[REMOVE ADS]

The 5th Dimension - High On Sunshine [[1978)

One of their Motown releases:

Honestly, I just can never understand, we are talking the FIFTH DIMENSION!

They were top-tier class in not only pop, not only r&b, but music, I'm talking even regulars on AM stations, shoulder to shoulders with the Carpenters, Johnny Mathis, Ray Charles, Nat King Cole, and the Sinatras.

At least them, the late sixties-early seventies.

What happened? Motown gaining Fifth Dimension should have been with just as much fanfare as Arista gaining Aretha Franklin. But the ball was not only dropped, but never given a chance to roll to begin with, beyond two albums that I'd assume the company never made any efforts, even an ounce, of promotion, because they still sounded just as "High Dimension" that made them number one scoring stars.

Or was it, that no Marilyn McCoo + Billy Davis Jr = not Fifth Dimension? Come on, they still had Florence Larue!

Quote Originally Posted by Ngroove View Post
    Honestly, I just can never understand, we are talking the FIFTH DIMENSION!

They were top-tier class in not only pop, not only r&b, but music, I'm talking even regulars on AM stations, shoulder to shoulders with the Carpenters, Johnny Mathis, Ray Charles, Nat King Cole, and the Sinatras.

At least them, the late sixties-early seventies.

What happened? Motown gaining Fifth Dimension should have been with just as much fanfare as Arista gaining Aretha Franklin. But the ball was not only dropped, but never given a chance to roll to begin with, beyond two albums that I'd assume the company never made any efforts, even an ounce, of promotion, because they still sounded just as "High Dimension" that made them number one scoring stars.

Or was it, that no Marilyn McCoo + Billy Davis Jr = not Fifth Dimension? Come on, they still had Florence Larue!
    The 5th Dimension, by the time they signed with Motown was still a high quality act. If you recall they recorded "Love Hangover" first and Motown squashed that. They may have sign them to remove some competition from the marketplace.

My apologies for the rant, Marv. Not the first time I've questioned that question here, but I still just cannot comprehend it. Maybe I am over-exaggerating that they should have been treated like royalty, even by then-equally top tier quality company like Motown. But, I suppose, they even once had legendary names like Billy Eckstine and Sammy Davis Jr aboard at some points, yet they just as did not strike up any hits for them either.

Perhaps it was, as you mentioned, removing some competition, with that the company still only concentrated on a few acts at a time, perhaps home grown sure things, Diana Ross, Smokey Robinson, and Stevie Wonder, with developing the still new but hitting Commodores.

All the same, I love "High On Sunshine" as well, it just sounds, even with a significant lineup change, so Fifth Dimension, that multi-voiced harmony, elemental higher plane euphoria sound! I suppose, since that also happened to be a Lionel Richie tune, that Motown at least did attempt to give them some quality material during their brief stint there.
    Last edited by Ngroove; 05-18-2016 at 01:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ngroove View Post
    My apologies for the rant, Marv. Not the first time I've questioned that question here, but I still just cannot comprehend it. Maybe I am over-exaggerating that they should have been treated like royalty, even by then-equally top tier quality company like Motown. But, I suppose, they even once had legendary names like Billy Eckstine and Sammy Davis Jr aboard at some points, yet they just as did not strike up any hits for them either.

Perhaps it was, as you mentioned, removing some competition, with that the company still only concentrated on a few acts at a time, perhaps home grown sure things, Diana Ross, Smokey Robinson, and Stevie Wonder, with developing the still new but hitting Commodores.

All the same, I love "High On Sunshine" as well, it just sounds, even with a significant lineup change, so Fifth Dimension, that multi-voiced harmony, elemental higher plane euphoria sound! I suppose, since that also happened to be a Lionel Richie tune, that Motown at least did attempt to give them some quality material during their brief stint there.
    There were a lot of politics also involved at Motown and with the bringing on of Suzanne DePasse, talent took a back seat to cronyism. Heck at one time Motown had Lola Falana, Diahann Carroll, Leslie Uggams and Stephanie Mills. The premier ladies of entertainment and they did very little with them and for them. Bonnie Pointer just got lucky to have a husband/producer.

Florence LaRue was married to former Motown producer Marc Gordon. So when the Fifth Dimension nearly deflated Ross's Love Hangover, Gordon approached Gordy for a deal. As others have said, there was no interest in a new Fifth at Motown, it was merely a business deal to finish sinking the group beyond recovery. Their first lp Star Dancing was the best of the two Motown albums, with several of the selections on that lp intended for Ross. Teri Bryant had joined the group and had an impressive voice. By the time of the second lp, which was merely a contract breaker with a cheap cover, new member Lou Courtney couldn't breathe any further life into the group. Florence LaRue has kept the group going for years with numerous changes.

It use to make me crazy when they [[Motown) would do things like that. Take well known veteran acts and bench them. Then turn around and develop new, garbage acts like Apollo [[who?). [[Sorry Kerry but it's true! LOL!).

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    One of their Motown releases:

Thanks for posting Marv.... I forgot abt this album. To me it has a California type soul sound. If avail, I need to download from on itunes. Classy song.

Quote Originally Posted by detmotownguy View Post
    Thanks for posting Marv.... I forgot abt this album. To me it has a California type soul sound. If avail, I need to download from on itunes. Classy song.
    You are most welcome DET. I honestly had forgotten about it too. They still were a great vocal group trying to survive in the midst of Disco and with little help from Motown.

The Fifth Dimension recorded a FANTASTIC ALBUM for Dick Clark's Click label [[part of Columbia) in 1995. It was called "In The House." That albums should have been a hit, but it bombed. The group did a great version of the Bee Gees' "How Deep Is Your Love."