[REMOVE ADS]

Holland-Dozier-Holland Question: Past, Present, and Future

I was rereading the book by Nelson George today, Where Did Our Love go, and something I had forgotten about causes me to inquire about this.

The statement is made, ". . . The Holland brothers went into semi-retirement . . . In 1980, now back on friendly terms with Motown and Jobete, the Hollands did a special promotional recording of their catalogue,Past, Present, & Future, combining rearrangements of past hits and new material. . . ."

Does anyone know anything about Past, Present, and Future? Was it an album, 45's, etc. I have not the faintest but would enjoy listening to it.

Thanks.

Would be nice to see a track listing for Yesterday, Today & Forever.

A few years ago, Lamont Dozier also recorded his "Reflections Of" album...
    Attachment 11454

https://www.discogs.com/Various-Yest...elease/6022935

and copies are available for purchase...

Quote Originally Posted by mysterysinger View Post
    A few years ago, Lamont Dozier also recorded his "Reflections Of" album...[/ATTACH]
    The Reflections album available on Amazon US does not have that track listing. It is slightly different. What country produced the disc pictured?

Thommg

I think that's the back cover of the cd you see on SDF.

I seem to recall this came out at least 2 times. I can't find my copy..it's buried somewhere

I was very excited when I got one of the restricted copies of this triple album when first issued. Sadly, it was not at all what I was expecting. As I recall the triple album was issued purely for music industry attention with the intention of getting the material covered by mainstream artists. It was not on general release. It was really a series of demos and sounded like it, with the production values suffering from an apparent desire to keep costs down. It featured a host of great talents including Lionel Ritchie and Wali Ali, but they weren't best served by the productions. Disappointing but interesting.

I assume you mentioned Wali Ali.....since he did the best track on the album! LOL

........and the later Eddie Kendricks version which was not a HDH production

Don't understand the comment re Wali Ali. Wali is a significant talent either as a guitarist for others or as an artist in his own right. Sidekick of Lamont, and major part of Zingara along with James Ingram.

excerpt from souldennis blog

Wali Ali is no stranger to the music world. He helped as a lead Guitarist The Temptations, Eddie Kendricks, Teena Marie, Rick James & Patrice Rushen just to name a few. Wali Ali has toured as guitarist with Marvin Gaye, The Jacksons. Aretha Franklin, and the Undisputed Truth. During his tenure as musical director of the world famous "Cotton Club", Wali was dubbed the "Minister of Music".
    In the mid 70s he recorded one of the rarest albums on Jobete records entitled “[[Oh I) need your loving”, but it was never released. It was released only as demo. From this ultra rare demo Lp, I have chosen the track “[[Oh I) need your loving”. This track was re-recorded by Eddie Kendricks in 1981.

Later he played guitar for Marvin Gaye on the album released in 1978. He sang as a backing vocalist for Norman Connors on the album Invitation in 1979. Also he sang together with Patrice Rushen on the song “Never Gonna Give You Up [[Won't Let You Be) “ included on her Posh album from 1980.
    The same year Lamont Dozier formed the soul group Zingara. Lamont Dozier found a trio of singers, James Ingram , Lady Bianca and Wali Ali. Lamont Dozier explains: "He was better known around the LA session circuit for his guitar playing than his singing. But he is a fantastic singer, so underrated when you think how feted he is for his guitar work. Zingara recorded one of the best sweet modern soul albums ever on Wheel Records. Wali Ali sang for Zingara two songs, entitled “Gypsy heart” and the ballad “For all of my life”.

If I remember rightly, the Margo Michaels tracks on YT&F resurfaced on her album on the Real World label.

Quote Originally Posted by theboyfromxtown View Post
    Thommg
    I think that's the back cover of the cd you see on SDF.
    I seem to recall this came out at least 2 times. I can't find my copy..it's buried somewhere
    Ahhhhh! I was looking at the mp3 download version which does not include the I Hear A Symphony R & B Mix or the Dance Mix. That's disapointing. The actual CD is more expensive than I would like. I'll have to keep an eye out for it in my travels.

Quote Originally Posted by MIKEW-UK View Post
    Don't understand the comment re Wali Ali. Wali is a significant talent either as a guitarist for others or as an artist in his own right. Sidekick of Lamont, and major part of Zingara along with James Ingram.

excerpt from souldennis blog

Wali Ali is no stranger to the music world. He helped as a lead Guitarist The Temptations, Eddie Kendricks, Teena Marie, Rick James & Patrice Rushen just to name a few. Wali Ali has toured as guitarist with Marvin Gaye, The Jacksons. Aretha Franklin, and the Undisputed Truth. During his tenure as musical director of the world famous "Cotton Club", Wali was dubbed the "Minister of Music".
    In the mid 70s he recorded one of the rarest albums on Jobete records entitled “[[Oh I) need your loving”, but it was never released. It was released only as demo. From this ultra rare demo Lp, I have chosen the track “[[Oh I) need your loving”. This track was re-recorded by Eddie Kendricks in 1981.

