[REMOVE ADS]

Just Seven Numbers [[Can Straighten Out My Life)

Remember this one?

I had the mono single version when it came out. I don't remember where I first heard it that made me buy it, but it was about all I played during March of 1971. I remember it so well because it was a very windy month that year.

yea, I always liked that record.

Quote Originally Posted by soulster View Post
    i had the mono single version when it came out. I don't remember where i first heard it that made me buy it, but it was about all i played during march of 1971. I remember it so well because it was a very windy month that year.
    hey soulster,i guess that song just[blew]you away!!!

I had the mono single version when it came out. I don't remember where I first heard it that made me buy it, but it was about all I played during March of 1971. I remember it so well because it was a very windy month that year.
    Great memory Soulster and this record always brings back some good ones for me as well. I got this album after Christmas 1970 and it was my favorite for months.

Quote Originally Posted by motony View Post
    yea, I always liked that record.
    Motony can you imagine if they were making cool, mellow records with real vocals today? something you can kick back and listen after a long day at work?

I love this song too, it's funky but the arrangement is a bit clunky which may have been the reason it didn't fare so well.

I always thought the Changing Times lp is so overlooked. The title track to me was the break out hit. Frank Wilson re-recorded Levi's vocal for the single mix and that should have gone Top 20.

The problem here was that Motown released the lp too soon. The Tops were coming off a massive resurgence with the Still Water lp, one of the finest Motown lps of all time in my opinion. That lp was still selling well after two hit singles and terrific FM airplay when Motown rushed this one out. I could have done without the ticking time clock between the tracks. I just love their version of Raindrops Keep Falling On My Head. I thought Right Before My Eyes had hit potential. I Almost Had Her had also been done by the Jean Supremes.

Thanks, Bayou! I never heard the album and wondered why there was ticking on the beginning of the song. They must have cut the single from the album master.

My take on why it didn't do so well [[it did just hit #40 the Billboard Hot 100) is because it was 1971, and sounded dated, if you consider a few of the records released in that year:

Sugar Daddy - The Jackson 5
    All Day Music - War
    Treat Her Like A Lady - Cornelius Brothers and Sister Rose
    I Gotcha - Joe Tex
    Want Ads - The Honey Cone
    What's Going On - Marvin Gaye
    Mr. Big Stuff - Jean Knight
    Double Lovin' - Osmonds
    Hot Pants [[She Got To Use What She's Got To Get What She Needs) - James Brown
    Don't Pull Your Love - Hamilton, Joe Frank & Reynolds
    Let's Stay Together - Al Green
    Joy To The World - Three Dog Night
    Never Can Say Goodbye - Jackson 5

However, "Just Seven Numbers" did get to #9 on the Billboard Hot 100 Soul Singles. The fact that it didn't do very well on the pop chart was probably one more motivation for the group to leave the Motown label and sign with ABC/Dunhill, where they immediately enjoyed pop success again.

My opinion: the reason why Motown suffered during this period, despite the occasional hit from Marvin Gaye, Stevie Wonder, The Temptations, and The Jackson 5 is because they were kind of stuck. They were still concentrating on manufactured three-minute singles about love, while soul music had progressed. It got younger and funky, and the leadership at the label was stuck in the 60s. They were also starting to lose some major artists, or were threatened by an exit by others. Some played musical chairs. The three "superstar" writer/producers had turned into major competitors by letting some younger cats do their thing. Even James Brown and Stax were keen to bring in fresh blood and modernize their style. But Motown? They were pretty much still stuck in the 60s. The Four Tops hadn't had any top 10 pop hits since 1967 at that point! They came close once with "Still Water" a year before, but they were used to being on top.

Thanks, Bayou! I never heard the album and wondered why there was ticking on the beginning of the song. They must have cut the single from the album master.

My take on why it didn't do so well [[it did just hit #40 the Billboard Hot 100) is because it was 1971, and sounded dated, if you consider a few of the records released in that year:

Sugar Daddy - The Jackson 5
    All Day Music - War
    Treat Her Like A Lady - Cornelius Brothers and Sister Rose
    I Gotcha - Joe Tex
    Want Ads - The Honey Cone
    What's Going On - Marvin Gaye
    Mr. Big Stuff - Jean Knight
    Double Lovin' - Osmonds
    Hot Pants [[She Got To Use What She's Got To Get What She Needs) - James Brown
    Don't Pull Your Love - Hamilton, Joe Frank & Reynolds
    Let's Stay Together - Al Green
    Joy To The World - Three Dog Night
    Never Can Say Goodbye - Jackson 5

However, "Just Seven Numbers" did get to #9 on the Billboard Hot 100 Soul Singles. The fact that it didn't do very well on the pop chart was probably one more motivation for the group to leave the Motown label and sign with ABC/Dunhill, where they immediately enjoyed pop success again.

My opinion: the reason why Motown suffered during this period, despite the occasional hit from Marvin Gaye, Stevie Wonder, The Temptations, and The Jackson 5 is because they were kind of stuck. They were still concentrating on manufactured three-minute singles about love, while soul music had progressed. It got younger and funky, and the leadership at the label was stuck in the 60s. They were also starting to lose some major artists, or were threatened by an exit by others. Some played musical chairs. The three "superstar" writer/producers had turned into major competitors by letting some younger cats do their thing. Even James Brown and Stax were keen to bring in fresh blood and modernize their style. But Motown? They were pretty much still stuck in the 60s. The Four Tops hadn't had any top 10 pop hits since 1967 at that point! They came close once with "Still Water" a year before, but they were used to being on top.
    Another problem I see is that Motown glutted the market with albums from 1969-71. Many looked and sounded like they were not given much thought and were just tossed out there. Some artists had 2-3 albums issued in one year!

Oh yeah!! This was one of my mother's favorite Tops songs and is also one of mine. Too bad it was not included on the Ultimate Collection cd.

I seem to recall one of the mixes of this song using a touch tone phone sound instead of the rotary sound. Anyone else recall this?

The version of the song on Fourever does not have the ticking on the intro.

Quote Originally Posted by rovereab View Post
    The version of the song on Fourever does not have the ticking on the intro.
    I really can't remember a special intro to the song.

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    I really can't remember a special intro to the song.
    All I know is that the mono mix on the 45 had the ticking. It never bothered me, but I always wondered why it is there.

All I know is that the mono mix on the 45 had the ticking. It never bothered me, but I always wondered why it is there.
    Did it sound like perhaps a defect in the record or a special effect?

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    Did it sound like perhaps a defect in the record or a special effect?
    Neither. It's like a mic captured something it shouldn't have.

Pink Floyd- copied the ticking

Listen to Dark Side of the Moon, I think Pink Floyd appreciated the ticking

Listen to Time

Quote Originally Posted by tmd View Post
    Listen to Dark Side of the Moon, I think Pink Floyd appreciated the ticking

Listen to Time
    Pink Floyd did not copy that ticking from The Four Tops. Let's not start rumors.