[REMOVE ADS]

On Broadway - Diana Ross Project - DR/Supremes and Temptations

Another excellent review from the Diana Ross Project of the On Broadway album.

https://dianarossproject.wordpress.c...broadway-1969/

thanks for posting.. I was at the Holly Woodlawn Memorial in Manhattan today and 'you beat me to the punch"!...lol

as to the "G.I.T." album, this was my response...."this is a reflection of it’s time./.’camp’ was ‘in’. NBC’s big new hit was Rowan & Martin’s Laugh In, and this has to be seen [[and heard) in the context of that time period, and, in that context, it ain’t so bad..you young kids, I tell ya..lol.."

Quote Originally Posted by Jimi LaLumia View Post
    as to the "G.I.T." album, this was my response...."this is a reflection of it’s time./.’camp’ was ‘in’. NBC’s big new hit was Rowan & Martin’s Laugh In, and this has to be seen [[and heard) in the context of that time period, and, in that context, it ain’t so bad..you young kids, I tell ya..lol.."
    I was a young kid when this originally aired and loved it. It was NBC's attempt at big time family entertainment. Looking back at it now, the sets were cheap, the costumes and entertainers were expensive! LOL!

..and as with "T.C.B.", it was a forward breakthrough, especially in uptight white households like mine... at the time of T.C.B. I can't think of any other big national network prime time special [[or show for that matter) to feature an all black lineup.. it was thrilling to me, and probably not so thrilling in certain parts of the country, especially co-opting so much 'white music' in G.I.T. which I think was brilliant... for you young uns out there, don't worry about how 'un-groovy' some of it sounds in retrospect, and pay more attention to how ground breaking both of these events were to pop culture in the late 1960's..

And wouldn't it be fantastic if we got GIT & TCB remastered and complete on cd. [[Frankly, I'd settle for the mp3's at this point. Please don't don't respond to this with hate!!!!)

Quote Originally Posted by Jimi LaLumia View Post
    ..and as with "T.C.B.", it was a forward breakthrough, especially in uptight white households like mine... at the time of T.C.B. I can't think of any other big national network prime time special [[or show for that matter) to feature an all black lineup.. it was thrilling to me, and probably not so thrilling in certain parts of the country, especially co-opting so much 'white music' in G.I.T. which I think was brilliant... for you young uns out there, don't worry about how 'un-groovy' some of it sounds in retrospect, and pay more attention to how ground breaking both of these events were to pop culture in the late 1960's..

Jim and others are absolutely correct. This show, and hence the album, would be better reviewed with a clearer understanding of the context of the time period [[late 60s). Variety shows with sketches and musical numbers were very popular, and to have one that featured African-American entertainers exclusively was a true breakthrough. The musical arrangements and vocal performances were excellent. I love the Diana Ross Project Reviews, but in my opinion this one is way off the mark.

look at the comments page, Paul and I discuss this and he acknowledges that this era was not his era..it's understandable

Motown was on television a LOT in 1969. The Temptations Special, The Hollywood Palace debut of the Jackson Five, their Ed Sullivan Show debut, Supremes on Sullivan, Tempts on Sullivan, The Miracles, etc etc etc.

Quote Originally Posted by longtimefan View Post
    Jim and others are absolutely correct. This show, and hence the album, would be better reviewed with a clearer understanding of the context of the time period [[late 60s).
    If you look at some of the Carol Burnett shows from this time period, you will find much of the humor very broad and, now, dated. GIT is very much in that vein. There is some great singing in the show, though. And to get an idea of what a marvel TCB was on first showing, check out some of the music specials that were done around the same time. The openness of the stage and the excitement of the audience in the round really added to TCB and made it a very special special!