[REMOVE ADS]

Page 4 of 28 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 14 ... LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by waynesville View Post
    I would have posted that if you had not done so! Not just the Supremes' greatest record, but one of the culminating anthems of soul
    I've this song since I first heard it in 1970. When Obama took office, I related the line in the song "and to the man, with the whole World on his shoulders............" to him as we were still in a deep economic crisis Worldwide. The song is timeless. Pray for peace! Amen!

Great selections Marv. Two Motown classics, how amazing was Michael Jackson at that young age and how impressively soulful Jean Terrell was singing those two words "Stoned Love". Pickett is always amazing and thanks haven't listened to this one in awhile.

Quote Originally Posted by Luciano View Post
    Great selections Marv. Two Motown classics, how amazing was Michael Jackson at that young age and how impressively soulful Jean Terrell was singing those two words "Stoned Love". Pickett is always amazing and thanks haven't listened to this one in awhile.
    Michael was amazing. All the kids wanted to sing like him. He was our "Frankie Lymon". Jean Terrell's intro to "Stoned Love" was the sweetest sound Motown ever recorded and I always wonder how Wilson Pickett never burst his vocal chords the way he could scream and shout. LOL!

Hey marv,how right you are and one of the best[m.j.]sound alikes is the great[1972]jam-mama's little baby[brother's love]i would've sworn it was m.j.

Quote Originally Posted by arr&bee View Post
    Hey marv,how right you are and one of the best[m.j.]sound alikes is the great[1972]jam-mama's little baby[brother's love]i would've sworn it was m.j.
    JAI uh huh and remember Brighter Side of Darkness with "Love Jones"?

I know money is the root of all evil, do funny things to some people
    Give me a nickel, brother can you spare a dime
    Money can drive some people out of their minds....

Don't you hear me talking, baby, love me now or I'll go crazyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy!!!!!

Don't you hear me talking, baby, love me now or I'll go crazyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy!!!!!

This was another very popular song that many people would sing along to at my High School back in 1976.

Chaka Khan made that band explode in popularity. Threw down the gauntlet in music and
    made a lot of other women in the business try to step up their game. And thankfully
    she's still here ...

Quote Originally Posted by splanky View Post
    Chaka Khan made that band explode in popularity. Threw down the gauntlet in music and
    made a lot of other women in the business try to step up their game. And thankfully
    she's still here ...
    I remember in my teens in the restaurant were I worked during the high school days, there was some Soul compilations [[Spanish CBS Philly Sound vols. 1 & 2, Atlantic's "Hits & Soul" serie,...) and there was also a compilation by ABC licensed by spanish Movieplay entitled "Ultrasonidos para discotecas" with the bomb "Rufusized"by Rufus feat. Chaka Khan! I think they were pioneers in the style they used synthesizer and the vocoder, I think before than herbie hancock. Anyway, my favorites are "Dance with me" [[the bombastic bass line at the end" and the great deep, screaming vocals by Chaka on "You Got The Love". There was a nice and unique fusion between rock and soul in the seventies [[San Francisco scene, etc.) with people like Sylvia Smith, Cold Blood or the same Rufus that, sadly, never again I have heard after these years...!

Cheers to all.

Quote Originally Posted by splanky View Post
    she's still here ...
    When they made Chaka, the broke the mold! She became the Gold Standard at that point.

Remember a smile is just a frown turned upside down...

Hey marv,you done started something with this soulful post[hehe]i'm goin way back with a classic from the five royals..schoolgirl!!

Hey marv,you done started something with this soulful post[hehe]i'm goin way back with a classic from the five royals..schoolgirl!!
    JAI pretend that I am digging thru my crates LOL! From my Mom's senior year in High School.........

