties in the US. When Red, Hot Rhythm and Blues was released a friend of mine said, "No one cares about Miss Ross anymore. There are love goddesses out there like Anita Baker, Sade, and Whitney Houston that the public wants to hear not Ross. Indeed - with them selling millions and Ross struggling to sell over 100, 000 copies. Then someone else said, she gave us Dirty Looks, and we gave them right back!

I've noticed that she is finally come out of this dark cloud. I knew this when she received a standing ovation at the Grammys. She will be remembered as an amazing legend.
    Cher said something about that. I can't quote but it was something like "there is a moment when, no matter what you do, how good you are, people don't want to hear from you anymore". You need time

mpn1jco Guest
    Cher said something about that. I can't quote but it was something like "there is a moment when, no matter what you do, how good you are, people don't want to hear from you anymore". You need time
    In the US, when an artist is on the cusp of, or turns 40, they are put out to pasture. Ross turned 40 in 85. Eaten Alive was released in 85 when her time was up. Chain Reaction was not going to be a hit in the US. Whitney Houston was no exception to this rule. Starting with her greatest hits album in 2000, she would not reach the top 40 again [[ with the exception of a rerelease of the Star Spangled Banner ).
    Here are the singles with chart pop chart placings:
    52 "Could I Have This Kiss Forever"[
    "Same Script, Different Cast"
    "Whatchulookinat"
    72 "One of Those Days"
    84 "Try It on My Own"
    70 "I Look to You"
    100 "Million Dollar Bill"

Ross had a longer run as a hit maker than Whitney did. When that moment in time arrives, as Cher said, it is important to diversify.
    Ross should have reinvented herself as an actress, but this was basically impossible because she has to have creative control. Ross' ego never ceases to amaze me. Without Berry Gordy to reign her, in she sabotages her career. At this point I expect nothing from her except some expanded editions, which she is apparently disinterested in anyway.

It is also true for Olivia Newton John and Donna Summer at the same time. But it is also true that those ladies made disastrous artistic choices ruining their public images.

For some reason, I couldn't see Diana doing Masser songs like "You're Still My Man", "Greatest Love of All" and/or "Saving All My Love"... I know of the Masser song both of them did under different titles tho: "Hold Me"/"In Your Arms".

Thanks you guys for all your info - Diana did not do much to help her career by wanting creative control but a lot of times you have to do that in order to remain grounded and focus, otherwise you will become "eaten alive" [[no pun intended) or a puppet. I believe "Mirror Mirror", "Missing You", "Work That Body" and 'Muscles" were all 80's recordings and I think they did fairly well. She did a song from her "Its My Turn" which the title escapes me right now which I thought was beautifully done, recorded and produced by Michael Masser but, went no where. No one stays "Hot" forever but Diana has survived and I still think "Only Love Can Conquer All" was a hidden diamond.

mpn1jco Guest
    Thanks you guys for all your info - Diana did not do much to help her career by wanting creative control but a lot of times you have to do that in order to remain grounded and focus, otherwise you will become "eaten alive" [[no pun intended) or a puppet. I believe "Mirror Mirror", "Missing You", "Work That Body" and 'Muscles" were all 80's recordings and I think they did fairly well. She did a song from her "Its My Turn" which the title escapes me right now which I thought was beautifully done, recorded and produced by Michael Masser but, went no where. No one stays "Hot" forever but Diana has survived and I still think "Only Love Can Conquer All" was a hidden diamond.
    Diana was still big in the early 80s. [[ all were top 10 except Work That Body which reached 44 )
    Mirror Mirror 82
    Work That Body 82
    Muscles 82
    Missing You 84 [[ her final top 10 and top 40 entry )

Age 40 and on chart placing in the US :
    Eaten Alive 77
    Chain Reaction 95
    Chain Reaction Remix 66 [[ her final top 100 entry )

The follow up singles from It's My Turn produced by Michael Masser . They deserved their fate.
    Just One More Chance #79 [[ 1981 )
    Crying My Heart Over You 1981 [[ did not chart )

Quote Originally Posted by mpn1jco View Post
    When Marvin Gaye, the Jacksons, and Stevie Wonder took creative control of their career they created masterpiece after masterpiece. When Ross took creative control of her career she trashed her recording career with mediocre and subpar product.

I remember reading that the ballads that Whitney Houston had success with in the eighties were meant for Diana Ross, but since Ross had to have control in the studio, Michael Masser would not work with her.

The planets were always aligned to get Ross back on track but she has proven herself to be her worst enemy. Luther wanted to produce RHRB but she refused. Clive Davis was the only one to bring her back to superstardom, but she had to have creative control, hence I Love You.
    Tyler Perry had written a movie for her, and there would be an accompanying soundtrack album. Ross refuses to take his calls.
    Ross said on the final Oprah show that she would like to be recording a new album but they won't let her. O.k, yeah.
    You make some very valid points here, and I agree with virtually all that you say. She shot herself in the foot on more than one occasion, and ultimately it killed her career in the USA.

Cher also went back into the studio to record an album that was created by someone else. She says she just went in and recorded what they gave her and it turned out to be Believe, one of her best recordings. Sometimes you have to let others have a bit of control as long as you trust them to begin with.