[REMOVE ADS]

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Dance With The Contours

I'm pleased to be able to tell you all that a CD titled "Dance With The Contours" should be available on Ace [[UK) Records at the end of March.

It'll feature 26 fantastic tracks, 24 of which have never been released before. Billy Gordon and his boys will instruct you in the finer points of the Shake, the Limbo, the Monkey, the Jerk, the See Saw and even the Uncle Willie! [[I'll be awarding a complimentary copy of the CD to the first person posting me a vid of them actually doing the Uncle Willie, by the way!)

For those of a more studious disposition, I can say that all the material was recorded during 1963-4 and features the group's original line-up. A full track list will appear here in due course.

And for those of a frankly nerdish persuasion, I can add that although some Motown discographies have actually listed an album with this title, we've not managed to uncover a single piece of original paperwork suggesting such an LP was ever planned, so we've made the track listing up, as we did with "The Satintones Sing!". Nonetheless, we hope you will enjoy it as much as if it were a reissue, and possibly even more.

Meantime, watch this space. With luck and a following wind, "Dance With The Contours" will not be the only Ace/Motown release of 2011. Yes folks, there's more where that came from!

A Happy New Year to dancers everywhere! Up on your feet, now.

Keith

Put me down for a copy right now Mr Hughes! I'll be ordering a copy as soon as it's up on amazon here in the UK. I can't beleive our luck that so many unissued tracks will be used on this really exciting sounding CD. Was Joe Billingslea interviewed for the project?
    And I'll be emailing him to show me how to Uncle Willie as I'm quite used to making a fool of myself on the dance floor!
    What fantastic news at the start of the New Year.

As with my previous email in the Syreeta on FTG thread, this is a fully authorized - and fun - release

This is the one I've been waiting for. It would be great to hopefully have a legitimate recording of "Do the See Saw" [which morphed into Tom & Jerrio's "Boo-ga-loo/ Boomerang] and ""I Can't Stop Dancing" at last.

Fabulous news Keith.
    I hope all Motown fans support this release, and back such issues from Ace etc
    I hope there is something in the "Can you jerk like me" vein.

"Spinning with Spinners" ??
    "Night in with Gladys" ??
    "Hunting with Ivy Jo" ??
    "Marvel at the Marvelettes" ??
    "going Dutch with Eddie" ??

Get a grip on yourself, for goodness' sake, Snakepit! Now, here is the track list:

Can You Do It
    Can You Jerk Like Me
    Do The See Saw
    Foot Stomping Time
    He Couldn't Do The Monkey
    I Don't Want To Talk
    Let's Do The Uncle Willie
    Okey Dokey
    Party Groove
    Shake Everything You Got
    The Limbo Is Here To Stay
    Love Is Uncertain
    Giant Steps
    It Doesn't Have To Be So
    Minnie The Ugly Duckling
    Wanted
    Boy Meets Girl
    Don't You Wanna Go
    Throw You Out Of My Mind
    You Hurt Me So
    You Changed My Life Around
    Tonight
    I Don't Know How Right It Was [[But Ooh What A Night It Was)
    Somebody's Daughter Oughta
    Nobody Fine As Dinah
    I Can't Stop Dancing

And yes, David, Mr Billingslea has kindly consented to be interviewed for the project.

I had the pleasure, while in The Sunliners, to have backed up the Contours a number of times way back in the last century. It was always a blast.

Great news Keith!

Quote Originally Posted by keith_hughes View Post
    Get a grip on yourself, for goodness' sake, Snakepit! Now, here is the track list:

Can You Do It
    Can You Jerk Like Me
    Do The See Saw
    Foot Stomping Time
    He Couldn't Do The Monkey
    I Don't Want To Talk
    Let's Do The Uncle Willie
    Okey Dokey
    Party Groove
    Shake Everything You Got
    The Limbo Is Here To Stay
    Love Is Uncertain
    Giant Steps
    It Doesn't Have To Be So
    Minnie The Ugly Duckling
    Wanted
    Boy Meets Girl
    Don't You Wanna Go
    Throw You Out Of My Mind
    You Hurt Me So
    You Changed My Life Around
    Tonight
    I Don't Know How Right It Was [[But Ooh What A Night It Was)
    Somebody's Daughter Oughta
    Nobody Fine As Dinah
    I Can't Stop Dancing

And yes, David, Mr Billingslea has kindly consented to be interviewed for the project.
    From the list, it looks like nothing but FUNKY GROOVES!

Now that's what I call A Happy New Year! Great news and something to look forward too in these uncertain economic times here in the UK. Will certainly be ordering asap! Anyone shed any light on information re the "Dance With The Contours" LP which has cropped-up from time to time in discographies etc.

Tantalizing news re other possible releases from Ace during 2011. Wonder who these can be! Any suggestions?

What a fantastic track-listing. Roll on March!

Seems like Ace are concentrating on the earlier Motown catalogue that Universal/Hip-o-select deem to be of little interest to the mass market. However, hopefully it means we can see the likes of Mable John, Sammy Ward and Hattie Littles get some product out, even some compilations of early dancable R&B.

How about an ACE CD in honor of Marv Johnson? Most of his material was released on the United Artists label, but he definitely is a Motown artist. Marv deserves some recognition as he was really great.

bump.....for people not aware of this release

bump - details of this CD are here!!

On the Amazon track listing, "He Couldn't Do the Monkey" seems to have morphed into "He Couldn't Do The Crossfire".