Good memories! "For The Love Of Money" is a greta classic [[the lyrics, the incredible bass - line by the great Anthony Jackson,...). I have heard many covers [[by Thad Jones / Mel Lewis; by Defunkt; by Disco Dub Band,...) but no one like the oNE by The O'Jays on [[IMHO) their best album, "Ship Ahoy". About Michael Jackson on his childhood - teens years... recently, I have had a mascot, a cute gerbil who died at 2,5 years - old, :-[[,... and casually I heard "Ben" by M.J. in the I-Tunes and remember that the lyrics talks about a mouse or rat who died [[I think is from a film soundtrack, ?)... what a mellow feeling,.. I was almost crying!!

Quote Originally Posted by manny View Post
    Good memories! "For The Love Of Money" is a greta classic [[the lyrics, the incredible bass - line by the great Anthony Jackson,...). I have heard many covers [[by Thad Jones / Mel Lewis; by Defunkt; by Disco Dub Band,...) but no one like the oNE by The O'Jays on [[IMHO) their best album, "Ship Ahoy". About Michael Jackson on his childhood - teens years... recently, I have had a mascot, a cute gerbil who died at 2,5 years - old, :-[[,... and casually I heard "Ben" by M.J. in the I-Tunes and remember that the lyrics talks about a mouse or rat who died [[I think is from a film soundtrack, ?)... what a mellow feeling,.. I was almost crying!!
    Manny we went to see the film "Ben" at theater when it was released in 1972.

How bout[sugar dumplin]sam cooke.

How bout[sugar dumplin]sam cooke.
    Hey JAI, now that is a classic! My brother Robert still plays it.

This is my fave from The O'Jays:

Maybe everybody on that "Thank you Ralph" thread should jump on board!!

Marv,i envey the way you post these wonderful songs[keep em comin,hehe]i can't post em but i got a looooong list.

The Temptations with Paul Williams singing lead on this classic Smokey Robinson song. Paul Williams live was just amazing as he adds even more soul...

So if you just put your hand in mine
    We're gonna leave all our troubles behind
    Keep on walking and don't look back....

Here one of my favorites O'Jay's ballads.

I got what you want, you got what I want,
    An' we were made for each other. [[oo-oo)....

One of the great gems and covers by The Marvelettes.

I know you're not sincere and you'll never be
    But still I want your kisses so desperately
    I could never let you go
    Baby even though I know
    Every rule of love you disobey...

I enjoy this song even when it not the holidays. Here is such an underrated gem by William Bell....

Marv,i envey the way you post these wonderful songs[keep em comin,hehe]i can't post em but i got a looooong list.
    That's buddy. Share with us your list of favorites. As you know, mine are all from different parts of my life and have memories attached to each of them.

Before he came to Motown, the great Chuck Jackson.....

Any day now I will hear you say "Goodbye, my love"
    And you'll be on your way
    Then my wild beautiful bird, you will have flown, oh
    Any day now I'll be all alone, whoa

It is always amazing when Gladys tackles someone else song and makes it her own. Although not a huge hit, I think it's one of her best.

Somewhere, someday
    You've gotto take a chance
    If you like the music, baby
    Get up and dance...

It is always amazing when Gladys tackles someone else song and makes it her own. Although not a huge hit, I think it's one of her best.

Somewhere, someday
    You've gotto take a chance
    If you like the music, baby
    Get up and dance...

Oh wow! How did you think of putting this one up? This was one of my very favorites from Gladys & the Pips. It may not have been a huge hit, but it connected with me back in the day.

Luciano, I wished we had our own radio station that broadcast Worldwide! There would be no need for any other stations. LOL! I love your selections. Marv

From[1968]a cute little gem from the fawns-is it too early.

Thanks Marv! I appreciate your comments. You have excellent choices as so many times I have to double check what has been posted. Can't wait for your next selections.

This is a great thread you have created. I have been thinking about making CDs of these awesome selections. Also, what I like is as we all contribute there maybe some songs I am not as familiar with that now I need to add to my collection and hopefully the same for others. That's was part of my thoughts when posting Gladys & The Pips "Part Time Love".

