[REMOVE ADS]

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Trying to do that dance..the Uncle Willie. But I only seem to get to 7......can't get to 8!

Wonder why!

LOL

Got mine yesterday and what a delight it is; enjoyed it from start to finish. Thanks to all involved.

A nice surprise was the number of unknown Smokey Robinson songs. "Somebody's Daughter Oughta" is a great little tune.

p.s. Somebody should find out what really happened to Billy Gordon.

BFX, please check your medical insurance before attempting step number 8! You could do irreparable damage to your, uh, bicycle ...

And I agree with you on "Tonight". They were such a versatile group, they got really stuck in a groove with the dance material, it's such a shame that magical stuff like this was just put to one side. Makes you wonder what else there is hidden down there in the vaults.

However, despite Joe and Sylvester's comments, I still have a soft spot for Minnie!
    Last edited by keith_hughes; 03-29-2011 at 04:10 AM.

Keith

I wasn't aware that there was a medical insurance that could make me straight!

Quote Originally Posted by wichmanne View Post
    Got mine yesterday and what a delight it is; enjoyed it from start to finish. Thanks to all involved.

A nice surprise was the number of unknown Smokey Robinson songs. "Somebody's Daughter Oughta" is a great little tune.

I love this cd too and especially that track.

Are there any of the Contours still touing? Wouldn't it be great to get them over to promote this release, along with Richard Street to promote the Monitors anthology, Maybe even if it was the Motown Weekender in Prestatyn.

my favourite is Smokey's "Oh What a night it was"

Quote Originally Posted by wichmanne View Post

wichmanne- Billy Gordon died in 1999, he was in a nursing home in Detroit.

Frankly, I thought the Contours' CD didn't come alive for me until track #22. The last five songs are the best ones to me. The Contours' strength was dance tunes in my opinion. I liked the liner notes.
    Last edited by Kamasu_Jr; 04-01-2011 at 05:48 PM.

Have to agree somewhat with Kamasu. Haven't yet got fully into the CD but it is early days. The CD picks up towards the end for me. The booklet is fabulous though.

Quote Originally Posted by mysterysinger View Post
    Have to agree somewhat with Kamasu. Haven't yet got fully into the CD but it is early days. The CD picks up towards the end for me. The booklet is fabulous though.
    A couple of the tracks from '63 are OK too, namely Seesaw, Cross Fire, and Party Groove, but the last five tracks from '64 are hot. Dinah is a stomper! Wish they could hae been in Stereo.

Kamasu

In the space of a few hours, you've changed from liking only 5 tracks to 8.

Keep playing it, my friend!

HA HA

Quote Originally Posted by theboyfromxtown View Post
    Kamasu

In the space of a few hours, you've changed from liking only 5 tracks to 8.

Keep playing it, my friend!

HA HA
    I listen for tracks that sound as if they could have been released or slotted into an album.. And only 8 or so tracks fit the bill, to my ears. The others were either DOA [[Dead on Arrival) or just plain hokey [[Minnie the Ugly Duckling?).

Kamasu

It grew on me..pretty quickly too! *Smile*

Quote Originally Posted by theboyfromxtown View Post
    Kamasu

It grew on me..pretty quickly too! *Smile*
    Some people like looking at bug-eyed bull frogs while others like to look at the pretty swans.

Just got my copy from Amazon [[US) so anxious to hear it this weekend. Beautiful packaging and booklet as always from Ace/Kent.

My copy, too, just arrived yesterday. I've only had a chance to give it an initial listen, while absorbed in reading the superb booklet.
    The info was great but left me with a question- In the write-up for "Party Groove', it is stated that there are seven Sylvester Potts/Mary Wells compositions in the Jobete catalogue. In addition to 'Party Groove', five others are listed.
    What is the un-named seventh song?

I'm not at home to check, but I thought all seven were mentioned. Have you included Mary Wells' "Have a Little Patience"?

From my cd booklet: [[1)[[Party Groove)-"This seems to be the earliest of seven songs by Sylvester and Mary Wells in the Jobete catalogue; the others are [[2) 'Boy Meets Girl' [in this collection], [[3) 'Give It Up' by the Temptations, and [[4) 'Have A Little Patience', together with the as yet unreleased [[5) 'I Found Someone New' and [[6) 'Free From Your Spell', all by Mary Wells. Sylvester says he and Mary wrote the lyrics and somebody else wrote the tunes, but no other names appear on the Motown paperwork for the songs.
    Is this the same information contained in other's cd booklet or do other's booklets list seven song titles?

Quote Originally Posted by pj1 View Post
    From my cd booklet: [[1)[[Party Groove)-"This seems to be the earliest of seven songs by Sylvester and Mary Wells in the Jobete catalogue; the others are [[2) 'Boy Meets Girl' [in this collection], [[3) 'Give It Up' by the Temptations, and [[4) 'Have A Little Patience', together with the as yet unreleased [[5) 'I Found Someone New' and [[6) 'Free From Your Spell', all by Mary Wells. Sylvester says he and Mary wrote the lyrics and somebody else wrote the tunes, but no other names appear on the Motown paperwork for the songs.
    Is this the same information contained in other's cd booklet or do other's booklets list seven song titles?
    Well, you have a more astute eye than I do. Mine says the same thing and I never noticed that was only 6 songs. Maybe one of the folks from Ace can ask the annotator and let us know what the other song was.

Thought some may like to see this . . .
    And for the 1965 to 1967 one here's the URL to my Flickr.com pages
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/a_tom/5...in/photostream
    Attachment 2828

RossHolloway Guest

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Stone Diamond View Post
    Thought some may like to see this . . .
    And for the 1965 to 1967 one here's the URL to my Flickr.com pages
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/a_tom/5...in/photostream
    Attachment 2828

So does this mean what I think it means? That there is a Volume 2 on its way?! That is exciting news. I just ordered this cd last week and can't wait for it to get here!

I hope so, and hope this gives them a nudge in the right direction, I'm sure it would sell.

pj1 and others: oh dear, you have drawn attention to one of my fatal weaknesses: I can't count! There are SIX Potts-Wells songs in the Jobete Catalog. Apologies.

The Annotator.

I just wanted to say a big thanks to KENT for this great collection. Superb sound quality and a booklet that proves CD's are not dead - downloads can go take a [[hitch) hike! I don't love everything on this cd - but I DO love having the opportunity to hear it.
    Can't you spot Smokey's songs a mile off? Motown heaven!!

I agree, the sound quality and mastering on this CD is so fresh and new sounding. I love it that they kept the sound of the original mixes. It's amazing how much unreleased material was in the vaults for Kent to choose from. Most of the songs are upbeat and funky but there's definitely a few surprises in there. I even liked the more novelty material...you just have to expect some of that from the Contours. That is probably the material that was much more fun to see them perform live than hear on disc. The booklet is fabulous. It gives the entire history of the Contours, and all its personnel changes, which has always baffled me. I hope that Kent will release another volume of their later material, especially with Joe Stubbs [[though it seems like his tenure was pretty brief) and Dennis Edwards [[although the indication is most of his Contours tracks were scratched and relabeled as Edwards solo material). Regardless, we just have to have it!
    Last edited by kenneth; 04-23-2011 at 12:15 PM.

yes, the sound and liners are really great. i hope KENT can do more on other motown artists or albums yet to be released onto CD.

I love this CD and posted a review of it on Amazon [[US). If I could make a suggestion, to help those in the business who are putting resources into getting this stuff out, fellow members should post some reviews on the Amazon or other commercial sites. I love reading them here, but in a way this is like preaching to the choir. Some good reviews on the commercial sites could help sell copies, which will make everyone happy!