[REMOVE ADS]

Thelma Houston biopic as Dinah Wahaington

I just read that Motown planned this movie for her but couldn't get clearance from Washingtons family. Any other info? Thanks

An interesting story that would be.

Quote Originally Posted by luke View Post
    I just read that Motown planned this movie for her but couldn't get clearance from Washingtons family. Any other info? Thanks

That story was first floated back in the 70s.

Also, Thelma was considered to star in a possible Bessie Smith biopic; Aretha and Roberta Flack were said to be in the running as well.

I don't remember anything about a potential Dinah pic, although some people thought there was a vocal similarity between the two. I do remember a story in JET about the Bessie film. There was some sort of press conference where Thelma and some musicians dressed in period clothing and performed some of Bessie's songs.

Thelma's version of "If It's the Last Thing I Do" was a brilliant homage to Queen Dinah. She would have been a marvelous choice to play her.

Quote Originally Posted by sansradio View Post
    Thelma's version of "If It's the Last Thing I Do" was a brilliant homage to Queen Dinah. She would have been a marvelous choice to play her.
    When my dad saw Thelma perform it on American Bandstand, he said she reminded him of Dinah.

Quote Originally Posted by reese View Post
    When my dad saw Thelma perform it on American Bandstand, he said she reminded him of Dinah.
    Big time. The physical and vocal similarities are uncanny.

Quote Originally Posted by reese View Post
    I don't remember anything about a potential Dinah pic, although some people thought there was a vocal similarity between the two. I do remember a story in JET about the Bessie film. There was some sort of press conference where Thelma and some musicians dressed in period clothing and performed some of Bessie's songs.
    The closest Thelma got to playing Dinah Washington was on Motown Return to the Apollo. Check her out at 5:36 of this clip: