[REMOVE ADS]

Detroit's 100 Greatest Songs - First Installment

The Free Press published today in their online edition, www.freepress.com, the first of two installments of Detroit's 100 Greatest Songs. The first countdown covers from #100 down to #51.

I did a quick calculation of these 50 songs to see how many were Motown songs and/or Motown artists.

29 of the 50 [[58%) were Motown artists. Included were 3 of the Spinners
    Atlantic songs and 1 was a Four Tops song on Dunhill. The Supremes
    only had 2 in the last group of 50.

The top 50 will be covered in a future story.

I am not posting the link because I don't know whether I should. But go to the Free Press and click on the Entertainment link then the Music link for the full story with a small description of each song and a sound link for each.

Good review thus far in my opinion.

What I find most interesting about this list is that it illustrates what Detroit and it's artists gave to the World! Some of the most memorable music of our time and certainly of the 20th Century.

Number 80, "Could It Be I'm Falling in Love", lists Phillipe Wynne as the lead singer. That's news to me lol! He comes in at the end of the song does he not?

Quote Originally Posted by lockhartgary View Post
    Number 80, "Could It Be I'm Falling in Love", lists Phillipe Wynne as the lead singer. That's news to me lol! He comes in at the end of the song does he not?
    That was a mistake. IT was Bobby Smith's lead for the majority of the song.

Name:  av-5.jpg
Views: 227
Size:  21.1 KB
    No Dominoes, Serenaders, Thrillers, Four Jokers, Jackie Wilson, Five Jets, Five Stars, Voice Masters, Jack Scott, Royals, Midnighters, Miracles, Johnny & The Hurricanes, Enchanters, Distants, Leaping Flames, Temptations, Satintones, Eddie Kirkland, Eddie Burns, John Lee Hooker, Del Shannon, Dynamics, Fabulous Peps, Holidays, Gino Washington, Mary Wells, Martha & Vandellas, Marvelettes, Spinners on Motown, Four Tops on Motown, Dramatics, Gwen Owens, Carolyn Crawford, Velvelettes, J.J. Barnes, Darrell Banks, Junior Walker & The All Stars, Reflections, Originals, Tobi Lark, Willie Jones, Precisions, Jamie Coe, Mitch Ryder, Tim Tam & The Turn-Ons, Edwin Star.....etc. etc. ????

Quote Originally Posted by robb_k View Post
    No Dominoes, Serenaders, Thrillers, Four Jokers, Jackie Wilson, Five Jets, Five Stars, Voice Masters, Jack Scott, Royals, Midnighters, Miracles, Johnny & The Hurricanes, Enchanters, Distants, Leaping Flames, Temptations, Satintones, Eddie Kirkland, Eddie Burns, John Lee Hooker, Del Shannon, Dynamics, Fabulous Peps, Holidays, Gino Washington, Mary Wells, Martha & Vandellas, Marvelettes, Spinners on Motown, Four Tops on Motown, Dramatics, Gwen Owens, Carolyn Crawford, Velvelettes, J.J. Barnes, Darrell Banks, Junior Walker & The All Stars, Reflections, Originals, Tobi Lark, Willie Jones, Precisions, Jamie Coe, Mitch Ryder, Tim Tam & The Turn-Ons, Edwin Star.....etc. etc. ????
    Now Robb, you know it had to be some kid that put together that list. They said they sent out ballots. I didn't get one! LOL!

Quote Originally Posted by robb_k View Post
    Well, this is only the first installment; I'm sure the second portion will contain at least some of the acts you've mentioned.