[REMOVE ADS]

Old Ladies Can Still Make it to #1!!

When was Dolly Parton a Motown artist or did anything related to Motown?

Quote Originally Posted by jobeterob View Post
    good for Dolly. Shes a survivor and a great performer.

I thought it was a great good news story from a heritage performer.

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    When was Dolly Parton a Motown artist or did anything related to Motown?
    She recorded a duet with Smokey Robinson in 1987 for her Rainbow album. She also had him and The Temptations on her show that same year. She also recorded two albums with Linda Ronstadt who as we all know in the seventies never met a Motown song she didn't like or record so I'd say shes affliated enough for this forum...

Quote Originally Posted by Glenpwood View Post
    She recorded a duet with Smokey Robinson in 1987 for her Rainbow album. She also had him and The Temptations on her show that same year. She also recorded two albums with Linda Ronstadt who as we all know in the seventies never met a Motown song she didn't like or record so I'd say shes affliated enough for this forum...
    That don't count.

That don't count.
    She went to a Mary Wilson concert. Does that count?

She said she liked Mary over Diana - she's an automatic in!

But then she said "wait a minute, who is this Mary, Mary who?"

That don't count.
    Oh, and she also recorded a cover of the Tops "I Can't Help Myself" for her "Great Pretender LP which gives her the same amount of Motown cred as A Taste Of Honey's cover of "I'll Try Something New" topic that you posted a few days back... if I use your forum posting logic of course...

She is not a Motown artist or was ever even distributed by Motown. You are grasping. Dolly is a well known Country singer. Tom Jones and the Beatles are more related to Motown than she.

Dolly Parton is a living legend and I dont think Ralph will give a darn about us posting about her new hair album. Ralph is the moderator of this here forum so post away about Ms Parton until Ralph tell us differently.

Quote Originally Posted by Roberta75 View Post
    Dolly Parton is a living legend and I dont think Ralph will give a darn about us posting about her new hair album. Ralph is the moderator of this here forum so post away about Ms Parton until Ralph tell us differently.
    Whether or not Dolly is a valid topic for this forum she loves the Motown sound and is a genuinely lovely lady . One of the nicest celebrities i ever had the pleasure to work with. She had me howling with laughter as she joked away with memories of her remarkable career. Personally i am not a mega fan of her music but she is a remarkable lady whom i hold in great respect. You go Dolly!!

She is not a Motown artist or was ever even distributed by Motown. You are grasping. Dolly is a well known Country singer. Tom Jones and the Beatles are more related to Motown than she.
    You got that folks? The master has spoken. Please immediately refrain from mentioning the name Dolly Parton ever again on these pages? You hear me now? If any feeble links with Mary Wilson are ever uncovered she will be reinstated as a major topic on these pages. Everyone fully understand the rules around here? Dolly Parton does not exist anymore. End of story.

honest man Guest
    OK Mary Wilson would love to be Dolly Parton,good enough for Motown Forum hehehhehehee

Dolly says: "As Mama would say, 'I hope you get a blessing out of it'"

I think that each and every one of you is missing the most important point, namely that if Dolly Parton is able to achieve a Number One album in her field at her age, then so can other artists such as Diana Ross and Mary Wilson.

Quote Originally Posted by 144man View Post
    I think that each and every one of you is missing the most important point, namely that if Dolly Parton is able to achieve a Number One album in her field at her age, then so can other artists such as Diana Ross and Mary Wilson.
    Big difference is that Dolly is willing to promote her album worldwide and does so. She does not have any children and her marriage is surrounded in secrecy. Diana is not interested in doing that. She prefers touring locally and spending time with her ever expanding family. She will not commit to promoting an album and whilst shew would love to have a record out she will not agree to the conditions attached.

Dolly Parton's COUNTRY; I don't, but majority of people eats up County; eats up Dolly; just as people eats up Kenny Rogers, Willie Nelson, and Johnny Cash.

Only FEW older generation classic R&B singers, okay, to my knowledge, just ONE in terms of the still living, Stevie Wonder, has maintained top ten billboard charts status, up to the 00s, legendarily reverently enough still to people today.
    Last edited by Ngroove; 09-07-2016 at 06:33 PM.

God, her 2 versions of those Motown songs are so awful it makes me wanna scream & pull my hair out.
    If I ever hear her do them again, it'll be too soon.
    She also did a version of "Save The Last Dance For Me", but although that's also bad it ain't as putrid as her attempt at Motown covers.

honest man Guest
    Give me Tammy Wynette,George Jones anyday.

Quote Originally Posted by honest man View Post
    Give me Tammy Wynette,George Jones anyday.
    Get outta my head, honest man! I kid you not: I am currently reading TAMMY WYNETTE: TRAGIC COUNTRY QUEEN by Jimmy McDonough. Have you? It's a humdinger!
    Last edited by sansradio; 09-08-2016 at 09:16 AM.

honest man Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by sansradio View Post
    Get outta my head, honest man! I kid you not: I am currently reading TAMMY WYNETTE: TRAGIC COUNTRY QUEEN by Jimmy McDonough. Have you? It's a humdinger!
    hey mate read it,brilliant im nearly finished George book now and guess what im gonna play a couple of GJ cd right now in garden,cheers.