Later he played guitar for Marvin Gaye on the album released in 1978. He sang as a backing vocalist for Norman Connors on the album Invitation in 1979. Also he sang together with Patrice Rushen on the song “Never Gonna Give You Up [[Won't Let You Be) “ included on her Posh album from 1980.
    The same year Lamont Dozier formed the soul group Zingara. Lamont Dozier found a trio of singers, James Ingram , Lady Bianca and Wali Ali. Lamont Dozier explains: "He was better known around the LA session circuit for his guitar playing than his singing. But he is a fantastic singer, so underrated when you think how feted he is for his guitar work. Zingara recorded one of the best sweet modern soul albums ever on Wheel Records. Wali Ali sang for Zingara two songs, entitled “Gypsy heart” and the ballad “For all of my life”.
    Mike-UK

I had NEVER heard of Wali Ali until this album came out and nobody else that I knew at that time had heard of him either. So when I think of this album, since Wali's track is [[without a doubt) my absolute favourite, it's become the only track that I remember that is on the album. I dont even remember Lionel being on it. Sorry but I was unaware of this man's history and thank you for enlightening me.

I got the Margo Michaels album about the same time as the one by Sterling Harrison and I still have them but they didn't hit the spot for me.

Hi John, now I do understand. Cheers.

Here's a youtube video of some snippets from the album...
    1. Virginia McDonald and Arrival - You're what's missing in my life
    2. High Inergy - I'm gonna let my heart do the walking
    3. High Inergy - I hear a symphony
    4. Kathy McFarland - Memories [[They dance with me)

Aja "Help Me To Sing My Song"

Wali Ali on "Never Gonna Give You Up" by Patrice Rushen

Wali Ali

Name:  Wali Ali.jpg
Views: 617
Size:  101.5 KB

RossHolloway Guest
    Did anyone buy this HDH collection?

https://www.amazon.com/Complete-45s-...3YFT514SDJ0KBX

I did, and very good it is too. In my opinion, It would have been even more impressive if it had much fuller "liner notes" and historical content. Howevr, it still deserved a good deal of support and hopefully commercial success. Cheers Mike

Quote Originally Posted by RossHolloway View Post
    Did anyone buy this HDH collection?

https://www.amazon.com/Complete-45s-...3YFT514SDJ0KBX
    There's a long link on SDF about this compilation when it came out.

Quote Originally Posted by MIKEW-UK View Post
    I did, and very good it is too. In my opinion, It would have been even more impressive if it had much fuller "liner notes" and historical content. Howevr, it still deserved a good deal of support and hopefully commercial success. Cheers Mike
    I was disappointed that the original masters were not used and they were not the 45 versions..even though the box stated that it was a 45 collection

I bought it as well, but I've got used to the differing versions over the years, and don't even know which is which any more. I was happy with what we got, especially the hard-to-get and previously-unissued tracks.

Quote Originally Posted by 144man View Post
    I bought it as well, but I've got used to the differing versions over the years, and don't even know which is which any more. I was happy with what we got, especially the hard-to-get and previously-unissued tracks.
    I would have been happy with just the unissued tracks. I had everything else

Quote Originally Posted by woodward View Post
    I was rereading the book by Nelson George today, Where Did Our Love go, and something I had forgotten about causes me to inquire about this.

The statement is made, ". . . The Holland brothers went into semi-retirement . . . In 1980, now back on friendly terms with Motown and Jobete, the Hollands did a special promotional recording of their catalogue,Past, Present, & Future, combining rearrangements of past hits and new material. . . ."

Does anyone know anything about Past, Present, and Future? Was it an album, 45's, etc. I have not the faintest but would enjoy listening to it.

Thanks.
    This was the album, where eddie stated "that H-D-H made more money from the album then their entire career at Motown"!!!

That truly has to be a misstatement. Doesn't it?

As I recall didn't the lawsuit involve many millions of dollars?

Whatever happened in the lawsuit?

I would expect any settlements to the lawsuits are bound by confidentiality clauses and therefore we will never know, as was intended. However, here's a little interesting snippet from Variety... Gordy Stop With Lawsuits....

http://variety.com/2001/biz/news/gor...ts-1117797798/

Jet Magazine 1972 confirmed that all law suits had been settled amicably and no parties were allowed to make any comments....

https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=...motown&f=false

I remember Mr Gordy passing remark on Eddie Holland being the one who instigated all these lawsuits.

There was a great deal of frustration on Mr Gordy and he just hoed that Eddie would stop pursuing so many lawsuits because they were costing him a lot in legal fees.