Thanks again Marv!

Four pages... and there's not any track by the fantastic DRAMATICS!! [[i.e. "Whatcha See Is Whatcha Get"; "Drama V";...) :-)

And what about Bunny Sigler's "Let The Good Times Roll", The Futures "Ain't Got Time For Nothing", Intruder's "Cowboys To Girls"...?

Manny, you are right about The Dramatics. I have been meaning to add. Here is one of their biggest songs...

Aretha Franklin - Master Of Eyes [[The Deepness Of Your Eyes) Probably her most powerful, most underrated song that I remember first hearing on the radio in February of 1973. We went out to look for it on an album.
    It was not included on her current album,but released as a single only and what a record it is! She just climbs and climbs until her voice just burst in the heavens.....whew!

Thanks to Luciano for The Dramatic's tracks!

Hey, Marv, more good memories to me with "Life Is A Son Worth Singing" by TP... I purchased this album in Barcelona the same year was published... I got my heart break after a love deception affair these days and because this fact [[or not) I "connected" immediately with "Cold Cold World", perhaps the most mellow tune by TP and the entire PIR catalogue. Of course, the entire LP is pure gold!

Quote Originally Posted by manny View Post
    Thanks to Luciano for The Dramatic's tracks!

Hey, Marv, more good memories to me with "Life Is A Son Worth Singing" by TP... I purchased this album in Barcelona the same year was published... I got my heart break after a love deception affair these days and because this fact [[or not) I "connected" immediately with "Cold Cold World", perhaps the most mellow tune by TP and the entire PIR catalogue. Of course, the entire LP is pure gold!
    Manny , I know what you mean. I also bought the album as soon as it came out in '78. I had broken up with my high school sweetheart and had several young ladies I was interested in and seeing at that time. I would listen to the whole album at least once a week. "Cold , Cold World was a great track.

Great stuff Marv. Loving that Ohio Players song. Nice addition on Aretha! Have never heard that before. Good revisiting Jackie and Teddy's songs.

You are welcome Manny. I still have to post my favorite Dramatics song.

Good question Marv. For me, I don't hate today's music but honestly nothing will be as great.

Great stuff Marv. Loving that Ohio Players song. Nice addition on Aretha! Have never heard that before. Good revisiting Jackie and Teddy's songs.

You are welcome Manny. I still have to post my favorite Dramatics song.

Good question Marv. For me, I don't hate today's music but honestly nothing will be as great.
    Just wait, I have more for you.
    Last edited by marv2; 10-17-2016 at 09:48 PM.

Hey marv,how bout...i cried all the way home-the dramatics,a killer!!!

Hey marv,how bout...i cried all the way home-the dramatics,a killer!!!
    Oh yeah my homeboys! That was when they were calling themselves "Ron Bannks & the Dramatics" that year because of some other group came out as "The Dramatics".

How can i tell mom and dad- the lovelites

How can i tell mom and dad- the lovelites
    Oh yeah I remember that song. It was popular in the Fall of 1969. "My Conscious" was a favorite around my way.

I'd rather be hurt by you-the stylistics

Now moving from Motown to Stax. I can't find a live clip. Too bad.

Otis & Carla.....What you call me......Tramp!

Now moving from Motown to Stax. I can't find a live clip. Too bad.

Otis & Carla.....What you call me......Tramp!

Top track Luciano, Top Track!!!

This is classic and I never get tired of hearing it.

Roberta & Donny....

This is classic and I never get tired of hearing it.

Roberta & Donny....

One of many classics that arrived during the 1977-78 period. "Blue lights in the basement indeed!" LOL!

Peaches & Herb.....

Last edited by Luciano; 10-19-2016 at 08:36 PM.

Two of the most underrated singers.

Patti & James.....

Now heading back to the 60's

Betty & Jerry.....

It's time for some duets.

First up Marvin & Tammi....

Last edited by Luciano; 10-19-2016 at 08:35 PM.