Quote Originally Posted by honest man View Post
    hey mate read it,brilliant im nearly finished George book now and guess what im gonna play a couple of GJ cd right now in garden,cheers.
    Good times! Those two had a Marvin-and-Tammi-esque chemistry, for sure.

They were equally off the wall too

Quote Originally Posted by jobeterob View Post
    They were equally off the wall too
    Good Lord, yes.

This is the key to why this is Motown relevant. [[Well, I'm not sure it's relevant to Mary Wilson because she never ever made the Top 100 or the Billboard Top 200 albums other than as a Supreme).

Dolly's Motown covers suck as do most everyone elses. Even Whitney Houston and Aretha Franklin couldn't do a good cover of Diana Ross.

Dolly never stopped recording though. Diana hasn't been in a major recording contract for YEARS. Let it go lol

Quote Originally Posted by midnightman View Post
    Dolly never stopped recording though. Diana hasn't been in a major recording contract for YEARS. Let it go lol
    Add the fact that her voice is shot and she is extremely overweight now.

honest man Guest
    And does she care ,the Lady has made her name in history and will live forever,long may she reign Supreme.

honest man Guest
    And does she care ,the Lady has made her name in history and it will live forever,long may she reign Supreme

Thats real interesting to heard because shes been getting great reviews and theyve all been saying her voice sounds great.

Thats real interesting to heard because shes been getting great reviews and theyve all been saying her voice sounds great.
    So true Roberta her voice is still so good. The last time I saw her that's all everybody at the show was talking about was how good her voice still is and how good she looked!!

Skinny compared to Mary still. And she doesn't have to sing someone else's songs in order to give a concert.

Quote Originally Posted by vgalindo View Post
    So true Roberta her voice is still so good. The last time I saw her that's all everybody at the show was talking about was how good her voice still is and how good she looked!!
    You have to consider the source vgalindo. Hes real obsessed with Diane Ross and loves to hate on her.

Well, her voice seems to be fine enough to fill concert halls with satisfying audience members who pay a fairly large sum to hear and see her.

I've never been a fan of making fun of someone's weight. Do we know all of Diana's health issues. Is she on some kind of medication that causes weight gain. If so, is it not then cruel to make fun of her weight?

Jerry Lewis ballooned tremendously when he had to take medication for health issues. However, no one made fun of him because he publicly stated the reason.
    Name:  jerry.jpg
Views: 227
Size:  7.3 KB

We will probably never know if Diana has health issues because she does not seek publicity or give many interviews.

Quote Originally Posted by milven View Post
    Well, her voice seems to be fine enough to fill concert halls with satisfying audience members who pay a fairly large sum to hear and see her.

I've never been a fan of making fun of someone's weight. Do we know all of Diana's health issues. Is she on some kind of medication that causes weight gain. If so, is it not then cruel to make fun of her weight?

Jerry Lewis ballooned tremendously when he had to take medication for health issues. However, no one made fun of him because he publicly stated the reason.
    Name:  jerry.jpg
Views: 227
Size:  7.3 KB

We will probably never know if Diana has health issues because she does not seek publicity or give many interviews.
    Diane Ross is 73 years old and playing concert halls and large venues all of the country so I doubt and Im speculatting here that her health isnt fine. Every reviewer praise her voice. Shes gained some weight but most folks do when they get older. Shes NOT "extremely" overweight as he claims. Hes the Donald Trump of this here forum. He throws out things like her voice is shot and that Marrbrewster made a racist comment hoping theyll stick just like Trump does with his insane birther stuff about our President or that Hillary Clintons ill.

Both of there actions are despicable.

Diane Ross is 73 years old and playing concert halls and large venues all of the country so I doubt and I'm speculating here that her health isn't fine.....
    I'm in Diana's age bracket and my health is fine too. I take some medications for high blood pressure, etc ) to make sure it stays fine. Sometimes medications have side effects like weight gain.

Almost every one of Diana's [[and my) age, takes some kind of medication to keep us in good health.

I try to refrain from talking about someone's weight It is a bit tacky

Quote Originally Posted by milven View Post
    I'm in Diana's age bracket and my health is fine too. I take some medications for high blood pressure, etc ) to make sure it stays fine. Sometimes medications have side effects like weight gain.

Almost every one of Diana's [[and my) age, takes some kind of medication to keep us in good health.

I try to refrain from talking about someone's weight It is a bit tacky
    Its cruel and classless to make comments on peoples weight. I remember reading somewhere that Mary Wilson has a family member who has battled weight all her life and it causes real pain to both women.

Hes now called Cindy Birdsong fat in another thread. Smh in disgust.

Roberta
    Last edited by Roberta75; 09-10-2016 at 05:32 PM.

Diana's voice is just fine and so is her weight. Can't we keep this conversation civil? Doggone.