I suspect they actually sing "Crossfire". Amazon must have been listening to the cd....lol

Reminds me of Jimmy Ruffin's "On The Avenue" and/or "In the Neighbourhood".
    Last edited by theboyfromxtown; 02-16-2011 at 08:49 AM.

Does anyone know who did the dance steps for the Contours they were awesome and thanks about the information on this release.

The did all their own steps!

Stephanie
    I'm not sure I can imagine Cholly Atkins or anybody demonstrating those dance steps to the boys! HA-HA

For_ur_info
    Are you able to give any feedback to us from the Contours on this new release?

The cover of this CD is now up on Amazon.co.uk

The Contours worked out their own dance routines: Hubert Johnson [[the bass singer), was their leading choreographer, it seems.

Joe Billingslea and Sylvester Potts' memories of the songs on the CD can be read in the accompanying booklet. Joe seems to have remembered them all, Sylvester's memory was a little hazy in spots.

The Cross Fire / Monkey anomaly is also explained in the booklet.

Quote Originally Posted by theboyfromxtown View Post
    Stephanie
    I'm not sure I can imagine Cholly Atkins or anybody demonstrating those dance steps to the boys! HA-HA

For_ur_info
    Are you able to give any feedback to us from the Contours on this new release?
    They are so far very pleased!

Actually, Billy Gordon[[lead singer) was the main choreographer & Hubert Johnson[[bass singer) taught them how to do the splits.

theboyfromxtown: You are so right, Cholly Atkins couldn't teach them any steps, he said so himself but he did teach them how to enter & exit the stage professionally.
    Last edited by for_ur_info; 02-18-2011 at 09:13 AM.

Is this a song known to SDF posters?.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mw3SNqMitWY

A google search reveals that Tom and Jerry-O took the song from the Contours "Do The See Saw" and put the song out on themselves. The Contours own version is scheduled on this release.

I want to bump this up the list....

Ordered mine from HMV today @ £11.99
    Last edited by 144man; 02-23-2011 at 08:26 AM. Reason: Incorrect price stated.

£11.85 at 'The Hut'. Free delivery also.

http://www.thehut.com/cd/the-contour.../10355208.html

Name:  av-5.jpg
Views: 1529
Size:  21.1 KB
    Pardon me for my lack of knowledge of Internet practises, but I can't see where to click to hear snippets of those songs on that website. ARE there snippets samples of those CD cuts on that site? If so, where do I go on that linked page, to find them? Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by theboyfromxtown View Post
    Is this a song known to SDF posters?.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mw3SNqMitWY

A google search reveals that Tom and Jerry-O took the song from the Contours "Do The See Saw" and put the song out on themselves. The Contours own version is scheduled on this release.
    Berry gordy sued them for using the backing track, and they [[ Tom & Jerrio) didn't make a cent from their record.

WOODWARD... Great news, Marv Johnson is in the compilation stage at the moment I believe

Great news indeed!!!

Get in! Can't wait for this.

I take it The Satintones Sing! did well, for Ace/Kent to be pressing ahead with some more excellent "obscure Motown" CDs?

Very nice to see this coming out; there should be a huge appeal to a segment of the fans. And these days, you can order from all over the world easily.

Currently £8.99 with free delivery at Play. Just ordered mine. Can't wait!

http://www.play.com/Music/CD/4-/1871...rlrefer=search

Phil

It's £8.75 on The Hut...and if I remember correctly, you were the one that referred to me that site!

Quote Originally Posted by lakedistrictlad1 View Post
    Currently £8.99 with free delivery at Play. Just ordered mine. Can't wait!

http://www.play.com/Music/CD/4-/1871...rlrefer=search
    Lake, thanks for the link !

Pre-order. | Due for release on 28 March 2011

John - Yes I put a link for the Hut - but it was £11.85 then. £8.99 at Play is a steal! Amazon must loose so many sales over their postal charge. I always buy from the Hut or Play these days.

I've ordered mine from Amazon - £8.99 free postage

Quote Originally Posted by phil View Post
    Lake, thanks for the link !

Pre-order. | Due for release on 28 March 2011
    I checked Amazon.com today. It said the release date is now April 12th.

That's probably because it is released in the UK. It's still due for release on the 28th at Amazon.co.uk.

just had an e-mail from amazon UK saying it's been dispatched...

Same here - mine is on its way from Amazon UK @ £8.99. Expected delivery tomorrow ... Can't wait!

honest man Guest
    just ordered my copy after seeing thet are on dispatch, although i almost k now i will not play more than once, i convince myself on cds unsure of if i like only one song it is worth the price everything else including booklet is a bonus,, but need-appreciate to support these releases, keep up these great projects lads, cheers

Andy

You will regret it if you don't buy it

Strange...HMV still awaiting delivery from supplier.

honest man Guest
    John i have ordered read post proper,HA. STILL WAITING ON REPLY OF STEVIE I HEAR A SYMPHONY,MATE ,remember,cheers.

arrived this morning. I won't be playing it for a few days as it's a present, but the booklet alone is stylish, informative, and well, just classy!

Keith - thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by psychedelic jacques View Post
    arrived this morning. I won't be playing it for a few days as it's a present, but the booklet alone is stylish, informative, and well, just classy!

Keith - thank you.
    I ordered the Contours set through Amazon.UK. I received an email this morning saying it had been dispatched. But it's coming via Royal mail and it still might not arrive at my address until April 12th or April 19th. I don't know why I didn't wait until my usual US music seller had it in stock. I paid around $17.00 US dollars and some change for it according to the currency conversion rate. I didn't save a whole lot.
    Last edited by Kamasu_Jr; 03-26-2011 at 11:03 AM.

I am loving the track "Tonight".