[REMOVE ADS]

New Motown book shows off rare photos

Some very classic pics....Can't get over Norman Whitfield...Looked a lot different in the 80's when I would see him at my brothers house...Put on LOTS of weight by then...

Wow,dick clark with the original marvelettes.

Quote Originally Posted by StuBass1 View Post
    Some very classic pics....Can't get over Norman Whitfield...Looked a lot different in the 80's when I would see him at my brothers house...Put on LOTS of weight by then...
    Stu, you knew Norman?

Quote Originally Posted by arr&bee View Post
    That is a rare one.

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    Stu, you knew Norman?
    Yes, met Norman through my brother who worked pretty extensively with Norman in the 80's on Rose Royce, The Temptations, Last Dragon film [[they wrote the title track together), and some other stuff...Norman Jr too...Would see Norman at my brothers house...Normans grandson worked for the company I was involved with...

Quote Originally Posted by StuBass1 View Post
    Yes, met Norman through my brother who worked pretty extensively with Norman in the 80's on Rose Royce, The Temptations, Last Dragon film [[they wrote the title track together), and some other stuff...Norman Jr too...Would see Norman at my brothers house...Normans grandson worked for the company I was involved with...
    That is really awesome. I love sit and talk you sometime.

Look at how young Barney Ales was in that picture.

Marv: I had hoped you would attend the book event tonight at the Motown Museum. Did anyone who is a forum member attend this event? I did see where Barney Ales will not be attending as originally presented. Maybe he will do some future event.

Thanks for sharing! Very excited to get this book.

Quote Originally Posted by arr&bee View Post
    That doesn't look like Gladys standing between Dick Clark and Juanita. [[Or is Wyanetta the correct spelling? I've seen both and have never known which is correct.) Perhaps it's just not a good likeness of Gladys, but it really doesn't look like her to me.

Quote Originally Posted by woodward View Post
    Marv: I had hoped you would attend the book event tonight at the Motown Museum. Did anyone who is a forum member attend this event? I did see where Barney Ales will not be attending as originally presented. Maybe he will do some future event.
    Woodward.....Oh No! I missed it. My birthday was this past weekend, so I have been moving a bit slow. I would have definitely attended. I did want to meet Barney especially. I am to buy the book and yes, hopefully they will have another event that I can attend.

Quote Originally Posted by BigAl View Post
    That doesn't look like Gladys standing between Dick Clark and Juanita. [[Or is Wyanetta the correct spelling? I've seen both and have never known which is correct.) Perhaps it's just not a good likeness of Gladys, but it really doesn't look like her to me.
    That is Gladys Horton and I always spelled it "Juanita Cowart".

That is Gladys Horton and I always spelled it "Juanita Cowart".
    In Marc Taylor's book, The Original Marvelettes: Motown's Mystery Girl Group, Taylor refers to her as "Wyanetta" throughout the book, and I've seen it spelled this way elsewhere as well, although it's spelled Juanita more often. It's always perplexed me although I don't obsess on it. Maybe someone in here can shed some light on this.

Quote Originally Posted by BigAl View Post
    In Marc Taylor's book, The Original Marvelettes: Motown's Mystery Girl Group, Taylor refers to her as "Wyanetta" throughout the book, and I've seen it spelled this way elsewhere as well, although it's spelled Juanita more often. It's always perplexed me although I don't obsess on it. Maybe someone in here can shed some light on this.
    Wyanetta may be the proper spelling of the name her folks gave her. I have seen the corruption of many common names for various reasons.

I'm just amazed at how young and happy everyone in the photo looks.

Hope you had a good birthday Marv.

Quote Originally Posted by luke View Post
    Hope you had a good birthday Marv.
    I did and thanks Luke. Are going to get this book?

Probably I'm still unclear what's its like. I already knew most of the pics.

Quote Originally Posted by luke View Post
    Probably I'm still unclear what's its like. I already knew most of the pics.
    I was curious myself as to why they used the pics that they did in the article being that those are no so rare.

I see 6 guys in mustard-colored suits in the UK 1965 group photo. I checked another book and there is a different picture from the same photo-shoot also with 6 guys in the same styled suit. So who is this 6th "Temptation" on the far left?

Also, is that Dennis Edwards behind Martha Reeves?

Quote Originally Posted by johnjeb View Post
    I see 6 guys in mustard-colored suits in the UK 1965 group photo. I checked another book and there is a different picture from the same photo-shoot also with 6 guys in the same styled suit. So who is this 6th "Temptation" on the far left?

Also, is that Dennis Edwards behind Martha Reeves?
    Corneilous Grant their music director. That is not Dennis Edwards behind Martha.

Corneilous Grant their music director. That is not Dennis Edwards behind Martha.
    Thanks, marv2. Would he often wear the same "uniform" as the group, although I notice his bow tie is a bit different?

Quote Originally Posted by johnjeb View Post
    Thanks, marv2. Would he often wear the same "uniform" as the group, although I notice his bow tie is a bit different?
    He always called himself "the sixth Temptation". Their use to be an interview with him on Youtube. I will try to find it.

This is one:

Haven't seen the Smokey & Claudette, Miracles, Smokey in booth, Stevie & Berry pics. Nice to find the Marvin and Barney pic without the watermark... but it's a shame they didn't post no more. I'm sure there's more rare Marvin!

I won't be buying the book which I see is getting a lot of attention everywhere, but I don't
    need to...I don't know about your towns but in New York the public libraries are getting
    circulating copies for every branch I'm told...